So recently there has been an influx of players spamming EMP grenades (but before you disregard this and just say "USE HARDWIRED, EVERYTHING HAS A COUNTER", just read on and watch the clip, its got all the proof you need), it has become more and more obvious just how broken these guys are. The range on them is ridiculous, and thereby awards players for bad aim.
Here's my point summed up perfectly:
It's a 19 second clip, just watch where the EMP landed and tell me how that's not insanely broken and rewards piss poor performance, skill and precision.
I'm using the video as a means of showcasing the ridiculous RANGE on EMPs, to begin the discussion on the fact that:
1) Firstly, as the video shows, EMPs have ridicuous rnage.
2) With that kind of range, it rewards players NOT for precision (as you would do when using flash or stuns), but more for just chucking in a random direction and mindlessly throwing them off spawn.
3) You can EMP yourself, but it goes away INSTANTLY. You CAN'T do that with your other tactical alternatives --> Stuns and Flashes.
Do you guys see the discussion I'm trying to build here? Please don't focus so much on the video of me getting KILLED by an EMP so far away, focus on what I'm trying to get you guys to think about, which is the risks + rewards of using such a tactical grenade.
EDIT 2 - SOLUTIONS:
Someone asked for solutions, so I posted this below:
1) Reduce the spherical range of EMPs.
2) If NOT reducing the spherical range of EMPs, then have it be similar to Flash and Stuns, whereby the underlying effect is correlated to distance from explosion to affected player. In other words, the further away the EMP is, the less effect the tac grenade has on the affected player. I.e. -> in this case, less time under effects of EMP.
3) Self-induced EMPs should affect yourself the same amount of time it would affect an enemy player. The EMP effect should not go away after a split second, just as how self-induced flashes and stuns don't go away right away either.
Personally I would prefer if EMPs didn't have the ability to go through walls. I know that doesnt make sense given what "EMPs" are supposed to do, but that is besides the point. I think either of those three points above are sufficient in itself.
I don't see the problem here. You'd taken a lot of damage and the grenade went through the door and exploded almost directly underneath you, a range of what, 2 metres?
The main problem with that video is that the guy spawned close enough to throw it at you, nobody should spawn within grenade distance of an enemy.
Love the sarcasm..., No, genius, I'm not saying "EMPS ARE BROKEN OMFGBBQWTF BECAUSE LIKE THEY KILL YOU FROM EVERY DIRECTION ON THE MAP"
What I'm trying to say is, the rewards for a player running EMP is far too great given its alternatives. You can't throw a flash or stun outside of a house and affect everyone in the house. You can't throw a flash or stun at yourself and happily walk away with no effects one second later.
I'm looking at this from the perspective of, the range on these guys are broken, and the video does just that. The EMP landed OUTSIDE the house and yet affected someone inside, even managed to kill them. That just should not happen. It does not reward precision.
Great post bro, I already said don't reference Hardwired. That's not the point of this discussion.
Tactical mask can easily counter things like flash and stuns, but that does not speak to the properties of either tactical grenades. Stuns and flashes can be intrinsically broken/OP. Just because you can run a perk that disregards the effects of those weapons, doesn't mean they're not broken. That's just slapping a big band-aid over the problem and hoping the issue will go away eventually.