12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 10:01 AM by sirsmug RSS

Is your connection really good?

So since release i have had problems with BLOPS 2... until today.

I was one of the multitude of people complaining about lag compensation, about people turning around and shooting me when i had the drop on them by at least half a second and although this is not completely gone, it is MOSTLY gone.

How did i manage this? No tricks, no messing with my connection or QoS silliness. It was actually down to my connection dropping packets, something i did not even notice. I was dropping around 2% of my packets, doesn't sound like much, but it's critical in games that put so much stock on ping.

I found my problem quite by accident and like most of you i had been using pingtest.net, and speedtest.net and getting fantastic results. The problem with these websites is that the sample they use to measure your connection is tiny...

I started a ping -t to 8.8.8.8 google's DNS one night whilst i played and noticed whenever i lagged my connection had dropped a packet so i started a test.

Using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

This website allows you to setup a ping test that runs constantly to your router. It's completely free, try it and see how stable your connection REALLY is.

You may have to log onto your router and enable ping reply, ICMP reply it might be called.

Good luck and please post your results, if nothing else it will prove your connection is good!