35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 9:00 AM by maccabi RSS

Playing thru my iPhone

It´s funny how this game works, when i am playing with my ordinary connection i gets selected host many times and often in a row.Giving me a time penalty every one is ahead of me by say 0.5 s  +- 0.2 s. Having alot of hitmarkers. But when i tried to connect my Xbox too my iphone it played better, i could shoot them easier and got less hitmarkers.. Now i had the time advantage.

My ordinary connection is 50mbit down and 10 Mbit up, 11 ms ping to Stockholm (distcance 140km)

iphone internet 3G,  2mbit down 1 mbit up, 133ms ping to Stockholm!!

Lag compensation in a nutshell

• Re: Playing thru my iPhone
          TL_Bare_B_V2

Well done for becoming part of the problem.

you just want to make sure you upgrade your phone to an unlimited data plan and you are good to go.

jon3sy9

Full of crap i tried tethering my iphone and its RUBBISH! laggy as hell and waste of time playing...plus i love getting host i get 80-20 games all the time...must be other people using internet at the same time is all i can say...either that or your using poor equipment

The solution is quite simple: set up your xbox connection and change the dns server manually.

First dns: 8.8.8.8

Second dns: 8.8.8.4

This works in most cases (like your phone solution), if you want to do some more improvements read this:

http://www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/the-elagaphant/

The dns solution is done in 1 minute so try it its better then screwing up the connection for the rest of the players, that play with you.

Phone connections work fine for you but cause horrible lags for the rest.

nicedrewishfela

The reason "Lag Comp" is a problem is because people pull stunts like this.

TheHive-Grandad

What a load of rubbish, how do you know that his tethered connection is poor? Yes he will have a strict nat type but his up/down and ping might be pretty good in comparison to some ISP packages.

I tethered my phone after 4 weeks of terrible gameplay on my fibre optic and it was a huge improvement. This has since balanced out as more updates have been released or the host selection has filtered out and my fibre connection has become playable although still inconsistent. The problem is people on these forums refuse to acknowledge that some people are genuinely struggling and the fact that opting for a slower connection actually helps.

Heaven forbid that the matchmaking problems in BO2 is actually a fault caused by the game itself. Some people won't see an improvement by tethering, but that does not mean others are talking crap or lying when they say they see an improvement.

I myself was forced to use my iphone while I was traveling,  I have LTE though.  It was harder to get into lobby's(strict nat) but overall the game was very playable.  Never heard anyone complain that I was lagging them out, I even pulled host a couple of times.

nicedrewishfela

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Want to know why lag issues are more noticeable now? Because unlike even a few years ago there are more ways for people to connect.

People pay for ridiculous speeds and overload their carrier's capabilities. People tether or play off of their neighbor's wireless... we know the exploits. The more people do this, the bigger the issues are for everyone else.

Never said the game doesn't have issues, so don't put words in my mouth.

TheHive-Grandad

Sorry, the comment about faults within game wasn't aimed at yourself bud.

Perhaps the performance improvement while playing on a slower connection is merely highlighting the problem rather than being part of it? After all the matchmaking system and host selection employed in BO2 is supposed to create an even playing field, more so than previous titles. Instead it causes inconsistency in playability, not just game to game but minute to minute with multiple host migrations. It should not matter what connection speed you play on in BO2 because It supposedly matches you accordingly. If people think that tethering is causing such a big issue then these same people are inadvertently admitting that the system in place is broken.

So tethering is bad...not at all, if it is affecting gameplay for others then it's the host selection that is the problem for not choosing the best host possible rather than the average.

I mean seriously, what bright spark ever thought the average would be better?!

nicedrewishfela

The problem is.. without Lag Compensation.. you just get people literally jumping all over the place. Its an unmitigated disaster.

There needs to be improvement, there is no doubt. But its more of a challenge now than ever. Until we are all on a LAN, it will continue to be.

We all know right now that playing via phone can bring improvements for the one that uses it.

On the other hand brings this method a clear disadvantage to people you play with.

You want to know why? Simple, because this connection has irregular delays that are balanced by the lag compensation, usual you don´t even feel or realise it as a tethering user but the others do.

So I think they should implement a filter where people with well setup connections can choose with whom they play. Then it´s the problem of those that actually have the internet problem and not the other way round. That would be fair for all, people can still play with their wooden connections and the rest isn´t effected by this.

Bielsalmighty

Yep, there deffo are issues with matchmaking. I still struggle to understand why they cant just stick with a model thats working well...

I find it so weird though, I hear people talk about host disadvantage, yet whenever I pull host (usually after a ragequit ) the game plays absolutely fine for me...?

The problem is that the "lag comp" or whatever needs to be dialed down. You can call it what you want, and yes, without some comp, the game would be unplayable. That being said, in the past, lag comp existed, but not to the extent that it made a crap signal playable. In the past, if you had a bad signal, YOU lagged, it was YOU who suffered. Now, the crappier your signal, the more your compensated, thus giving an unfair ADVANTAGE. And to all those who throttle, tether, or do anything purposely to degrade your signal, calling it "trying to make the game playable", you my friends, are cheaters, exploiters, whatever. And as previously stated, are PART of the PROBLEM. Cry all you want, but if you have a terrible connection, YOU should have terrible gameplay. Sorry, but until this "comped out" game, that's the way it was, and that's the way it should be.

This. This. This!

If the solution is dependent on the User, then we are all doomed.

Come on now, it is blatantly clear that the solution must be on the developers shoulders. Tone down Lag Comp or provide dedicated servers. End. Of. Story.

Far more likely than 20 million people taking the "high road".

So now you are admitting Lag Comp is a problem

From what I've heard to have an advantage you need to either have a super fast connection 50mbps or higher or a really slow connection around 1mbps.

My city has fiber and I get 50 or higher most of the time. I'm the host almost every game and don't have many lag issues, some but not too many.

bandwidth isn't speed

this game hardly uses any of your bandwidth to start with

you can have a 1Gbps line with 100ms ping, and you still should get whooped around the map by someone that has a 1mbs line with 11ms ping

maccabi

FleurDeLilly wrote:

From what I've heard to have an advantage you need to either have a super fast connection 50mbps or higher or a really slow connection around 1mbps.

My city has fiber and I get 50 or higher most of the time. I'm the host almost every game and don't have many lag issues, some but not too many.

50 mbps isnt fast

1mbps isnt slow

they are both the same speed , seriously this has been explained g-d knows how many times now

cottonsocks

av got 40 down 2 up ping 20 limited thru my QOS router to 1mb down 128kbs up.  Works a treat now since the latest updates.  If i take the limits off i get host 90% of the time and its unplayable.  Also i have stopped rushing...

You gotta do, what you gotta do simples.....

Yea, "do what ya gotta do", why not "YOLO"? .........This IS the problem.  ME,ME, ME, ME!!!, "I'm gettin mine", even if it takes stomping on the heads of others". It is sickening seeing the amount of ppl this day and age with this very mentality. SELFISH......ya realize every time ppl stoop down to this kind of idealism, they make this world worse, not better. When so many ppl "exploit" the comp, the devs aren't seeing the "true" problems as easily thus not addressing them fully, and leaving ppl who refuse to join them, with an even more screwed up game. But hey, "the hell with errbody else, I'm gettin MINE".........

MLGTWISTED

If I had the option to play through my an iphone I would, because the lag comp on the xbox 360 is out of control.