25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 8:26 AM by SitRepPro RSS

    throttle connection ??

      hi all....can someone plz explain what this means  (im not a techy lol) and what it does..in terms of helping with lag..oh and how to do it and is it worth doing...i got a bt home hub and have accses to the hub manager to alter settings....thought it might help as this game is prone to lag at times...but must admit it is getting better no lag at all last night....just curious about this throttle thing.....thx guys

      Member
        • Test #1
          Re: throttle connection ??

          it does not improve the game, people who say it does are idiots. all you do is ruin the game for everyone else. Also intentionally throttling your connection to get an advantage is a good way of getting banned from the game and from xbl.

          Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 3:37 AM
            • Test #1
              Re: throttle connection ??

              thx for reply and advise....wouldnt know what to do anyway as i dont know what it means lol...just notice a post on it the other dad and thought what the hell are they on about...wont be delving into that any more...just use online manager once in a blue moon to check connections are ok etc..thx for taking the time to answer....i just get very curious abot thing when i dont understand them....from this ive learnt...some thing are best left alone...lol thx again

              Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 4:00 AM
                • Test #1
                  Re: throttle connection ??

                  wont make a huge difference to you but the homehub allows you to setup a rule for xbl, it helps a small bit as data to and from the game flows through it slightly better. (although the homehub isnt really the best piece of kit to use if you game alot)

                   

                  if you go into the admin panel, under port forwarding scrool down the list highlight xbox live then in the next field scroll down till you see the xbox click that save and your done

                   

                  like i said not a major difference but

                  Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 4:07 AM
                    • Test #1
                      Re: throttle connection ??

                      maccabi wrote:

                       

                      wont make a huge difference to you but the homehub allows you to setup a rule for xbl, it helps a small bit as data to and from the game flows through it slightly better. (although the homehub isnt really the best piece of kit to use if you game alot)

                       

                      if you go into the admin panel, under port forwarding scrool down the list highlight xbox live then in the next field scroll down till you see the xbox click that save and your done

                       

                      like i said not a major difference but

                      thx again macc....done that on homehub...good tip.thx...gets the info it needs to device ie xbox from xbl get it....

                      Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 4:58 AM
                  • Test #1
                    Re: throttle connection ??

                    maccabi wrote:

                     

                    it does not improve the game, people who say it does are idiots. all you do is ruin the game for everyone else. Also intentionally throttling your connection to get an advantage is a good way of getting banned from the game and from xbl.

                     

                    Evidence?

                     

                    Bit amusing if it is, philosophically speaking.

                    Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:14 AM
                      • Test #1
                        Re: throttle connection ??

                        He doesn't provide evidence, he justs says 'Everybody has always known this'.

                         

                        I called him out on something yesterday and he said that and went quiet.

                        Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:17 AM
                          • Test #1
                            Re: throttle connection ??

                            Scorr wrote:

                             

                            He doesn't provide evidence, he justs says 'Everybody has always known this'.

                             

                            I called him out on something yesterday and he said that and went quiet.

                            if you're refering to the 100ms ping thing.

                            if you bothered to read the replies people after me gave you proof.

                             

                            so apples.

                            Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:23 AM
                              • Test #1
                                Re: throttle connection ??

                                I looked back, and wrong.

                                 

                                Two replies. One suggested me to use a bridge with two xboxes. Helpful? No.

                                 

                                And another referenced another mystery Vahn twitter link that doesn't exist.

                                 

                                Your arrogance is borderline troll.

                                Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:29 AM
                                  • Test #1
                                    Re: throttle connection ??

                                    Scorr wrote:

                                     

                                    I looked back, and wrong.

                                     

                                    Two replies. One suggested me to use a bridge with two xboxes. Helpful? No.

                                     

                                    And another referenced another mystery Vahn twitter link that doesn't exist.

                                     

                                    Your arrogance is borderline troll.

                                    really? so a couple of people saying vahn tweeted what you claim wasnt true and fox the mod confirming it too isnt good enough for you?

                                     

                                    whatever its not arrogance when you're sitting in the correct corner.,

                                    Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:34 AM
                                      • Test #1
                                        Re: throttle connection ??

                                        He says two things about the thread getting a bit out of hand, and that's it. Nothing about ping.

                                         

                                        No offense to him, but he is just a forum caretaker anyway.

                                         

                                        And I have yet to find this tweet. You have provided NO HARD EVIDENCE, heresay is not evidence. If you had any schooling you would know this.

                                        Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:39 AM
                                          • Test #1
                                            Re: throttle connection ??

                                            Scorr wrote:

                                             

                                             

                                             

                                            And I have yet to find this tweet. You have provided NO HARD EVIDENCE, heresay is not evidence. If you had any schooling you would know this.

                                             

                                             

                                            i would assume if the tweet was made (and seeing as enough people said it was) and its now gone thats down to vahns pr handler asking him to remove it .

                                             

                                            either way continue being pedantic and petty over one small pointless thing if it makes you feel better, ive got better things to waste my time on

                                            Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 8:03 AM
                                              • Test #1
                                                Re: throttle connection ??

                                                Is a well known fact? How did the fact come into existence?

                                                 

                                                You didn't wake up knowing that 100ms = 4 bar connection, so where did you learn this?

                                                 

                                                I'm asking a really, really, really simple question, and nobody can seem to give me an answer.

                                                Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 8:05 AM
                                                  • Test #1
                                                    Re: throttle connection ??

                                                    Scorr wrote:

                                                     

                                                    Is a well known fact? How did the fact come into existence?

                                                     

                                                    You didn't wake up knowing that 100ms = 4 bar connection, so where did you learn this?

                                                     

                                                    I'm asking a really, really, really simple question, and nobody can seem to give me an answer.

                                                    Actually i just checked the tweet everyone told you vahn made is STILL there so apples.

                                                     

                                                    and learn? its been part of cod for years, whats wierd is ever since ive been on these forums ive stated what the bars represented, as have man others i think you're the only person who ever questioned them.  I would assume as thats because basically everyone knew

                                                    Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 8:10 AM
                                        • Test #1
                                          Re: throttle connection ??

                                          Well, not only would it be notoriously difficult to detect, it would be impossible to police due to limited resources.

                                          Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:27 AM
                                        • Test #1
                                          Re: throttle connection ??

                                          just read the tos of xbox live

                                          Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:28 AM
                                            • Test #1
                                              Re: throttle connection ??

                                              Having a written law is one thing, actually bothering to do anything with it is quite another.  As I've experienced offensive gamertags, complained about them and still see they're in use by the same person weeks later.

                                               

                                              For it to be workable you'd have to demand people have a dedicated line, and have the to be able detect it.  That isn't going to happen.  I know lag switches are fobbiden but I've never seen anything that outlaws situations where people can saturate their connection with traffic/porn to try and even up the playing field.

                                               

                                              Philosophically speaking, there's no difference in a player being overly compensated against by poor code than if the gamer used torrents to help improve his gameplay.  They both create a fake environment.

                                              Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:39 AM
                                            • Test #1
                                              Re: throttle connection ??

                                              lol

                                               

                                              People are allowed to do what they like with their connection. If they nerf their connection, that should give them worse gameplay/lag. If the GAME takes their crappy connection and makes their gameplay / lag better (or everyone elses gameplay / lag worse) then Microsoft can ban BO2 and Treyarch for this exploit.

                                              Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 7:56 AM
                                                • Test #1
                                                  Re: throttle connection ??

                                                  Arti4 wrote:

                                                   

                                                  lol

                                                   

                                                  People are allowed to do what they like with their connection. If they nerf their connection, that should give them worse gameplay/lag. If the GAME takes their crappy connection and makes their gameplay / lag better (or everyone elses gameplay / lag worse) then Microsoft can ban BO2 and Treyarch for this exploit.

                                                   

                                                  Yep.  MW3 was known to work well for people who throttled their connection with torrents and iPlayer.  Not sure about BO2 but I stated in a different thread that if players can have a near enough lag free game when this happens then something is wrong.  But if they do something about this then that might effect households who have a jack of all trades/convenience connection and that's a lot of people who've bought the game, including the parents for their electronic babysitter.

                                                  Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 8:26 AM
                                            • Test #1
                                              Re: throttle connection ??

                                              Hi Chum,

                                               

                                              Agree with Mac 356% ! Also the beast seems to be stabilizing now the Xmas influx has settled, who knows may have been a little fine tuning in the background too. We'll never really know though.

                                              Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 3:51 AM
                                                • Test #1
                                                  Re: throttle connection ??

                                                  gallp13 wrote:

                                                   

                                                  Hi Chum,

                                                   

                                                  Agree with Mac 356% ! Also the beast seems to be stabilizing now the Xmas influx has settled, who knows may have been a little fine tuning in the background too. We'll never really know though.

                                                  hi gallp.....yep i will be taking his advise  and staying well away from it....

                                                  Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 4:14 AM
                                                • Test #1
                                                  Re: throttle connection ??

                                                  Throttling bandwidth does nothing.

                                                  Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 4:09 AM
                                                  • Test #1
                                                    Re: throttle connection ??

                                                    The only players that tell you to throttle your connection are those that know nothing about how your connection even works. Oh the irony.

                                                    Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 5:12 AM
                                                    • Test #1
                                                      Re: throttle connection ??

                                                      I'll be honest, I wouldn't do anything extra with your connection. You're gonna have bad games, but you're gonna get those good games where everything feels good also.

                                                      Last Edited: Feb 2, 2013 6:11 AM