1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 7:04 PM by Griefbot Go to original post RSS
      • 60. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

Freedom of speech. I don't mind these emblems, they don't bother me.

• 61. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.
          JetEye

Freedom of Speech does not apply to offensive emblems.  Xbox Live is a service and people who play on it agreed to their terms of service.  I report each and every offensive emblem I see, and I love knowing that they are going to be emblem banned. LOL!

• 62. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

I love the custom emblem thing i love seeing the awsome emblems though there are offensive ones i love making my own more than IW's premade ones. And besides online contet is unrated so anything goes

• 63. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.
              JetEye

Nope, NOT "anything goes".  You agreed to Xbox Lives Terms of Service not to create any player content that is offensive.  Violating those terms will get you emblem banned.

• 64. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

Well then in that case then they should get banned and get reported if you the person who finds it offensive should be taking action or just move on and ignore it

• 65. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

JetEye wrote:

Nope, NOT "anything goes".  You agreed to Xbox Lives Terms of Service not to create any player content that is offensive.  Violating those terms will get you emblem banned.

Well said. The bold and underlined is all that matters, and THOSE terms have been around longer than Black Ops.

• 66. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

Pilsburybatboy17 wrote:

Well then in that case then they should get banned and get reported if you the person who finds it offensive should be taking action or just move on and ignore it

Some of it is pretty hard to ignore. Everyone has their own opinions on what is offensive to them. I actually reported one of the people on my friends list (who is also a clan member) for having an offensive emblem. (it was the standard male genitalia type emblem)

• 67. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.
                      nicedrewishfela

You all should read this... http://oneofswords.com/2012/12/editorial-ive-had-enough-of-your-black-ops-ii-emb lem-nonsense/ from Activision's Community Manager Dan Amrich. Explains their take on Offensive Emblems.

He addresses 2 of the most common arguments as seen on here.

"The champions of anything-goes emblems generally cite two arguments, which I will now refute:

1. It’s free speech!

A wartime reminder.

No, it really isn’t, but I’m glad you just learned about the Constitution in school and everything. Call of Duty’s online realm is a  loosely moderated community that sets its own standards, but don’t confuse the game you bought for $60 with a democratic institution. The truth is that, while Treyarch cannot be everywhere at once and chooses freedom of expression by default, the game space is moderated. In practice, this means you are free to express yourself until your expression infringes on someone else’s freedom — namely, their right to play a game without having to see a swastika made out of penises. Please see my earlier amusement park analogy, where I suggest you can have all the fun you want until your fun stops the fun of those around you.

If you want to exercise your freedom of speech, draw penis swastikas with your crayons offline, and maybe even call the local art gallery to see if they want to display your work. Nobody will infringe on your constitutional right to do either one. But if the art gallery declines, your right of free speech is unaffected. They just don’t want your penis artwork in their moderated gallery. And neither does the Call of Duty community.

2. The game is M-rated, and my emblem is M-rated, so who cares?

So by this ridiculous logic, the only people who would be offended by penis swastikas would be children? I’m over 18, and I don’t want to see penis swastikas. Are you suggesting you are enhancing my game with your Nazi symbol made out of wangs? You are not. You have my guarantee on this.

Yes, it’s an M-rated game. It’s not, however, an AO-rated game. “This game is intended for adults” does not mean “adults want to see penis swastikas.” It’s fine that it doesn’t offend you. It doesn’t offend your friends. It doesn’t offend maybe the 1000 people you can point to on an online forum. There are 30 million people playing Call of Duty games online. The numbers just aren’t in your favor here.

Read the Black Ops II guidelines, and you will find similar guidelines in the user agreements for major online gaming services, to which you have already agreed. If you need a reminder, check out the PlayStation Network Terms of Service (“you are prohibited from transmitting any content that SCEA, in its sole discretion, finds offensive, hateful or vulgar”), Xbox Live’s Code of Conduct (“Don’t create in-game content that other users may be offended by”) and the charmingly obvious Steam Subscriber Agreement (“Your online conduct and interaction should be guided by common sense and basic etiquette”). M-rated games appear on their services all the time, yet they still have a baseline of accepted behavior and a standard for user-generated content."

• 68. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.
                        starbuckfrack

JetEye wrote:

Freedom of Speech does not apply to offensive emblems.  Xbox Live is a service and people who play on it agreed to their terms of service.  I report each and every offensive emblem I see, and I love knowing that they are going to be emblem banned. LOL!

I love in the lobby when I come upon some quickscoper with a blank emblem.

BTW I was thinking of the amusement park analogy in this thread but decided against it.

• 69. Re: What was Treyarch thinking bringing back custom emblems.

I got to agree with you on that. But you do use a service which Treyarch owns. So what they say goes. I just really don't understand one of their rules.

Report for lanauge?? I mean you put a *MUTE* option in the game. It's just funny how people will report someone for talking trash about them. I mean do the mature thing and mute them.

~THE NOOB KILLER

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next