9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 11:16 AM by cuddlemonster69 RSS

Party matchmaking and host selection is the real issue...

rankismet

I like to game with my friends/clan... but this game is making it very, very hard to do so.

I run by myself... connection is fine 90% of the time.

Run with a party from the west coast... it's okay.

Run wth a west coast party leader with people beyond Iowa...

... fuhgetaboutit.

Party matchmaking and host selection are what has made this game more frustrating than any previous COD. I've gamed with the same group for 5 years... and this has never been an issue before.

What did they do different with BO2 and how can it fixed?

It needs to be.

• Re: Party matchmaking and host selection is the real issue...
          Adeeez100

Something is deffinitely a miss, today i have been playing with my settings just for curiosities sake, to no avail. I have settled once again on my original settings, other online multiplayer games run fine.

To be honest though i mostly run solo and i still have major issues with this game.

More so I have More so an issue with the matchmaking on the League selections. As soon as I got a good thing going, I get booted and penalizes for apparently "leaving the game" when clearly someone else disconnected. Not sure how that works

I agree.  The way this game chooses host and the way it finds lobbies is what it all boils down to when you want good games.  It's not Lag Compensation or it's not some magical device that is throttling your "UBER 1337 pro connection".  If you get into a lobby where everyone is super far away from the host on one team and the other is really close to the host, you're gonna have a bad time. 

blb128

Finally someone that knows what they are talking about. I get sick of the I have an awesome connection and everyone else has a poor connection so they have an advantage threads. Distance to the host matters the most IMO. You are correct about one team being close to the host and the other being far away. It doesnt mean one team has terrible connections. Lobbies like this dont run well for anyone.

AR76

What do you mean by far away?  Where I am at I can ping New York City and Los Angeles, CA both with less than 50ms time.  What I, and others are tired of experiencing is the disavantage that this game puts you at to players who seem to be able to shoot at you without you even realizing they are there.  And a lot of these players are posting some really big scores.  For instance, last night a teammate of mine went 96-6, I noticed that on several occasions he was teleporting and winning 2 or 3 on 1 battles at close range.  This has been a common failing of these games since the first modern warfare.  That's not lag it's glitching and there are lots of tutorials on how to do it.  There is a simple fix for this, there was in CoD 4 for PC at least, low-ping lobbies with lag comp disabled.  I mean I can ping anyone anywhere in the continent of North America at under 100 ms, and just to be certain that we are on the same page here, that's one tenth of a second round trip.  That means I send someone a message and there machine contacts me back in that time.  Even 100 ms lobbies can't break this down to lag as I've played steam games with 150 ms pings and they've been as smooth as butter.  Games, which I might add are older than CoD4 and are intolerant of things like out-of-order packet reception and significant packet loss.

rankismet

If someone can show me where skill based MM was enabled for pubs, that would be great.

To my knowledge, it is ping based.... but how does it work with a party?

I know I cannot find the answer.

Dunno if this will help much, but a party of me and my friends who use Sky and Virgin could hardly ever get a decent game together without at least one of us going horribly negative. Yesterday we all changed our primary DNS to the same servers and we had a good few games where we all felt hit detection was good. We all live in the same city, but as one of the Sky users line was a BT line his xbox had put his DNS as his routers IP address which sounded strange.

This hasn`t been tested over a week, only an hours play or so, and it could be placebo, but it felt like we got into more equal matches than we ever did before. If you find gaming with a party is aweful give it a try as it seems to have helped a bit for us. I`ll post back in this thread tomorrow with more results from tonights game play to say if it still feels good.

Playing solo changing DNS didn`t seem to do anything, but in a party from the same area and all using the same DNS did seem to improve our game.

Like I said though it could be placebo or just a lucky nights lag free gaming. Never had to do this on other shooting games with them.

rankismet wrote:

Party matchmaking and host selection are what has made this game more frustrating than any previous COD. I've gamed with the same group for 5 years... and this has never been an issue before.

Where on earth were you during MW3?!?!

I play with 2 groups usually, a full team of me + 5 real life friends, all located within 40-50 miles from me and 2nd group of friends made from xbox live that are from the illinois/michigan area, roughly 800 miles away from me. Guess which group i get lag with more. My local friends. Makes zero sense knowing 6 people in the lobby are local and still piss poor hit detection occurs but when i play with someone 1/2 way across the US i can sometimes land shots.