39 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 11:01 PM by SmeffectS RSS

Iron Sights are TOO good!

Anyone else think that iron sights are a little too precise and clear?

Anyone who has fired a rifle will understand that if you focus your eyes on the foresight, the target is a blurry mess. If you focus your eyes on the target, the foresight is then a blurry mess.

My opinion is that a sight attachment is just a wasted slot, and has been since cod4, apart from on guns that have huge visible recoil.

Some of the sight attachments look pretty, but they take up valuable screen space. (Not as bad as the Type 95, which had the sight attachment on top of the carry handle, taking up half the screen!)

Other than gimmicky uses like the MMS, using iron sights gives a free slot for anything else.

What I propose is a greater difference between using them, eg, blurry sight picture at range, lower rifle when prone. Scopes could perhaps glint, but provide crystal clear images like the AcOg does in real life. Just a thought .

• Test #1
          Re: Iron Sights are TOO good!

Nerf the Iron sights, Treyarch. Listen to your fans!

/s

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 9:13 AM
          • Test #1

In a game where the skill gap has been narrowed, iron sights are 1 advantage more experienced players have. They can afford to fore-go the RDS (red dot sight) for something more practicle, while less experienced players may rely on the RDS.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 9:11 AM
            • Test #1

I don't see a HUGE disparity with the iron sights. I would rather they fix the spawning problems (base flipping, trapping, and revenge spawns) and readdress the Ghost perk before they spent more time trying to reinvent attachments for weapons.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 9:12 AM
              • Test #1

Have you also noticed when you aim they go to the center of your face?

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 9:15 AM
                • Test #1

I've never heard this one before... wow

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 10:48 AM
                    • Test #1

Name some benefits over using a sight attachment over the iron sights. No gimmicky feature will beat the fact that iron sights are free, pinpoint accurate and share the greatest aim assist stats. MMS is gimmicky and Target Finder is useless if you have eyes. If we had overgrown maps where snipers could snipe from grassy positions then these sights would be great, but the back of Drone doesn't cut it.

A change to the iron sights would nerf smg accuracy considerably at range, slightly buff lmg accuracy at range, and keep assault rifles right where they should be, jack of all trades. All relatively speaking.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 11:36 AM
                    • Test #1

while i'll agree that the iron sites are all pretty good, i'll disagree on changing them. it all comes down to personal preference. it's always been about personal preference, not about necessity.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 11:30 AM
                      • Test #1

Not a key issue or one devs should be investing time into at this stage. Sorry.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 11:45 AM
                          • Test #1

We can dream. The spawns haven't been fixed for 6 Call of Dutys now, they got away with it on other call of Dutys because the maps weren't all tiny, we know they won't change the spawn system but we all complain anyway.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 12:23 PM
                          • Test #1

Nope I would rather they not change this. Who cares if it doesn't work exactly like in real-life. I haven't seen any soldier control a VTOL personally or call in a squad of dogs after a few kills. So the, "this isn't real thus it sucks" argument; blows.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 11:53 AM
                              • Test #1

My 'Optical sights provide little use over a free sight' is a valid argument. You go use your red dot that obscures at range, or use an ACOG with no clear aiming mark on the reticule.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 12:01 PM
                                  • Test #1

A red-dot sight is far better than an iron-sight on many ARs in this game at mid-long range considering the recoil of a couple of guns will **** up your aiming bad at long-range with iron-sights.

So there definetly is a clear advantage to having a red-dot sight over iron sights. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean nobody else does.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 12:05 PM
                                      • Test #1

I agree, though that's because of the OTT visible recoil they put in. Well done, first legit response on this thread.

Any idea which assault rifles off the top of your head? I know the SCAR is one, because they pre-nerfed it with high visible recoil, low ROF and low damage.

Last Edited: Nov 24, 2012 12:10 PM
                                  • Test #1

Irons have always been great in COD. I only use optics in this game for aesthetic reasons, and to get challenges done. I just can't stand looking at some of the irons in this game (like the Type 25, it's just ugly).

In some games, Irons count as an attachment. So I guess if you really want to bring a change to it, you could make it use up an attachment slot, so it's treated like an optional optic? Or have BUIS, that you can toggle to, no matter what optic you are using?

Last Edited: Apr 21, 2013 2:19 PM
                                    • Test #1

This is a troll right? 8)

Last Edited: Apr 21, 2013 8:57 PM
                                      • Test #1

I done heard it all. Iron sights too powerful? You are kidding me? I use nothing without a sight attachment. I see all you players that use iron sights and give 100% credit for having skills. 100% credit! 100% Skillz

Last Edited: Apr 21, 2013 9:03 PM
                                        • Test #1

Now I'm really hoping the person who started this thread is bored and doing online forum trolling like the cool kids do. Once the fanboys of this game realize its an ARCADE shooter, not real life, maybe the OP weapon, lag, and hit detection complaints via forums and social network will dwindle down a bit. It will hurt a little less when you can shrug your shoulders after you die from a extended mag laser sight PDW hipfire spray from across the 2 windows in meltdown. Bottom line, this game is the most balanced CoD ever. Didnt say the most FUN CoD, but BALANCED..

On another note, I'm glad stopped using any type of sights since my late CoD4/MW2 days, it actually means something in this game! Iron Sights FTW!

Last Edited: Apr 21, 2013 9:37 PM
                                            • Test #1

Topic creator what you describe is idiotic, it already happens in the game if we used weapons like IRL, we would have to close one eye. The fact of the matter is that if you look at your CoD screen and focus on your sights, you miss whats around the edge of your screen. Its called tunnel vision, because of your eye focus.

But its not actually happening because you dont even look at your sights, most player dont realise it but they are simply aiming using the center of their screen out of machnical memory. That is why the game uses things like spread in hip fire, because otherwise people would not even bother ADS if the bullets would go directly to the center of their screen. EI: see every other shooter that dont have ADS. Iron sight in this game are actually done to impede your ease of aiming with a blockage in your screen. The other sights have a pretty simular organisation, but offer greater zoom or other features and generally add even more blockage to balance.

ADS was not made to make you aim better, it was made to impede your aiming with cluther. But in order to force you to ADS, weapons are next to uncontrolable outside of it, trying to make it a little more challenging.

Last Edited: Apr 21, 2013 11:01 PM