1 38 39 40 41 42 Previous Next 6,020 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 12:07 AM by kastro187420 Go to original post RSS
      • 390. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

Hello Ghandi,

thanks to candyslexia reformatting the hotfixlist it is now a little easier to comment on your efforts so far. To be honest it is a little shocking how little was achieved in so much time, so many word and TUs. I'm not talking about the fixes of bugs and glitches that shouldn't have made it through QA anyway but basic game mechanics that people complained about since day 1.

LAG/SYNC: Since TU3 nearly every TU claims to have further adressed Lag issues and network optimization. Let me ask you a question. Early on you called this a issue only experienced by a minority. Also you admitted you weren't able to reproduce what we described or sent you (also you weren't able to comment it;) so what were you tweaking on? There is only one TU that's kind of explicit about dealing with 1-2 vs. 3-4 bars connection. Explicit but not merely sucessfull. You repeatedly claimed that the communities throttling and/or tampering of connection makes it harder to get a grip on the problem and I must honestly say that it's the other way around. You make it easy for certain players to ruin your complete franchise by holding on to the concept of leveling down the playing field so that anybody can have fun. Like I said many times it is easy to fake a bad connection but impossible to fake a good one. That being a fact it makes your way of lag-comp highly abusable and there is no way to tweak this but only to set it straight. Good is good and bad is bad. Even if your matchmaking is going to be spot on one day people still can get you that "one second behind". Even if we go back to host advantage and possible lag-switching this is just one out of 12 or 18 players while your current system can get abused by any player.

Matchmaking: When the game came out I thought you got it spot on this time because it was impossible for me to get matched with anything other than germans. When the uproar of remote players and unsupported regions came, it became obvious that you just did some region fencing that had nothing to do with quality of connection. When you losened that up it went haywire and we got matched with half the planet so to say. Problems even got worse when you fragmented the playerbase by even more community modes and the rotten concept of elite drops vs. DLC. Now we're at some point where giveaways and discounts make Elite a scam just to enlarge the playerbase for the maps we purchased but can't enjoy playing.  You reduced all your playlists to TDM and Infection because any other mode does not provide enough players to get a good match thanks to splitting playerbase into 5 different setups (no DLC, both DLC, only DLC1, only DLC2, Elite). How will you ever fix this??? And who is going to call 3ARC to tell them that giving out a single map for pre-orders will be the first nail for their coffin?

So by reading those 16+ Title Updates im not impressed at all. Appart from some balancing (FMG, Shotguns, DMH and Blast Shield) you only fixed the many bugs and glitches that emerged time after time. The excellent core mechanics that were a COD trademark remain in shambles. Just saying.

• 391. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

Quick Scoping is fine. He did hit you. You ever even try to Quick Scope? It's the Killcam. Killcams never show what really happens. Everything is always delayed. You ever see a Quick Scope killcam, and you don't even see the scope's sights? He actually did fully aim, the killcam just off.

And honestly, without Quick Scoping snipers will suck, and no one will use them. Quick Scoping also helps normal snipers. In Black Ops, trying to snipe normally was dreadful.

Rubbish.

There is nothing wrong with the killcams. Please stop pushing this nonsense.

Think about the only times you ever get to see your own killcam, ie in the game winning killcam. I have never, ever, since they were introduced seen anything even remotely different in my game winning killcams from what had actually just happened.

I've also QS'd myself for a bit of a laugh on ocassion and have been left pretty embarrassed at some of the kills I've gotten where I know I was nowhere near the guy.

• 392. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

rainmaker6 wrote:

Brick2urFace wrote:

Those telemetry tools they put in a month ago showed them that their were errors in the mathematical principles that their matchmaking regions are based on.  They have been able to narrow down these errors to a few segments of code and will be fixing that shortly.  So we will be getting better matchmaking with less disparity between player's pings so the lag comp won't have as large of an effect. 

30-Jun-2012 8:47 PM (in response to rainmaker6)

G IH A IN ID II wrote:

The next of the upcoming matchmaking changes we expect to occur first on PS3 within days rather than weeks. I hope that answers your question. As I said precise details will be provided by the community team as they occur and are proven to have an impact.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

The story constantly changes.

How are these statements incompatible rainmaker6? You're getting information from the community team as changes occur. You will be given more, and asked for feedback, when they go live.

To be totally transparent, there is nothing wrong with the code which spatially partitions the world into regions. The mathematics that transforms a 3d space, the world, into a 2d space for the purposes of match making is functioning correctly. The algorithm, however, does create some spatial boundaries where non contiguity of regional adjacency can occur. It is this that we have determind through our telemetry data analysis. The question we face is how to remedy this problem.

The first of the changes which addresses the issues this presents is going live on PS3 within days.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

• 393. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

bo2000 wrote:

Hello Ghandi,

thanks to candyslexia reformatting the hotfixlist it is now a little easier to comment on your efforts so far. To be honest it is a little shocking how little was achieved in so much time, so many word and TUs. I'm not talking about the fixes of bugs and glitches that shouldn't have made it through QA anyway but basic game mechanics that people complained about since day 1.

LAG/SYNC: Since TU3 nearly every TU claims to have further adressed Lag issues and network optimization. Let me ask you a question. Early on you called this a issue only experienced by a minority. Also you admitted you weren't able to reproduce what we described or sent you (also you weren't able to comment it;) so what were you tweaking on? There is only one TU that's kind of explicit about dealing with 1-2 vs. 3-4 bars connection. Explicit but not merely sucessfull. You repeatedly claimed that the communities throttling and/or tampering of connection makes it harder to get a grip on the problem and I must honestly say that it's the other way around. You make it easy for certain players to ruin your complete franchise by holding on to the concept of leveling down the playing field so that anybody can have fun. Like I said many times it is easy to fake a bad connection but impossible to fake a good one. That being a fact it makes your way of lag-comp highly abusable and there is no way to tweak this but only to set it straight. Good is good and bad is bad. Even if your matchmaking is going to be spot on one day people still can get you that "one second behind". Even if we go back to host advantage and possible lag-switching this is just one out of 12 or 18 players while your current system can get abused by any player.

Matchmaking: When the game came out I thought you got it spot on this time because it was impossible for me to get matched with anything other than germans. When the uproar of remote players and unsupported regions came, it became obvious that you just did some region fencing that had nothing to do with quality of connection. When you losened that up it went haywire and we got matched with half the planet so to say. Problems even got worse when you fragmented the playerbase by even more community modes and the rotten concept of elite drops vs. DLC. Now we're at some point where giveaways and discounts make Elite a scam just to enlarge the playerbase for the maps we purchased but can't enjoy playing.  You reduced all your playlists to TDM and Infection because any other mode does not provide enough players to get a good match thanks to splitting playerbase into 5 different setups (no DLC, both DLC, only DLC1, only DLC2, Elite). How will you ever fix this??? And who is going to call 3ARC to tell them that giving out a single map for pre-orders will be the first nail for their coffin?

So by reading those 16+ Title Updates im not impressed at all. Appart from some balancing (FMG, Shotguns, DMH and Blast Shield) you only fixed the many bugs and glitches that emerged time after time. The excellent core mechanics that were a COD trademark remain in shambles. Just saying.

Well it felt like a lot of work at the studio bo2000 I can assure you that. We are entering a period where we hope we will finally address the issues with the core mechanics to which you refer.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

• 394. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

G IH A IN ID II wrote:

To be totally transparent, there is nothing wrong with the code which spatially partitions the world into regions. The mathematics that transforms a 3d space, the world, into a 2d space for the purposes of match making is functioning correctly. The algorithm, however, does create some spatial boundaries where non contiguity of regional adjacency can occur. It is this that we have determind through our telemetry data analysis. The question we face is how to remedy this problem.

You need telemetry data to see this??? You could read this out of hundreds of thousands of posts that MW3 matches us with not even close neighbour countries and worse. At no given time of the day on any given day of the week in any given mode the game is capable of creating a lobby with just players from my country. Instead I'm playing with french, english, swedish, polish and whannot players.

• 395. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

G IH A IN ID II wrote:

Well it felt like a lot of work at the Studio bo2000 I can assure you that. We are entering a period where we hope we will finally address the issues with the core mechanics to which you refer.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

Fixing things after releasing a game requires more work naturally. I'm not going to play the public beta card but maybe calculations will prove this a efficient instrument for future (?) releases of yours. But tell me how are you going to fix fragmentation of the playerbase. removing gametypes and giving away map packs for free? How are you going to fix sync issues by "only" better matchmaking.

• 396. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
                    vims1990

Hi GHANDI,

I've got a question regarding Stingers & Juggernauts.

Was the a change in taking out Juggernauts using a Stinger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBwEYH6yuW0

Whenever I try to lock onto a Juggernaut, nothing happens.

Not sure if the devs altered what the Stingers locked onto.

I can lock onto Assault Drones but not Juggernauts.

• 397. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

within days = First one will be coming to PS3 Thursday night at roughly 2am. More changes to come though (Mark rubin tweet), or tomorrow morning.

We have good hopes for these coming days, i cross my fingers.

• 398. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

bo2000 wrote:

G IH A IN ID II wrote:

You need telemetry data to see this??? You could read this out of hundreds of thousands of posts that MW3 matches us with not even close neighbour countries and worse. At no given time of the day on any given day of the week in any given mode the game is capable of creating a lobby with just players from my country. Instead I'm playing with french, english, swedish, polish and whannot players.

There are other conditions which can cause matchmaking between disparate regions which are separate from that which I mentioned. We believe we also have ways to address these although it's not always as simple as it appears. For example, we found that a percentage of users at any time are not registered in any location due to unregistered Internet backbone components. Even though we keep our map of the Internet constantly refreshed a percentage of players are always in flux and have no official home. We are now implemeting a fix for this. The telemetry data has shown us this.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

• 399. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion

Elricco wrote:

within days = First one will be coming to PS3 Thursday night at roughly 2am. More changes to come though (Mark rubin tweet), or tomorrow morning.

We have good hopes for these coming days, i cross my fingers.

I've asked Activion's first party team that question this morning. You'll be informed through the usual channels and here as soon as we hear. I doubt it will be today, however.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

1 38 39 40 41 42 Previous Next