9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 10:25 PM by That5What5Up RSS

Client-Side Hit Detection

At the moment, hit detection in this game is based solely on connection. Hit detection is a server-sided thing. If you're on the wrong side of the connection, you get no hitmarkers, and this is often the case due to the lag issues this game currently has. The only possible explanation I see for this system is to prevent getting shot around corners. However, the game already searches for <100 ms games and even then if you're getting shot around a corner, the high bullet damage and strong aim assist in this game means you would have probably died anyways.

Make hit detection client-side. This would get rid of a lot of complaints about lag and make weapons much more consistent. If not now, do it after the lag and freezing issues have been fixed.

I am one of the better players at this game and I can clearly see how well I do correlates directly with how well hit-detection decides to work that game. I have shot people who have just spawned from tactical insertions and can count 1-3 bullets that don't register at all. It doesn't really matter then, but in a gunfight it makes a world of difference.

All this means is when I shoot someone I should always get a hitmarker. It does not mean I should get the kill even if it seems as though I shot enough bullets or shot them first. That is a sacrifice we must make to add some consistency to this game. I'm sure a multi-billion dollar company like Infinity Ward could get some guys to design a system that would work well with this game.

• Re: Add Client-Side Hit Detection
          maccabi

Moejoe The God wrote:

At the moment, hit detection in this game is based solely on connection. Hit detection is a server-sided thing. If you're on the wrong side of the connection, you get no hitmarkers, and this is often the case due to the lag issues this game currently has. The only possible explanation I see for this system is to prevent getting shot around corners. However, the game already searches for <100 ms games and even then if you're getting shot around a corner, the high bullet damage and strong aim assist in this game means you would have probably died anyways.

Make hit detection client-side. This would get rid of a lot of complaints about lag and make weapons much more consistent. If not now, do it after the lag and freezing issues have been fixed.

I am one of the better players at this game and I can clearly see how well I do correlates directly with how well hit-detection decides to work that game. I have shot people who have just spawned from tactical insertions and can count 1-3 bullets that don't register at all. It doesn't really matter then, but in a gunfight it makes a world of difference.

client side hit detection would cause so many more problem it would make the game unplayable, it is the worst possible thing you can have in an online game .period

maccabi wrote:

Moejoe The God wrote:

client side hit detection would cause so many more problem it would make the game unplayable, it is the worst possible thing you can have in an online game .period

Consistency is the best thing you can have in an online game.

ttiKmAI

you do realize that client side hit detection won't work because it still has to relay all the information back to the server, say someone killed you and the hit detection on their xbox says they killed you and then relayed the info to the server, what happens is you die without the realtime reaction because their xbox rather than the server said you died. basically you could expect alot more wtf deaths a few seconds after the encounter.

Only the hit detection part alone should be processed client-side. Death and everything else would remain untouched.

ttiKmAI

how exactly would that work any differently than what I just stated?

You shoot 30x and get 30x hit markers and your opponent does the same(now obviously thats ovrkill on the amount but I'm proving a point)

clearly your opponent is dead, however since the server still has to process that info from every xbox and determine "when" the hitmarkers actually occourred and not just "when" the server recieved the info the timelines would hardly ever be accurate, either you would die or they would. You most likely still wouldn't be able to believe it because the idea of I shot first, emptyied a mag into him and I still died will win out over the logic of his connection allowed him to recieve the data from the server faster and send it back faster wouldn't apply.  A server side detection system lets the game send it out as it gets the info and legitimately is the absolute best way to handle it unless you happen to be system linked.

nuttin2say

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I had my response:

No.

gallp13

This gamer is confident that if OP understood what (s)he is suggesting (s)he would not have made this post. Suggest the words of the wise may provide insight.

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/1849

Praise the Maccabee

mdub

Moejoe The God wrote:

I do not condone the use of the word "fail" in these forums. After reading this, I will make an exception.