1 2 3 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 12:18 AM by Adam1234567893 RSS

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

teanah

Earlier today Mark Rubin shared some info about Ghosts:

 

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

  • 1. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    LifeSong1

    The real question for all PS fans is does "Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts" mean that PS will also get Dedicated servers or is that only for the Xbox? That should have been confirmed in his post...let the speculation resume...

     

    For those looking for the source link - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpgkjd

  • 2. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    biron_w

    When asked about PS he says "I can't call out other platforms by name but one might assume that from what I wrote."

    I've said before that I thought all platforms would get servers but I also think the deal they have for exclusive content for X1 comes with a clause saying they can't say which other platforms will have dedicated servers.

    COD is a massive game and for MS to brag they're platform is  the only one with servers would get more people to buy the X1.

  • 3. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    rankismet

    teanah wrote:

     

    Earlier today Mark Rubin shared some info about Ghosts:

     

    GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

     

    Thanks, Teenah.

     

    One question... how will matchmaking be handled in a party?

     

    • Is a lobby found based off the party leader's connection?
    • If so, is the leader pinging anyone in the lobby or is it only the host (listen server)?
    • Once in the lobby, are the open slots filled based on anyone in the room or only the host (listen server)?

     

    Dedicated servers solve host selection but how the hybrid approach will work is unclear.

  • 4. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    surridge1990

    How will the hybrid system work?

     

    Will it be like a pot luck system where some lobbies are hosted on dedis and some on listen servers? Or will certain modes (TDM/CTF etc) be all dedi or all listen?

     

    Or will it be something like squads mode gets dedis and regular public mp lobbies get the listen servers?

  • 5. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    maccabi

    rankismet wrote:

     

     

    One question... how will matchmaking be handled in a party?

     

    • Is a lobby found based off the party leader's connection?
    • If so, is the leader pinging anyone in the lobby or is it only the host (listen server)?
    • Once in the lobby, are the open slots filled based on anyone in the room or only the host (listen server)?

     

    Dedicated servers solve host selection but how the hybrid approach will work is unclear.

    I doubt very much Iw would revert back to the clusterfug of all party matchmaking it causes way too many problems.

    When m,atchmaking the party leader should only be pinging the server be it a dedi or a listen server same as its always been

    open slots would be filled the same way as previous games the game will place anyone in that slot if that slot is the best session available at that time.

    On dedis there obviously wouldnt be host selection as the dedi is host on the listen servers it would still perform a host race to determine the best host from the pool of players in the session,

  • 6. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    rankismet

    maccabi wrote:

     

    rankismet wrote:

     

     

    One question... how will matchmaking be handled in a party?

     

    • Is a lobby found based off the party leader's connection?
    • If so, is the leader pinging anyone in the lobby or is it only the host (listen server)?
    • Once in the lobby, are the open slots filled based on anyone in the room or only the host (listen server)?

     

    Dedicated servers solve host selection but how the hybrid approach will work is unclear.

    I doubt very much Iw would revert back to the clusterfug of all party matchmaking it causes way too many problems.

    When m,atchmaking the party leader should only be pinging the server be it a dedi or a listen server same as its always been

    open slots would be filled the same way as previous games the game will place anyone in that slot if that slot is the best session available at that time.

    On dedis there obviously wouldnt be host selection as the dedi is host on the listen servers it would still perform a host race to determine the best host from the pool of players in the session,

     

    That's what kinda concerns me... and what I see as an issue now.

     

    Party of six comes into a lobby based on leader's ping to the current host of the lobby. New players match based on their ping to anybody already in the lobby. Then the game finds a host.

     

    This causes really poor connections.

     

    Players joining the lobby should only ping to the host.And a lobby host should never change unless that host leaves. That makes things a lot better.

     

    Perhaps that is what they are implementing... not passing judgement until I see how stable it is.

     

    Dedis solve this but I suspect I will be matched into a lot listen lobbies...

  • 7. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    iAmEFFeX

    This is great news and really confirms the suspicions that I've had all along.

     

    I think that these guys get a bad wrap, but I really like that Infinity Ward has been stepping up and doing their best with the little amount of time they've had since MW3.

  • 8. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    biron_w

    Mark Rubin said players will get put in the best session. So if there isn't a dedicated near you and a listen server is a better option then you'll be put on that.

  • 9. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
    sTevyHD

    A few things. When you say Dedicated Servers, my mind takes me back to COD2 and COD4 on PC (not 5 because it stunk).
    So I am wondering, with dedicated servers for Xbox:

    • Will host have power over maps and gametypes? example 24/7 Freefall
    • Will they still be ranked servers?
    • Can hosts change all the settings as they use to with normal Dedicated Servers? example no killcam, no noobtubes 10 players only
    • Do we purchase these dedicated servers or can we/do we use our Console and home connection?
    • Can we pick a server from a list of servers to join?


    If any of these questions could be answered it would be great.

1 2 3 Previous Next