13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 7:19 PM by mcdonamw RSS

cloud servers or p2p???

DrEggsta

I thought that ghosts on xbox one was going to utilize the xbox cloud servers for dedis & do away w/the peer to peer hosting. I feel like that is not true. seems peer to peer is in full effect.

• Re: cloud servers or p2p???
    gotsomestars

Why do you say that?

starbuckfrack

Cloud Servers dont run the game. Cloud Servers run the software that runs games, at least for COD. Cloud servers number around 300 thousand.

COD uses what is called Thunderbird or something like that. Very likely called choopa servers.

Its a hybrid system of listen servers and dedis. They announced that on October 5th or around that date. That listing is in the General Section of the forum.

I'm told CoD Ghosts for consoles uses both: dedicated servers and P2P ones, mostly due to the amount of matches, Activision doesn't seem to have enough money to have exclusive dedicated servers only [/sarcasm].

Sometimes you play in a P2P and sometimes in a dedicated server, tho the dedicated servers are way more rare to see.

FalconR6

Also a matter of where you live. If cod only used dedicated servers, then some folks would not be able to connect. Thus cod uses the hybrid system ensuring everyone can play.

Btw - there is no visual indication of whether you are playing on a dedi or in a listen server lobby.

killingfetish

There is a visual indication. When your not on dedicated servers between matches it will say "finding best host". When the game first released I was playing on nothing but dedicated servers, no "finding best host" between matches, no host migrations, flawless connection. For the last few weeks it's been a host migration lag fest. The population doubled yet I never get a dedicated server and there's no way possible some of the matches I've played in offer me the "best" connection as they claim. I can leave a match and repeatedly get put into the same terrible lobby forcing me to play a diff game type to escape the lag.

DrEggsta

the announcement I read was that IW was going to use the cloud for a type of dedis & move away from p2p. anyways, I can't prove this isn't the case but my experience is the same on the xbox one as it was on the 360. I can have a game where my shots connect & a game where my shots don't connect & go through the person I am shooting. in fact, one game I shot a person dead center mass but got no hit detection & so I shot again but i missed mid to the right yet got the kill. wth??? lag is just as much of an issue on the one as it was on the 360. all these probs were circumstances of p2p hosting. so if they are using the cloud instead of p2p like they said then I am calling bull.

starbuckfrack

No one promised a lag free experience on the one, even if you are connecting to a dedicated server you can still get the same lag issues. Mostly you just wont get host migrations and hackers.

No offense but if you read that then your source added way too much into it than the actual reporting. Thats not Activisions fault. I would blame the reporter.

On two side notes, the game runs on listen server type and not P2P (some differences there) , and word in some circles is that since PING is getting better every year with them upgrading the lines constantly Dedicated Servers on all but PCs might be a thing of the past.

I know sometimes I say P2P when I mean listen servers but I do it cause I am lazy

DeathUrge

Game Informer posted an article a couple of weeks into the Xbox One, and the only game listed to use cloud servers currently is Forza. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/12/10/keep-tabs-on-which-xbox-on e-games-use-the-cloud.aspx 

It's up to the developers to use MS's cloud.  I don't doubt that Infinity Ward is using a hybrid system, but it's their own system.  Activisions servers are maintained by Demonware which is located in Dublin. Polygon interviews DemonWare, the team behind Call of Duty servers - Charlie INTEL Blog: Call of Duty Ghosts – Black Ops…

It is disheartening to be a second behind the other team consistently, but that isn't anything that is going to change with this game.  Hopefully in the future we'll get better connections as we were lead to believe.

NadeGoBoom

Even on dedicated servers you can still be a second behind as the servers are running on the same exact netcode . So you will get the same experience regardless of p2p or dedicated servers except for problems that p2p creates. Obviously its up to IW or Dice , etc... to update the netcode so the lag compensation is balanced so you run into less issues and less wtf moments.

Even BF4 has wonky issues so you have to server hop till you find a server that isnt mistreating you or even consistently rubberbanding because of unknown reasons ( which for me was all last night on any server).

The connection with Ghosts is even more so worst on next gen because of matchmaking with a low population so you will definitely get games with people outside of your region in which the netcode is even further exposed to be flawed when you run into people that will obliterate you before they enter your field of vision. If IW will ever correct it I dont know but its truly a risk of playing a game with in the first few months of release to be exposed to this which can be a huge turn off from the game.

DrEggsta

I never asked for a lag free experience. I mentioned it bc I see no difference between my experience playing ghosts on the 360 or xbox one. I know p2p is problematic w/lag bc it picks & uses a host from the game lobby & however good or bad that hosts internet is decides how good the rest of everyone else's internet is, regardless how top tier your internet is. not to mention the benefit of being the host. if IW touted they were going to use the cloud on the xbox one instead of p2p & aren't, that's bad business & confirms why my experience between the 2 systems are identical. thing is, I never had the "out of memory 26/27" messages on the 360. not to mention that on the 360 it was easier to party up with your friends. on the one, you party up in a party first before you can join your friends game. big dislike.

mcdonamw

What people need to realize is... while there is a hybrid system of dedicated servers and p2p hosts, if/when you get on a dedicated server, there's zero guarantee that it will be one close to you.  They pick servers (hosts or dedicated) based on the quality of experience for ALL PEOPLE IN THE LOBBY.  You could get thrown on a dedicated server several states over just as easily as you can get thrown on a p2p host across the atlantic ocean.