48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 10:26 AM by Foxhound-Pro Branched to a new discussion. RSS

I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT

Keepmequite

I'm 43 and I Play computer games ffs get over it people in Ghosts. If it wasn't for people of my age paying consoles since the Atari and computer since the ZX spectrum, you wouldn't have games like you do today. Who do the youngsters think started the COD franchise off by buying this game on PC (a platform that is no longer shown the same love or respect as console). We old gamers (43 old lol) made gaming what it is today.....

 

And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me. 

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Jok3s

    Anyone can have fun with videogames, anyone. If u are good, ppl are just jealous, thats all

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    zrxd

    I'm 48 and I'm with ya all the way. Pong on the Atari was my first exposure to video gaming in 1976 and I'm still playing video games today. However I no longer play with my Action Man or ride my Raleigh Chopper bike. I've upgraded both to grown up versions, ie, I'm the action man due to my varied physical activities and I ride motorbikes on and off track as well as the road.

     

    48 going on 28 and living the life.

     

     

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    ukscorpz

    Same here mate.  Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, Amiga 500 etc etc.

     

    Played (and won) in the MOHAA and Vanilla Cod Leagues on the PC back in the day.

     

    PC modding community was amazing too, some of the maps were brilliant.  Think that's why it gets a bum deal now days as the devs cant fleece PC gamers for the new maps.

    • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
      Robwolves

      30's here and all my mates are too. Still play weekly and I'll soon be teaching my kid the ropes when he's old enough to pick up a controller. If he doesn't learn to play the objectives he won't ever get his own console for Christmas

       

      .......ZX Spectrum+ and Amiga 500...........those were the days. I might have to fetch the 500 down from the loft over Christmas (can't be fiddling with the Amiga emulator)!

      • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
        ukscorpz

        Apparently you can get an amiga emulater for your mobile now days - crazy huh?!

         

        I remember the days games were released and that was it, no patches, no fixes, nothing.

        No amount of moaning could get the game altered!

         

        To be fair though, games were tried and tested properly before release.....!

        • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
          Robwolves

          Mobile?....Geez. I might give that a go, although you can't beat playing with a good old Cheetah joystick!

           

          Exactly, people just got on with it and either played it or not no matter state it came in. Although I do remember Beneath the Steel Sky being very late on release, coming with 13 floppy disks and still have some bugs. That was some serious disk swapping needed when playing that game!

           

          Fifa??? Bring back Sensible Soccer

          • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
            ukscorpz

            I was lucky enough to have an additional 2 floppy drives for my 500+!

            Still meant a nightmare for multiple disked games though, especially if the devs hadn't written them to recognise multiple drives!!!

            The original Mortal Kombat on Amiga was terrible, had to swap disks after every single fight lol!

             

            Sensible Soccer was magic tho, along with one of my faves - Cannon Fodder!

            So amazed that hasn't had an arcade re-release?

             

            I'm 34 and pretty much the youngest out of my group of mates who play Cod and we give the youngsters a good beating on a regular basis.


          • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
            starbuckfrack

            I remember playing some games on a PC that I rented from Rent A Center that didnt even have a hard drive. You had to play directly from floppies.

             

            There are some freeware sites you can download those full games and run them in a DOS emulator.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    zingaa

    I'm old, yet some of the neighbor kids and my nephews ask me for setups for domination, go figure.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    indy56

    50s, lol. been playing on various consoles ever since they came out, usually hold my own against most, however saying that this game has tested my old patience to the limit,

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Helo-Pilot

    I too am an older gamer (41) and love surprising the young kids playing by kicking their butt.

     

    Old Men with Guns (OMG7) clan member

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Sliktrax

    32 soon to be 33 in march, and its funny because while i see most here are a few years older than i am. I whole heartedly agree, i get so mad when i see people crying nerf this nerf that. I honestly cant see what the problem is in terms of set ups, i do see a lag issue that needs to be balanced better. Which could possibly resolve many peoples problems in terms of hit detection etc, but everything else is brilliant even down to map size. While its not easy i have had my fair share of run and gun moments risky granted, due to the type of game play i believe this game is built around (but can be done).

    Infact any COD game i have played i have not found any issue in terms of the set up over all, the main problem is lag issue's hit detection etc (IMO).

    Of course in terms of cheats, Hacks / mods which we know have and can be done STILL, is the only other joke about gaming at times.

    But in all the experience is usually quite a fun and competative one, i do have my moments where im thinking NO WAY this dude is full of BS and while it could be to do with above statement. I cant help but think while some players are pretty skilled and amazing, that most have some sort of help (that is not above board).

     

    And thats when paying the money we do becomes a waste as gaming is no longer fun or fair, and thats really all the negative i have to say about the game or gamers even.

    And while i like to think im an extreme underground gamer im sure there are many more much better than i am

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    chris612

    Wrong side of 45 here. LOVE all the cods (except BO1, which was a bag of shite).

     

    Started gaming 1978/79 and never really stopped. COD4 was what i had been waiting for since for ever. Top game. Not sure all the tweeks & additions have really improved the games since but still enjoy playing them.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    ooOutraageousoo

    46, 47 in January...

     

    I'm with you all the way Bud...

     

    I play with no chat lead these days, heard all the kiddie BS before

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    DingoDC

    41 here and still kicking butt.  I don't ever plan on quitting but I must say it's not something I'm quick to bring up in a business conversation.  

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    rankismet

    Keepmequite wrote:

     

    I'm 43 and I Play computer games ffs get over it people in Ghosts. If it wasn't for people of my age paying consoles since the Atari and computer since the ZX spectrum, you wouldn't have games like you do today. Who do the youngsters think started the COD franchise off by buying this game on PC (a platform that is no longer shown the same love or respect as console). We old gamers (43 old lol) made gaming what it is today.....

     

    And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me.

     

    But sadly... your rant's no better than those pesky kids'.

     

    Please move this to off topic.

     

    GHOSTS OFF TOPIC

    • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
      deamonomic

      rankismet wrote:

       

      Keepmequite wrote:

       

      I'm 43 and I Play computer games ffs get over it people in Ghosts. If it wasn't for people of my age paying consoles since the Atari and computer since the ZX spectrum, you wouldn't have games like you do today. Who do the youngsters think started the COD franchise off by buying this game on PC (a platform that is no longer shown the same love or respect as console). We old gamers (43 old lol) made gaming what it is today.....

       

      And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me.

       

      But sadly... your rant's no better than those pesky kids'.

       

      Please move this to off topic.

       

      GHOSTS OFF TOPIC

      From what I have seen, the older gamers tend to complain more on these forums then kids do

    • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
      Keepmequite

      Really was there any reason to post an insult directed towards me in a thread that has had nothing but positive and truthful replies. You are basically one of those that feel insulting others and being disrespectful is perfectly ok because your behind a COMPUTER.  Very sad.... Reported.

      • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
        starbuckfrack

        You mean disrespectful like the ones here who like to ignore the forum rules ? He didnt insult you he just gave you a suggestion to move this off topic.

         

        I mean if you want we all could just report you and not say anything to help you if you want.

        • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
          zingaa

          starbuckfrack wrote:

           

          You mean disrespectful like the ones here who like to ignore the forum rules ? He didnt insult you he just gave you a suggestion to move this off topic.

           

          I mean if you want we all could just report you and not say anything to help you if you want.

          haha, why do you try so hard to be some sort of forum bully? First off the guy wasn't even talking to you and now to me it seems you're threatening him that " we all" are going to report him. If wants to respond I'm sure he's a big boy and can respond if he wants to, I'm certain he doesn't need you coming in with your rules speech. I think I speak for most of the forum when we've all heard the speech so quit trying to be a try hard, let a moderator handle it..

           

          To me, your response comes across in a threatening manner to keepmequite and I'm sure one of those rules you speak of you can't "threaten or harass " a member, but I'm sure you know the exact forum rule number

          • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
            Foxhound-Pro

            zingaa wrote:

             

            starbuckfrack wrote:

             

            You mean disrespectful like the ones here who like to ignore the forum rules ? He didnt insult you he just gave you a suggestion to move this off topic.

             

            I mean if you want we all could just report you and not say anything to help you if you want.

            haha, why do you try so hard to be some sort of forum bully? First off the guy wasn't even talking to you and now to me it seems you're threatening him that " we all" are going to report him. If wants to respond I'm sure he's a big boy and can respond if he wants to, I'm certain he doesn't need you coming in with your rules speech. I think I speak for most of the forum when we've all heard the speech so quit trying to be a try hard, let a moderator handle it..

             

            To me, your response comes across in a threatening manner to keepmequite and I'm sure one of those rules you speak of you can't "threaten or harass " a member, but I'm sure you know the exact forum rule number

            Starbucks's quoted reply isn't really a threat. He's backing up the notion that the community has suggested moving this rant to a more appropriate place in lieu of it being reported and a moderator coming in. Some posts were reported correctly and others not. Now I'm here.

      • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
        rankismet

        Keepmequite wrote:

         

        Really was there any reason to post an insult directed towards me in a thread that has had nothing but positive and truthful replies. You are basically one of those that feel insulting others and being disrespectful is perfectly ok because your behind a COMPUTER.  Very sad.... Reported.

         

        Report away. I commented on your rant... not you.  This post has a place... it's called off topic. Nothing about it has anything to do with Ghosts on X360.

         

        Respect is a two way street, neighbor. Think on it.

         

        Because your point with this thread was to get int the face of "youngsters".

         

        The more you know.

      • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
        rankismet

        Keepmequite wrote:

         

        Really was there any reason to post an insult directed towards me in a thread that has had nothing but positive and truthful replies. You are basically one of those that feel insulting others and being disrespectful is perfectly ok because your behind a COMPUTER.  Very sad.... Reported.

         

        Oh... one last point...

         

        I think the "those pesky kids" slipped by you... I would have thought an older gamer might have seen Scooby-doo once or twice.

         

        Subtle humor is lost it seems.

    • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
      Foxhound-Pro

      rankismet wrote:

       

      Keepmequite wrote:

       

      I'm 43 and I Play computer games ffs get over it people in Ghosts. If it wasn't for people of my age paying consoles since the Atari and computer since the ZX spectrum, you wouldn't have games like you do today. Who do the youngsters think started the COD franchise off by buying this game on PC (a platform that is no longer shown the same love or respect as console). We old gamers (43 old lol) made gaming what it is today.....

       

      And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me.

       

      But sadly... your rant's no better than those pesky kids'.

       

      Please move this to off topic.

       

      GHOSTS OFF TOPIC

      This isn't an insult.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    r33k

    38 here. still love playin COD.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    iHattoriHanzo0

    Hear, hear.

     

    I'm 37 but refuse to grow up! CoD keeps me young and partially immature.

     

    Love how the old farts came out the woodwork for this one!

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    IndyOldGuy

    My name says it all  lol

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    djacks400

    I'm 43 as well. Started like many others here with the Atari 2600. Used to drop all kinds of quarters at the arcade playing the "more advanced" games of the era. Took a long hiatus until about 2004. Around that time some younger friends of mine (now in their 30s) convinced me to buy an original Xbox to play multiplayer Rainbow 6. Ever since then I've been getting my first person shooter fix. I don't plan to put down the controller anytime soon. Great, cheap entertainment. Gamertag is djacks400. I usually play randoms Core Domination. But would be happy to play with some of you some time.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    johhnybritain

    44 on Friday, been playing and writing video games since I built a zx80 over 30 years ago. The "wasted youth" messing with computers and gaming turned into a career as a software and systems architect. Kids bought me BO2 for birthday last year, but refused to get me ghosts this year because they think I'm now obsessed with COD, so I got for myself as an early b'day present!

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    nicedrewishfela

    And get the hell off my lawn!

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

    Ignore some of the forum regs here.  I think some of them think if say anything positive, or don't say anything negative, they'll be banned or something.

     

    43 and still kicking ass.  I sometimes wonder what I'll look like when I'm 73 holding a controller and cursing at the TV.  Grandkids, god willing, will either love or hate going to senile grandpa's house.

     

    Asteroids in the 80's.  Flip that score, baby.

     

    I think, unlike our generation, our parents didn't know about vid games and thus weren't all that sophisticated about it.  Kids buying games today have us as parents.  Game devs need to know that this is a new situation.  If I don't buy Ghosts, my kids won't be playing it either. 

    • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
      Keepmequite

      "Ignore some of the forum regs here.  I think some of them think if say anything positive, or don't say anything negative, they'll be banned or something."


      Yep it gets rather boring really quick. They sit there behind there computer feeling all high and mighty complaining and insulting threads and replies by doing the same thing there complaining about. How short sighted of those.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    starbuckfrack

    Keepmequite wrote:

     

     

     

    And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me.

    Its amazing how people complain over a video game.

     

    Except for this thread which I agree with there are SOME people who complain about this game meanwhile telling other people to get over it.

     

    I started with the Atari 2600 and started programming since the TRS-80.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    chris612

    Any u oldies play H.C only? If you do & are ever at a loose end drop me an inv (tman612).

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Slopat

    I don't really understand the point of this thread. I am older than the OP and have never needed other/younger players to get over it. How would they know my age anyhow?

     

    All I see here is a lot of anger and some self-congratulating from the OP.

     

    edit: The average gamer age is 35 according to most studies, so being 43 is no big deal.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Da_Young_Worm

    You said it right on the nail. The kids do not like older players like us who can play the game great. I am half the age of some of these guys, but I am nearly at the legal drinking age of 21. I have developed. I can play smarter, and I can play harder. Kids hate the fact that it is easier for us to play than it is for them. They just want it a kids game, well.. not going to happen. Most of the cod community does buy the game every year. A lot of players who played since cod 4, and Mw2 left cod, but most still love call of duty despite what bull crud happens to allow for kids to have a chance at playing this game. Activision has realized their player base is a ton of children so they treat the game as if only children will play it. It sucks for the adults, yet the children still complain about older people playing the game. I think activision should respect the older fan base more and give us what they have given us in the past: A well functioning game, with less bull crud. The kids can deal with it and practice more.

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    xxxharveystjockxxx

    Wow, i still remember my adam computer with buck rogers on it...does that make me old?

  • Re: I'm an older gamer, GET OVER IT
    Foxhound-Pro

    Keepmequite wrote:

     

    I'm 43 and I Play computer games ffs get over it people in Ghosts. If it wasn't for people of my age paying consoles since the Atari and computer since the ZX spectrum, you wouldn't have games like you do today. Who do the youngsters think started the COD franchise off by buying this game on PC (a platform that is no longer shown the same love or respect as console). We old gamers (43 old lol) made gaming what it is today.....

     

    And it's amazing how many of them leave the game because they can't beat me.

     

    I agree that in-game harassment is lame. Report these people in-game and through Xbox Live if they're harassing you and then mute them. That said I'm locking this thread. It's a rant aimed at people that more than likely do not even post here. What's worse is that your diction includes all of us when we're not the ones doing anything.

     

    If you want to create an "older gamers" post in the Off Topic section however then be my guest. That part was probably the only thing constructive here.