31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 6:14 PM by starbuckfrack RSS

Is the lag fixable?

Aqancake

Yo,

Right now I'm experiencing some lag ingame. It's quite annoying me and I'd like to fix it.

The first week of Ghosts I thought my connection was really good, but it's going hill downwards right now. I frequently see people just appearing on my screen. Around 1 or 2 second freeze I guess.

Though I remember that I used to teleport 2 seconds back atleast once every game in black ops 2. But I still find the lag strange since everything was just fine the first week of Ghosts.

Any suggestions to fix this? Am I lagging due to my own internet connection or is the game itself laggy?

• Re: Is the lag fixable?
    gotsomestars

I'd guess its your connection if it's happening in both games, however if you share some of your specs some of the more tech savvy guys like macc, or gham , or a few others may be able to help.

If I start to think I'm "lagging" , the first thing I do is reset my router. Have you tried that?

gambit1969

Just played for an hour and every single game was a laggy mess so i know how you feel.

Ports are fowarded, network optimized and still lagging.

jwaller123

It is fixable, but there is a WHOLE lot of stuff to look into. Like another poster said, put down your specs and see who can help you out. I get a game here and there that's bad enough to make me leave the lobby, but overall I am ok connection wise. Once the game hits the masses around christmas, there will be a bunch more people who are playing, which hopefully means better connections.

Bielsalmighty

Also, check to see if your ISP operates a 'traffic management' policy. This can often be pretty heavily buried so you may have to do some digging....

starbuckfrack

If youre in the UK you could just be getting screwed , especially if they only roll out one dedicated server in your area.

Like if there were a few people 300 miles away that can get the dedicated server and you are 500 miles away from it then its possible you got stuck with P2P gaming. Of course thats all assumption based on for one thing no public knowledge yet of server locations.

Then you have to consider how many people in your lobbies now have an Xbox ONE who will no longer show up in your games.

Aqancake

Thanks for replying everyone, but yeh I'm not really into stuff like this.

I'm from the Netherlands. Got a cable from my router (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR940N) plugged into my xbox. Like I said my field of knowledge remains poor about this kinds of stuff. I've forwarded ports and every now and then I restore my internet settings to default. I guess I'll never have an optimal connection, but I've experienced that the connection used to be good during the first week.

LSRich

Having purchased COD: Ghosts on release day I have experienced Lag every single day I have played. I have two Xbox 360's, one at home and one at my office, both lag constantly while playing Ghosts. The lag is so bad that it makes the game unplayable. Out of pure curiosity I played BO1 & BO2 multi-player today and NO LAG. I play Ghosts today and I feel like I'm playing in quicksand, it is just slower to me and I am obviously milliseconds behind everyone else in the room. As much as I appreciate all the help that some in the community are offering to others I suspect that there is more going on here than just needing to optimize routers and/or internet settings. I don't have to change my settings to play BO1 or BO2 and be competitive so why would we need to change our settings for Ghosts? That just does not add up. And no I and others do not need to change our tactics or learn the maps or change our setups...we are referring to LAG plain and simple.

As I have commented before: If you live on the good side of LAG than you are enjoying Ghosts, but if you are on the bad side of LAG this game is just unplayable. If you are not on the bad side of LAG than you really just do not understand how much this is affecting game play. It appears the matchmaking, which as I understand, was suppose to generate matching more by geographic locations in order to better pair PING between players, just is not working. Hopefully IW will address the match making and/or dedicated servers thus creating a more even field for those of us on the bad side of LAG. Right now those of us with good internet connections are being "LAG COMPED" to allow those with lesser internet connections a "fair" ability to compete. Personally I feel that is garbage. Yes I know they have been doing this for years, but that does not make it fair, plus it is not working. Time to find a new means of matchmaking.

I truly wanted this to be a good, fun competitive game. I think there is massive potential for Ghosts but it is just unplayable for me and others due to lag. As of now myself and lots of other players will go back to what plays smoothly. If anyone is up for some BO1 or BO2 multi or zombies add me: N00dleMonk

See you guys on the field of battle!!

starbuckfrack

Right now those of us with good internet connections are being "LAG COMPED" to allow those with lesser internet connections a "fair" ability to compete.

------------------------

And so how do you know you arent the one with the lesser internet connection ? How do you know if your connection is the best or the worst in the lobby ?

If you are one of those many "flat earthers" that assume your speed is being punished do you have any proof of are you just making assumptions.

Cant understand why you people cant seem to understand that your internet "speed" means nothing on a console game when speed isnt even in the equation. This game like others most likely uses .04up and .04 down so how does your speed come into it ?

djtn

starbuckfrack wrote:

Cant understand why you people cant seem to understand that your internet "speed" means nothing on a console game when speed isnt even in the equation. This game like others most likely uses .04up and .04 down so how does your speed come into it ?

WTH? Speed has everything to do with this game. Bandwidth (size) has nothing to do with it. Maybe the OP doesn't know the technical terms but he is right in the sense that in a match, if your internet speed is faster than the enemies, you get handicapped with your visuals delayed.

What I can't understand is your need to belittle people in most of your post. If you're trolling you'd might want to limit the insults to a few instead of the entire community with your use of "you people".

Negativity only breads more negativity. I hope that wasn't your intentions...

starbuckfrack

I was trying to stifle the rumors. This game does not punish faster speeds.

As many people have said you dont have "speed". You have bandwidth. Your transmissions get sent at the same speed. your bandwidth packets are different sizes.

So are you telling me that people like Maccabi are wrong ? Using his name as an example. Give me an example where speed helps you in a game with only .04 up ?

so lets just assume it was true. How can the person posting that tell that his speed is faster than all the other players in his lobby ? How does he know that he isnt the one with the slowest speed ?

The term "you people " refers to anyone who thinks the game punishes you for your speed. Not the entire forum populace. Nor was it an insult.

starbuckfrack

Re: Why so much hate for CoD: Ghosts?

Re: Are they going to be stupid?

a speedtest is a completely pointless exercise for console gaming, as it measures bandwidth NOT speed, as the name says,. 30down 5 up is not how fast you down/up its how much in one go, bandwidth doesnt affect gaming as much as alot of people on here think you need a fraction of your actual down or up bandwidth to play fine online, the only time it comes into the equation is if you are hosting then its upload thats important but anything over .7 and you're fine.

djtn

Ping: the time it takes for a network packet to leave your computer, go to another one, and return.

Yes, having a 999 GB down and 999 GB up connection means nothing for gaming (except host selection) but this game uses PING for determining lag compensation calculations. While the data packets travel in the wires at the same speed, distance, hops and the route the packets take affect the TIME for the packets to travel back in forth, meaning:

Players closer to the host usually have smaller ping times while the further out players the ping time derogates. Lag compensation (in COD anyway) handles the lobby of player’s ping disparity by matching game time for the larger pinged players. The larger the disparity the more suffering game play the smaller ping player will experience.

It’s not rocket science, after a match where you die of constant instant deaths and get shot around corners and put entire clips into enemies to have them turn around and shoot you with one pistol bullet then you die- you can pull up your recent players list and see player locations from distant locations like Japan, Canada or if you’re on the east coast in the USA players will be on the west coast or Mexico.

You expect everyone to live on these forums like you and know everything, or more so, have a networking degree so they can use the “correct” terminology for your liking else it’s a snarky comment you can’t wait to respond with.

He may not have used the proper terminology but he knows he’s being unfairly handicapped by the game at the expense of other players and the matchmaking system. Your lame attempt as a know-it-all and throwing forum members names around is weak and along with all your other post in the same vein, project a fanboy mentality that serves no purpose for the gaming community.

starbuckfrack

So you brought up ping. Thats wasnt what we were talking about. He was talking about SPEED. Having fast internet doesnt mean you have a great ping.

You can have a 1000 mile connection to the player and still have the same ping as players 300 miles away.

Now did you actually have a look at the code for the game or did you base your information on assumption ? Where does it say that the game COD compensates people with larger ping ? Do you have any factual information to base your reference ?

Its pretty well referenced and has been linked many times in this forum that the reason you get shot around corners is NORMAL for games based on UDP. Not because a person has a better ping than someone else but because again that is normal in online gaming.

Getting shot around corners is a result of LAG (latency to players) not of lag compensation.

Lag Compensation is NOT the problem

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compe nsation

You got any links from developers to back yourself up or just your assumptions ?

djtn

I am a developer and I don't feel the need to prove anything to you.

Sorry to kill your feed, troll on...

SolidWater

Best comment I've seen this month, XD

starbuckfrack

"youre a developer" ? Care to prove yourself with factual information then ?

I am sure the posts from people like Maccabi would disagree with your statements.

How come those facts I just quoted from a REAL developer show something different ? They sure do show a total difference then your claims. Care to elaborate ?

I showed you a REAL post from a REAL developer yet you think just because you can claim your a developer trumps the posts I showed ?

QUOTE "Network latencies and lag compensation can create paradoxes that seem illogical compared to the real world. For example, you can be hit by an attacker you can't even see anymore because you already took cover. What happened is that the server moved your player hitboxes back in time, where you were still exposed to your attacker. This inconsistency problem can't be solved in general because of the relatively slow packet speeds. "

So this developer that actually made a game is wrong but you claim your a developer so you are right ... Hmmm.

funny how a "developer" keeps on ignoring answering the question how all these people know for a fact they got the best internet out there and suffer because of it in every game.

LSRich

So you have just described what I was talking about earlier. LAG. You can call LAG by whatever "technical definition" you want, but the bottom line is that LAG is obviously affecting a VAST majority of the players who are complaining about LAG. I just went and played COD4, BO1 & BO2 today again to compare to Ghosts. It is not even close, COD4 plays better than all of them but BO1 is a close second.

Instead of being stuck on a "technical definition" maybe you should LISTEN to what others are complaining about. HUGE amounts of players are complaining about LAG or whatever you want to technically call it. Telling me to optimize my router or my console for Ghosts makes no sense to me because every other game I play does not need to calibrated. If I set my settings to a Treyarch  game than are you suggesting I need to change those same settings to play IW games? The only two games I have every had this issue with are MW3 and now Ghosts, which are the same two games a lot of other players are saying they had the same issues.

Personally I believe the issues are due to the Lag Comp that is obviously being utilized to even players. I also believe that the match making, which as I understood it, was suppose to be more geographically oriented to put geographically closer players into matches in order to limit PING distances. Fix one or both of these problems and I bet better gaming for the majority of players.

I am sure I will be barraged, but once again, if you live on the happy side of lag you are enjoying Ghosts, if you live on the bad side of Ghosts...well go read the threads. My two cents. 

starbuckfrack

Yeah but you got different types of lag. My point will be using those two phrases for clarity.

LAG (latency to the player) you cant fix that, so there is no point even bringing it up. There are many other types of lag, input lag, TV lag, lag from console problems. Some of those you cant solve.

The what is called "lag compensation " which attempts to smooth out the lag.

I can also play any other game and not be affected by lag. In most of the games I play. Same as in this game. Lag only makes it unplayable in a rare 5 percent maybe of games I play.

There is no possible way that in so many games with random hosts every game can I be on the "good side" of lag. Its impossible, especially when I am well above the average connection in the United States. That is if the average was around 8 Megs like it was 6 months ago.  I mean in bandwidth not in ping. In ping I am probably average. So how can I have such a great connection compared to others AND be on the good side of lag ? How can many others have a faster connection than I can and still be on the good side of lag if people are saying those with faster connections suffer ?

I do listen to what players say about lag. What I dont like listening to is their assumptions that for example "I got a great connection so I suffer". There is no possible way that the player can know that he has the best connection in every single one of his games. If the truth comes out and you find out there real speed and their real connection quality ( to a 360 HOST xbox) you will find out they arent as good of a connection as they thought .

You see what I am saying ?

I am going to use his name again just for reference sake since he has been the most helpful on this forum with a majority of forum members in the past five years I have been here. . So you are saying that with Maccabis extensive knowledge you are saying all those times he posted that faster connection are not punished for their connections. So you are saying he is wrong? And Again I only use his name as a reference.

SolidWater

XD, wow that's well said, i like it

SolidWater

While internet speed does influence upload and download rate of speed which determines how fast you can upload or download information, it does not affect whether you can hold a connection with another user or avoid connection interruption because those are affected by other variables outside Upload/Download speed. The fact latency is such a big issue in any multiplayer not solely using dedicated servers is because of the means of connectivity are weaker, It's a lack of equipment performance provided by the multiplayer providers that influence the gaming connection, besides playing with players from different Time Zones and being able to hold that connection. The latency can be reduced but it will always be a potential threat. Although the router might be configured  properly to facilitate connection between players and servers that doesn't mean all the players have done the same.

LSRich

There was a player who responded to forum that his playing experience improved greatly as soon as he connected to his iphones 3G hotspot. His broadband internet connection was unplayable so he finally connected to his iphone and he started "owning" rooms. I will look for his reply and try to link it. If his reply is accurate that that shows a "lesser" connection gives you a huge advantage, because obviously everyone else is getting 'LAGGED" to his level. I am not saying this right or fair just that it is being done.

Yes there are many of us having massive issues with LAG. Just look throughout the forums and you will read more complaints about lag than anything else. I can log onto BO1 & BO2 and have no issues with lag at all but the moment I jump onto Ghosts I lag...it is like playing in mud. If you are looking for scientific evidence than no I do not have the evidence you obviously need for a situation that is not affecting you. You are very lucky and I am glad you can enjoy Ghosts, but your condescending attitude does nothing to help those of us stuck with an unplayable game. If you are actually able to drop your "know it all attitude" about LAG COMP and listen to those who are hoping their game experience improves with either better match making or dedicated servers because we are on the bad side of LAG COMP than your ideas would be actually be welcomes, helpful and useful.

My 3G connection is lag free

Check out the above thread.

starbuckfrack

You dont have to look it up. I know about how the phone connections stories are.

But you have to consider a few things. A phone connection is totally different then an internet connection. Its like apples and oranges.

It doesnt mean his lesser connection gave him any advantage. It means that he basically manipulated his connection to give him an advantage. Phones work on different protocols then console gaming.  Its only assumed that the slower connection gave him an advantage.

The fact that YOU dont have an issue playing older games means nothing. AGAIN just like other people state this, the forums were still full of players complaining about lag in those games too.

Nowhere did I say I enjoy ghosts did I ?

LSRich

Obviously you see this one way and others, like myself see it another way. The reasons behind LAG are not important. LAG rendering a game unplayable is important and does affect players and the COD community as a whole. The bottom line is I hope IW can fix some of the LAG issues that many of us are experiencing.

Adeeez100

The fact that YOU dont have an issue playing older games means nothing. AGAIN just like other people state this, the forums were still full of players complaining about lag in those games too.

Oh but of course it does, it means those older games have had "just to a number on it", like 6 months, probably longer in some cases to get to the stage where the game becomes playable for some people to the point where they can enjoy it.

I think one of the gripes of a lot of people is the notion that we get a beta for the early stages of a games life nowadays, which in a way is quite true. Aside from all the nerf this buff that requests, the games nowadays release with plenty of issues that need addressing. I am fully aware of time constraints and pressure the devs are put under, but as a paying customer it just don't *FLY*.

Not going to bother with all the car analogies and stuff, all been heard before.

SolidWater

"His broadband internet connection was unplayable so he finally connected to his iphone and he started "owning" rooms. I will look for his reply and try to link it. If his reply is accurate that that shows a "lesser" connection gives you a huge advantage, because obviously everyone else is getting 'LAGGED" to his level"

I find that to be very funny. I'm pretty sure It's not because other player connections would have to compensate with his because his bandwidth is weaker, that not the issue, it's probably because his IPhone's hotspot is better configured than his former source of internet.

Bielsalmighty

Nope. Its connection throttling causing him to skip and lag everywhere thus making him a bastard hard target to nail due to animation smoothing de-synching his on screen character model from his lagging skipping hitbox.

SolidWater

Well to be more specific, there are computer programs that monitor network connections, allot of enthusiastic gamers use this to monitor the network connection between players. A PC can be used to monitor which IP addresses are connected to the console IP under a network, which would be the lobby, and the host can be determined besides the connection strength being received by the IP adresses via "PING', if anyone does this when latency is experienced they can record the gaming, show live footage of the IP Adress roster and it's report and official claim they are experiencing latency. Which can be used in MLG disputes.

zrxd

WTF is it then? I'm lagging like a slack pussied whore and it is very rare for me to win a 1 on 1 gun battle. I am behind the play every single time and I mean every single time. I'm in some sort of time delay.  I even have the enemy appearing out of nowhere in the most incredible WTF moments. I don't seem to be able to move around the maps with impunity like many other players do and most of my very few kills in Ghosts are when the enemy is not looking or from distance. I'm finishing games with zero kills.

As I've said in many posts I'm an average player at best but if I take the Ghosts disk out now and start playing Blops1, COD4 or even MW3 forfugsake I'll be getting 15/20 kills a game straight away. All I want is a level playing field and I don't understand what is going on with Ghosts.

SolidWater

There are many ways to reduce lag with multiplayer in general. Lag isn't avoidable but can be effectively reduced by using portfowarding, placing your console in a DMZ, taking better care of your Xbox and clearing any information on it that can hinder your connection and console performance. I typed a topic on it and follow every tip, I'm not even close to most of the players I play with or any servers for that case but after I used portfowarding and DMZ'd my console via router there was a big reduction in lag and disconnection errors. Try reading it for yourself.

Reducing Latency (Lag) on Call of Duty: Ghost and Multiplayer In General While Using a Router

Allot of people want to get rid of problems but don't want to make an effort to get rid of the problem, there are solutions but In the end the only ones who could make the best solutions are the server providers.

ghamorra

I haven't had any issues so far. Since MW3 I've always had major lag issues but not this title.