1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 4:09 PM by nicedrewishfela Go to original post RSS
  • 20. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    starbuckfrack

Well lets see....

There is the developers that posted that information .

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100581784#.UolMJOJ2-VE

Look it says 5 weeks.

There is also details all over the internet.

Google

Wait, it Costs $40,000 to PATCH a Console Game?

What more proof do you need ?

• 21. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    starbuckfrack

Hey redneck. About 4 months ago MS changed it to a one charge fee. Just FYI.

• 22. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    Bubbakush

so you have no proof on the 5 weeks comment aside from your own words and the other has a recent story from jan 27th of this year saying that its been reported which let me tell you just cuz its reported doesn't make it fact that there was a 40k fee and that its now a one time fee and there will be other fees if Microsoft deems that the company is making a excessive amount of patches and to that the 40k fee was to force company's to make a more polished game on launch according to the report so as i said wheres the proof

• 23. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    starbuckfrack

Bubbakush wrote:

so you have no proof on the 5 weeks comment aside from your own words and the other has a recent story from jan 27th of this year saying that its been reported which let me tell you just cuz its reported doesn't make it fact that there was a 40k fee and that its now a one time fee and there will be other fees if Microsoft deems that the company is making a excessive amount of patches and to that the 40k fee was to force company's to make a more polished game on launch according to the report so as i said wheres the proof

I love people that cant read I assume you know how to click on a thread right ?

COD: Black Ops - Patching Process

QUOTES from that page.

Phase 1: Gather feedback, reproduce reports and implement solutions. Estimated time: Generally 2 weeks

Phase 2: Test internally. Estimated time: Minimum of 1 week

Phase 3: Console manufacturers test and approve the update for release.Estimated time: Minimum of 1 week to get an approval

Phase 4: Release Estimated time: Generally 2-3 days.

Lets see. 2 weeks plus 1  week minimum plus 1 week minimum plus a few days makes about 5 weeks. Nope no proof there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the google post if you would have clicked on that link you would have seen MANY posted reports about how in 2012 how they charge developers 40 K per patch, not just one report.

and if you would have learned to read a little bit more you would have seen that I mentioned a rumor that they CANCELLED it in my original post.

A little more investigation would have revealed something about a developer named Tim Schafer. If you dont know who he is then cant help you.

"

Double Fine's Tim Schafer is the man responsible for dropping that info bomb. 

"Those systems [Xbox Live and PSN] as great as they are, they're still closed," Schafer said. "You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can't do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can't afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that's where it's at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That's where people are going."

---------------------------

Or this

"The uglier side of working within walled gardens was made apparent late last week when indie developer Polytron announced it would not be releasing a new patch for its Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) hit Fez. (More specifically, a patch to fix the original patch, which corrupted a certain percentage of players' saves.) The issue at hand wasn't a lack of desire to throw man hours at a finished game, but rather that Microsoft's XBLA policy only allows for one free patch, with subsequent patches requiring the game to go through a recertification process at a cost of $40,000.

---------------------------------------

Yep your right no proof there . What do you want me to do for you ? You want me to raid the Activision Headquarters and steal their financial statements ?

• 24. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    Bubbakush

cuz this is black ops right? let me teach you something a estimated time doesnt make it fact. as for all the other bs you copied and pasted im not going to bother i read the google reports i can read i dont think you can cuz like i stated the 40k was to make company's make a more polished game at launch and not juts patch what the messed up on which from everything you pasted for no reason go with what i said a company cant afford to patch a patch that broke there game i did read you mention the rumor but you hammer on the 40k patch cost as if it is fact which you just admitted a report doesn't make it fact so keep being a fanboy bud

• 25. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    Kandagawa

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

That's all I'm getting from you.

• 26. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    Bubbakush

and if thats all your getting why even waste the time to replay why not just move on and ignore it seeing as i obviously dont fallow your thought process or seem to live in your reality according to you

• 27. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    foo1sgo1d

Wheels1AWTT wrote:

I do not work for Activision however I do have extensive IT experience and the principles are the same as game development. So here is an idea of what it takes to patch an error:

1. Error is reported on a significant enough level to justify a fix.

2. Incorrect code must be found/identified.

3. Code must be studied and possible fixes discussed(considering costs, labor, feasbility)

4. Decision must be made on best way to implement and benchmarks to determine if it worked.

5. New code must be written.

6. New code gets patched/tested locally.

7. Nothing does what you wanted it to so repeat steps 5 and 6 until it gets close enough.

8. Patch gets tested by more people on a larger scale.

9. Review is conducted to determine if patch is ready for distribution.

10. Decide if it should be launched alone or wait until you can bundle a few, method is scheduled and implemented.

11. Patch pushes, wait to see what actually works(fingers crossed).

12. Work on the other 50 patches you have in the works.

The game mode stuff and others they know about they have probably not stopped working on and are just feeding them out as they finish them. Implementing new patches on a game, console, or computer is a laborious process so don't be too hard on developers. Then you have the hackers that go and f everything up and create security issues, which also have to be patched.

Nice list of checks there. I would assume that their quality control also extends to doing similar before release? And if so, it seems someone wasn't quite doing their job properly. Like I said, nice list. PS I also write firmware for my company, we test ours thoroughly before release to clients, costs money and time, but we don't get any complaints.

• 28. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    DalekonDrugs

Great post but there is nothing which states Developers spend 3 hours a day getting their bottom licked by Ali-A (sorry but that youtuber is just vile and awful in so many ways) only messing great post very informative.

• 29. Re: FYI Let me explain the patching process.(AKA give devs a break)
    dustycrow

i blame cod for me not having any patience >.< i used to be so patient when i played adventure games with long storys 50 hours of just scrolling through word messages ext. now its oh common 10 seconds to wait to play? damnit a 5 second respawn? ughhhhhhh

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next