15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 9:06 PM by Southpawgamer RSS

Framerate Optimized to be worse?

Goodtwin

Not sure what optimizations you guys think you found, but the game runs worse.  I suppose its possible that it runs at 60fps more often, but the problem is that it drops just as low as ever, and now has a stutter effect that actually affects gameplay.  Like when you got to run or go ads, there seems to be a slight hitch to the game, a slight pause.  The game runs worse flat out.  My suggestion to the developers is this, cap the framerate at 35-45fps.  You obviously cant get COD to run on Wii U like it does on the 360, so lets just cut our losses and save this game.  The framerate may be a little higher now, but the stuttering effect is killing it for me.  I had such high hopes for this patch when A_Trey_U announced performance optimizations.  The game runs worse, sorry, but if I could choose to turn them off I would.  If I would choose to cap my framerate at 40 to avoid having it move all over the place I would.  I know 60fps is the trademark of COD, but the reality is that this game is not 60fps as it stands, and would actually benefit from being locked at a lower framerate.  Please consider doing that A_Trey_U, or add it into the options for players who would prefer a more stable framerate over the on and off again smoothness of 60fps.    

• Re: Framerate Optimized to be worse?
    Goodtwin

Am I the only one who finds this to be true?  If so, what has been your experience since the patch.  So much attention has went to the removal of aim assist for Wii Remote controls, but the framerate and stuttering have been a far bigger issue for me.  I cant believe more people arent seeing worse performance now than prior to the patch. 

iTc_iNeMeZz

Attention: This update doesn't have adjusted the frame rate, here it says everything they have adjusted: http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200790076

M4GNUM

I've noticed a lot more stutter - but I'm not sure if it is game optimization patch or lag - or both. Lag has increased significantly lately. Yesterday on Stonehaven, I teleported to 4 different locations in about 15 seconds it was so bad. Then it kicked me all the way off to the main menu. Same thing on other maps - it was like I would run 5 feet then there was a stutter and I'd be back 3 feet from where I was so took forever to run anywhere.

Goodtwin

I wondered that as well, but it seemed consistently poor last night, so I assumed it was all framerate.  If I play tonight and its much better than it was probably network lag, and I would love that to be the case because I really do like this game, but i cant stand it when a gamer is constantly stuttering and hindering smooth gameplay.

Ronin2012

M4GNUM wrote:

Yesterday on Stonehaven, I teleported to 4 different locations in about 15 seconds

You sure you werent playing Minecraft??

Southpawgamer

It's typical lag issue. Moving then all of a sudden you get teleported back couple  of feet where you came from or running & it's like someone pulling you at the back. Calling for an air strike or throwing smoke grenades like in the game I often played on PC (MOH 2010) & nothing happened  it's like shooting blanks. This are hallmark signs of lag issue.

LastShadowCOD

My favorite is being teleported to the correct spot as you're being killed. You're so far behind actual play that the system speeds you up to die in the right spot.

Try this out - get a gun with high mobility (SMG) turn on the Agility and Marathon perks and run around a map. It's doubtful that you'll hit anyone, but when you die it's a HOOT!

Pwnsweet

I somewhat agree. The framerate is better, but it's not that much better than it was before. They need to take a long hard look into this and do something (drastic if necessary) to get the framerate closer to a consistent 60fps.

Goodtwin

I just watched some video's of Ghost PS3 multiplayer, and the freaking PS3 runs maps at 60fps where the Wii U version is struggling to stay in the 40's.  This cant be the same team that did the Wii ports back in the day.  This is pathetic coding.  If A_Trey_U wants to defend this he can feel free, but the reality is they had a year to get this game "ported", they arent creating assets, and if a team of about 38 guys cant get a 360 game to run on Wii U with equal performance, then I really have to question if their is any effort at all.  I mean seriously, we have a better faster GPU with 32MB of edram, twice the main memory as current gen, and a super efficient CPU.  I was a huge supporter of Treyarch's Wii team over the years, and even gave them a pass on Black Ops 2 because it was a launch port, but the current level of performance with Ghost is unacceptable. 

Pwnsweet

I'm disappointed with the current performance too. In fact, I felt just like you do now when I first got the game and came to the forums and made a rant thread just like this one. But throwing insults around doesn't really accomplish anything at the end of the day.

It's likely that the Wii U's CPU is to blame for the framerate issues. Whilst it's debatable just how 'super efficient' the Wii U's CPU is, there's strong evidence to suggest that the CPU is three single threaded Broadway cores slapped together. If this is true, it would cause problems given that both the X360 and PS3 can execute six threads simultaneously. 

Pwnsweet

Also, you cannot determine that the PS3 version runs at 60fps from watching Youtube videos. It's physically impossible.