6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 7:55 AM by cybernet00 RSS

Had a host migration last night

cybernet00

So last night while playing a team that was obviously better than me, I was dying almost instantly after spawn so I left the game when I left it came up saying Migrating Host.

I'm confused I thought it was dedicated servers am I missing something?

• Re: Had a host migration last night
    MaxChaos

Yep, you are. Its a Hybrid system.

Read this: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

starbuckfrack

No the game is running on BOTH dedicated servers and the usual "listen servers".

They SAY the old listen server method is for people with further away locations but I dont believe that for a second.

Now it COULD be a temporary setup to get things rolling in case the servers down for example.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

They deserve a little leeway for dedi's.  Glad they're using it but lets hope it works well over time. 

cybernet00

Well I found this from:

Mark Rubin @IWMarkRubin

Executive Producer @infinityward

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.”

I'm disappointed that it isn't our choice to see if using the dedicated server is better than the listen servers. I'm often host and I hate it I never have good game play when I am. When I'm not I have pretty good game play. Sucks to think I need to dumb down my connect so that I will not get host. I live in Florida so I'm guess the dedicated servers are in California. So my next question would be, if we party up with someone close to Cali and they are party leader will it put us in the dedicated servers? Will me being party leader with someone close to Cali give us the listen servers? What is the coverage map for dedicated servers I mean for the US do they just draw a line straight down and this half gets this and this half gets that?

JetEye

I ran into both dedicated servers and listen servers.  When playing on dedicated servers, the connection was consistent and the game ran great.  When playing on listen servers, there was rubber banding, insta-deaths, games ended due to host dashboarding, encountered host migrations.  They just need to get rid of the listen servers.