9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2014 11:12 PM by SuperGee88 RSS

PS3 Campaign Mission 1 freezing just after hiding behind log

Buz5

Hi,

I have just started playing the campaign missions on my ps3. I get to the point in the game where you have to hide behind a log in the first mission and the game suddenly freezes, just after you get told to use the circle button to crouch. I have tried restarting the PS3, restarting the mission, wiping all the game data and reinstalling the game/updates, I haven't tried using another disc as I don't own a second copy of BO2. Are there any other options I should be trying? Lowering resolution or sound quality? This is slightly frustrating to say the least (especially as I have now played through the first part of this mission 7 times).

I have also noticed that a fair few other people online have found that their game freezes at this point (PS3, Xbox and PC).

Thanks for the help.

Buz.

• Re: PS3 Campaign Mission 1 freezing just after hiding behind log
    OGHuxtable

Hi Bunz5,

Thanks for indicating the steps you have taken so far to resolve the issue.  Can you also check the game disc for any scratches, fingerprints or cracks?  Please indicate if you are receiving any error messages prior to the freeze as well as any blinking lights once the system shuts down.  Also, let us know if the freezing still occurs while playing offline.

You can also try the disc on another console to see if the same thing occurs.  If so, it may be a disc related issue.  Let us know the results.

Thanks ^AH

Buz5

Hi OGHuxtable,

Thanks for replying. I have checked the disc and it looks brand new, no scratches, fingerprints or anything. I have tried cleaning the disc and used a lens cleaner on the console but no good so far.

There aren't any error messages at all, just a standard message to say "Checkpoint reached".

In terms of the system, once the game freezes (with you crouched in the long grass) the system is completely unresponsive. I have tried pressing all buttons on the controller and nothing works. The console itself seems to be running still with the usual green and blue lights. The buttons on the console seem to work, so I can eject the disc and turn the machine off. When pressing the off button however the console takes a while to turn off, double beeps and requires a disc check (that I am warned could take several hours but in fact takes around 30 seconds to complete) and then the console starts up as usual.

I will try and run through the 1st campaign later, with the internet off, and let you know how it goes.

Any other comments or suggestions appreciated. Also, for clarity and to link this in with other peoples problems, it seems to be freezing in exactly the same spot as CheatKiller mentions in their post (below) albeit on a different platform.

Black Ops II - Screen freeze problem during Campaign. Help?

Other people that I have found who seem to have posted about this problem also include: Hunterfr6, irielegend

Also, for a youtube clip where the users game seems to freeze in exactly the same place as my game please see the following link. I feel that this exactly describes my current problems;

Black Ops 2 - Freezing ps3 - YouTube

I would be really keen to hear of any solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Buz.

EmiliozGunz

Thanks for the update!

Now, are you currently connected to any network whether it be a wire or wireless connection? How old are both the console/game disc?

This was something that initially was happening, but was fixed with a hotfix/update, so I want you to verify that you have the most up to date version of the game.

^JG

ATVI Support

Buz5

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. The game (the Blueray itself) I've only just bought, but the console is reasonably old (I got it the day the ps3 came out, so 5 years ago or so). I have a current wifi/internet network and when I first tried to launch the game I was told that it needed to update it. I followed instructions and it updated to patch 1.15. I then started to play the game and the freezing error occurred. I read online that if you wipe all game data (not save data) it could help the situation. So I did that and then when I next went to start the game again it once again downloaded update version 1.15 before it would let me continue.

Is there a more recent update that I should be using? Would it be useful to delete all saved data for the game (I am obviously reluctant to do this as it loses all progress, but will try it if necessary).

EDIT: I was given the game...and just been told that it came from a second hand games store (looks like new however, no scratches or fingerprints or anything).

I have also just tried playing the level, as was suggested, with the internet turned off. This didn't help and the game still froze at the same point.

Regards,

Buz.

EmiliozGunz

The save data could very well have been corrupted. So lets try this. Delete both the save data, and the game data folders. This will then require your reupdate the game. Do so, and start a new campaign.

One other question. Do you currently have any sort of USB drive, or external hard drive connected to your console?

^JG

ATVI Support

Buz5

Hi,

I deleted both the saved data and the game data this morning. The update (v.1.15) re-ran as expected when I inserted the disc and started the game. I started a new campaign and it froze at exactly the same point. When holding the off button on the ps3 (as the controller fails to respond) the machine takes around 10 seconds to shutdown and ends in 3 beeps and the need to check the file system when I restart (exactly as happened before).

I do not use any USB or external drive and do not have any other device plugged into the ps3.

Is there any way to skip this mission and continue on from a point a little further into the game as I am getting reasonably fed up with continually playing the first 30minutes of the campaign over and over.

Cheers,

Buz.

EmiliozGunz

Very sorry for the frustration, and do appreciate your patience!

For the sake of testing, can you try creating a new PSN account, and from that profile try to play through the single player campaign once more.

^JG

ATVI Support

Buz5

I will create a new PSN account as soon as I'm next on the PS3. Should I delete the saved data and game data once again?

Thank you for your help in attempting to solve this. Very much appreciated. However, I fear, on the 5th time, this will be the last time I bother to play through the BO2 campaign missions before abandoning the game due to lack of enjoyment for the non-working title. I will let you know how this attempt goes and discuss what happens from here.

Cheers,

Buz.

SuperGee88

I just bought this game and I experience the same problem at the same place, every time!
    Please advice or fix this!
    Thanks