17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 11:04 PM by jraede RSS

Black Ops II - Screen freeze problem during Campaign. Help?

CheatKiller

I was having problems with my Xbox 360: when playing this game the screen would freeze at the same place in the story each time!

At first, I thought the disc might need a clean, or that my machine was faulty. However, I've already completed the "Campaign" missions on this Xbox with this disc, and simply wanted to redo them to get Intel I'd missed. Even after giving my Xbox and disc a thorough clean; same problem. Alas, I feared the worst..........my old Xbox had finally died on me.

So, I purchased a brand new Xbox 360 AND another brand new copy of the game! However, even after changing the machine and the game, I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM!! The screen would freeze at the exact same point!?

I contacted an "Xbox Ambassador" for an online chat, but nothing I tried resolved this issue. If other players are also experiencing this same problem, then it must be a technical fault with the makers of the game - Activision.

For those interested, this is the error message I receive:

"Server script runtime error exceeded number of child server script variables. Terminal script error"

I haven't a clue what that means!?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

• Re: Black Ops II - Screen freeze problem during Campaign. Help?
    ATVIAssist

Hey CheatKiller,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing freezing after getting a replacement disc and console. To help troubleshoot this issue, which chapter and checkpoint are you at so we can investigate. Also, have you tried installing the game disc to your Xbox? If not, please try the steps here: Manage Your Xbox Game Library | Download Xbox Games - Xbox.com , delete the BO2 Title Update following the steps here: Move Xbox Content | Copy or Move Xbox Content | Xbox 360 Storage - Xbox.com , and retry. Hope this helps. ^SM

CheatKiller

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have already been through all the recommended "fixes", and nothing worked. Even when I installed the game onto my new hard drive (after deleting all BO2 saved game files), this problem persists.

The screen freeze always occurs during the first mission in Campaign - the part where my character is carrying "Frank Woods" through the long grass. As I said, the screen freezes and the error message "Server script runtime error exceeded number of child server script variables. Terminal script error" appears.

Remember; this is a brand new Xbox 360 250GB and every other game works fine in it. I also contacted "Xbox Support" for help, and they too are stumped by this problem.

I simply wanted to replay the Campaign missions to collect the Intel I missed.

I have noticed other Xbox players reporting the same problem.

Cheers.

ATVIAssist

Thank you for the update. That is weird, unfortunately since you purchased a new Xbox 360 and new copy of the game. Because of that, game data also should't be the cause of this issue. We are aware that the campaign is working as intended, without any crashes or freezing, but unfortunately, you are still experiencing the issue. If you have the chance to try playing your new copy of the game on a different Xbox 360, please give it a try. If not, please try playing another copy of the game on your Xbox 360 to see if the same thing occurs in both situations. This may help determine the issue, since any other steps has been eliminated. Another thing you can try is to remove any available storage devices connected to your console and launch the campaign without saving anything. if you are able to bypass the crash, we would suggest trying to use a different storage device. ^SM

CheatKiller

I have tried to play the Campaign on another console, and got the same problem!! I have tried everything you've suggested with no luck. As for playing the game without saving my progress, in order to see if it still freezes, that's totally pointless - it defeats the purpose of me replaying the missions.

After splashing out on a brand new console and a new copy of BO2, I REALLY would like to play this game. There are no faults with my new console, since every other game I play works just fine.

EmiliozGunz

Now, when you are playing through the mission are you attempting to navigate outside of the designated area, or performing actions that are not supposed to regularly occur within the game?

The error you are receiving sounds like there is a progression break that occurred. This means that if you some how traveled out of the zone, or somehow performed an action that would affect what occurs next (example being killing enemies before they were scripted to speak) then this would be a byproduct of it.

^JG

ATVI Support

EmiliozGunz

How long ago was the new console/disc obtained? Are you connected to a router/wifi while playing? Would you by chance be using any sort of USB or external hard drive at all?

^JG

ATVI Support

Al_Czervik

I had this problem too, for over a year.

Early on, in the jungle, after the boat sinks and you make it to land, you come to a point where you duck in cover behind a log, then crawl under it.

I would watch the kids get yelled at, then pop out and follow the other guy while I carried Woods.  Moving before he gives the explicit go ahead is too early, and that froze the game.  Every. Single. Time.

So I would have to reboot my Xbox, skip the old folks home dialoge, shoot down the Hind again and again, only to freez at that point.

There is nothing to indicate you should hold back, either, so I kept going when the coast was clear, and it always froze.

I copied disk to HD, cleaned disk twice, etc. all with the same result.

I deleted my game save and started over from the beginning (about 10-15 mins of game time) .

Then I hung back at every move if I was not in danger, and it finally made it through without freezing.

It only took almost a year and a half, but I can finally get through, even though everyone else already has.

jraede

I have this exact same issue. Every difficulty, every time I play the level, even when I start from the beginning. This is clearly not an issue with the console or the disc - if it were, it would not happen in the exact same spot for everyone who is experiencing it.

I should note that I played through the campaign when I initially bought the game about a year ago, and everything worked fine. This must be an issue from one of the recent patches I downloaded after I started playing only multiplayer.

Is there a fix for this? It is very frustrating and makes me want to jump over to play Battlefield instead of shell out $60 for the new Call of Duty.