19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 4:39 PM by anticamperas RSS

[3ARC]Make the ban list public

zrt23

Hi,

As the Support team is active on the forum these days, I would ask if they could make the ban list public ?

I ask because bans will never show up on Steam accounts. So, how to know who is banned and who is not?

It's a bit frustrating to give us the ability to report cheaters and in the other hand, to do not give us the list of hackers that have been caught.

The community has the right to know.

Hope an 'argumented' answer from Activision/Treyarch staff about this point.

Thank you.

• Re: [3ARC]Make the ban list public
    UndreamtStone

I tend to agree with you as it affects us all in the game....that way if we see a player that is supposed to be banned we can at least leave the lobby

phxs72

It's doubtful that they'd release that information but I can understand why a PC player would want to know.  Perhaps what they could do is relegate those that have been banned to only be matched with other banned players.  I would think that would be a greater deterrent to cheating if you know that once you've been banned, you will only get to play with other cheaters and most likely find yourself in endless lobbies of cheating hacks.

Of course, now that I think about it, the bans usually come with a stat reset that makes you keep your deaths.  So it shouldn't be hard to tell whose been banned even today.

Obmar

If they are banned they are banned you don't need to leave the lobby because they won't be in the lobby. The only use their ban list would have is so that you could autoban people from another game that you control a server for.

phxs you know what is an even bigger deterrent for cheaters? If they didn't get to play any more at all. By reducing punishment your idea increase the number of people willing to try cheats. No thanks.

phxs72

I'm not for reducing punishment but I'm living in the console world and assumed that the PC world functioned the same.  Most of the bans on console don't result in permanent bans.  So we get stuck playing with the cheaters once their bans are lifted.  So for us putting them in their own playlist would be an improvement.  But I do like the idea of just cutting them off altogether like you say that they do for the PC players.  That would be great.

ATVIAssist

Hi zrt23!

I understand your frustration, however due to confidentiality and security purposes, that list stays private. Furthermore, not all bans are permabans as stated in the S&E policy;"Temporary bans can range from 48 hours to 2 weeks, depending on the severity of the infraction. Permanent bans are lasting and final. A minor offense is one in which no quantifiable damage has been done to another user or the game community at large. An extreme offense is one in which a player has caused detriment to other users or has organized large groups of users to commit additional offenses." When you report a player, it goes straight to the security team to review but again, due to confidentiality and security purposes, you will not be updated on the status of your report. Thank you for your feedback! I will certainly forward along your comments to the proper channels. Feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist with. ^MD

Activision Support (ATVIAssist) on Twitter

Activision Assist | Facebook

zrt23

Ty for your answer, it's a bit 'formatted' but np.

I mean:

• I know the ban rules as most of people reading this forum.
      • I do not care about to be updated on the status of my report. I won't ask for a medal if someone I reported has been caught lol.  Thus, I'm not the only one who reports hackers and I'm also reported several times each day.

Well never mind anyway the interesting thing is:

ATVIAssist wrote:

I understand your frustration, however due to confidentiality and security purposes, that list stays private.

Confidentiality and security purposes?  -_-  So Why are we allowed to report players or check at others players stats, profile, etc..?..I do not understand..

In my eye it's not a clear position from Activision about cheaters..

I mean , you can check everything about 'legit' players but you cannot check nothing about known cheaters ?!

Sad that my English skill is too much limited to debate better, I hope it's understandable anyway..

By advance, ty for answer.

EmiliozGunz

We were able to understand you just fine.

You do bring up valid points yes, but reporting a player and actually seeing the name on a"ban" list are two completely different things. This kind of thing also falls under "Name and Shame". We ask players on these forums to avoid posting gamertags of "cheaters" so we will abide by the same rules.

While they do violate the Security & Enforcement policy, their information will remain private due to company policy. We do not want to put any single player on blast for these violations.

^JG

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist  

Twtitter

https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist

UndreamtStone

I understand your policy and procedure and will give you that one....being a company policy not much more you can do in that regard...maybe there is another solution...will think on it and see what we can come up with that may not interfere with that...also ref to perma bans...if they purchase the game again they can still come back and play right...it is just the code for the game they bought that gets banned right?? was curious how the ban works

zrt23

I'm still frustrated lol.

Cheaters are a shame. they are partly responsible for that PC gamers left the series COD slowly. And your company policy (hide the problem or/and put it private) do not helps us to trust you.

Looks like for your company, cheaters are consumers like others. They got caught, they make a new account, they buy a new copy of the game, everybody is happy... That's my feeling at this moment.

But it's not acceptable for the community since your company have 'stolen' dedicated servers.. You have to give us informations about the game we payed for.

At least, as Momba1 stated below, share your information with the VAC team, to make bans appears on cheaters profiles.

Momba1

Listen up, I formally demand that Permanent Bans show-up as VAC Bans on the Player's Steam accounts - period. BO2 is listed as VAC Enabled. Otherwise it's deliberately being misrepresented and mislabeled to the public when purchasing your product.

All of the 'temporary bans' etc are of no consequences because their not in the FORM of a binary cheat. IMO even the IP Flooders and DDoS should be in the form of Permanent Bans if verified.

anticamperas

how many banned?

EmiliozGunz

Once again, you guys do bring up good points.Thanks for all of the constructive feedback and suggestion guys. I will do my best to forward these up to our security teams for further consideration.

^JG

ATVI Support

Momba1

In a nutshell, given the choice would you rather:

A. Play against players without VAC bans.

or

B. Play against a players with VAC Bans.

Once you have the number of hours in like I do, the obvious answer is 'A' and going into to Ghosts those same Trolls that hacked in BLOPS2, need to be ousted and labeled as FACTS ... cheaters.

I or others often call out a VAC Ban player or worst player(s) and quite often 'peace' prevails and those folks slither out of the lobbies, no one wants them there and they know it.

zrt23

thanks for your work, hope your company will take us in consideration..(do I dream ? lol)

anticamperas

dont see the list not ban anyone

i want my money back

the cheat in last days is TRAGIC and is unplayable