10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2013 3:58 AM by vims1990 RSS

The LAG Saga

Cookster64

So here we go again, another 2XP weekend and another weekend of permanently available Nuketown map...great!

However, don't know if it's just me but this afternoon (GMT - I'm in the UK) the Nuketown map has largely been unplayable due to massive lags followed by a lot of 'migrating host' messages.

Why the hell can't 3arc use dedicated servers?!?!

Again, don't know about anyone else but it's odd to me how we never seem to get any 'lag' issues on League Play and very rarely get them on Combat Training, but on any other Public Match mode it can often be quite ridiculous and unplayable.

• Re: The LAG Saga
    gdexter

Migrating hosts happens when the host leaves mid game.

Ps - do a forum search for "lag" and add to existing posts, rather than unnecessarily posting duplicate topics

Cookster64

I know when the migrating host happens, but if there were dedicated servers this would dramatically reduce the problem.

And thanks, I just wanted to say what I had and at the time was too lazy to search for similar topics

liversniffer

Maybe you could be kind enough to lead him to the post you consider the post he should have added his discussion to. Wouldn't that be less confrontational than creating a troll response?

deamonomic

if anyone were to buy Dedicated servers it would be Activision not Treyarch or IW. people tend to quit alot on Nuketown. you usually have people joining and leaving all game long. Each time someone does it causes a lag spike or atleast it can.

liversniffer

Wait, what happened to "dedicated servers won't fix anything and Activision will never get them because they are too expensive"? This is what I have heard from you in the past. Why the change of heart?

ItzMeMario

Xbox One will have Dedi's for Ghosts, I am not sure that is activision's responsiblity as Mark Rubin was the one to announce it, not the rep from Activision. idk.

But yeah, BO 2 always lags on Dbl XP weekend. It was horrible. I won't play double xp weekend cuz you get a massive influx of people who only jump on for that weekend, and no life it. smh.

deamonomic

liversniffer wrote:

Wait, what happened to "dedicated servers won't fix anything and Activision will never get them because they are too expensive"? This is what I have heard from you in the past. Why the change of heart?

did i say that they were buying them or something? I believe I said "IF anyone is going to buy Dedis it will be Activision" Didnt say it was going to happen. I could be mistaken but I cant see the Developers buying the dedicated servers for a game owned by Activision.

Now from what we hear ghosts will have dedicated servers but thats thanks to More so to MS then to ACTI or the Devs. again I could be mistaken. If it were not for MS we still would not be getting them because the improvement seen would not be spectacular enough to warrant the money.

DROXX

The reason you lag more in Public matches is because there are more players in those matches.

12 players for regular matches

18 for Ground War

Where you only have up to 8 in League and I believe up to 6 in combat training.

With less connections more people are able to host a game with a more stable connection (If you have ever tryed downloading a large game on a computer such as world of warcraft you will usually notice a vast improvement in extended download speed with the pear to pear download option diabled) When you have several connections for your modem/router to process they tend to get bogged down and can tend to increase the latency (to test this you can run any torrenting file and run a pingtest.net test and you will see that you will have extrememly high latency.

vims1990

Why previous COD titles haven't used dedicated servers for previous COD titles on current-gen consoles:

In an interview with GameSpot, Mark Rubin spoke about why dedicated servers hasn’t been part of the franchise for some time. He said that IW has been looking into the idea of dedicated servers since Call of Duty 4, but they just couldn’t have enough servers for the number of players that play Call of Duty.

“One of the problems with our game, in a sense, is that we have so many players,” said Rubin. “I remember that we looked into dedicated servers on console when we were developing Call of Duty 4, and the problem was that we could only fit four [multiplayer] games onto each server. So, you times that by how many games were being played, and it was going to come out to be more servers than every data center in the United States. It would have been impossible to do.”

“Obviously the power of the servers grew, and we can fit more and more instances per server, which has helped a bit, and the fact now that Microsoft is supporting this huge cloud initiative, dedicated servers make a ton more sense. We’ll have scalability, and we’re not having to run data centers which we’re not necessarily equipped to do. Having Microsoft do that is fantastic.”

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/08/22/dedicated-servers-for-previous-call-of-du ty-titles-was-impossible-due-to-number-of-players/

Hope that answers your question.