24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 9:39 AM by Degolegody RSS

Dedicated servers for X1 confirmed... but still...

rankismet

We now know Ghosts will run on dedis for the X1...

... but...

... before the dedicated server crowd commences Operation Backflip... consider this...

We don't know how matchmaking will work?

* Will the game decide the server for you?

* Will you have to find it?

* Both?

Even more food for thought...

How will it find servers in parties?

* Just off the leader?

* Anyone in the lobby?

I hope folks realize dedis only solve host related issues (advantage/disadvantage, migrations) and anti-cheating... just know this...

It doesn't solve lag.

It doesn't solve latency.

I'm open to the change but we need more info.

• Re: Dedicated servers for X1 confirmed... but still...
    iivrruummii

No more host dashboarding and ending the game.

Precison

It might not "solve" lag, but sure helps it drastically. Switching to dedicated servers is all positives across the board, this doesn't hurt any part of the game, it only improves it. Not sure why you are trying to point out negatives.

kastro187420

Probably to try not to get people's hopes up. I've been calling for Dedicated Servers since MW2, but being a Playstation Owner, this won't really affect me. Even still, having wanted them, I'd still caution people about assuming they're going to be an "end all" to problems. It'll solve a lot of them, but not all.

rankismet

Precison wrote:

It might not "solve" lag, but sure helps it drastically. Switching to dedicated servers is all positives across the board, this doesn't hurt any part of the game, it only improves it. Not sure why you are trying to point out negatives.

Just level setting expectaions becuase so many peeps on the interwebz think dedis are gaming's silver bullet.

It's not.

trialstardragon

Becasue dedi's do have negatives to them too. They are not all positive across the board. If the game chooses the dedi you use you will still suffer lag related problems, and hit detection. Dedi's are only good if you are close to it and have a low ping to that dedi itself.

If match making still works the same then dedi's could make the problem even worse and not better about lag and lag related issues with the game.

adw1983

But the XBOne doesn't come out before 2014 over here because microsoft screwed up royally AGAIN...

PS4 will come out way before christmas...

But dedis is a so strong argument...

I have to try the game on dedicated servers somewhere before considering buying an xbone...

ChestSplittah

Also, the location of the servers. Since there will be very limited amount of people playing on the X1. Possible reason for the decision to run them now.

(Not to you) Remember years back when the reason for not having them. Well now they can't run that reason. For X1, didn't notice if they said for 360.

vims1990

I'd be pretty happy if they at least allowed you to filter by region so at least you can choose which servers you want to connect to.

As I've played a ton of BF on console, I'm aware that dedis don't solve latency considering that BF can still lag but I'd say that my experience on dedis has been positive compared to listen servers.

Also, host dashboarding, continuous host migrations, lag switching and other forms of manipulating the connectivity system is no longer an issue once COD uses dedicated servers.

The only issue I've had with a game like BF on dedis is a poor party system where a party of 4 cannot get on the same team sometimes. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue for IW.

rankismet

vims1990 wrote:

I'd be pretty happy if they at least allowed you to filter by region so at least you can choose which servers you want to connect to.

As I've played a ton of BF on console, I'm aware that dedis don't solve latency considering that BF can still lag but I'd say that my experience on dedis has been positive compared to listen servers.

Also, host dashboarding, continuous host migrations, lag switching and other forms of manipulating the connectivity system is no longer an issue once COD uses dedicated servers.

The only issue I've had with a game like BF on dedis is a poor party system where a party of 4 cannot get on the same team sometimes. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue for IW.

I love it when a man gets his terms right... listen servers FTW, baby!

My reluctance for dedis is based on BF3 and WF experiences. I found them latent, hard to connect with, and often down for maintenance. I kept thinking, COD lags like this and the servers are never down. This is soooo much better. I'm sure they got better but my desire had been pretty much spent at that point. The party things was strictly a BF thing... would not expect the same in Ghosts.

I think it's great they can leverage the cloud as they are. I think some folks (*cough*cough* Macc *cough*) downplay the value it will add to X1.

Overall, this is a good thing...

... I'm just trying to keep the ill-informed's expectations in line.

biron_w

My main concern with servers on the X1 is - what if the X1 is the only version that runs ok? What if other versions are as bad to play as the last couple of CODs?

How can Activision justify charging everybody the same price but making one version vastly superior to the other versions?

If the PS3, PS4 and 360 versions run fine then it won't matter. But if they don't then it will look very bad for Activision and Infinity Ward.

Ryumaou

biron_w wrote:

How can Activision justify charging everybody the same price but making one version vastly superior to the other versions?

Sadly they already did this several times. PC and WiiU versions of CoD titles lacking Elite support. No Nuketown 2025 on WiiU, patch support already stopping in March...

LifeSong1

Isn't this largely an issue of having the resources to do it question? MS is providing an affordable option to something that has never been very affordable for Activision to due. If PS offered this at a reasonable price I'm sure Activision would jump on it. It may "look bad" on Activision and IW but if you were to stop and look, it's largely due to one platform providing an affordable solution to something that is typically VERY expensive. 

I don't think they have to justify charging the same price as technically it is a cost that they are eating for us (based on the price of the game not changing for previous gen and new gen. 

andrebarreto

Well... I really didn't like the idea of Dedicated Servers for CoD, mainly because I live in Brazil and my experience playing BF3 wasn't good because I couldn't find any near Dedi...

Now how this Dedicated Servers will work for people playing CoD in other country that doesn't have Dedi?

EDIT: I'm current playing on the PS3, and I'm considering buying the PS4... but my concern is if Dedis would properly work on XOne and future CoD Titles begin work only in Dedis for PS4 as well... I'll be ******!

RunAndGun1

I was going to get the XBOX One eventually anyway. Microsoft is selling a new product...Xbox One. Of course they're going to design Xbox Live around that. But, in the end it's a good thing. Finally COD will have dedicated servers (without Acti spending 100's of millions of dollars), and we'll get the gameplay experience we've always wanted.

Naturally MS is moving its technology towards their newer products. What else would you expect a business to do? Microsoft and Acti are business partners. Hence, they're creating business models that benefit both of them. Namely, pushing the Xbox One to the front and sharing dedicated servers with Acti for COD. Makes perfect sense.

In the end, I'll be playing the COD I've always loved and on dedicated servers. No one can whine about "the costs" anymore. And actual gameplay will be immensely better. Here I come XBOX 1.

RunAndGun1

No...dedis don't "fix" lag, but what lag is there is usually minimal and spread out amongst all players. At least that's my experience with BC2 and BF3. Gamesplay is much more balanced when played over dedis.

rankismet

With dedis it becomes strictly about your location to the server farm. i suspect this game will play much worse for some in outlying countries.

X1 is leveraging thei existing Azure infrastructure on place for MS Office. It's an opportunity for ATVI to have dedis without the millions of CAPEX and then millions of OPEX to maintain them.

That said... be careful what you wish for... that's my thoughts on dedis.

embalmer

Dedicated servers will forever change the multiplayer experience for the better.

It won't solve all issues... nothing ever will until we all have fiber optic connections in our homes....

Degolegody

Ok. So on PC dedicated servers were here for black ops 2, and ghosts' dedis should work about the same:

-The game WILL decide a server for you.

-It is just matchmaking, but instead of a host being elected, it is a IW server.

About parties:

-The party leader will find a server near him/her. So say the party leader lives in America and everyone else in the party lives in Europe. They will get put in a server in America.

Lag and latency will always be there. In every multiplayer game. But now, instead of having 200 ping, you'll have 30-140 ping. I live in Canada and i get 100 ping when i get connected to Europe. So that would be a 3bar? When i connect to an american server i get 30 ping. Which is a 4 bar for sure.