40 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 1:54 AM by Shawk1 RSS

Is Origins a stolen idea?

badsantaboy18

Hey guys, this is not my video, but I stumbled across this on the Call of Duty Zombie's fan page. Just curious as to what you guys think about this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xh7AhbF_c

• Re: Is Origins a stolen idea?
    Billarason

Wow. It must have been stolen. I feel bad now. Treyarch should be punished.

VileClown

I really don't care, honestly. Sure, I feel bad for the guy but in all honesty, this map has been built up WAY too much to be ruined by some dude with a facebook page screaming bloody murder. You guys can boycott the map all you want, Treyarch will still make money with or without you. Besides, I play games that have ideas that were supposedly stolen from the get-go.

If we wanted, we could go even deeper and say that the creator of the artwork ripped off the iron giant for having a massive robot and a dreary tone.

badsantaboy18

Oh I'm not boycotting lol I am very interested in this map, and we can even say this map copied Sucker Punch and it's World War I sequence, but like I said, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a new idea nowadays when everything is influenced by something else.

VileClown

This isn't a big deal, who cares? Sure, they look extremely similar, but Fruiz clearly doesn't care much, otherwise he would've been the one to come out and point the finger at Treyarch. Not this "gamer who has a fanpage on facebook so i am important listen to me lel."

If I was Fruiz, I'd be jumping for joy that one of my works maybe actually influenced something as massive as Call of Duty. Money isn't everything, sometimes the pleasure of creating is just having people enjoy what you made.

And something like Call of Duty being influenced by my somewhat unknown work would give me a sense of pride in a small way.

But what do I know, I am just some guy posting on a forum.

DeathBringer-Zen

Hmm... there is no denying that it has the smell of plagiarism all over it.

Still be buying Origins though...

da0411

Feel bad for the guy ,but I'm buying Origins. That's between him and them. Has nothing to do with me. They should compensate him if its true ,but it's not going to stop me from buying it on the 27th. Sorry it's just not

SmiteFromAbove

Lol like there hasn't been lightning fog and rain in other zombies maps? Don't all trenches and tanks look alike especially in WWI setting?

SevenThug

Yeah it's a rip off, but so is just about everything else in culture nowadays. Hardly anything is truly original nowadays, everything is inspired by something else.

Yeah, he should get some money, but he probably won't. And if he were to sue them, I'm pretty sure he'd lose (I don't think most people want to deal with activision's legal dept).

Someone saw it, got inspsired, they pitched the idea based around that. But all the designs were their own obviously.

Froggmann6

Le sigh... The only things they could have stolen from this were the giant robots/WW1 setting/tank. Everything else in the map is completely original and up to the interpretation of Treyarch. It smells of plaigirism yet there is still some doubt. "Der Riese" The Giant, and the radios talking about giant robots in WaW give some credibility, yet this is just strange.

Then again, like PTG, how do we know that this guy didn't just get a preview of the map and paint those JUST to make Treyarch look terrible? We don't know. We never will unles they come out with a statement. Which they probably won't if they don't even know who this guy is.

DeathBringer-Zen

The radios on Der Riese do not mention a giant "robot"... just the Giant Project. Robot is not mentioned at all. It could mean anything.

Also, if anyone is to blame for plaigerism, it would be Benn from PTG. He is supposedly the mastermind behind this map and all everything involved in it (or so he claims).

Froggmann6

True. Although have you seen the movie "Iron Giant"? The robot bears more similarities to that than it does to the painting. Although, as Americans say, whatever. Just trying to beat the cause

DeathBringer-Zen

Although have you seen the movie "Iron Giant"? The robot bears more similarities to that than it does to the painting

True. To be honest, Origins is a mixture of Sucker Punch, with a bit of Iron Giant thrown in.

Funnily enough, the Iron Giant is based on the 1960's novel 'The Iron Man', so the inital drawings in this video could themselves be considered plaigerism to the Ted Hughes book.

Either way, the guy may feel butthurt, and rightly so, but his work was infact most likely inspired by 'The Iron Man', so...

Seems like a case of 'The Simpsons did it', and he should just move on from it. I for one am not going to miss out on what may be the only real good zombie map on Black Op 2.

TheYahwehWizard108

Its very similar but doubt they took his idea or ever even saw the image. Aside from the giant robot its a regular WW1 setting during a storm. Generic trenches and WW1 planes. And the robot is also generic looking. Could be the Iron Giant. If anything Origins looks more like that crappy movie Sucker Punch minus the giant Robot, but had planes, blimps, trenches, zombies, robot suits, and modern weapons.

Zombich1313

Dude they totally ripped Black Sabbath off!!!! tell me that ain't Iron Man!

USarmyvet

not shocked

Zombich1313

Can't way to play that Picture!!! Oh... wait I can only play the game so I don't give a *****

Lord_Desies

the more people that buy origins means more money treyarch makes off of the map...and if Fruiz decides to sue then he will get more money... In the end its a win win for everyone if people buy the map. Plus Treyarch isnt going to miss the money they loose from that kind of lawsuit if the guy even wins or even tries to sue besides complain about it on the internet.

SevenThug

Honestly, it would never go to court. Activision would destroy him in court no matter what. If he actually had some kind of a case and activision/treyarch knew it, they'd just pay him a nice chunk of change to shut up.

USarmyvet

SevenThug wrote:

Honestly, it would never go to court. Activision would destroy him in court no matter what.

That's not a lock....but it's also not how the game is played. Big deep pocket company lawyers will sink the man in triple digit debt before it ever reaches court.

ie: Erin Brockovich movie

theatriks

lol the guy points out the planes like they should be completely different. I think once you make the decision of a World War era setting things are going to start looking similar to other things in a World War era setting.

The only thing that's uncharacteristically similar is the giant robots. Treyarch have been doing a lot of strange stuff in zombies, so even then the only thing that's out of place is the 'giant' part.

If they decided they want to do an origin type map of course it's going to be in that same setting, what else could it be considering the characters backgrounds?

TopAceH3X

The stupidity I see...What type of....Just so you know saying something like this is like saying putting a tree in a video game rip offs god or any one whoever painted or drew a tree....I can watch a number of movies with this idea please tell him to try again.

USarmyvet

TopAceH3X wrote:

this is like saying putting a tree in a video game rip offs god or any one whoever painted or drew a tree....

If a tree was as rare as a giant robot in a WW1 trench i might agree.

CSAWWWWW

I see what yer sayin'. But, I really can't recall seeing thousand foot robots frolicking through a WW1 setting before the Origins trailer... until now. And, like the above comments have mentioned- it is hard to come up with anything new these days. But, the idea itself is fairly simple, and could have been 'invented' numerous times by numerous people over the last ten years...

With the history of zoms as I know it, and the 'scripture' of sorts that is the story as we all know it, with the EE's and the in-game media, I don't think this was intentional. If anything, and ya really wanted to link parallels to other things, both parties ripped off the Bible.

TopAceH3X

To be honest the robot reminds me more of the robot off The Iron Giant. Trenches are a world war one staple. Fog and the other sh!t comes from MOTD and Tranzit. Planes were in WW 1.I'm just failing to see how they straight out stole the idea.I had no idea who this person was before this and i'm guessing 3arch thinking the same thing.

xCocaColin

I mean, it's not hard to see.

World War 1 would clearly have trenches and planes. The rain and lightning? It's zombies. Don't expect sunshine. The robot? Hinted since Der Reise. Not to mention, Origins had supposedly been in the works since mid-BO1.

CSAWWWWW

@TopAce- This is kinda what I was getting at. Chances are, Treyarch didn't know about this fellow and his giant robot sketches. Maybe they did.

But like xCoca says, the robot(s)/giant(s) have been hinted at since before his drawings.

Quite possible Fruiz is a Der Reise/Zom Lore fan?

iplay2slay

Never heard one mention of anything being copyrighted by this guy...?  His work is amazing but if these concepts were not copyrighted then there are very little legal steps this guy can take.  The idea of not supporting this last map is insane until there is more proof that Treyarch literally stole this guys work. 

Lord_Desies

You are right @iplay2slay about his little choices in legal action... however like @ Seven Thug said they will just pay him a lump sum just to put this out of the light and it will be just like whipeing their ass with a couple of dollars that they wont miss. Doesnt mean this map shouldnt be totally awsome and something new to play and enjoy!

Dumme

:/ link is down now....

xCocaColin

I was a bit skeptical on believing this, but now that the channel is down, it makes me suspicious. I don't think the user would have closed it after making a big deal out of the event, but rather was probably contacted by Treyarch/Activision and forced to do so.

Shawk1

Something is definitely up. His youtube, facebook, and twitter pages are all closed now.

Maybe he screwed up and was too embarassed/ashamed to face it? Haha.