17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 7:37 PM by Sleeping_Crow RSS

Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?

insanepysco

I'm just thinking if Infinity Ward would hand out beta keys on all platforms and let us test the game would it not in some why make the game better than just 40 or 50 peoples opinion im thinking along the line if 800 to1000 opinions or maybe even more it would increase interest and decrease the amount of "glitches" that make it to the retail version of the game. but plz share your ideas in the comment section below and if you agree leave this a like so they can see it.

 

The next step is a petition cause they will not want to do it if just 8 people says that sounds cool.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    kastro187420

    I would love for them to do a beta.. the problem is that most people don't understand the difference between a Beta and a Demo. They end up treating them as interchangeable terms. You would get people coming to the forums complaining about glitches and how terrible the game is, unaware that they are playing an unfinished version of the game.

     

    I think if they were to do an Open Beta, they should do it through someone like Combat Testing.. a company with a reliable track record for Beta testing. Beyond that, I would stress in the Beta download, in an unskippable short video, that what they're playing is an unfinished version of the game and that not only will it have problems, but they're counting on it having problems, and they want people to report the glitches as best they can to them.

     

    I would love for there to be a beta, but it has to be done right, and treated as an actual Beta. I don't want one just so I can play the game for fun. I want one so that if I buy the game down the road, it is as problem free as possible.

    • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
      RunAndGun1

      I think an open beta would be great. EA did an open beta for BF3. They said it was unfinished and would have problems. It was fun. Sometimes I'd get shot by a player moving under the map. Some players would discover holes in the map and intentionally play the entire match from under the map, getting insane kill streaks and no deaths.

       

      The BF3 beta was downloadable from the console. So it can be done.

       

      One of the main benefits of an open beta would be that the developers would see where issues of lag would come up. They could start to tackle lag issues while still finishing the game. As a result of the BF3 beta, a lot of issues were tackled and there were fewer issues at release then had they gone without the open beta.

       

      So, yes to an open beta for COD.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    Submit2MyWill

    insanepysco wrote:

     

     

    I'm just thinking if Infinity Ward would hand out beta keys on all platforms and let us test the game would it not in some why make the game better than just 40 or 50 peoples opinion im thinking along the line if 800 to1000 opinions or maybe even more it would increase interest and decrease the amount of "glitches" that make it to the retail version of the game. but plz share your ideas in the comment section below and if you agree leave this a like so they can see it.

     

    The next step is a petition cause they will not want to do it if just 8 people says that sounds cool.

     

    The problem with open betas is that the developers have to deal with the lowest common denominator (i.e., lots of idiots). In terms of making people excited for a game, sure, it can have that effect.

     

    In terms of getting quality feedback and correcting glitches, closed betas utilizing intelligent people who play a lot of games and understand them will be a far superior usage of resources.

     

    Frankly, the latter option is better for everyone.

    • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
      RunAndGun1

      Submit2MyWill wrote:

       

      In terms of getting quality feedback and correcting glitches, closed betas utilizing intelligent people who play a lot of games and understand them will be a fr superior usage of resources.

      Utilizing intelligent people? Who would determine who the "intelligent people" would be. Please don't tell me MLG players. MLG is for money and is purely a promotional tool for the developers and the parent company. MLG players aren't any more "pro" then your local COD player with play time under their belt.

       

      The developers would be able to tell who the "intelligent" players are by their feedback. Other games have released downloadable betas. It can be done. It would also make people feel a part of the developing process. Which helps when it comes to sales.

      • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
        kastro187420

        RunAndGun1 wrote:

         

        Utilizing intelligent people? Who would determine who the "intelligent people" would be. Please don't tell me MLG players. MLG is for money and is purely a promotional tool for the developers and the parent company. MLG players aren't any more "pro" then your local COD player with play time under their belt.

         

        The developers would be able to tell who the "intelligent" players are by their feedback. Other games have released downloadable betas. It can be done. It would also make people feel a part of the developing process. Which helps when it comes to sales.

         

        MLG wouldn't be intelligent. They'd dumb the game down so far, they're the last ones who should be in charge of "balancing " style things.

         

        However, you can find intelligent people. People from the community who have a history of communicating well and know how to play the game. Instead of just throwing codes out there to the wild for everyone to pick up, simply do a small screening process, at the very least, to weed out the montage kids, youtubers just looking for content for their channel, and people who just want to play early without providing feedback.

         

        I think once you weed out all those people, you can start to get a decent group who would be willing to do what is necessary to help the game develop into something that is enjoyable and well balanced, and as problem free as possible.

        • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
          ChestSplittah

          kastro187420 wrote:

           

          RunAndGun1 wrote:

           

          Utilizing intelligent people? Who would determine who the "intelligent people" would be. Please don't tell me MLG players. MLG is for money and is purely a promotional tool for the developers and the parent company. MLG players aren't any more "pro" then your local COD player with play time under their belt.

           

          The developers would be able to tell who the "intelligent" players are by their feedback. Other games have released downloadable betas. It can be done. It would also make people feel a part of the developing process. Which helps when it comes to sales.

           

          MLG wouldn't be intelligent. They'd dumb the game down so far, they're the last ones who should be in charge of "balancing " style things.

           

          However, you can find intelligent people. People from the community who have a history of communicating well and know how to play the game. Instead of just throwing codes out there to the wild for everyone to pick up, simply do a small screening process, at the very least, to weed out the montage kids, youtubers just looking for content for their channel, and people who just want to play early without providing feedback.

           

          I think once you weed out all those people, you can start to get a decent group who would be willing to do what is necessary to help the game develop into something that is enjoyable and well balanced, and as problem free as possible.

          Agreed. This would be a good process. Signed contract of sorts. NDA.

        • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
          Submit2MyWill

          kastro187420 wrote:

           

          RunAndGun1 wrote:

           

          Utilizing intelligent people? Who would determine who the "intelligent people" would be. Please don't tell me MLG players. MLG is for money and is purely a promotional tool for the developers and the parent company. MLG players aren't any more "pro" then your local COD player with play time under their belt.

           

          The developers would be able to tell who the "intelligent" players are by their feedback. Other games have released downloadable betas. It can be done. It would also make people feel a part of the developing process. Which helps when it comes to sales.

           

          MLG wouldn't be intelligent. They'd dumb the game down so far, they're the last ones who should be in charge of "balancing " style things.

           

          However, you can find intelligent people. People from the community who have a history of communicating well and know how to play the game. Instead of just throwing codes out there to the wild for everyone to pick up, simply do a small screening process, at the very least, to weed out the montage kids, youtubers just looking for content for their channel, and people who just want to play early without providing feedback.

           

          I think once you weed out all those people, you can start to get a decent group who would be willing to do what is necessary to help the game develop into something that is enjoyable and well balanced, and as problem free as possible.

          Bingo. This is what I was talking about, @RunandGun1. I couldn't care less about MLG, and I'm fairly certain my interests/the interests of most gamers are at odds with MLGers.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    iivrruummii

    They have an open beta at select places over the world for the next couple of months.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    mickilla

    I think any kind of gameplay tests that can be done ahead of time are definitely worth it. Especially if the testers aren't IW or Activision employees themselves. And there's a very simple reason for this- IW makes mistakes. Some more comically horrible than others. Let's not have any illusions, every other dev team will make mistakes too, but IW in particular has had an amazing streak of additions to their games that make no sense whatsoever.

     

    The classic example is the OMA/DC grenade launchers from MW2. Really, who came up with that one? Had that mechanic been visible in any kind of test whatsoever, certainly someone would have caught it and questioned the sanity of anyone who even considered including it in the final product. And this is just one example of a great many.

     

    For the love of all things holy, these things have to be tested and caught ahead of time.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    Sleeping_Crow

    It also gives a solid opportunity to stress test the servers.  I'm not even sure if they test the game on anything other than LAN, so I won't go off on a rant.  But it would also be nice find and fix the usual day 1 problems.  Prime example, the day BO2 was released, trying to play as a party was impossible.  In order to play we had to find a way to make a party member host, have that person leave the lobby, and then join session in order to even start the match.  Even then, the person who left and rejoined would usually be on the other team.  And it took awhile to fix it, too, given all the other problems.

  • Re: Do you think Call of Duty should explore an open beta? why? or why not?
    rankismet

    Open beta? No.

     

    Closed beta with select people? Yes.

     

    ... but...

     

    Keep in mind this would be current gen only. I doubt they'd include a next console with it.