33 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 7:21 PM by RenovaKunumaru RSS

Quickscope compromise

Bobthrobber

Ok...so I have been reading all of these threads about why we need to have quickscoping in ghosts (I am personally against it).

having played COD for the past 2 hours, a thought occured to me. Half of the time when I get the drop on someone with an AR or SMG or Shotgun or LMG, my shots will miss even though I am 5 feet away and would have never missed in reality (sometimes an entire LMG clip misses!!! WTF!!!). Sometimes this gives them time to kill you even though you should have come out on top, especially if you are using a pump action or assault rifle/LMG with slow reload. I have noticed that in COD the long and medium range shots seem much easier to pull off, but up close when hipfiring or especially when ADS shots have a tendancy to mysteriously pass through targets.

So here is my compromise. Let snipers have their auto-aim and quickscoping, but give auto aim to all other weapons when firing or hipfiring within...say 10 meters. Now...the hipfiring of course would still be less accurate (we don't want autokill auto aim), but the idea is you will at least hit your target if you are within a range that would be "unmissable" in reality, and assuming you shot before you died. This means if I outmaneuver someone and flank them or sneak up on them or whatever, I will get my kill and not just be shooting arbitrarily at the surrounding environment while they take aim and headshot me while jumping through the air or dropshotting or whatever.

This also means quickscopers get one good chance in a 1v1, because while they are between shots we can close in for the kill. This of course assumes that the sniper's rate of fire aren't unreasonably high like *some* rifles in *some* COD games (ahem).

• Re: Quickscope compromise
    mrhandsss

how about everyone who quickscopes can automatically fall over dead in-game and everyone else continues to play right. This includes people who want to actually SNIPE.

to shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position: The enemy wassniping from the roofs.

Bobthrobber

mrhandsss wrote:

how about everyone who quickscopes can automatically fall over dead in-game and everyone else continues to play right. This includes people who want to actually SNIPE.

to shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position: The enemy wassniping from the roofs.

again, I am against quickscoping, but i think this would be a good compromise that would balance it out, that noone has suggested before.

iivrruummii

Why couldn't you have just posted this in one of the other threads that you read?

RunAndGun1

Recently I watched multiple videos of COD players complaining about the recent "semi" nerfing of quick scoping. One of the common traits I noticed in these videos was that the people were clearly too young to shave. In other words, they have yet to work a day in their life to survive on their own. They probably bought BO2 with their allowance, or got the game as a gift. Adults know the meaning of fair gameplay because they've learned that in order to survive in the outside world you have to be considerate of others needs and choices. Baby-faced little gamers are more concerned with K/D ratios. Of course, there are exceptions. I'm sure there are many young gamers who would prefer to play COD in a fair, team-based manner. But, I'm also betting that number is outweighed by the non-shaving crowd.

Quick scoping is BS. Ghosts will be the next nail in the coffin of COD if quick scoping and other noob traits are carried over for KDR freaks.

Bobthrobber

It is admirable that they go to such great lengths...over nothing. But IW in particular seems to like to put QS in every game, which is why I am suggesting a compromised situation where others gain a similar advantage up close where snipers should lose in particular.

RunAndGun1

I agree, Bobthrobber. I think one logical way to give non-sniper players a balanced response is to slow down a sniper's ability to switch to a handgun. Since sniper rifles tend to be longer then other weapons, it would make sense to take longer to switch to a handgun or knife.

Bobthrobber

this would likely make them whine for quickscoping more since they can complain about slow switch times.

I actually like how BF is setup. Quickscoping is pretty much impossible so switching to the pistol is common practice with snipers entering cqb. I would much rather get killed like this and know they deserved it.

MichaelPryor

I work everyday and am in my 20s. I use a sniper. I'm not even going to say I quickscope because its such an over used simple description of what snipers HAVE to do on small maps. There are so many things going on when you play online i.e your connection, your opponents connection, the fact that you're probably just not that good, ect ect that the cop out is I got quickscoped. There is a blatant misunderstanding of the mechanics of sniping in COD. It's NOT easy in BO2. Anyone who says they can pick it up and get a positive K/D has never even tried it. I'm a 100% sure on that. You have to be on target while you aim in. Sounds simple but it's not. Aim assist does not kick in until you are FULLY scoped.  There's a YouTube video that demonstrates this very clearly. Stop complaining. What happened when treyarch nerfed the snipers? MORE snipers than ever. I would be careful what you nerds wish for on ghosts. P.S I shave everyday too.

iloveshotguns

Your logic is horribly flawed and you just contradicted yourself. You claim that all quickscopers are kids and kids only care about keeping a high K/D. If they only care about K/D then why do they snipe? Sniping is obviously inferior to other spray and pray weapons like AR's or SMG's. I've seen around 1 million gameplays of people going 30-5 with AR's and SMG's, but never a sniping gameplay. Sniping is only used for fun and fun only. That's why you never see people use them in pro games, or use them to go for 100 kill gameplays. It's only the tryhards that always camps for killstreaks and only cares for there K/D and play only to get gameplay that hates quickscopers.

WKMMS

I applaud you for being willing to discuss compromise despite your distaste for quickscoping.  I'm sorry to say though that your understanding of aim-assist seems quite misguided.  There is no auto aim, only a sticky-aim, commonly referred to as aim-assist.  It never aims for you.  People like to say it does that because they need an excuse for losing a gunfight that they really should have won.

Bobthrobber

Call it auto-aim or aim-assist I am talking about the function by whatever name you choose. And what else would you call it except aiming for you? How do you figure there is no assist when every MW3 quickscoping guide begins by explaining how you use auto-aim in the process of QS or Dragscoping?

iivrruummii

Aim-assist(sticky-aim) is on most console shooters.  Auto-aim is a hack/mod.

Aim-assist was blamed for quickscoping yet when BO2 took it off of snipers, people could quickscope just as easy.

t.h.flame

You keep saying this in all your posts, but it isn't true.  That was a rumor thrown around before BO2 was launched that was debunked by Hutch.  There is aim assist and auto-aim for sniper rifles in BO2.  Auto aim is when you "snap" onto a target while aiming near them.  Aim assist is the "sticky-aim" that follows targets. 

So, in short, yes, auto-aim does exist and it does make quickscoping easier. 

iivrruummii

So what you are saying is that only snipers have "auto-aim"?  What about other weapons, do they have it too? 

WKMMS

t.h.flame wrote:

You keep saying this in all your posts, but it isn't true.  That was a rumor thrown around before BO2 was launched that was debunked by Hutch.  There is aim assist and auto-aim for sniper rifles in BO2.  Auto aim is when you "snap" onto a target while aiming near them.  Aim assist is the "sticky-aim" that follows targets. 

So, in short, yes, auto-aim does exist and it does make quickscoping easier.

No it does not make quickscoping easier.  It makes dragscoping easier, but no easier than it makes normal sniping. 

There is no aim assist on snipers until after they achieve full ADS.  You can test this yourself in a private match.  Pick any weapon other than a sniper.  Without ADSing, strafe past the enemy player and notice how your reticle tries to cling to them as you pass.  After that try the same with a sniper.  You will notice that even with a laser sight, or the iron-sight Ballist, you do not experience this phenomenon ever.  This is the absence of aim-assist pre-ADS. 

The auto-aim where your sights snap to a nearby target after you ADS exists only in single player modes.

alexjt22

A compromise for me would be to drastically reduce auto aim on EVERY weapon that way we won't have sniper pulling up their scope a foot off target but getting a kill, we will also see less laser beam kills from long distances from SMGs and ARs and we might actually bring a bit of skill back into the game god forbid.

kalph

I have mine turned off and still manage to do very well quickscoping if you have the patience to quickscope and at times do terrible but stick with it, the return is great. For that one game where yesterday I went 37 12 quickscoping on one match and 42 and 14 on another

it can be done without auto aim. Im not even running a secondary pistol or sub or assault rifle. I'm runing 2 sniper rifles so i dont have to worry about reloading. I have 5 classes with dual snipers and only ghost/cold blooded and blind eye... I can still quick scope without it. Learn to deal with it man... then you guys wont come off as cry babies as much.

jet04

Quickscoping needs to go. Black Ops 1 snipers were perfect. The ADS was much slower. Black Ops 2 is hell with the DSR. You put 2 shots in a guy, then he presses L and R to win. You don't even need to look in the scope to do it, which is even more annoying.

kastro187420

Here's my compromise:

Get rid of Quick-scoping, and I won't kick every quick-scoper in the throat when I meet them.

Seriously though, There needs to be no compromise. Simply get rid of it altogether and tell the montage kids to suck it. In fact, I would go so far as to change how damage is calculated with Sniper Rifles. My primary suggestion has always been this:

Sniper Rifles have the reverse damage profile of normal weapons.. that is, they do less damage up close, and more damage at a distance. This means that they do something like this:

50-75 Damage

50 Damage up close, and at longer distances, they do 75 damage. This means that it will work perfectly fine as a sniper rifle. No legitimate sniper will notice a difference. The only thing this does is kills quick-scoping, and makes it so that you have to pull out your secondary weapon up close when using a sniper (as it should be). Then they can remove any little "balancing" features from them such as that awkward sway that they had in BO.

Quick-Scoping needs to go, and the sooner we do that, the better off everyone will be.

BiG_Dolphin

I don't  Qs but its not that goods. Watch Fazz Kross ghost gameplay. He misses a lot. To completely make em like Black ops 1 would be insane it only works there because gameplay and bullet damage is low.

RunAndGun1

Just kill QS altogether. It doesn't belong in COD. If someone makes Mario Brothers Combat, then sure QS to your heart's content. QS isn't a real skill. QS'ers whine that it's just a game so reality shouldn't take place. But, a war game like COD should be closer to reality then fantasy.

If we allow QS, why don't developers start adding a Matrix perk. After so many points, a player can jump through the air and land 50 yards away without damage.

The idea of killing with a sniper rifle without having to look through the scope means you're not a sniper. You're a scrub. Stop couching the game around lazy players. Show some wits. Choose a weapon that requires real skill. People whine about weapons being OP. Yet, gladly accept an ability that doesn't exist in reality.

Real soldiers tell us that QS isn't even thought about. It's unrealistic. It's a lazy man's way of shooting. QS'ers say it requires practice. So does bouncing quarters into a glass of beer. But, you're not going to put that in your resume', are you? Get over your QS obsession. Play the game as its meant to be played. And developers should stop pandering to lazy players. Get a weapon. Learn it. Get better with it. Then brag about your meaningless KDR.

kastro187420

RunAndGun1 wrote:

If we allow QS, why don't developers start adding a Matrix perk. After so many points, a player can jump through the air and land 50 yards away without damage.

Have you ever played in a modded lobby before? That's actually a lot of fun and I would have no problem with them making a game mode like that lol.

Anyway, I completely agree with ya.

RunAndGun1

Oh yea, I'd accept a mode where you know you're entering a match with mods. Maybe that will deter players from boosting and hacking. It's like giving someone a paint spray can and a blank wall. Let 'em go at it. But, keep it separate from regular games.

iivrruummii

RunAndGun1 wrote:

Just kill QS altogether. It doesn't belong in COD. If someone makes Mario Brothers Combat, then sure QS to your heart's content. QS isn't a real skill. QS'ers whine that it's just a game so reality shouldn't take place. But, a war game like COD should be closer to reality then fantasy.

No. Yes.  It is called Super Mario Brothers, and they could have a soldier that shot a sniper rifle.  Neither is complaining about Quickscoping.  I think Quickscopers are right.  A war game like COD makes up a war senario, which could be considered fantasy.

LOL, that makes no sense.  We did have a glitch in MW2 that allowed you to fly up onto of the barrier and there is a perk that allows you to not take damage when falling.

The idea of killing with a sniper rifle without having to look through the scope means you're not a sniper. You're a scrub. Stop couching the game around lazy players. Show some wits. Choose a weapon that requires real skill. People whine about weapons being OP. Yet, gladly accept an ability that doesn't exist in reality.

I know that I didn't have to look through the scope on Battlefield either to kill people.  The only person that is a scrub is the person that always dies to snipers.  "Stop couching"? LOLs.  I think that I am very witty when I know how to defeat many different skilled oponents in many different situations.  From what I get from YT is that the snipers take the most skill.  Some weapons are OP, and 99% of the time they are SMGs or ARs.

Real soldiers tell us that QS isn't even thought about. It's unrealistic. It's a lazy man's way of shooting. QS'ers say it requires practice. So does bouncing quarters into a glass of beer. But, you're not going to put that in your resume', are you? Get over your QS obsession. Play the game as its meant to be played. And developers should stop pandering to lazy players. Get a weapon. Learn it. Get better with it. Then brag about your meaningless KDR.

Real soldiers don't have a 10 minute time limit.  How is it lazy if they are moving around the map getting kills?  Quickscoping does require practice to get good at it like everything else.  Bouncing quarters into a glass of beer isn't relevant.  If you want to get into a clan like OpTic or FaZe then yes you better put it on your resume  I don't have a QS obession.  I am playing the game how I want to play.  I don't think the developers care how I play the game, as long as I am not cheating.  I choose the sniper.  I learn how to snipe and quickscoping.  Then I get good at sniping and quickscoping.  Then I brag about my 2.0K/D only sniping.

RunAndGun1

Hey, if they leave in QS. Then I'll have to accept and adapt. I just think the game would be more fun if it were more challenging. That's what keeps me playing a game. Having to always find ways to improve my skills and new ways to move around the map in stealth and rushing. Part of improving my skills involves getting better with a weapon based on how its used.

I'm guessing at some point COD might take place in the future. Then all kinds of weapons can be designed and created for the game. Oh wait....that's Titan Fall. I can see that game taking off in sales.

RenovaKunumaru

•  

"If we allow QS, why don't developers start adding a Matrix perk. After so many points, a player can jump through the air and land 50 yards away without damage."
        That's already in the game. Its called LAG.