40 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2013 5:11 PM by BobbyMcGee RSS

Bandwidth Sampling

LastShadowCOD

It appears - that the BO2 software takes a sampling of your bandwidth once upon entry to the MP menu - the first menu after the campaign menu.

It doesn't update the bandwidth attribute in Options -> System Info after your first entry.

I noticed today that if you have people hitting your bandwidth and you go in with a low kbs that you can't find a game. It searches and searches - you can switch to "any" and find some but they are laggy as heck.

My question is this - since they don't resample are you doomed to laggy games because of your one-time sampling rate? Does it pay to check and renter with your best rate? The system should still place you in "best" games - but it doesn't or so I found out.

• Re: Bandwidth Sampling
    BEASTAGEDDON

Someone asked me my bandwidth the other day as I have severe lag , have no for the full life cycle of bo2, and its 996kbs , is that bad?

I have to play on best search, which gaurantees me a 100 or less ping to the game host, or it just isnt worth me playing as im like .5 seconds behind

BobbyMcGee

if i test my wii u speedofme gives a result of 700kbps download, 900kbps upload. checking connection through the options menu puts me at 973kbps or so.

now if i get on my smartphone (htc evo 4g 3d), and test with speedtest.net, it puts my speed at 24.36 mbps download, 1.40 upload, 30ms ping.

anybody else find how slow the u is disturbing?

BobbyMcGee

beast your slightly better than mine, bout the same. my internet is just fine, i could pay extra for 50mbps but why? it seems to be all upload speed and ping, but there are plenty of people on here with 3000kbps or so though, to put things into perspective.

LastShadowCOD

My rate in B02 was 638kbs or so and it wouldn't join a lobby - just searched. When I went out and back in it was 740kbs which is "normal" for me and it found "best" lobbies fine. It was still a little laggy, but I would say like usual.

If you have 996kbs you must be screaming fast.

BobbyMcGee

i can actually get those speeds through my phones data connection creating a wifi hotspot with my phone...funny thing is it can be around 300 running terrible, ill go to main, re-connect, and get 700-900 and its not bad, on my phones data connection!!! if i did play at awful speeds it sucks and your running in quicksand, but you teleport so badly people literally cannot get a good shot and it seems to ruin their aim assist. wonder how many people intentionally do this? ever see a high-scorer in game with an awful connection, one or two bars? i know i do every damn day...

7echidna7

I've been using my phone as a hotspot for about the last two months. Only have 1gb data a month, I play nightly and haven't gone over limit yet. Sad though because I have an excellent home Internet that I play all my other games online with buy blops 2 just refuses to connect.

Here's my experience with the phone. Started on iPhone 4 and had average 700kbs with 3 yellow bars in lobby. Few dropouts.

Upgraded to iPhone 5, not sure what downloads are but have been having a 4 bar green connection consistently. Probably because 4g.

BeediferDeux

mines is an epic 688kbs, but ive moved further into the wilderness since i started playing this, so is that what i have now or what i had when i lived in town?

LastShadowCOD

What you have now - it takes a new sample everytime you enter the MP menu.

onlyUSEmeSKILLZ

My problem is ping to other countries which causes me huge grief! My ping to my country, anywhere in my country , is around 30-55, anything under about 80 is fine, USA guys have ping of less than 10 in some states. When I play on an host outside the UK my ping goes to 200+ in europe, and over 400 to a USA host, so im at a huge disadvantge in 1v1s against those players.

Basically speed is the time it takes to get from your console/pc/mobile to your internet exchange, which is usually pretty close to where you live. Ping is the time it takes to get a bullet from your console, through all the internet to the hosts console, and then back to you. The lower the ping you have the better you`ll do in gunfights. I had a much better time on my old ISP when mu download was just 4 as my ping was around 15, now my speeds up to 14/16 and but my ping has quadrupled.

My gaming experience in the afternoons when on euro host is not too bad, once we hit 7pm my stats,scores, and the rest of it, hit the floor

WiimotesRus02

Bro, no matter what your ping is, it was the same with the other games. My ping to the states is better than yours and my problems are the same. Its not your internet, its their servers. That is all there is to it...

onlyUSEmeSKILLZ

Speedtest and Pingtest both rate my ISP SKY as very good for EVERY use of the internet, great speeds etc, no slowing down at peak times etc etc  BUT online games may not perform optimaly when playing on a host in a different country.

onlyUSEmeSKILLZ

I played with you and your good lady for the last few nights and you both sucked

BobbyMcGee

Does anyone else have that problem though? Or am I the only one who's wii u is terribly slower than every other device I can connect to my network???

Mcewok

My speed is about 750kbps (speed info from Blops 2 menu). I have very intermittent games, some can be great and others its nerf gun time, I always check in game whilst im playing the bars for myself and other players, If im constantly getting outgunned or 1 shotted ( basically anything that didn't feel right) I check the players signal, In 99% of the cases i have said ,I will have low bars red, orange, and they will be green 4 or 5 bars.  Its that easy to know if im gonna have a bad time or not. As the rounds are only 10 mins max I usually struggle through but if its insta death or soap bubble gun so bad i give up and try another lobby.

WiimotesRus02

BobbyMcGee wrote:

Does anyone else have that problem though? Or am I the only one who's wii u is terribly slower than every other device I can connect to my network???

You're not alone and its not your internet. Even if beast can't grasp this, its all down to treyarch and nothing else..

LastShadowCOD

Is it Treyarch or is it Nintendo?

I'm beginning to think Nintendo's wireless protocols are dogs.

WiimotesRus02

LastShadowCOD wrote:

Is it Treyarch or is it Nintendo?

I'm beginning to think Nintendo's wireless protocols are dogs.

A_Trey_U tried to tell me once they thought it was Nintendo, i'm not sure if I believe it though. But its not our internet thats for sure..

bughunt

If it was Nintendo or something to do with the Wii U connectivity in general then it would also affect Black Ops Wii.  The Virtual Wii mode uses the same configurations that are set in Wii U mode.

I get the usual (though, these days it's more than usual now) matches where I know I'm a good deal behind other players.  I get insta-killed, shot at around corners, not getting hit markers, sometimes getting nothing but hitmarkers in HCTDM, being killed by invisible players, etc.  I'd give up and boot Virtual Wii mode, load Black Ops Wii and never have a problem.

My most memorable situation for this was when playing Standoff.  I found myself up in the central building because I couldn't kill anything.  There was another player up there with me who was looking out of the window.  Since I knew I was being screwed by the "lag" I was going to use what I could to gain the upper hand.

I was keeping an eye on the minimap on the Gamepad and knew that an enemy was making its way towards the doorway (easy to figure this kind of thing out based on where teammates are dying and where they could be shot from, etc.  I could also hear the gunfire.)

Well, I moved to the stairs so that I could see the bottom of the doorway.  He would be coming from the left and I'd see his shadow before he reached the door.  My intention was to start shooting as soon as I saw his shadow (there wasn't a teammate in that direction since they had all died).

5 seconds later the teammate behind me started shooting over my shoulder and the next thing I knew...I was dead, the teammate was dead and I saw an enemy player running down the stairs away from us.  I assumed that he maybe came in through the window.  Theatre showed that he came in through the DOORWAY, up the stairs, killed me, killed the teammate and then ran back down.  I never saw a damn thing until the "dying animation".

I quit at this point and booted Black Ops Wii from the same Wii U and never had a single problem with connection.  Solid 4 bars, sometimes 3.  Had one match where I was down on 2 bars but was still getting kills.  I see them, I aim at them, I pull the trigger, they died.  My only deaths were my own failings, getting legitimately outplayed or when there was a cheater.

It was no different of an experience from when I used my Wii when playing the game.  Same LAN adapter, same router, same internet.

LastShadowCOD

Your theory is sound - except for one thing: The wii OS (that boots on the wiiu) is different from the new normal wiiu OS. It seems that to play old games on the wiiu they just boot the old OS.

So the code required to interface to the network API's are/perhaps/should be different than the old wii protocols.

Perhaps it's all running the same objects underneath, but even if this were the case - there is still more top-end code on the new wiiu.

Either way, someone should explain the issues to the users and make changes to their code.

BobbyMcGee

see my post below.

bughunt

It's very possible that the two network APIs differ.  The Wii U has a variety of different additional sub-applications that connect and exchange information compared to the Wii.

Something I can't help but notice is that the "lag" that I seem to intermittently get with BO2 is a somewhat more extreme form of what I would sometimes get with MW3 during the brief time I bothered to try it.  BO Wii ran fine 99% of the time, as did pretty much every other online game I played.  I've also heard of XBox 360 players complaining of this weird "lag" in MW3, too.

With the Wii U I find issues with BO2 yet no issues with BO Wii.  I can no longer borrow MW3 otherwise I would have tried it in Wii Mode and checked if I still got some of those weird "laggy" issues on the Wii U.

Every other online game for the Wii U has run perfect except this game.  My nephew has MH3U and never had a problem.  I've also never heard of any issues with NFS:MWU or Sonic Racing.

It strikes me that whatever changes that they started to implement during MW3 has been carried over into BO2 in one form or another.  It could either be in the network coding of the game or their servers.

I can't quite figure out what is going on, but I noticed a thread where a user was talking about how two seperate Wii Us had two sepereate experiences online when they are on the same connection.  I've had 2 Wii Us and an XBox 360 connected to my TV and hooked up to the same router before (though used at seperate times).  One of the Wii Us belonged to me and the other Wii U and XBox 360 belonged to my nephew.

I didn't really notice much of a change between the Wii Us (they were used at seperate times of the day so things were naturally different).  There wasn't much of an improvement overall for the XBox 360 either, though I've seen it get pretty bad there, too.

LastShadowCOD

Yes, but you can't compare different games.

MW3 and BO2 are peer-to-peer.

I don't know about the rest but they may use servers to host.

bughunt

Wasn't the original Black Ops also p2p?

I know that I can't compare different games since their methods of connection management will no doubt differ.  It was just to highlight that the networking of the Wii U appears to work fine, as does the networking within my home.

One of the biggest indicators that the problem must lie with the coding of BO2 or its servers is that other platforms have also experienced this same exact problem.

I'm not sure if it is some sort of interpolation between player connections in a lobby or just some other form of "equalization", but I do know that the fault does not rest with my own network nor any hardware that I possess.

EvuLxWonder

I have a 2997kbps since i'm wired on wii u done speedtests through the browser it won't go past 10mbps I do speedtests on the computer and i get this http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2873415627 If I don't wire my wiiu I lag a lot. Even though I have 2997kbps doesn't really mean anything since i always find myself getting killed by people that i see first but on killcam a single bullet doesn't come out of my gun on their screen.

onlyUSEmeSKILLZ

You see thats weird, coz I have the exact same wired or wifi

BobbyMcGee

see beast, hes around 3000kbps and still...same issues. my guess? all these lag issues are being caused by two things. one, two player gaming with one on the pad. i play zombs with my girl almost everyday, and when shes on the pad my tv play is a lagggy mess, there is no doubt about this one. secondly, the miiverse. i think that is what slows the u to a crawl. and if i rush through the menus to set up a game of zombs or multi, ya know, press the buttons as fast as possible while miiverse loads up and the in the black ops game menu, it gives me moderate nat every single time. to get nat back to open i have to shut down, switching to campaign or multi doesnt even help...

DuceStamina

I have a pretty decent connection and I lag more than I should sometimes. I am based out of Pennsylvania but I often find myself getting connected to lobbies where I am the only english speaking person. Most of the people I play with comes from foreign countries. While I do enjoy meeting new people I would like some local US love as well.  When I play on the Xbox, you can actually see where my ISP is based out of and it is the correct information. Here's what I get on my SpeedTest:http://www.speedtest.net/result/2876720369.png

chad111

Me too, 2700kbps with a wired connection. Two player, game lags on the tv but not on the pad. I have the same problem with bullets coming out of my gun first and I get killed, kill cam shows no bullets coming from my gun, and this is when I'm playing one player on the TV with the game pad turned off.

M4GNUM

I think they do resample - I check mine each time and lately it's been saying 0. As in no bandwidth. Yet I'm connected? Um...okay! A while later it gets up to 2.9 or 3.2 which is the norm for me.

Trust me when I say your speed tests on your PC, Mac, laptop, whatever are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than speed tests on the Wii U.

I wrote about these differences a while back: http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200652845?start=0&tstart=0

Good reading for when you're on the toilet

BobbyMcGee

i dont think the u was designed or is capable of high download speed. think about how slow the browser is. think about how cr@ppy the youtube app is. im not sure why it was made this way, not a tech guy, but when my internet is supposedly 20 down (those are the speeds i pay time warner for) and every device i have besides wii u connects at around 24mbps, never ever below 20mbps, its impossible to argue with my logic.

M4GNUM

I don't think it is either and I'm curious about what kind of USB it has. That would explain some of my issues when I used to use the adapter. When I was on the phone with Nintendo, they blamed my router. I mentioned the laggy YouTube and browser, as well as laggy gameplay. I'm confident it is NOT my router. The speed tests I ran on the Wii U, 2 feet away from my router vs speed tests on my laptop, 30 feet from my router proved it. I can have 3 PCs, an AirPort Express flying music to my receiver, 2 smartphones, HP printer, Bluray player, and Onkyo receiver all talking at once and my connection doesn't suffer. But turn all that sh1t off and run the Wii U? Speed drops like crazy.

All that said, I still don't let TreyArch off the hook.

BobbyMcGee

same here. my brand new router sits on the shelf above my u, literally less than a foot away. when im gaming i make sure every other device is dis-connected. havent tried wired because everyone says its the same, so why bother.

M4GNUM

With wired, I did notice less disconnects/bounces from lobbies/their server...but a slower connection overall so I switched to wireless. That's why I wonder about the speed of their USB port. Whoever the genius was that didn't bother to put a cat 5 port in the back of the U should be fired.

BobbyMcGee

yeah, dont get me started on the whole dolby surround issue as well, played through zombiu the first time completely missing half the games sounds, ex. the sound of the swinging cricket bat. i dont even know anymore so much just doesnt make sense.