15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 2:31 AM by deamonomic RSS

Camping and Sniping

Casinopete

I've been playing COD for a few years, and in general, I'm not that good.  But I love the game, specifically COD BO2 Free for All.  But two things really bug me.  First, the non stop complaining about camping.  If you think about Black Ops and anti-terror squads, they don't run at full speed while in conflict, and they assume "camping" positions to rest and to surprise the enemies.  Since when did COD turn into "run non-stop" and never employ a strategy.  Why not have the men actually run out of breath more and try to replicate real conflicts?

 

The second comment is on sniper rifles.  I've never used one in real life, but if I was in a conflict, I doubt I could run up to the enemy that has a machine gun, and beat him to the punch with a snier rifle!  Plus, shoot him in the head in a split second!

 

Just saying..

  • Re: Camping and Sniping
    Schoat333

    I agree with your first point, but for your second, there are simply lucky shots. I get killed far more often by smg's and lmg's than snipers. I think the sniper rifles are balanced pretty well for the fast pace of this game, as well as the small maps.

    • Re: Camping and Sniping
      ItzMeMario

      I think he was talking about quick scoping.....And true, nobody quick scopes in the military, its a glitch. or a persausive tactic. Eh. its cheap.

      • Re: Camping and Sniping
        deamonomic

        ItzMeMario wrote:

         

        I think he was talking about quick scoping.....And true, nobody quick scopes in the military, its a glitch. or a persausive tactic. Eh. its cheap.

        its not a glitch. It is what it is. its literally no different then anything else anyone does in the game. from drop shoting to halo jumping to simply strafing or camping. its all the same crap. If you are getting owned by a QS to the point where it annoys you its because A: they are good at it or B: you are doing something wrong, fact is most QS are terrible. For those of you who want QS gone, its not gonna happen. if your hoping ghosts to save you, you should realise that IW is more QS friendly then Treyarch is. QS is a part of call of duty every bit as the rest of it. and its not a engine problem. It works that way because they intend it to. its not a mistake.

         

        as far camping goes I like campers. they are predictable and therefore easy to kill.

        • Re: Camping and Sniping
          AsmodeousNZ87

          I accept that its not going anywhere, i dont like it, i can do it but not well, my only issue with it is its a 1HK at all ranges, Shotguns can 1HK but not cross map (KSG's range is still excessive IMO)

           

          To me a weapon that is a 1HK at all ranges is not balanced that is my issue with it and the only time i am truely frustrated is when i am allready shooting them and i get QS, if they improve the flinch Mechanic for snipers in the next game i will be a very happy man

           

          I can accept that to QS with consistency and to regularly go positive takes skill and if they can do that against me more power to them but for the love of god if i am hitting them with bullets there should be sufficient if not excessive flinch, its a precision weapon that should rely on accuracy and should not win a gunfight when they are well behind, they can do what no other weapons are capable of and that is poor balance

          • Re: Camping and Sniping
            deamonomic

            AsmodeousNZ87 wrote:

             

            I accept that its not going anywhere, i dont like it, i can do it but not well, my only issue with it is its a 1HK at all ranges, Shotguns can 1HK but not cross map (KSG's range is still excessive IMO)

             

            To me a weapon that is a 1HK at all ranges is not balanced that is my issue with it and the only time i am truely frustrated is when i am allready shooting them and i get QS, if they improve the flinch Mechanic for snipers in the next game i will be a very happy man

             

            I can accept that to QS with consistency and to regularly go positive takes skill and if they can do that against me more power to them but for the love of god if i am hitting them with bullets there should be sufficient if not excessive flinch, its a precision weapon that should rely on accuracy and should not win a gunfight when they are well behind, they can do what no other weapons are capable of and that is poor balance

            again I ask you, what does it matter if he kills you from  one shot at 500 feet or 5? nothing. He still aimed, he still shot you. now the flinch bit I can understand to a degree. did you ever play halo 2? any time you scoped in that game and got a single hit, the game automatically descoped you. Was annoying as hell.

             

            Snipers only get one chance to kill you. If they get a hit marker they should be dead, if they miss they should be dead. By making it to wehre they cant get a OHK your basically signing the death warrant for all sniping. Try using the Balista Iron sight. Sight up an enemy, shoot him in the chest, get a hit marker and die. then tell me that OHK is too much.

          • Re: Camping and Sniping
            SitRepPro

            AsmodeousNZ87 wrote:

             

            I accept that its not going anywhere, i dont like it, i can do it but not well, my only issue with it is its a 1HK at all ranges, Shotguns can 1HK but not cross map (KSG's range is still excessive IMO)

             

            lol it doesn't actually kill that far and it takes a fair amount of skill to use than getting cross-map headshots with the KGB AR like I've done.

      • Re: Camping and Sniping
        SitRepPro

        People don't drop shot in the military and they don't Halo jump either.

        • Re: Camping and Sniping
          deamonomic

          SitRepPro wrote:

           

          People don't drop shot in the military and they don't Halo jump either.

          they also dont Respawn, they also dont take more then two bullets to the face and live... atleast not generally. They also dont survive being ground 0 for a C4 explosion because of a vest. They also dont get random ordinance (is that the right word? it looks... wrong o.0) based off of how many enemies they have killed. they also dont take a .50 cal to the leg and walk it off. I could go on and on and on and on

  • Re: Camping and Sniping
    PandasRpeople2

    As I see it there are two kinds of camping.  The first kind, i.e. "true camping," involves setting up shop in a dark corner off the beaten path, possibly with Assault Shield, Claymore and Trophy System defenses, and waiting for some random enemy to wander into your sightlines.  The second kind, i.e. "false camping," involves waiting behind cover or going prone for five or ten seconds when you have good reason to believe that enemies will be coming along soon.  I think everyone (and rightly so) mocks or pities or is amused by the true campers.  But false campingis a legitimate and necessary tactic; and the only ones who complain about it are ADD-addled kids who can't play the game any other way than rushing everywhere with an SMG or shottie and expect everyone else to conform to their spastic playstyle.

     

    As for quickscoping: hopefully the new game engine in CoD:Ghosts eliminates this blight on the game (though honestly, without quickscope ability snipers might have to be buffed a little to perform on an even playing field with the other weapon classes).

  • Re: Camping and Sniping
    snorubit

    I don't care much about people's playstyle. I have had rounds where I do get bored as there is not a lot of action- usually everybody runs to their favorite spot/building and sets up shop. I and whoever else who plays the game to actually shoot people then proceed to move from building to building clearing which is Ok but can get "quiet" as far as action and excitement goes. Not very challenging and quite repetitive.

     

    I would also caution on drawing comparisons to real military service. This is an arcade shooter by design. Keep it up and you'll start pulling latrine duty and actually have to spend more time maintaining your weapons than firing them.

  • Re: Camping and Sniping
    pulmstar

    Why do people hate certain play styles? As it has been said it is a 'game' people should be entitled to play the game the way they want.

     

    I will say that I will often find myself having to adapt my play style depending on the game type and the opponents (I am a solo player).

     

    If I am in a game with a QSer then I will try to keep my distance or simply try and time my attack with team mate. I have been killed by QSers but I have also killed QSers, I haven't ever rage quit or thrown my controller because I have been killed by one. And being honest I have watched all the videos on how to do and I simply can't do it no matter how hard I try. I consider it a skill and think fair play to them.

     

    Likewise with the "campers", if people want to 'hide' then let them. Again, I have never gotten upset because a so called camper has shot me. Normally they will stay in the same place so as soon as they have shot me I make of point of simply going back and shooting them, often I consider it a free kill as you know where they are.

     

    Also, would spawn trapping not be classed as 'camping'?

  • Re: Camping and Sniping
    adw1983

    Team deathmatch is the only game mode where camping is unrealistic and problematic.

     

    In reality, if special forces are going to take out terrorists, they won't take all day: They will execute the mission fast and effectively AND THE TERRORISTS WILL TRY TO ESCAPE.

    UNLESS the terrorists have an objective to protect.

     

    Realistically, team deathmatch would be as follows:

    Attackers: Eliminate the defenders

    Defenders: Don't die

    Scoring: Number of defenders killed (number of attackers killed is irrelevant)

     

    Switch roles after 4 minutes

    • Re: Camping and Sniping
      deamonomic

      adw1983 wrote:

       

      Team deathmatch is the only game mode where camping is unrealistic and problematic.

       

      In reality, if special forces are going to take out terrorists, they won't take all day: They will execute the mission fast and effectively AND THE TERRORISTS WILL TRY TO ESCAPE.

      UNLESS the terrorists have an objective to protect.

       

      Realistically, team deathmatch would be as follows:

      Attackers: Eliminate the defenders

      Defenders: Don't die

      Scoring: Number of defenders killed (number of attackers killed is irrelevant)

       

      Switch roles after 4 minutes

      I think thats supposed to be the general idea behind Hardpoint. and TDM is more about... well think of it more as 2 enemy groups encountered each other at random. both sides were pushing. this is no "attacker" or "defender". its basically a meat grinder. TDM is fine in my own opinion, but then again i have few issues dealing with campers.

      • Re: Camping and Sniping
        Desslok

        I dont find camping a problem at all Blops 2. Now MW3 it was a nightnare. Camp sitrep and corners everywhere. I laugh when I get hate messages. It means you got to them lols!.

        • Re: Camping and Sniping
          deamonomic

          Desslok wrote:

           

          I dont find camping a problem at all Blops 2. Now MW3 it was a nightnare. Camp sitrep and corners everywhere. I laugh when I get hate messages. It means you got to them lols!.

          campers are predictable. Run N gunners are less so, but still fairly predictable. its the random players Like my self that dont really have a set plan that are the annoying ones. My plan is basically figure out what the enemy is upto and counter it accordingly.