44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 3:36 PM by ChestSplittah RSS

DLC: Reduce the price, or increase the content.

Tobzza

I know people complain about this, and I know it's not really IW's fault, but $15 for four maps is unbelievable. I cannot believe just how greedy companies are getting. Obviously I'm pointing the finger at Activision.

FOUR MAPS. Awful. We should be getting 10, MINIMUM for that price. I just cannot believe the money grabbing!

Imo DLC should be free. "Thanks for buying our game, as a token of our gratitude, here's some cool free maps for you to enjoy every couple of months, to keep things fresh, thank you".

Ha. No chance of that happening, you'd never do anything nice for your gamers would you activision?

$15 for 4 maps. Not good, not good at all.

EDIT - After reading some of these replies I can remember why I stopped using the COD forum, one of the most unfriendliest fanbases I've ever seen.

Message was edited by: Tobzza

• Re: DLC: Reduce the price, or increase the content.
    iivrruummii

Buy the Season Pass and save money.  As for MW3 and BO2 they have given us the most content so far.

rankismet

Actually... it's 4 MP maps and 1 Zombie map. Please get some facts correct before you spout off into hyperbole land.

Btw... if you don't like the price...

... newsflash...

Don't buy it.

And of course you think DLC should be free... typical me first, over entitled, instant gratification now generation thinking.

Bra... freakin'... vo.

iivrruummii

I completely missed where he said it should be free.  LOL.  Companies make a good portion of their money off of DLC.  Another thing is these companies are businesses and the are designed to make money, they ARE NOT a volunteer organization helping the poor.

Tobzza

I'm talking about IW map packs, obviously I know there's a zombies map as well in TA DLC's. If I was talking about the TA map packs then don't you think I'd post it on the Black Ops 2 forum?

Not as smart as you think you are.

IW give you 4 maps and some spec ops missions that aren't even worth acknowledging. If you don't see that this is a rip-off then you've been brainwashed.

iivrruummii

Hey I enjoyed the Spec Ops missions.

rankismet

Actually... as it stands, you're making stuff up. They've yet to announce DLC for Ghosts. Hell... they've yet to show Ghosts MP, period. Why don't we see the price point and content? I know... that's not convenient with your POV.

I don't see this a "rip-off" because I have a calculator and understand the economics of bringing software to market. If you want to discuss previous titles to Ghosts... newsflash, again... ATVI is the publisher and sets the price (regardless of the dev).

And, yes, I am as smart as I think I am. Thanks for the concern.

RunAndGun1

rankismet wrote:

And of course you think DLC should be free... typical me first, over entitled, instant gratification now generation thinking.

Bra... freakin'... vo.

Thumbs up, rankismet. That's one of the things that bug me about current players in BO2. The same people that think...

"...screw my teammates I'm here for my own KDR ((despite the fact that the game is team based))...I'll push my teammate into crossfire if it means I get a kill, blah, blah, blah..."

The most self-centered group of players I've ever encountered. Battlefield players are a lot less selfish.

But, at the same time....I'm not surprised.

Since Vondehaar and his untalented minions at Treyfart pump out tiny maps (which encourage camping), have done nothing to fix the crapazz spawning, horrible match making, and ridiculous lag. Is it any wonder some people want "free" DLC.

Since I trust Infinity Ward more then 3arch I'm expecting a better product and gameplay in Ghosts. Although I'll wait to see what maps come with Ghosts before I decide to buy a Season Pass. If there isn't a variety of maps in Ghosts' original release, I won't expect the DLC will be any better. But, if they've proven wiser then 3arch - as they usually do- I'm hopeful for Ghosts.

ChestSplittah

Noobish thread.. nuff said.

ChestSplittah

Tobzza wrote:

I know people complain about this, and I know it's not really IW's fault, but $15 for four maps is unbelievable. I cannot believe just how greedy companies are getting. Obviously I'm pointing the finger at Activision.

FOUR MAPS. Awful. We should be getting 10, MINIMUM for that price. I just cannot believe the money grabbing!

Imo DLC should be free. "Thanks for buying our game, as a token of our gratitude, here's some cool free maps for you to enjoy every couple of months, to keep things fresh, thank you".

Ha. No chance of that happening, you'd never do anything nice for your gamers would you activision?

$15 for 4 maps. Not good, not good at all.

EDIT - After reading some of these replies I can remember why I stopped using the COD forum, one of the most unfriendliest fanbases I've ever seen.

《So you decide to use it regardless,  while implying the owners are cheap, miserly》

Message was edited by: Tobzza

otisman666

I don't disagree with the OP on the concept of lowering the price.  The one thing I have a really tough time dealing with is that if I have a DLC then I am seperated from the "have-nots".  If there are less "have-nots" then the likelihood of me getting a good match (in terms of connection) are reduced.  No where was this more noticable then in MW3.  I was a season pass guy and the difference was noticable when I would play with DLC turned on and DLC turned off.

Now if the price were lower, one would suspect that more folks would be apt to buy.  The more that buy, the more people in the "haves" side of the equation.  The better the game ends up playing for us.

Additional Note:  I can say this, I did not purchase the season pass for BO II simply because there was not the option of turning the DLC on or off.

squity123

In MW3 they released 6 bonus stuff in DLC 1 (4 MP & 2 SO), 7 in DLC 2 (3 MP, 2 SO & 2 Face Off), DLC 3 they released 8 (3 FO, 4 SO & 1 bonus SO Gamemode) and finally they released 5 in DLC 4 (All MP maps). Through all DLC they remained at £11.59 ($15) so it was moslty more than 5 maps per DLC. They also released 3 free DLC (2 FO & 1 MP). Treyarch then continued the trend of 5 DLC maps for the same price (I'm not counting the Guns).

surridge1990

Having the ability to buy each map individually as a micro transaction would be better, i personally dont play the special ops mode at all so for me including them in a DLC pack is a waste of both our times (myself because its extra to D/L and IW for creating something i dont even use)

Instead release them as micro DLC groups.

Group 1 - JANUARY - 4 mp maps 1 so map

Group 2 - APRIL - 1mp map 3 fo maps 1 so map

Group 3 - JULY - 2mp maps 1 fo map 2 so maps

Charge £3 per map with a 10% discount if someone buys all maps from each group in the same transaction.

That way people dont have to spend money on maps they dont want and waste time on downloading them because they're included in a pack.

This way IW would also get a much quicker idea of whats popular and whats not so they can base future DLC's/Cod Titles on what they can see selling well and not put too much effort/resources into features that clearly arent popular

DSDDE

I agree with the premise of this thread. Making matters worse, the DLC that I did buy for MW3 on PC (1 and 4) have to be disabled to allow me to find any matches at all. So not only is the DLC overpriced, but I can't even use it. Along with maps, DLC should include guns that can only be found through DLC, different asthetics such as armor, and gun attachments that can't be unlocked through standard gameplay. Does this favor those who pay more, yes, of course, but it also gives more value for the money.

scotland-rules

I think the price is too high considering one is a zombie map (not everyone plays zombies) and one has been a re-skin.

Plus WAW map packs were 7.99 and offered the same content. how can they justify the almost £5 increase we've seen?  The map design certainly hasn't gotten any better, although this is open to opinion of course.

maccabi

scotland-rules wrote:

I think the price is too high considering one is a zombie map (not everyone plays zombies) and one has been a re-skin.

Plus WAW map packs were 7.99 and offered the same content. how can they justify the almost £5 increase we've seen?  The map design certainly hasn't gotten any better, although this is open to opinion of course.

so the maps have gone up £5 since waw ..remind me again how many years ago waw came out?

plus there are ways to get discounts on map packs, you can sign up to something like xblrewards, buy the season passes..

otisman666

maccabi wrote:

scotland-rules wrote:

so the maps have gone up £5 since waw ..remind me again how many years ago waw came out?

plus there are ways to get discounts on map packs, you can sign up to something like xblrewards, buy the season passes..

Macc is right if you consider the discount that is given via the season pass (I have never seen anything in the ways of xblrewards though).  The season pass would afford the user only 2.99 increase.  Also, WAW only included 3 MP + Zombies while both BO and BOII have included 4 MP + Zombies.

Hey don't get me wrong, I still think the price is too high because 1. I am cheap and 2. There are more players w/o the DLC then with it.

squity123

I bought the Season Pass thing for MW3 on ps3, it kinda sucked cos you had to wait ages for your maps you paid for appear (This is why no Pass for BO2). I don't think we have an XBOXrewards scheme though on the PS3. and it's more expensive on PS3 aswell for UK people.

SubToXd

DLC just plain sucks. And it always will. Im the negative nancy here, but im just being realistic. They say they want total character custimization, but their very first DLC will include new camo that you can wear.....And the next thing you know everyone will look exactly like you and it will defeat the purpose of personalizing your character.

Bobthrobber

Most of the "DLC" released by companies now was already finished when the game was released. Maps, skins, unlocks- things which were once considered a fundamental aspect and inclusion to any game have now become an excuse to try and get $100 out of $60 games which they are progressively putting less and less effort into developing.

RunAndGun1

The ever shrinking maps is proof of how they're putting less and less time into production of COD games. Yet they're charging the same as any other game. It's a total scam. And it's insulting that they would take advantage of their fan base like that. Oh look, it's a "fast action" game with "fast action" maps. Yea, it's fast action because you have less time to think thanks to the microscopic maps.

"Ghosts" may be the most appropriate name for the next COD title given that its becoming a ghost if it continues the downward spiral of quality and crappy content. Sadly the people who didn't play World at War and COD4 really don't know the quality that COD used to be. Calling Black Ops 2 the best COD ever is like calling Herve "the plane, the plane!" Vellichaize the tallest TV star in the United States. Modern Warfare 2 had far better maps then anything in BodyOdor 2.

ChestSplittah

Agreed upon. The design of the maps and mechanics is leaning towards a GTA ( as I've been saying since Black Ops CoDHQ) type of game play.  Yeah, they keep slapping it in a FPS perspective, but look how broken it has become... sound and visual barely even correlate with what is being seen and what roughly what should be heard at x and y point in time.... Never even experienced this on B.R.O...

Bobthrobber

Not to mention the whole scam about when you buy one DLC for MW3 you have to buy them all or you will never find a game... but do they tell you up front that that's how they designed the game, or take the DLC off marketplace?? NOPE!

Which is why I refunded my DLC4 and never bothered buying any of them after that. But until there are more people like me who demand quality (in addition to ethical business practice), they will keep delivering subpar. I have yet to see them listen to any reccomendations other than "please put quickscoping in the nextgame ohpweaseohpwease".