28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 11:41 AM by JobIessMoney RSS

How will X1 use smartglass with Ghosts?

rankismet

Smartglass will be coming to the X1 in big way... but how will we be able to use it?

I'm hoping we'll be able to have the map up at all times... maybe even use it for very precise streak targeting. Or perhaps a friend can assist remotely like we saw in The Division?

How do you hope Ghosts will use it?

• Re: How will X1 use smartglass with Ghosts?
    jasonroloff

Can you give me and anyone else who isn't familiar with it a brief over view? From your post I can assume, but you know what happens when you assume.

rankismet

Sure, bro.

Smartglass is an app which currently is available on iOS and Android. It allows you to access your XBL account and see who is on, read/send text messages, and do some minor interactions with the console when close.

With X1, its is heavily integrated. At E3... we saw people send in strikes (BF4) or control a type of drone (The Division) while the game was in session.

We have seen nothing about how Ghosts will use it...

... and there are so many possibilities.

starbuckfrack

Since I am 5 years behind and only have a Kindle Fire I can only assume since the Fire doesnt accept smartglass.

gallp13

Peripherals like Xbox’s SmarGlass may also become and integral part of Ghosts’ multiplayer experience. Hirsberg said, “you’re going to see us take [the added functionality] to a whole new level. A seamless second screen experience will be integral to next gen.”

Source: Hirshberg

Guesses only;

1. control panel for Riley

2. Mid (MP) game load out selection and customisation

3. Commander syle interface a la B4

Of these item 2 would be fantastic.

If they make it anything for SG for multiplayer, then it could be considered an advantage, and people would complain about it.

rankismet

And their complaints would be salty and sweet.

LOL.  I personally would just go out an buy a Surface Pro or something just to have that second screen option.  Probably not worth the $500 for it but then I would have another non-apple product to gloat about.

trialstardragon

And one reason why they may not do it; so not to upset everyone that does not have a SG capable device. If was told it could do so many extra things but was needed.. many people may not buy the game just because of that fact alone. You forget Ran the average player is not going to have all of that. So if they shifed focus to those that did they may loose the average player market who either does not own, or cannot afford to buy a SG device.

rankismet

Second screen functionality (i.e. Smartglass) is point of emphasis for MS and X!. It will be in the game in some fashion.

trialstardragon

In some fashion yes, probably in SP but doubt in MP at least too much. Otherwise it could be a deciding vote for many to not buy the game because of it if they do not own such devices. I have an iphone so no worries for me. But not everyone that plays games do have smart phones or tablets. Progress for the sake of progress is not always a wise course of action.

rankismet

Disagree... tough toenails if youdon't have a tablet or smartphone.

... but...

... if you're buying a $500 device and you can't afford to have either?

The answer is obvious.

trialstardragon

Just because you spend 500 on a console does not mean you can afford a SG device or want one. Not everyone uses or needs smartphones so would be stupid for them to have to get one just for a game. Not everyone uses tablets so would be stupid for them to get one just for a game so they would not be disadvantaged over those that did.

Just like how players think they should be entitled to an advantage just because they bought a headset when that is not true either.

Force players to have to buy certain things to enjoy the game and the game will get a bad name for it and that can carry and cause dissent from people that were on the fence of buying or not.

rankismet

Yeah... just another example of not understanding things.

If you can afford a $500 console... you have a one.

MS (and PS4) have a second screen as a point of emphasis for their consoles. You're welcome.

trialstardragon

Being able to get a 500$ console does not mean anything. Some people will be having to save up to make sure they can get it when it comes out. So no they would not be able to afford a SG device as well.

So stop trying to indicate that if they can afford the X1 then they can afford a SG device so have no excuse for not having one. So the game should use the SG as much as possible.

Forcing people to get a SG device to have full acess to teh game features is not a good direction, it is making playing games become and eliteist veiw where only those that can afford certaing things should get the best experience of the game.

Might as well force everyone to only be able to use the X1 if they have high speed broadband and own either a 6.1 surround and hdtv or a hdtv and a surround headset..

Not every new bell and whistle is as good as some like to make them sound and look all the time.

You almost sound like the kid that goes into a toy store and wants the latest newes gizmo just because it is there and thinks everyone should have one too because it sounds so awesome to have and use only to get it and realize it is not nearly as good as you thought it would be.

Really only time will answer this question, when the X1 is out and when the game is out for it.

rankismet

Truth be told... I don't frankly care if they can afford it. Life isn't always fair. Some people have more stuff than others. There's a bells and whistles option... and I can use it, so, I wanna use it.

Smartglass is a point of emphasis for X1...

... and I hope it gets used in a fun, unique way in Ghosts MP.

trialstardragon

Just because you wanna use it does not mean they have to give it to you or let you use it. As you said life is not always fair.

Just because it is a point of emphais for X1 does not mean every game at launch will or has to use it in the ways that you think they should or would.

it could end up being nothing more than just a leaderboard page that allows you track your stats better then elite currently does or how to look at current achievements or which friends are on playing and to message them. Or could just allow a quicker loadout selection while playing, not having to hit the start to bring up the options menu. then what? Going to rage if that is all it allows?

It may not have much to do with MP at all. But then again only time can ever really answer those questions.

maccabi

trialstardragon wrote:

Being able to get a 500$ console does not mean anything. Some people will be having to save up to make sure they can get it when it comes out. So no they would not be able to afford a SG device as well.

So stop trying to indicate that if they can afford the X1 then they can afford a SG device so have no excuse for not having one. So the game should use the SG as much as possible.

Forcing people to get a SG device to have full acess to teh game features is not a good direction, it is making playing games become and eliteist veiw where only those that can afford certaing things should get the best experience of the game.

Might as well force everyone to only be able to use the X1 if they have high speed broadband and own either a 6.1 surround and hdtv or a hdtv and a surround headset..

Not every new bell and whistle is as good as some like to make them sound and look all the time.

You almost sound like the kid that goes into a toy store and wants the latest newes gizmo just because it is there and thinks everyone should have one too because it sounds so awesome to have and use only to get it and realize it is not nearly as good as you thought it would be.

Really only time will answer this question, when the X1 is out and when the game is out for it.

smart glass works on nearly every phone and tablet, its not really not really an issue of affording more of being bothered to installing it.

that aside using smart glass in games is a gimmick, cant see the point when i play my hands stay firmly on the controller and me eyes stay on the screen

trialstardragon

Most can isntall it, not all though can. I have a friend who has a smartphone that is not new enough to support it. So not all smartphones can.

Like you I dont really see the need or purpose of it and think it will take away from game play for those that do not have it. So if intergrated too much within the game it could become a point that will give players a reason not to buy the game so they would not be disadvantaged for not using it.

Plus like you the controller is more than enough to play the game for anyone that needs too. No need for a scond device to make playing the game more complex. Or require a second person to help play since if one perosn tried using both, you would have to set controller down to use SG device thus leaving yourself opne to be killed in MP.  In SP I can see it being used to controll the dog; in MP it would be more a liabiliy for many players than a help.

The only logical choice would be for class changes and next match search while doing something else. where you choose a class before staring the match, or have a pre chosen class while it searches for a match while watching tv. So the moment it finds one you go straight to game with your class chosen.

iivrruummii

My phone doesn't support Smart Glass, and I am not buying one any time soon because I will have to pay full price for a phone to keep my fully unlimited plan.

PAC-MAN1096

Call of Duty: Ghosts will most definately utilize SmartGlass in the same manner as the Wii U's GamePad. This means looking at the map and changing your loudout amongsts other options.

elNiass

How I'd really like to have the smartglass integrated:

_to prepare your lobbies:

Imagine receiving lobby invites on your smartglass app while you are in another lobby or in the single player campaign. By tapping on the notification on your smartglass app, the app will show you join the lobby while progressing on you are on your single player campaign on your TV until the multiplayer is ready and about to fire a match. On the other hand imagine preparing lobbies from your smartglass device, and while waiting for people to join and ready up, you can go on with whatever else you were doing on the main screen (TV).

_set up your classes on the fly:

The elite app is not very efficient for that matter because it requires you to upload setups and backout from wherever you were to accept setup. I pray that with smartglass, every modification to your loadout is immediately in effect.

_text chat:

How useful would it be to text chat in lobbies if you dont have a mic. Let's say you are invited to a lobby and you want to quickly post to the lobby's chat pane(something that should be integrated in the game too) to let know of the host and lobby members that you have two more of your buddies coming and so to wait a bit before launching a match? Then to text quickly to the lobby chat board that you guys are ready and the game can be fired up?

We spend more time in lobbies than we think, so why not accomodate it

Optional but not important:

_Smartglass for kill streaks:

Call of duty is a fast paced game. You don't want to drop the controller, unlock your phone/devices to choose how you will do your airstike. It could be advantageous in how to prepare your operation but not worth it because staying still too long puts you to great danger, unlike Battlefield which is a different type of game and much slower pace.

These are just my takes on the smartglass integration. Some might disagree with some or all of them, but I'd like to hear your opinions on it if ever something related to them should be added or if there are adjustments that should be made to some of the ideas. Anyways, I hope Treyarch hears us... which I highly doubt but it's good to dream, isn't it?

JobIessMoney

Personally I hope they don't make it a big thing that will give players any advantages over others. People shouldn't have to buy a second device appart from their console and game just to play the game to it's full potential. A BF4 commander style would be slightly too much for the small maps of CoD. Something simple such as a map opened on the screen would be much better. That being said both of my devices are out of reach of SG (Their versions don't support it) so part of me could be coming from that.