22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2013 10:29 AM by iamyourfather RSS

New Gameplay focus?

Noctis Everto

Ive noticed Black ops 2 has a high focus on Run'n'gun as a major playstyle. How about Ghosts be a focus on stealth? They are already adding new vaulting, and features that shouldve been there like the lean from cover; So why not go all the way and deny huge crazy streaks, and emphasize the tactical use of smaller ones like UAV, VSAT, EMP, CUAV.

Were not at the top anymore, so how WOULD we have access to crazy support like that?

• Re: New Gameplay focus?
    nuttin2say

Have you played previous CODs?

It reminds me of a famous line from a famous movie ... "The truth?! You can't handle the truth!"

trollinthunder

Stealth isn't what makes people love Call Of Duty. They play it for the fast paced action.  Look at the complaints in past games when you have Ghost, Assassin, and Blind Eye.  The options to play stealthy are there, but I don't think it should be a focus in MP.

RunAndGun1

trollinthunder wrote:

Stealth isn't what makes people love Call Of Duty. They play it for the fast paced action.  Look at the complaints in past games when you have Ghost, Assassin, and Blind Eye.  The options to play stealthy are there, but I don't think it should be a focus in MP.

Actually, that's not true. It's the greed and laziness of 3arch that has lead to these ridiculously tiny maps. What happens in BO2 isn't "fast action". It's more "spawn-with-no-time-to-think-before-some-scrub-comes-around-a-corner-and-kills- me". BO2 is crack by any other name.

You may like this crack-high gameplay, but it gets really boring. The great thing about World at War is that the maps were big enough for all player tastes. You could pick from MORE then one engagement. Fast action was always an aspect of COD. But, with a variety of map sizes, the game provided a "variety" of fun games. Not just the insipid and childlike 'shoot, shoot, kill, kill' of BO2. If you played World at War, you would see what I mean.

I guarantee you that thousands of COD players left the series and moved into Battlefield for the very reason of the ever shrinking maps of the past three COD titles. Activision would be doing themselves and us a great service by creating COD titles with a variety of map sizes and gameplay styles. Tiny maps don't give you choices. They give you limitations. And limitations are SO boring and frustrating.

r8edtripx

How many thousands would you guess left COD for BF? I bet it's a hilariously small percentage of the total amount of players.

I started with MW2, so maybe someone had to experience WAW to feel like they're missing out on something, but Black Ops 2 has done a great job in my book. Personally, I like the "childlike 'shoot, shoot, kill, kill'" of Black Ops 2.

Someone suggested that COD have bigger maps, but have it like BF where you can spawn off of a teammate close to the action if you prefer. That would be awesome. I wouldn't be so against bigger maps if that's the case. As long as the maps weren't a hardscopers paradise. I would HATE that.

Bobthrobber

This is not an RPG and stealth does not mean sneaky. When people say stealth what they mean is tactical gameplay, which is allowed by using things like assassin and dead silence, which actually just make it more realistic by disabling unrealistic things like heartbeat sensors and UAV's.

IMO, heartbeat sensors and UAV's should be forbidden in hardcore mode at least, and then they can take assassin out of the game.

Noctis Everto

Since CoD4 its been changing to a more 'fast paced' community

because right around that time it became cool to hate the fast paced 'Halo' series because it wasnt 'Realistic enough' so it seems they sought out to ruin CoD.

CoD4 had all you needed. Juggernaut, Stopping Power, and even then, 2 perks for total invisibility. People had to complain bout not being able to Run solo, and down a jugg, so they whined- gone.

Stopping power was next, because without jugg, why have that as an option?

And now, as of BO2, stealth was crippled by being split into 4 perks, while also being forced to move to avoid detection...(Wait.... a UAV in the sky, and they want you to move faster to avoid detection instead of reamining still....LOL)

Lets Really get back to basics. Make it tight, tactical teamplay. No Pro Perks, No comparison shopping for the millions of attachments.

Ya know, Id be happy if the gear your Character was equipped with sorta gave you your 'perks' Equip a big EOD vest?  take less explosive dmg. and so on

IndyOldGuy

trollinthunder wrote:

Agree with you on stealth not being the main focus, but disagree that people only play for the fast paced action, I certainly do not enjoying not being able to stop and think for a even a split second, or even have time to reload, before the guy I just killed has now respawned close enough to be able to now kill me within 2 seconds....and all you ever see in BO2 is people running, running,  running, 

vims1990

I don't think BO2 or any COD title before that has mainly been focused on rushing and less on stealth, it's a bit of both.

Gameplay shouldn't focus on one playstyle, you would take away a portion of the playerbase if say COD developers decided to focus just on one playstyle.

There should be balance between "rushing" and playing in a stealth-like manner.

SubToXd

Yes i agree. They need to satify all playstyles. Thats a hard accomplishment and the only way to start is with the maps. Really big and really small, and also meduim sized. I agree with the killstreaks though. We dont need 25. Everyone only uses 3. WTF we have 25 for.

iivrruummii

Just get rid of killstreaks.  Have locations on the map that can activate turrents and motion sensors during certain parts of the game that way there is conflict at those points and could be different every time you play on the map.

RunAndGun1

Maps that vary in size so that all playstyles are satisfied. If we are able to spawn near active teammates, that would make it so whatever sized map you're on, your style would be provided for. I don't expect a lot of our ideas will make it into Ghosts, but hopefully in future COD titles.

World At War had tanks. I think it's worthwhile to bring tanks back, since most actual warfare involves tanks at some point. Assign the tanks to the larger maps, and have some large maps without tanks so you still have choices.

The shrinking of the maps was more about saving production costs and increasing the profit margin, IMHO. Which is more honest then the bogus "fast action" tag Vondehaar et al have been throwing around. It's a business. Profit is important, of course. But, the ever shrinking maps is inexcusable. Variety of maps will insure the continued success of COD. I guarantee you thousands of players left COD for Battlefield for that very reason.

As far as dedicated servers go, they WOULD cut down the lag. Some have said that the costs would be too high, YET, at the same time say that COD has more players then Battlefield. If that's true, then the costs of dedis is clearly affordable. If Battlefield truly has a smaller base of players, and EA can afford dedis for their players, then clearly Activision can afford dedis for COD.

If you play Battlefield, as I do, you know the dedis are regional. West coast, east coast, etc. There aren't dedis in every city in the country, because you don't need them everywhere. Whatever solution is used for Ghosts and future COD titles, it's clear that solutions for lessening lag DO exist. They just have to be maintained after they're implemented. It's very clear from my experience on BO2 that Treyarch has completely dropped the ball on lag. Throw in the worst spawning in COD history and you have one crappy game.

nuttin2say

I'll tell you why COD4 remains the most beloved COD to date ...

Because of the maps. It had a lot of variation. I mean, how many people complained about the spawns in Shipment? People these days talk about spawns - hell, in that game you really did spawn in front of each other!

But people did not complain, they loved it, because the next match might be Bloc where snipers ruled the day. From there you might got to Bog where what you really had was two armies facing each other on a mostly open battlefield.

COD4 had the greatest map variation and map rotations of all CODs, bar none.

iivrruummii

I didn't play COD4 much but I do think that they had some better maps than MW3 and BO2.  I still think that MW2 had the best maps overall.  Nothing more fun than playing on a map with so much verticality.

otisman666

nuttin2say wrote:

I'll tell you why COD4 remains the most beloved COD to date ...

Because of the maps. It had a lot of variation. I mean, how many people complained about the spawns in Shipment? People these days talk about spawns - hell, in that game you really did spawn in front of each other!

But people did not complain, they loved it, because the next match might be Bloc where snipers ruled the day. From there you might got to Bog where what you really had was two armies facing each other on a mostly open battlefield.

COD4 had the greatest map variation and map rotations of all CODs, bar none.

Ahh, but those maps were made playable only because of the limited equipment available to the player.  Think about killstreaks and weapon add-ons and how they would impact the different maps.  Extended mags on Shipment would be a GREAT advantage.  The current day killstreaks on bog....now you are just asking for a poop-fest.

For the most part, COD 4's maps all played the same (3 choke point center), but that was ok, because the game didn't have features like the current day games do.

nuttin2say

LMAO, otisman!!!

You are sooooo absolutely correct!!

But I didn't mean to bring those exact maps back (although that is an appealing idea, I do admit). I'd just like to see a map rotation that allows for a different playstyle every match.

And what if they had kill streak availability vary by map?

Whatever the case, it doesn't matter. The maps that will be in Ghosts are already in existence. We just haven't seen them yet.

iamyourfather

Im tired of reading peoples responses of saying they want bigger maps or vehicles that you can drive or less killstreaks; if you want all this crap go play battlefield, this is cod not battlefield, they dont want to copy ideas, cod wants fast paced games, they dont like campers. Basically the people who prefer bigger maps are campers, dont tell me im wrong either. People want vehicles because they want overpowered crap.

RunAndGun1

iamyourfather wrote:

Im tired of reading peoples responses of saying they want bigger maps or vehicles that you can drive or less killstreaks; if you want all this crap go play battlefield, this is cod not battlefield, they dont want to copy ideas, cod wants fast paced games, they dont like campers. Basically the people who prefer bigger maps are campers, dont tell me im wrong either. People want vehicles because they want overpowered crap.

LOLOLOL. You are SO off the mark, DarthVader, it is laughable. Bigger maps existed in COD. Clearly you've never played COD: World At War. And it's OBVIOUS you are also wrong about campers liking bigger maps.

If you actually played bigger maps, you would have noticed that people who camped had to wait forever for someone to stumble into their crosshairs close enough to get shot. Such a claim is proof of your lack of experience in playing large maps.

"People want vehicles because they want overpowered crap." ROFLMAO!!!

Wow. That is hilarious. World At War had tanks. Tanks are real weapons, in case you didn't know. Tanks in W@W were great if you knew how to control them. We don't need Battlefield sized maps to enjoy COD. We simply have to have the variety we had in earlier COD titles, like World At War.

You just want to play COD in a mindless, run-n-gun manner, where all you have to do is spawn and start shooting everywhere. Those of us who've played earler COD titles miss the challenge and excitement that came with larger maps. The beauty of larger maps was that they provided many playstyles that everyone could enjoy. You could be a sniper and attack from a distance. Or you could enter a house to get at the enemy players shooting from the 2nd floor. It was awesome. You're just lazy, iamyourfather. You are the reason COD is decaying into a mindless clusterfrak of stupid gameplay. No intelligence required. Just spawn and shoot. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ....huh?....wha?....is Ghosts out yet?

vims1990

There needs to be a balance of small, medium and large sized maps. Both MW3 & BO2 maps are so damn cluttered and small that it creates spawn issues.

The last COD title that got map size balance right was BO1. After that, it seemed devs wanted to create maps for over the top chaos and forgot that players don't want to die instantly after spawning.

Also with powerful scorestreaks/killstreaks impacting the flow and pacing of the game, players tend to get frustrated and leave matches because there is too many chaos going on.

However after playing WAW, I would like COD to stay away from "vehicular warfare"

That's one of the reasons why I buy both COD and BF. I enjoy COD for it's "gun on gun" action whilst BF sticks to it's destructible environments and vehicular combat.

iamyourfather

There are too many people that play cod for not having tanks and crap, thats why they took it out and havent brought it back in. Trust me i dont mind bigger maps since im an assault rifle person, but there were too many people that would snipe. There would have to be no qs or something in these maps. I prefer medium sized maps, not smaller maps, they would also have to be able to use tacs. Camping doesnt necessarily means camping in your spawn, people camp in the middle of the maps too. Obviously you dont know what rushing is; rushing is nothing like what your saying, what your wishing is all available in hc game modes. This is not a mindless manner because there are so many campers probably like yourself in lmg's so we have to be good enough to either kill you or get you distracted and get to a different part of the map. if they wanted to put tanks as scorestreaks then im fine, and in case you havent noticed they have used agr, and the other ground scorestreak in mw3 to be similar to the tank just not as big. How on earth am i lazy, i dont think someone can be lazy in a game. The only lazy part is when someone asking to have unlimited sprint just so they dont have to keep pressing the analog stick. You can do what you are asking now we can enter buildings and kill people on the second floor now. You can also be a sniper and kill people fro a distance, have you heard of carrier. if this is the first call of duty game that you have ever bought and you need practice shooting real players  then thats fine, get used to kill but sooner or later you need to upgrade your playstyle, and also ffa and tdm is completely different then other objective based game modes.