39 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 4:08 AM by {bhc}max|co RSS

Seems were screwed again#Ghosts:-  No mod tools - p2p - matchmaking - lag comp - All confirmed??

{bhc}max|co

Despite saying "were not talking MP yet" several times,

looks like a 2nd leak is out by mark rubin.

First off he let slip a couple of weeks ago that #ghosts "will NOT be supporting custom client content" = NO MOD TOOLS FOLKS.

Now it seems #Ghosts WILL be P2P matchmaking with "improved" lmao lag componsation...

you can read the article here

http://www.idigitaltimes.co.uk/articles/482731/20130624/call-duty-ghosts-lag-com pensation-being-improved.htm

Well I havent "pre-ordered" and i will NOT be buying #ghosts under these conditions

• Re: Seems were screwed again#Ghosts:-  No mod tools - p2p - matchmaking - lag comp - All confirmed
    radical_53

Where did you get the p2p part from?

It had already been confirmed that XBox one multiplayer was supposed to be on dedicated servers (for the console and all its games).

Lag compensation has to be in the game. It has been part of the game for several years now.

The "only" (quite dramatic) issues were

- the large difference in ping due to relatively small player base

- the "rewind time" mechanics they introduced

This, in combination with lots of people that have a bad connection and/or don't care, the game became what it is now.

Even with perfectly setup dedicated servers you'd need lag compensation in place. You don't need it if everyone has a ping below 50 -but- how many games would you be able to find then?

• Re: Seems were screwed again#Ghosts:-  No mod tools - p2p - matchmaking - lag comp - All confirmed
      {bhc}max|co

radical_53 wrote:

Where did you get the p2p part

its the part where he says "synced to the best host" = player hosted server= p2p connection, just like mw2 and mw3, total crap , your at the mercy of the host..

read my other thead, where an ex iw dev, now with respawn, explains why p2p doesnt work on pc mp.

yes we know lag comp is in every cod, but it fails to work when its combined with matchmaking and p2p servers, it works perfectly fine with independent dedicated server, and would work fine on cloud servers, as long as there is a browser for players to select a low ping server.. it doesnt work on bo2 properly because most players have their ping preference set too high, therebye when matchmaking throws players from all over the place to a server, lag comp struggles to find the correct balance , some players gain out of it , others dont.. ( bullets around the corner??)

And, more people wouldve bought bo2 on pc ,had there been proper servers with server search, the fact only 10,000 players are online worldwide, only compounds the problem with matchmaking and lag comp. add 100,000 pc players then the issue would probably go away.

Starbuck_OS

- the "rewind time" mechanics they introduced

Exactly this, I hear people complaining about lag compensation, when its the wrong thing to complain about, its actually a very good thing, Rewind Time however is the shtt that breaks the game, I really do hope they improve the matchmaking and remove Rewind Time and we just go back to MW1/MW2 netcode + dedicated servers.

Sadly I think it will be my last COD if they don't remove this retared Rewind Time netcode, too many CODs have been shitty now.

maccabi

{bhc}max|co wrote:

Despite saying "were not talking MP yet" several times,

looks like a 2nd leak is out by mark rubin.

First off he let slip a couple of weeks ago that #ghosts "will NOT be supporting custom client content" = NO MOD TOOLS FOLKS.

Now it seems #Ghosts WILL be P2P matchmaking with "improved" lmao lag componsation...

you can read the article here

http://www.idigitaltimes.co.uk/articles/482731/20130624/call-duty-ghosts-lag-com pensation-being-improved.htm

Well I havent "pre-ordered" and i will NOT be buying #ghosts under these conditions

you know this is a VERY good example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet on some nobody website.

that article is basically wrong and have just taken a load of what drift0r said in his video (much of which btw was speculation) as fact.

and that aside the convo about matchmaking was on consoles NO mention was made of pc

{bhc}max|co

This is the way iw have worked in the past, small leaks in obscure places, it covers their asses if ever called to court about misleading.. i'm willing to bet that

1) there will be NO MOD TOOLS

2) NO DEDICATED CLAN RUN SERVERS

3) NO clan or e-sports/competition support on pc. ( yes xbox will continue to have elite comps etc etc)

4) continued matchmaking/lag comp hell, either self hosted p2p or "cloud/dedicated servers?" like bo2

5) NO server browser.

6) NO ANTI CHEAT ( continued peer reporting that will take a dogs age to implement bans, if ever)

and probably a host of other annoying things that killed mw2 and mw3 as pc mp games pretty quickly.

So how can iw resolve the issues of the past? what exactly are they going to do?

answer? nothing..

maccabi

{bhc}max|co wrote:

This is the way iw have worked in the past, small leaks in obscure places, it covers their asses if ever called to court about misleading..

It wasn't a small leak, Mark and Drift0r were just chatting about stuff in general I know EXACTLY what was discussed as I was standing between both of them at the time.

{bhc}max|co wrote:

1) there will be NO MOD TOOLS

2) NO DEDICATED CLAN RUN SERVERS

3) NO clan or e-sports/competition support on pc. ( yes xbox will continue to have elite comps etc etc)

4) continued matchmaking/lag comp hell, either self hosted p2p or "cloud/dedicated servers?" like bo2

5) NO server browser.

6) NO ANTI CHEAT ( continued peer reporting that will take a dogs age to implement bans, if ever)

and probably a host of other annoying things that killed mw2 and mw3 as pc mp games pretty quickly.

So how can iw resolve the issues of the past? what exactly are they going to do?

answer? nothing..

All the above is pure speculation on your part nothing more.Instead of making the sky is falling assumptions why not wait till stuff is actually officall announced.

{bhc}max|co

maccabi wrote:

{bhc}max|co wrote:

This is the way iw have worked in the past, small leaks in obscure places, it covers their asses if ever called to court about misleading..

It wasn't a small leak, Mark and Drift0r were just chatting about stuff in general I know EXACTLY what was discussed as I was standing between both of them at the time.

All the above is pure speculation on your part nothing more.Instead of making the sky is falling assumptions why not wait till stuff is actually officall announced.

Okaydoakythen,

I dont doubt you were standing between mr rubin and driftor when they spoke about ghosts..

but the fact mark rubin discussed matchmaking/p2p/fixing lag comp, is a leak.. if it was a private convo, then drifter has leaked the info, if it wasnt private, then mr rubin leaked the info.. either way its leaked .. maybe not too important in the grand scheme of things, but if its true then it has massive implications on how mp (especially pc mp ) will work... coz whatever method is gonna be used on xbox, will probably be the method ported to pc (just like mw2 and mw3 were)

what is posted above is exactly what was wrong on mw2, and nothing changed going into mw3, what us pc gamers need is a change,  will be interesting to see what happens, but i suspect nothing will change, maybe mr rubin can come clarify this up, ive posted links to the orig site and vid and this post to him.on twitter.. .

we need to know if ghosts is gonna be a proper cod game on pc, or just another piece of crap..

maccabi

{bhc}max|co wrote:

maccabi wrote:

{bhc}max|co wrote:

Okaydoakythen,

I dont doubt you were standing between mr rubin and driftor when they spoke about ghosts..

but the fact mark rubin discussed matchmaking/p2p/fixing lag comp, is a leak.. if it was a private convo, then drifter has leaked the info, if it wasnt private, then mr rubin leaked the info.. either way its leaked .. maybe not too important in the grand scheme of things, but if its true then it has massive implications on how mp (especially pc mp ) will work... coz whatever method is gonna be used on xbox, will probably be the method ported to pc (just like mw2 and mw3 were)

Actually i would disagree here its not really a leak, it would be no different to someone tweeting him and saying x is an issue him replying yes we know and are trying to find solutions for x we're testing this method to see if its better,.

the conversation was just a general one about matchmaking on consoles and a few other issues that said platform suffers, mark didnt go into any details apart from mention a few ideas they were working on to address them thats it. Drift0r made a video when he got back and added a few thoughts of his own which people have read far too much into imo.

and again as you seem to be missing this bit it was a discussion about CONSOLES,

anything you add to that afterwards is pure speculation on your part

{bhc}max|co wrote:

what is posted above is exactly what was wrong on mw2, and nothing changed going into mw3, what us pc gamers need is a change,  will be interesting to see what happens, but i suspect nothing will change, maybe mr rubin can come clarify this up, ive posted links to the orig site and vid and this post to him.on twitter.. .

we need to know if ghosts is gonna be a proper cod game on pc, or just another piece of crap..

You know the best way of communicating with the devs isnt to ***** or complain or assume stuff and rage  , offer feedback they can use or just ask a direct question that could easily be answered in 140 chars. Or start a forum thread asking directly.. the devs do read the forums and im sure IF and WHEN they are ready to open the discussions up about mp on ALL platforms they will answer via one avenue or another

{bhc}max|co

Isnt what this has become? a debate on information put out there by someone who spoke to a dev about cod ghosts? my assumtions are based on one of that party's version of events..and  on that , and on previous cod releases' information..

well if going by past events we will know everything about xbox mp well before any info on pc platform is divulged.. from now till then everything is speculation based on prior experiences..

As for twitter, i know full well how they use twitter as a means of comms.

Once a game has been released,they become more active when dlc's are about to be released.

As for forums , well lets not go there, i have 3x years of posting on these forums... me and many others, on how their pc version NEVER works properly as intended, due to its shortfalls..

otisman666

{bhc}max|co wrote:

As for forums , well lets not go there, i have 3x years of posting on these forums... me and many others, on how their pc version NEVER works properly as intended, due to its shortfalls..

I agree with you, I don't share Macc's view of the developer's viewing forums, I think they rarely read anything on these things.  They might open one or two threads, but that is about it.

As far as the PC version working as intended....as who intended?  I think it is working exactly as the developer's intend, just because a portion of the player base is not psyched about it, doesn't make this any different.  Hey, I appreciate the PC group's issues and support you guys, PC gets the short end of the stick here and I don't know why a majority of you continue to support a title like this when you have so much more offered to you out there.

OT:  I didn't see anything that indicated that Dedi's were off the table, they just talked about GENERAL MATCHMAKING and some lag issues.  I think this would apply if consoles / PCs had Dedi's or the current versions for hosting.  I'm probably wrong though.

{bhc}max|co

otisman666 wrote:

{bhc}max|co wrote:

I agree with you, I don't share Macc's view of the developer's viewing forums, I think they rarely read anything on these things.  They might open one or two threads, but that is about it.

As far as the PC version working as intended....as who intended?  I think it is working exactly as the developer's intend,

By intended what i meant was, since cod4 iw have removed clan run ranked dedicated servers, (or any other kind of dedi server) , their main reason was to secure against hacking... if that was their intention? then it didnt work as intended, neither did mw3.. so there is NO REASON  not to return to either a cloud iw run dedi server system, or clan run public servers, even a combo of both would be better than what they did before..

• Re: Seems were screwed again#Ghosts:-  No mod tools - p2p - matchmaking - lag comp - All confirmed??
    wierd worlds are these

I got to admit every bit of news I hear about this game is making it more of a option not to buy it, than to actually buy it instead of just downloading it to play the campaign.

I am getting sick and tired of developers who know, what makes a game a success on the PC, removing the features and telling us a load of rubbish to justify there laziness and complete disregard for PC gamers satisfaction.

This is why COD 4 and COD 5 have more players still today, playing the game than any of the COD games that came after it.

This is also why there are more people playing the AlterIWnet versions of MW2/3 than there are playing the official game.

I remember installing the AlterIWnet for MW2 and seeing nearly 50,000 players or there abouts 1 day, and then I went on to the official game and it had less than 2000 players.

Black Op's 2 has got one of the lowest player counts I have ever seen on a Call Of Duty game, and that number is getting smaller and smaller every month because people are actually finding other games to play that do not have, the same stupid issues that Black Op's 2 has and has had since it was released, but the developers are not doing anything to fix it even though they know exactly what to do to fix the game and get more people to actually buy the game and play it.

It's the same with Ghosts, if this game releases without Rentable Ranked Dedicated Servers then this game will be a failure on the PC guarenteed because, people will just not play on crappy servers again.

If I am not able to rent a server and be able to kick people who are either cheating, or being racist etc then I won't be buying the game and I WILL just pirate it instead for the single player campaign because Infinity Ward will not deserve the money for it, considering that they will have to develop a game for the Xbox One with no dedicated servers and no server browser even though, they don't have to worry about hosting those servers considering Microsoft will be doing that, and then for the PS4 and PC all they have to do is not limit it to one GSP, but we are all fairly confident that the game is not going to use dedicated because that will mean that IW will have to admit that, there stupid IWnet system does not work.

Either way Battlefield 4 is looking like the game to buy if you want a decent gaming experience on the pc this year, and then next year it will be Titanfall.

• Re: Seems were screwed again#Ghosts:-  No mod tools - p2p - matchmaking - lag comp - All confirmed??
      maccabi

wierd worlds are these wrote:

I got to admit every bit of news I hear about this game is making it more of a option not to buy it, than to actually buy it instead of just downloading it to play the campaign.

Yet nothing has been announced...

{bhc}max|co

I am getting sick and tired of developers who know, what makes a game a success on the PC, removing the features and telling us a load of rubbish to justify there laziness and complete disregard for PC gamers satisfaction.

This is why COD 4 and COD 5 have more players still today, playing the game than any of the COD games that came after it.

This is also why there are more people playing the AlterIWnet versions of MW2/3 than there are playing the official game.

I remember installing the AlterIWnet for MW2 and seeing nearly 50,000 players or there abouts 1 day, and then I went on to the official game and it had less than 2000 players.

Black Op's 2 has got one of the lowest player counts I have ever seen on a Call Of Duty game, and that number is getting smaller and smaller every month because people are actually finding other games to play that do not have, the same stupid issues that Black Op's 2 has and has had since it was released, but the developers are not doing anything to fix it even though they know exactly what to do to fix the game and get more people to actually buy the game and play it.

It's the same with Ghosts, if this game releases without Rentable Ranked Dedicated Servers then this game will be a failure on the PC guarenteed because, people will just not play on crappy servers again.

If I am not able to rent a server and be able to kick people who are either cheating, or being racist etc then I won't be buying the game and I WILL just pirate it instead for the single player campaign because Infinity Ward will not deserve the money for it, considering that they will have to develop a game for the Xbox One with no dedicated servers and no server browser even though, they don't have to worry about hosting those servers considering Microsoft will be doing that, and then for the PS4 and PC all they have to do is not limit it to one GSP, but we are all fairly confident that the game is not going to use dedicated because that will mean that IW will have to admit that, there stupid IWnet system does not work.

Either way Battlefield 4 is looking like the game to buy if you want a decent gaming experience on the pc this year, and then next year it will be Titanfall.

Even one of the devs( now with respawn), who workd at iw, making cod4 and mw2 admits that p2p matchmaking DOES NOT WORK ON PC..  this was a mistake they made on mw2, yet they ( iw) did the same on mw3???

So no wonder were worried... they know where they went wrong on their LAST two cods, yet still say "mp details are not locked down yet", i mean wtf? what we WANT to hear is.."ok, we messed up on last two, but here is what were going to do to fix it".. its that simple

btw

here is a link to the thread where jon shirling  talks about p2p and dedi servers..

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414552820#414552820

I'm with you m8, no proper clan run servers?, then no sale..

maccabi

{bhc}max|co wrote:

Even one of the devs( now with respawn), who workd at iw, making cod4 and mw2 admits that p2p matchmaking DOES NOT WORK ON PC..  this was a mistake they made on mw2, yet they ( iw) did the same on mw3???

So no wonder were worried... they know where they went wrong on their LAST two cods, yet still say "mp details are not locked down yet", i mean wtf? what we WANT to hear is.."ok, we messed up on last two, but here is what were going to do to fix it".. its that simple

btw

here is a link to the thread where jon shirling  talks about p2p and dedi servers..

Why do you keep making stuff up ?

Same as before the blog post you linked to is entitled " Let's talk about the Xbox Live cloud"  and he mentions PC's ONCE -  "Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.".

Nowhere in that blog does he mention anything you claim he did.

{bhc}max|co

maccabi wrote:

Same as before the blog post you linked to is entitled " Let's talk about the Xbox Live cloud"  and he mentions PC's ONCE -  "Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

EASY to understand, is it not? , logic dictates that if a dev who helped make mw2 and cod4 thinks that p2p hosted servers is a bad idea for xbox (with its 400,000 players)? then it follows, that its an entirly stupid idea on PC ( 6,000 or less online)?, yet weve had to suffer this system since mw2 from iw.

maccabi

{bhc}max|co wrote:

maccabi wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - --

EASY to understand, is it not? , logic dictates that if a dev who helped make mw2 and cod4 thinks that p2p hosted servers is a bad idea for xbox (with its 400,000 players)? then it follows, that its an entirly stupid idea on PC ( 6,000 or less online)?, yet weve had to suffer this system since mw2 from iw.

Easy to understand that post e3 everyone's smiles and hugs towards each other have gone flying out the window and the gloves have come off,

and lo and behold what potentially is the biggest competitor to CoD this year , a dev from is suddenly out of the blue making blogs that's basically slating CoDs system.

If listen servers are such a bad idea how comes when said devs were making cod they didnt have dedis and remember back then there was a much smaller player base which made dedis more financially viable??? 

Stormproot

maccabi wrote:

If listen servers are such a bad idea how comes when said devs were making cod they didnt have dedis and remember back then there was a much smaller player base which made dedis more financially viable??? 

P2P and listen servers work really well on a local area network, player hosted matches on a LAN do not give the host much of a lag advantage because of the very low latency. Scaling up to internet, player hosting adds quite a large number of switching devices between all players (switches, routers and so on) and increases the latency and lag and limits the game to the host's upload bandwidth. I don;t know exactly what the bandwidth requirements are for each player in a game, but multiply that bandwidth by 16, including voice and I'm sure it would soon start to eat up the hosts connection capacity. For example, I am on ADSL 1, my maximum upload is 0.4 Mb/s, I doubt that is enough to host a 16 player CoD game. I know the game can migrate to a new host when there are such problems, but it is so annoying.

Player hosting has also been a cheatfest for the idiots who think it's cool and clever to use cheats.

Dedi server architecture is different, usually much more bandwidth available (usually on or close to the internet backbone), and usually well managed by game hosting companies to ensure consistent connectivity. If you have a server list to choose from, you can find ones with low ping and the game modes you want to play - it works, and works well - CoD4 has proven this, and is still very popular. There are probably more people playing CoD4, than playing MW2/MW3 combined - because of the multiplayer architecture. Also, dedi servers make it somewhat easier to find and ban cheaters, as well as abusive morons that make gaming a much less pleasant experience for others. We want to play fair, and we want to have fun.

Let us hope that the light of reason shines on Ghosts and we see the return of proper servers, both 'Official' servers for match-making, and rentable ranked servers (though locked down somewhat - like BF3) for clans.

RunAndGun1

Pirating a game is stealing no matter how you slice it. Just because you may not like what IW is doing with Ghosts doesn't give you the right to steal it. Saying you're only going to play the single player campaign of your pirated copy doesn't make your actions any more justifiable.

If IW has a brain in their collective head, they will do everything they can to make the MP experience an improvement over Black Ops 2. To not make an attempt will surely kill off the COD series completely, making Ghosts the final nail in the coffin.

Vondehaar and Treyarch have proven what complete ******** they are by doing nothing about Lag Comp in BO2. Not to mention the ridiculous spawning and crappy hit detection. According to YouTuber, Drift0r, lag compensation can be adjusted. If this is true, then why isn't Treyarch doing anything about it?

Another important point concerns all the Treyarch lapdogs that have been trolling the forums and YouTube, insisting that BO2 is the best COD ever. Seeing all the reports coming out about the horrendous lag compensation issue, and how IW is working specifically on improving lag comp for Ghosts, proves how these tryhards and scrubs are lying and being dishonest about the quality of BO2. BO2 is crap. It's the worst FPS game I've ever played. And I hate the singleplayer campaign. It reminds of a bad role playing game. At least Ghosts sp campaign looks much more promising.

{bhc}max|co

If IW has a brain in their collective head, they will do everything they can to make the MP experience an improvement over Black Ops 2. To not make an attempt will surely kill off the COD series completely, making Ghosts the final nail in the coffin.

Vondehaar and Treyarch have proven what complete ******** they are by doing nothing about Lag Comp in BO2. Not to mention the ridiculous spawning and crappy hit detection. According to YouTuber, Drift0r, lag compensation can be adjusted. If this is true, then why isn't Treyarch doing anything about it?

Another important point concerns all the Treyarch lapdogs that have been trolling the forums and YouTube, insisting that BO2 is the best COD ever. Seeing all the reports coming out about the horrendous lag compensation issue, and how IW is working specifically on improving lag comp for Ghosts, proves how these tryhards and scrubs are lying and being dishonest about the quality of BO2. BO2 is crap. It's the worst FPS game I've ever played. And I hate the singleplayer campaign. It reminds of a bad role playing game. At least Ghosts sp campaign looks much more promising.

Now i'd be first to shout out , what i hate about recent cods,

but in defense of treyarch, i found bo1 to be quickly fixed, then became quite playable, and ive found bo2 to be one of the best cods , so much so i'm approaching prestige master, something ive never done in any other cod...

The worse aspects of bo2 are no clan support on pc, no stats, nowhere for clans to grow..

thats why ranked rentable clan servers are a MUST in ghosts.

RunAndGun1

{bhc}max|co wrote:

Now i'd be first to shout out , what i hate about recent cods,

but in defense of treyarch, i found bo1 to be quickly fixed, then became quite playable, and ive found bo2 to be one of the best cods , so much so i'm approaching prestige master, something ive never done in any other cod...

The worse aspects of bo2 are no clan support on pc, no stats, nowhere for clans to grow..

thats why ranked rentable clan servers are a MUST in ghosts.

Sorry, but the maps in BO2 are so damn tiny that it in no way resembles the classier versions of COD like World at War and COD:MW. COD Ghosts needs a wider variety of map sizes for all player types.

There definitely should be dedicated servers. There will always be lag, just as Battlefield has it, but with dedis the lag is more evenly spread amongst players. Where as console hosted matches only offer inconsistent gameplay between players.

KillerClown67

Yep we need bigger maps like in the old cod games, i like to snipe and i don't like this quickscope crap, people thinking they are the best sniper in the world because they can quickscope, im not saying it does not take skill to do it but its not sniping is it lets be honest.

All the latest cods just seem to much of just run and gun even s&d now,  no real skill just of a case of who is fastest on the triger or who see who first, and yer we need really server list with pb at least when you find a good server with a good clan you know cheater will be kicked there and then, and all the people that like to abuse other player, you know the ones that think calling you a N****r is clever.

whatabeer

Lets hope for no mods nor dedicated servers match making only!