9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 8:25 PM by stonculd RSS

BREAKING NEWS FOR XBOX ONE!!!

FAded_DrEamz

This just released... XBOX one will no longer require a 24 hour connection to the internet and there are no restrictions on borrowed or used games!!!!!! Xbox win?

• Re: BREAKING NEWS FOR XBOX ONE!!!
    ab36

Xbox still costs $100 more, forces Kinect (yes I've heard it can be turned off but whether that's really what's going on remains to be seen), and it's "weaker" than the PS4, but I know that it's not always about specs (the 360 was my favorite of this generation even though it was notably weaker than the PS3). So no, Xbox isn't "winning", but it's at least pulled itself back into the conversation of being a viable console for people. The internet requirement was among the biggest issues I had with it, so that's nice that they changed it, but I'm still going with the PS4 (hopefully). They've done so many things wrong leading up to this reversal that it's hardly sufficient. Also makes you wonder how dedicated they were to their policies if they could just drop them so late before launch.

My only issue was the whole Check in bs, What if i went on say VACATION. I would need someone to stop by my house and feed my dog and Oh yeah sign into my xbox account? because they feared people exploiting the system? C'mon if a hacker wants to get around it he/she WILL find a way. they modded Xbox's 360's and ps's from the dawn of time! Its only a matter of time before someone mods a X1 and figures a way to burn the disc and play it.

Dr_QuiCKScOP3r

They just eliminated that. The games will now function just like how it does right now. We can now also sell our games the way we can on the 360. They made a lot of changes but also took some things away as well.

I'm still thinking of jumping ship to PS4. SONY seems to be the lesser evil.

Foxhound-Pro

BAREWarrior wrote:

My only issue was the whole Check in bs, What if i went on say VACATION. I would need someone to stop by my house and feed my dog and Oh yeah sign into my xbox account? because they feared people exploiting the system? C'mon if a hacker wants to get around it he/she WILL find a way. they modded Xbox's 360's and ps's from the dawn of time! Its only a matter of time before someone mods a X1 and figures a way to burn the disc and play it.

Your example is bad and you should feel bad.

I really, really hope that you did not believe that this is how it all worked. If so then I encourage you to do more research. In the future it'll save you more face.

Nubdub

Still does not solve the problem of the ever present Kinnect and backwards compatibility with xbox 360 games. Plus it's 100 dollars more for a less powerful processor and slower ram. DRM was the least of my worries.

stonculd

Well something not mentioned much is they changed the proprietary plug on the controller to another type of proprietary plug, so if you use a headset your 360 headset won't work with the one. Same goes for the play and charge kits. Seems to me Microsoft is really sticking it to their customers no matter how you slice it. Another thing I am waiting to hear about are the hdd's and wether or not they will be locked up by custom firmware so you have to buy a Microsoft branded hdd.

Foxhound-Pro

stonculd wrote:

Well something not mentioned much is they changed the proprietary plug on the controller to another type of proprietary plug, so if you use a headset your 360 headset won't work with the one. Same goes for the play and charge kits. Seems to me Microsoft is really sticking it to their customers no matter how you slice it. Another thing I am waiting to hear about are the hdd's and wether or not they will be locked up by custom firmware so you have to buy a Microsoft branded hdd.

My issue with those points.

Headphone Jacks: The Xbox 360 chat cables were not proprietary. They were a standard 2.5mm jack. We now do have proprietary chat port it seems, but I rather have that and better auto quality. Get a USB mic for the computer, chat with your friends and tell me the awesomeness that is chat there. It's night and day. If Xbox delivers us the promised "digital wideband audio," then I'll gladly take proprietary and upgrade.

Play and Charge Kits: I can see the pain there, but we've moved from proprietary to mini-USB. We've shifted to a standard. This should be a really, really good thing. From my experience the cable would fail the most. So...yay!

I think the HDD is locked down. I don't want it to be either, I want a damn SSD in my Xbox. I'll even buy a MSFT one if I had to. - That said, I don't think they're undercutting much. We could definitely move to more standards, but this is a new platform and a new experience. I don't take issue with having to make more serious purchases. I also planned for this. I was very, very careful with purchases for the last few years.

stonculd

The 2.5 mm jack is a very seldom used form factor, except in antiquated cell phones. So ok not proprietary, but close enough so that anyone who looks at the situation knows Microsoft did this on purpose to get people to buy specialized headsets. Why else wouldn't they use a more common form factor? They are obviously modeling themselves after Apple in regards to locking down hardware that is Microsoft branded. It's all about peripherals and how many they can sell after the main unit is purchased, that's why the hdd in a 360 had to be Microsoft branded, unless you are handy with DOS and know how to flash firmware. I really liked all the 360's I owned, love the controller, but I am definitely calling bulldoo on them this time around. I have never had a clarity, or fidelity issue with the current setup, and don't see much of a reason for the proprietary plug on the new controller except to milk people out of their money. They could have added an extra ring to the 2.5mm setup to accomplish what they are doing.