34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2013 7:54 PM by Yppecaye_the_Dogged RSS

What makes a good COD player

Ktbffh

this is a straight up question title says all some people say kd some people say SPM but i need more opinions.

• Re: What makes a good COD player
    JanThaMan

At first I thought a good K/D determines a good player, then I thought it was the W/L ration, then I thought it was the SPM. But in my opinion, none of those matter. To me, a great CoD player is a player who has good aim, good strategy, good knowledge about the gamemodes, the spawn, the maps, and last but not the least, a great team player.

BryanNnned

KD and SPM gives you rough estimation.

League - A good player, knows when to play defensive and knows when to rush.

Public - A good player should be able to connect their streaks (multiple swarm in one life) & get nuclears.

win/lost ratio doesn't mean anything IMO. people who have 5win/lose ratio or higher = always play in a party.

i have a friend who has 250win/lose ratio. after he did a fresh start. he always play 4-6 man party. and then people started dashboarding his game thats how his w/l ratio dropped.

i personally have a 0.5 w/l ratio, but that doesn't mean i dont play the objective (i mainly play domination, or GW domination). i play solo 80% of the time. they put me in a lobby that almost finished, and i'll leave if they put me in 'aftermath' and 'turbine' map.

i do play the objective. triple capped the enemy when they have 8 points

Lawman911

Anyone who keeps playing this game no matter how many issues that pop up.

Izjar11

Ktbffh wrote:

this is a straight up question title says all some people say kd some people say SPM but i need more opinions.

I have to interject as to why does it matter?

If you are a decent, good, great player than you know where you fall. Higher scores are misleading, dont fall for it unless you consistently play with someone and you know they are in fact good.

phxs72

Stunning hair of course.  But seriously JanThaMan has it pretty right.  Anybody can look great for a match or two but the truely good players are the guys that can go up against argueably better players statwise and still pull out the win.  Flash makes for entertaining videos but the truely great players often have unasuming stats because their focus is on winning and not worrying about their kd (outside of TDM of course), SPM or whatever else.  These are the guys that will run headlong into a bad situation to knock the top player on the other team off of his streak even though they know that they will get taken down by his teamates.  They are also the guys that will see the grenade indicator on their screen but stay on the flag to get the cap knowing that they won't have time to clear the blast afterwards.  Some of these guys are killing machines and some of them aren't but regardless they know how to win even if their stats don't always show it.

Im_not_BukLau

When I think of good players I don't even bother taking stats into consideration. I consider a couple of things

• can perform competently with any weapon
    • knows when to play defensively or aggressively
    • can win gunfights on a regular basis
    sennalike

The only real way to tell if another player is good or not is play with them, and do it regularly.  Even then you will have to take account of the fact they are using a different connection and may be lagging badly.  I don't dispute there are good and not so good players, but trying to work out who they are based on any statistical measure in game is massively flawed.  There are way too many cheats, boosts, and connection issues.

All too often I can see myself at the bottom of the pre-match lobby leaderboard and finish in the top three after the match.  I have seen players with great KDR/WLR go hugely negative and lose.  I have seen players with low SPM, KDR, and WLR go and annihilate everyone.  The game is way to inconsistent to place any faith in the stats.  You should also remember there are plenty out there who share their accounts, so you may not be playing the main user!  The only thing you can take any face value on is your own stats, you now how you got them.

ghamorra

This get's asked a lot and the only answer the community ever agrees on is this: A great player is someone who learns from their mistakes and makes the game more enjoyable for those who play with him. You don't have to have good stats or always win the objective. You just have to consistently adapt to the game around you

TRU11

Good player:

* plays objective hard

* has a positive K/D

* can hold his own when playing solo

* can use any weapon and any perk

*can adjust to whats going on in a match

*understands the game mechanics

* doesent dashboard

probaly some more stuff but there isent a single stat for this.

mdm123456789

Things you forgot:

*Doesn't talk $hit.(all the time)

*Can take a lose just as well as a win.

*Doesn't run in here demanding a weapon or equipment to be nerfed or removed.

*Plays to have fun.

*Doesn't run in here demanding a weapon or equipment to be nerfed or removed

*Doesn't scream, "camper" when killed one on one out in the open,

*Doesn't run in here demanding a weapon or equipment to be nerfed or removed

.......... Am I forgetting anything else?

Oh yah, doesn't come running in here demanding a weapon or equipment to be nerfed or removed.

If you combine TRU11's list and the list I provided, you will be an awesome player no matter what.

PainofJustice

i consistently do good so i made a simple tryout for my clan beat me on the public match scoreboard twice and your in

InstantOG

For me:

Stats ( 1st impression )

How they play in-game

How they play under pressure

Consistency

JI_AfroThunder

If you can hold your own and do well consistently while playing solo I would say your a good player

rlbl

1 - You have to think that being good at a game matters in life

2 - You have to have good stats all around (deserving or not)

3 - You have to think that being good at a game matters in life

4 - You have to hope you end up with a good connection to the host, or nothing matters at all    

5 - You have to think that being good at a game matters in life

I am not trying to be funny.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

...truely great players often have unasuming stats because their focus is on winning and not worrying about their kd (outside of TDM of course), SPM or whatever else. 

I think stats (esp, in TDM), if they're honestly earned, do tell how good a player is.  KD/SPM/WL are the primary indicators people talk about.  But for those categories to mean anything, they have to be supporetd by experience.  In TDM for example, a 2.5KD/300SPM/2WL doesn't say much if you only have 2000 kills in a new or stat reset account, or you got them by only running in parties, always leaving competitive lobbies, or worst quitting mid game.

That being said, if a guy has 30,000 kills with those stats, I'll be starting the game with more vigilance.

I agree with most of tru's and mdm's list.  But, again, in terms of assessing a new lobby when you're going solo, stats are all you got.  And if a player has the qualities you and others have listed, it would be reflected in good stats, including most importantly experience represented by the number of kills.  On the other hand, if your stats are mediocre, chances are you don't or only have some of the listed qualities.

rlbl

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

That being said, if a guy has 30,000 kills with those stats, I'll be starting the game with more vigilance.

* slow clap *

I was not going to bother with this thread anymore, but I loved your response.  It adds to my previous comment on how people care so much about their stats that they reset their accounts to improve their stats so they could show people how good they are.

The question I always ask people is: "Who are you trying to show, and who are you trying to kid?"

DeadMilkman666
    1. A good player is an Objective player.
    2. One who can win gun fights.
    3. Winning percentage matters more than K/D.
    4. A good listener is a plus.

There are no good COD Players it's just Luck and Camping mixed together and also bullshit deaths and kill I've experienced both. There are even times I question my own kills.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

The question I always ask people is: "Who are you trying to show, and who are you trying to kid?"

I get great pleasure knocking down these kids' KDR by a few hundreds decimal points each game (if they haven't already quit.)  My small contibution to the campaign v. dashboarding.

ANmaGiiC

A great Call of Duty player in my mind is like a sport. You have to be good mentaly as much as physicaly. What i mean by this is someone that doesnt give up easy. Someone that has great knowledge about cod. When stats come into play, it only matters very little. If there was someone with say a kd of .40, win loss of .79, and a spm of say 150... compared to a kd of 2.5, win loss of 4.5, and a spm of say 500, you could see who the "better" player is. But the stats are not a big deal. A great call of duty player will never break mentally. A great Call of Duty player would not be boring to. If you "Camp" to get your kd high.... i have bad news for you... if you can run around the maps and manage good stats, you are also a great player.

eRr0R_6_

ill have to disagree. camping does take as much skill as a run and gunner ( at least a good one) all a camper is , is a counter to a R&G play style

prob with R&G is you can become a victim to lag alot more than  a camper would.. there is more fame per sec changes when your running around than a camper..

and anyway if you ever do well in a game you are automaticlly a camper lol

Epsilon92

A good player is one who knows the maps, knows the strengths and weaknesses of the weapon they are using. Can move around the map. I've seen people with bad KDR's and SPM's that consistently do better then people who have high KDR's and SPM's.

I also think that people who enjoy the game and contribute to the community are good cod players. Streaks don't really matter as long as you contribute to the teams overall win.

Of course  i get mad at other players who only think that KDR matters and then quit when their KDR's are negative.

ashbashbluesfanPSN

Stats matter to a point, for example i have a 3ish k/d 240 SPM, I have mostly played TDM/CTF/DOM tdm and ctf are hard to have a high score per min, in dom i cap 2 objectives and then keep map control, mostly played solo too until the last few months.

If I had played in a full party in something like hardpoint then i might have a huge score per minute and higher k/d.

I played a recent tdm with 2 friends, 1 was good and 1 sucked. i was against a guy with a 17 win/loss, 4.5 k/d ratio and his 5 clan mates, he was on his second+ account and obviously was always in a party. they all had mics, we had are mics off. I lost that game by 2 kills, I was top of the board and annihalated this clan single handedly, high kills and high k/d, my good friend also went positive, the other 4 noobs went heavily negative.

so who really is the better player? the 1 with higher stats always playing with 5 team mates all with mics, or the 1 that beat those players time and time again playing without a mic, and only just lost due to 4 terrible team mates.

1 thing to take into account is with score per minute, a guy running in going 20-20 in tdm will have a high score per minute, bu the guy that goes 10-1 is of a far higher benefit to his team, the same with objectives, a guy that just dives on and gets killed time and time again until he gets lucky with the cap is not really a good player, but a guy that clears enemies then caps is, obviously the 1st guy will have a higher score per minute but he is the weaker player.

K/D can also be boosted or manipulated via dashboarding, spawn trapping etc

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

ashbashbluesfanPSN wrote:

...1 thing to take into account is with score per minute, a guy running in going 20-20 in tdm will have a high score per minute, bu the guy that goes 10-1 is of a far higher benefit to his team....

This is a point I always try to make.  Although a probably better comparison would be 22-23/350SPM v. 21-5/270SPM.  If a player is going only 10-1 every game, he's probably camping a bit too much.