34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 12:53 PM by Nubdub RSS

Anyone notice how many people are having connection issues the past few days

funkyiceman1799

TONS. I keep getting online, then booted out of the game telling me the black ops servers arent available........they obviously are I was just in the game. Or it takes me to a loading screen for 10 min.

THen I get probation warnings for things the servers did, all my ports are open, my modem is reset, my ISP is operational

• Re: Anyone notice how many people are having connection issues the past few days
    zingaa

It could never be the game or infastructre, it has to be your connection.

• Re: Anyone notice how many people are having connection issues the past few days
    ATVIAssist

Sorry to hear about your connection issue, Funkyiceman1799. Online services appear to be up and running http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/status  It looks like you have done some troubleshooting on your end. If you are on a wireless connection, for testing purposes can you try switching to a wired connection. Check to make sure any cables to your modem or router are not loose. Please let us know if you are still experiencing disconnects.

Additionally, you can reach us on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/l2qutd7 Twitterhttp://tinyurl.com/lsnntbp or our Support websitehttp://tinyurl.com/ka9vw6k  Thanks ^AH

KirikaRyoko

I've been having the exact same thing for a little over a week now, I just got my third 5 minute probation of the evening for "quitting legaue games early" but I didn't quit any of the three times. I was just suddenly dropped from the game with the message that the server at www.callofduty.com was temporarily unavailable and and to please try again later.

I was in an Xbox Live party and the game with a friend and she had the same thing happen to her three of the five times at the exact same instant, but in one of the games she was still in the game after I was dropped for about a minute and a half longer and then she said she had just gotten dropped as well (don't know about the other players) and in another game she was dropped about three minutes before I was. I know it wasn't our connections as we're in different states with totally different internet providers. Neither of us was disconnected from Xbox Live, our Xbox Live party, or any other internet related services.

This was happening to me on Black Ops II about a week and a half ago and it lasted into last weekend, then around Monday afternoon through Tuesday night it seemed to clear up a bit, then Wednesday couldn't get on the game at all for part of the day (seems a lot of people couldn't on Wednesday), then it was clear and worked ok until last night when I got dropped twice, and now on my fifth time tonight.

Black Ops II is the only game or program I have been having any problems with being randomly "dropped" from.

WalkingBug

This whole games sucks in terms of connection, team chat etc. And always "It is you connection" as an excuse. What a load of rubbish. Unlikely that 8 people in our clan have bad connections. Getting kicked randomly is almost part of the game, but the best thing is that Tryarch can't develop this properly and then you get a 5 minute probation on top. This game is a joke in terms of quality. Tryarch, get decent developers and try again. But hang on, you've got my money already, so who cares and maybe I've forgotten this pre-alpha game within the next two years.

KirikaRyoko

I heard rumors that the new Ghost MAY have an actual dedicated game server or servers. Wouldn't that be sweet if it were true. If it is true I will definatally be buying it, if I knew 100% for sure it was true in advance I'd probably even pre-order it, but if it's not confirmed 100% or turns out not to be true then I will probably hold off and wait to see what people say about it. In the meantime I'm just trying to get my $110+tax out of it (game+season pass+two of the skin packs) and so far not really feeling like I'm getting my value back out of it after dealing with all the glytches and bugs and small maps and poor map and mode rotations and all the cheaters and glytchers they won't do anything about.

I have less money in Borderlands 2 and it kept me entertained from November through March without ever feeling like I was repeating the same thing over and over (even though you do repeat some things  you don't "feel" like your doing it because each time is totally different) the way I am already starting to in BO2, I mean I got my moneys worth out of that game. I've only had BO2 a few weeks and am already starting to feel as though it's way too repetative in a lot of places with too small of maps and too few weapons choices to play with and not nearly as customizable. Plus all the lags and bugs and glytches and the players who glytch or cheat or mod or boost and the ones who abandon games which is just atrocious on league play. I've had other games in the past that also kept me entertained for a much longer period than BO2 has before starting to feel repetative, though BL2 holds the all-time record. The company that makes Borderlands 2 is talking about bringing out a game like MW or BO or Halo with the large multiplayer gaming experiance as part of that franchize, if the makers of BO2 arn't careful the makers of BL2 will run over them like a kid with an LMG and a target finder and they'll have never seen it coming until it's too late. I could just imagine what map sizes, character choices and customizations, and all those thousands upon thousands of weapons like BL2 has would do to the market if they brought it into an online multiplayer game like this or Halo. Right now on BL2 you can't play against your friends or other teams, you can team up with up to 4, soon to be 6 people but it's against AI enemys but the rumor mill is that's gonna change when they release the next one. It's funny because in a single paragraph they first say that all the rumors about them making suh an online multiplayer game to compete with Halo and MW type online games are just rumors at this point, but then later in the same pargrah says "but if we did, we'd be using dedicated gaming servers setup by region with affiliate partners". Umm, ok, so deny the rumors but then point out how you'd do it if you were to do it?  Sounds like double-speak for "we're doing it, we just don't want anyone to know we're doing it" talk to me.

In the meantime I'm holding out hopes for Ghost. If they don't get another DLC out or add more maps into the gameplay rotation (especially on league play) I'm gonna be bored with this one and onto something else long before Ghost is due out at this rate though. I play leagues and keep getting the same three maps and two game modes over and over and over. Hardpoint or S&D on either express, raid, or standoff. It's like come on, put some other maps in the rotation, and why am I not seeing the other game modes more?  Out of 20 games tonight most was on express or raid with only a couple on standoff, I had 14 games of hardpoint, 4 games of S&D, and only 2 games of capture the flag. That's not a very even rotation.

ItsVeinyBatwing

i tried to play a few rounds this morning the lag makes this game unplayable especially on the weekends. looks like time to play mw3 again , this game has runined me for cod, ghost no fkn way is going to be the same thing .

starbuckfrack

EVen if it were ten thousand players having trouble connecting they would consider that a normal number. So whats you point. People have trouble connecting daily overall. You just notice it more because right now its you having trouble.

starbuckfrack

I know what you mean. But if the server status has been the same for days then the only way you can fix it is find out why on your own.

There are so many reasons you can have that is the issue or your ISP can have, but there is only 1 reason that Activision can have.

They said it is fine on their end so you can wait for nothing to happen or MAKE something happen yourself.

If some rain water got in the line 5 blocks away from your house then it could take days for them to know it. If they are doing maintenance 5 miles from your house it could take days for them to fix it. And that could be another ISP doing the repairs.

TheOSUistheSHIZ

The connection in this game the last week has been nothing short of atrocious.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how with every new COD the connection gets worse, Im dumbfounded.

Never have I seen such piss poor hit detection.  On top of that, when at a connection disadvantage, not only do you miss shots right through the enemy, they take more bullets than the gun stats say they should, and it seems as though you have less health and they have more.

Case in point, Ive been using the FAL and there is no 2 hit kill range.  Im barrel stuffing people and its a 3 shot kill.  In addition, only 1 out of every 3 bullets actually hit with the other two I guess going off into oblivion.  All the while if an enemy shoots at you, not a single shot he shoots doesnt register.

Cant tell you how many times Ive been point blank and had to use 20+ shots to kill someone and every killcam I watch Im dead literally as soon as the 3rd bullet comes out of his gun.

I take cover and then 15 feet later I just fall dead and the killcam shows me getting shot before I took cover, so essentially I was allowed to run another 15 feet, on my screen, not in reality because so often my screen doesnt represent whats REALLY happening in game.

Enemies looking like they are prefiring the hell out of me around corners only to watch the killcam and its blantently obvious he rounded the corner first then shot.

Im literally fed up with this game at the present time, the first two weeks the game came out and then this last week have been the 3 worst weeks of lag Ive ever experienced in a FPS.

Youd think with everyone around the world getting faster internet and technology enhancing that the connection would get BETTER not WORSE with every new release, unfortunately the exact opposite is happening and IMO its inexcusable.

Edit: Try to avoid giving me troubleshooting tips about my end, save it.  This has happened on two different ISPs at two different locations.  I have done everything possible, the code/connection is just inherently broken.  I can only pray that Ghosts sees the light, not holding my breath though as I fear I would die from lack of oxygen.

Hate to break it to you but server being down while there is still people playing it's your connection you need to upgrade your internet or the problems will get worse in fact people who lag or have DSL or below are the problem when comes to lag. Basically you need standard or above DSL does not cut it anymore the gaming industry has alot more in their multiplayer games. Now if you were playing and said servers are down and there are zero people online suddenly that's the server the last time the entire server got shutdown was in Black Ops 1.

TheOSUistheSHIZ

I do want to say since my first post was so negative that I have played this game where the connection was good, so I know it is possible.

That being said though, that happens so rarely (Id say less than 20% of the time) that the other 80% overshadows it.

Obviously there are varying degrees to how bad it can get, like I said the first 2 weeks and then the last week its been horrible and its been pretty much every lobby.

I really do LOVE the COD series but the connection can ruin an awesome game, and its happening before my eyes.

I will say, when the connection is good this game is superb IMO, but its SOOOOOO connection-based that its getting ruined (the multiplayer that is).

Im not sure there is much they can do now, but like I said I can only hope future titles take the problem seriously, both Treyarch and Infinity Ward.  I/We love your games but the connection needs an overhaul.  Id be willing to go back to where the host had an advantage and that was it, everyone else was on a level playing field.  Please, if this is what has to happen, make it happen.

Sorry for being so harsh above.

Adam1234567893

It's probably your connection before I upgraded I had the same server issues now I don't and I only experience other people's lag. lol

NoLifeKing29

I got on tonight for the first time in a month to play with some friends, and the game ran terribly, 3 bars everywhere. And with no improvements to the playlists, it seems as if Treyarch isn't working on anything. The June update should be coming soon, along with the DLC, so time will tell if they still care about the players.

opaquewarrior

Lag is horrible today. Stopped playing cause I was tired of getting my ass shot off after getting off 6 or 7 shots with a scorpion.

GlockHalladay

I moved last week and at my old place had terrible lag issues playing bo2. now at my new place i have the same internet provider same modem and same router but now i dont lag. Im no tech guy but it doesnt make since to me why moving 20 miles away makes a difference

KirikaRyoko

There are actually a number of things that makes the difference;

1. Type, Age, Quality, and Condition of the lines inside of the building at your old place as compared to your new place.

2. Type, Age, Quality, and Condition of the lines from your house/building to the nearest neighborhood junction box (those smaller boxes you see in neigborgoods assuming they are not underground in your area) of your old place in comparison to your new place.

3. Type, The Age, Quality, and Condition (notice a repeating pattern here?) of the lines from the neigborhood junction box to the nearest area node station, that's those larger boxes you see from time to time that are about the size of a small deep freeze.

4. The distance you were/are FROM that nearest Node box, this is an important one as those area node boxes are usually the closest actual fiber-optic feed. No, most people do not have actual fiber optic in their house even on fast internet, it's meerly fiber optic to the nearest node box and regular wire/cable from there and how far you are from that closest fiber optic link makes a major difference.

5. How far that nearest node box is from the major junction station, and if the cables from that node box to the major junction station are actually fiber optic or still older style cables and if cables again back to the Type, Age, Quality, and Condition of those cables. Even if it is fiber optic it could be one of the older, early generations of fiber optic cable.

6. If that nearest major junction station has itself been upgraded to fiber optic or not and if so how long ago, was it early generation fiber optic or is it fairly new.

7. How new or old and high-end the computer systems and servers handling the data at your ISP is in your new area vs your old area.

There are many more more technical reasons for differences in two different locations having different results even though it's the same company and same (in your house) equipment but beyond those it starts to get really technical.

while you are probably correct in a way, please answer this. why do other games play near "perfect" when im people are playing online, but CoD still is laggy as ****

explain how the age of my building makes my internet lag when i play CoD, but acts perfectly fine when i play BF3 or CS:GO on my computer?

i have the best lag solution for BO2, take your disc, and insert it into its case. carefully put it into your car and drive to your nearest gamestop. ask them to take it back and they will hand you roughly $30 in store credit! no more lag!

KirikaRyoko

oh, I guess I could have said that if you go to "Accessories" on your computers start menu and choose "Command Prompt", you can then type the command "tracert 8.8.8.8" (8.8.8.8 is googles public DNS server, you can replace it with the IP address of any fast public server) and it will ping out and list all of the different connections between yourself and that server, it will most likely start with your own routers IP address giving you the fastest, slowest, and average ping times between your PC and router, then your modem will likely be the next one, and after that your out into your ISP and then the internet. If your having lag you can look at the list and see if you see a spot with unusually high numbers and if so you will know where the bottleneck is. Of course you'd have needed to do that at your old place and now at your new place and compare them to really see the difference. If you had been able to do that and the old place listed many more addresses between you and the 8.8,8,8 that can also have been the issue. The further away you are from a major connection server at your ISP the more lag, each step along the path adds a small amount and they all add up to what is your "average ping-over-time".

You can do a search in a web browser for more advanced commands you can use with the TRACERT program. It's actually called Trace Route and it does what the name implies, it traces the route your internet signal is taking from the computer you execute it on all the way to whatever sever address you enter and displays the results.

JBurn244

Research everything you can do to clean up your own line if you haven't already. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to do that to play the game. I read up and did lots of little things to clean up my connection and give the Xbox the best opportunity to have the best connection of all the devices in my house. Not saying that stuff is a magic pill, but the game generally plays smoothly and consistent for me. I have a 4 bar pretty much every game (where I rarely did before), and if I don't, I can tell.

Nubdub

The problem with this game is much deeper than an issue with your personal connection quality. It's the position in the gamestate you are placed depending on your connection. Having too clean (high bandwidth, low ping) of a line places you as host most games (might as well run around and not even shoot when host because you are placed a second behind in time in comparision to other players game states). Even when you are not host, having a low ping means your game state will be artificially "lagged" to try and balance you out with those with higher pings. The only time you will suffer from having a poor line is, if you are receiving packet loss or your ping is so high the game can no longer compensate.

JBurn244

Nubdub wrote:

The only time you will suffer from having a poor line is, if you are receiving packet loss or your ping is so high the game can no longer compensate.

I think that is a broad generalization, so for that reason, I disagree. Jitter in successive pings (the result of a subpar line in general) can also play a factor. Packet loss is on the side of the ISP, not the game. As is ping. Certain things can be done on our side to help those things, but if you have a subpar ISP/line, you have a subpar ISP/line. And that has nothing to do with the game in the disc tray.

Nubdub

I agree the disk/game cannot cause packet loss or high ping. What I am saying is the only time youre going to notice a disability is if you have a super high ping or packet loss. Having a ping average in the range of 60-120ms to host seems to be the sweet spot in this game. Anything above or below will have constant difficultys with "fake" lag if your ping is too low (which is the games fault not the user) or "real" lag if your ping is too high or having packet issues.

Jamaro85

Yep, its been noticeable more laggy the past couple weeks for me.  It could have to do with the people I'm playing with causing me to play with people further away than normal.  There's just too many variables to be able to chalk it up and say something has definitively changed for the worse.