19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 5:27 AM by rlbl Branched to a new discussion. RSS

How do you detect the exact player lag switching?

wookie101

Hi, I read the post on Magical Lag and explained what happened last night: Nuketown/opposing team all snipers/all tac insert> I kill one sniper then killed died imediately after, if not at the same time by abnother. I respawn, but he has already respawned and killed 2 others. This was happening with all their players and mutilating our side- except once we sussed their respawn points and changed tactics by taking out the tac inserts etc..However,  they were still glitching accross their map and reloctaing on our map at an impossible speed and re-tac inserting. For example- one player respawned in front of my by the front of their house- then/ glitch- he was by the bus/glitch he was by the car and fence/glictch -he was in our back yard taking everyone out, including me who got killed chasing his glitch. This was done within a sec.

This was the same experience for all our team by all their team- which meant it wasn't just one player. Or was it?

How do you work out who is lag switching to report them?

• Re: How do you detect the exact player lag switching?

I do not think its easy to detect, go back into theater and view the person you suspect of doing its game play.

Apart from that.. not sure.

starbuckfrack

Short version....

If everybody freezes except for one player then he has a lag switch. But it cant just be one time a game. He has to do it a dozen times for example.

Watch the game in theater if all players go red on the internet connection except him when hhe kills people that is lag switching.

Report him for tampering on Xbox Live.

Every time there's been one in a game, they usually have some obvious gt like Lagz <random noun> or somthing like that.

KirikaRyoko

Umm, how about "iLag", for some reason that is familiar. I mean I -know- that I played against someone with that gamertag or clan name one or the other sometime yesterday, just can't remember if it was that game where this was happening. Be kinda bold to actually advertize it. I thought it was odd that anyone would advertize that they had a laggy connection, maybe they meant iLag as in iLag YOU.

zingaa

I've only seen it for sure twice, both times in domination. As soon as we would try and capture B the game would lag out and our team couldn't physically even get to the flag(rubberbanding), then after we would respawn the game would be fine, rinse and repeat...in the lobby after the guy says " you sure were having trouble capturing B, then a sinister laugh"..

The whole lobby report him, but he contiues to play to this day with no reset..

KirikaRyoko

Is there some reason it would be harder to enforce/kick players doing it if they were in another country?

I had it happen again late last night, it didn't take long at all before EVERYONE on our team with a mic began saying what was happening and a couple cussing the guy doing it. Anytime anyone would be about to kill him when he knew it was coming (still managed sniping him from across the map twice when he had no idea it was coming) suddenly we would all do the rubber-banding thing. I would be right on him about to pull the tigger, then suddenly 30 feet back, then back again and dead.

It was on Hardpoint and near the end we was way ahead to the point there was no way we could loose the game even if we all just laid down our controllers.  Wasn't enough seconds left in the game for them to catch up even if we just let them have the next hardpoint. So not worrying about having to fight to win anymore I pressed the back button on my controller and left the scoreboard screen up while I was playing so I could see everyones connection bars, a little disorenting but you can still play since the scoreboard is somewhat opaque...  and then I intentionally went after him. Sure enough my 4 green bars the instant I was about to rush him firing would drop (along with everyone else but him who always remaind at 5 bars) to 1 red bar and event the "connection interupted" message would flash for just an instant, I would "rubber band" a moment, then everyones 4 bars would come back and I would be dead. I repeated the little test a couple of times myself and the same thing would happen, I also noticed it would happen when someone else was about to kill him if he seen it coming.

At the end of the game (250 to 81) everyone on his team showed like 25+ deaths each, he on the other hand only showed 6 deaths and also way more kills than the rest of his team, and he (in fact most of his team) was NOT that good of a player at all.

I asked about the forgien country thing though because I noticed his calling card incorperated was what I believe to be the city crest flag for Mexico City, Mexico. If not Mexico city then somewhere in Mexico.

Anyways, a couple of our team said they was reporting him, and I did as well. I have had games where I have wonderd if someone was, then I had the game the day before yesterday where I was pretty darn sure they was. This was my first game where I was 100% sure beyond any doubt at all that this guy was. Everyone had either 4 green bars or 3 yellow bars except when somene was about to kill him when he'd see it coming and then suddenly EVERYONE on both teams except for him would momentarily drop to 1 red bar.

starbuckfrack

KirikaRyoko wrote:

Is there some reason it would be harder to enforce/kick players doing it if they were in another country?

I had it happen again late last night, it didn't take long at all before EVERYONE on our team with a mic began saying what was happening and a couple cussing the guy doing it. Anytime anyone would be about to kill him when he knew it was coming (still managed sniping him from across the map twice when he had no idea it was coming) suddenly we would all do the rubber-banding thing. I would be right on him about to pull the tigger, then suddenly 30 feet back, then back again and dead.

Doesnt matter what country he is in its still a violation.

But if you players were rubber banding that doesnt sound like a lag switch to me. It sounds like he had a very poor connection. If someone has a bad connection and he is host everytime you get near him all players could drop to one bar. But when you add rubber banding to the mix that means a bad connection usually.

BTW your "bar count" is off. Xbox Live only has 4 bars.

KirikaRyoko

Hahaha, I've never actually counted them. But in any event we all had full bars (green) except a couple of people who occionally showed 1 less bar which was yellow, but he ALWAYS had full bars and green, even when everyone else dropped to 1 red bar, which only happend when he was in immediate danger.

Someone here told me it was called rubber-banding. You would either freeze in place, or sometimes even "jump back" a few feet for a moment.

If it wasn't a lag switch then he had the worlds most "perfectly selective and always benificial to him and only him" poor connection ever. Like a one in (insert some astronomically high number) chance of occuring always right when HE needed it, time after time, and never at any other time in the game.

Plus he ALWAYS showed to have a full 4 green bars, even when everyone else on both sides would drop to the 1 red bar, and magically only when he was about to get killed and seen it coming...  Ie, if you sniped him with a 1 shot/1 kill headshot from a far enough distance where he couldnt see it coming the lag didn't happen and he would actually die.

If that was all just his "very poot connection", tell me what ISP he has and where I can sign up for that company   My k/d rato will jump by leaps and bounds and I will be a Master rank in the leagues in no time at all. If he'd actually had a decent amount of skill to go along with his magical lag he'd have been a force to be reckoned with but he was actually a somewhat sub-par player from what we could see as far as his actual skills. Maybe he's been relying too much on his "poor connection" and never botherd to work on his actual skills

starbuckfrack

What your situation you describe sounds more like he was just stuck as host. Its possible his connection couldnt handle the bandwidth,.

You cant tell he could play fine in all other games when he is host as well. Perhaps he got some bad connections that joined him.

You can tell who has the bad internet when you get in his zone. I have had quite a few games where the game ran fine until I got in this players zone (or sight).

lag switchers usually also have a 10 to 1 KD ratio as well.

KirikaRyoko

I don't think your fully understanding just how VERY specific this lag was. There was nothing random about it like normal lag. How it ONLY happend when this one particular guy was about to get killed and at no other times.  That's waaay to specific for just being coencidence or stuck as host, I have seen the host thing and it does not ONLY happen when the host is about to get killed, it happens throughout the game. This did not happen at any other time including when he went to kill someone, nor when there was a lot of action going on at once (which is when normal lag often shows up worse). This only happend when HE specifically was about to get killed and seen it coming.

Everyone said it was really clearly a lag switch and at one point we overheard his own teamates say "Aw come'on home', ya lagged me out, was about to get a shot on these gusy that time". I don't know if his teamate knew him and knew he was using a lag switch, or like everyone on our team just clearly recognized that he was.

Someone said (I never looked myself) that he had an unusually high K/d ratio, especially for someone who did not seem to be a very good player.

stonculd

Look at the game in theatre mode, the guy moving while everyone else is frozen is doing it.

KirikaRyoko

Yea, that was this guy in my game earlier. Everyone freezes for a moment or two while he still moves around enough to shoot anyone who was closing in on him, then everyone starts moving again and whomever on the enemy team was closing in on him about to kill him is now suddenly dead.

He doesn't even show that "moment of confusion" when it happens, when myself and most others I've seen get lag there is usually that moment when they seem to just stop for a moment to see if it's gonna pass or get worse or what, or their character will act as though they are a little uncertain what to do for just a moment testing if they can still move or whatever. When we lagged this guy "went to work", like he expected it and knew it was gonna happen and was ready to make the most of those few moments.

Another way that's pretty obvious which one of our team suggested was leaving the scoreboard up also where you can watch everyones signal strength, even though you have to play by looking through it. You can see who is the only person with full signal strength when everyone else laggs all at the same time going down to 1 red bar. Then watch to see if it only seems to happen when that particular person is about to get attacked and no other times.

SitRepPro

Those bars haven't been accurate since MW2.  If players are freezing the moment he is ADSing on a player then that sounds like a lag switch to me.  Lag switchers can hide behind games that have matchmaking issues on who is host, who gets paired up etc.  If it's laggy all round then it could be that host is uploading a lot of data on their line.  I've accidently done this (my computer is not connected to my gaming monitor) and the game played like **** and there is nothing you can do if this is the case.

rlbl

1 - Everyone in a game freezes safe from 1 person - Host is using a lag switch

2 - Everything in game seems fine, but one person seems to move erratically and you can never "lock" on him:

- Poor connection (your end)

- He could be using a lag switch

3 - Everything in game seems fine, but one person seems to move erratically and nobody can ever "lock" on him:

- Poor connection (his end, although this can also work against him and he goes seriously negative)

- He could be using a lag switch

In case 1, you will see everyone's bars drop

In case 2, you will have a low bar or you will see his bar moving up and down

In case 3, he will have a low bar, or you will see his bar moving up and down

N.B. For some odd reason, people think a lag switch cannot be used (or has no effect) unless you are the host. When one understands fundamentally what happens when connections are throttled in one direction (essentially the purpose of said switch) it is easy to understand that this is simply not the case.