29 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 8:36 AM by AssassinVirus RSS

Treyarch vs Infinity Ward.

Im new to the COD community, Coming mostly from Battlefield games i am very confused to how theres two companys under the same title.

Its the first i have ever heard of for an FPS, So i though't id start a topic on whats the pro's and con's of each company. And maybe any tips on gameplay between different game engines...I apologise if there is already a topic about this.

• Re: Treyarch vs Infinity Ward.
    reformedplayer

up in the air still infinityward hasz gone through managment change

and treyarc has forsaken the community

Foxhound-Pro

There has not been one in a while, but this is generally considered a "banned" discussion due to the conflict it creates.

All opinions are entirely subjective and the studios have changed very much since their starting days. My advice is to play their SP to understand how they progress with that and then play MP from the latest two titles for a view on their differences.

trollinthunder

Each developer takes turns developing a game every other year.  Each developer gets 2 years to devlop a game and release it.  2007 was IW, 2008 was Treyarch, 2009 was IW, and so on and so forth.  They both use the same engine with minor tweaks and changes to suit the game. Start with single player for IW games (COD4, MW2, and most recently, MW3).  Then for Treyarch games, play Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2.  You could also play World at War, even though it there is no relation to the Black Ops side of thing.  A lot of features have been added to both, so they take ideas from each other and implement them, they work together and support each other without actually working together.  They learn from each others games.

Treyarch

Pros

• Zombies mode.  Your classic wave defense mode that sends endless hoardes of Zombies at you and is great to play with friends. It also has a really cool back story if you really get into it. 
    • Tend to make bigger risks when it comes to innovation (Could also be a con, but I would say a majority tend to enjoy their changes to the series).  Score streaks instead of kill streaks, and a "Pick 10" system for creating a class (Guns, attachments, perks, and grenades).
    • Theater mode was added in Black Ops 1, but has since been added to MW3.  It allows you to go back to your past 100 games and watch your gameplay.
    • Maps.  I tend to like Treyarch maps better than IW maps.  The IW maps in COD4 were some of the best, but since then, they have dropped off.

Cons

• Hit detection isn't as good.  This could vary for every user, but a majority of people have said that the hit detection in Treyarch games aren't as good. 
    • Lack of community interaction.  When compared to IW, they are lacking.
    • Colors.  They've stepped up the colorfulness of the maps in Black Ops 2, but the maps in Black Ops 1 and World at War weren't very colorful or pretty to look at (albeit they were fun to play on).

Infinity Ward

Pros

• COD4.  This game brought so much innovation to the series and really set up the future of the franchise.
    • Colors. Generally speaking the maps are more colorful and look much better than Treyarch maps.
    • Community Interaction. Top notch.  Interaction from @Teanah and @candyslexia on twitter is some of the best and I think they do a really good job at taking feedback and replying to fans.

Cons

• It's not the same IW of old.  After MW2, most of the staff left and formed Respawn Entertainment.  IW needed help in developing MW3 and was assisted by Sledgehammer Games.
    • A lot more "BS" to get mad at.  Things you would think are unfair or generally would just make you mad. 
    • Too conservative.  They don't change enough in the game to make it feel new.  They do change some, but, in my opinion, they need to be more innovative.

The only way to truly tell which one you like more is to play them for yourself.  Play Black Ops 1 and 2, and play MW3.  Some people love Treyarch, some people love IW, and some people love both.  Both developers give the game the same generic feel, but at the same time, there are a lot of other little things that make each game stand out on its own.

2o2p

I prefer the IW campaigns.  They seem to be written for a more mature and intelligent audience.  The Treyarch campains are pretty ridiculous and seem to be written by a pair of 13-year olds trying to up each other, saying, "you know what would be really cool, what if...".  They seem along the same lines as any 'newer' George Lucas movie.

For multi-player it is a toss up.  Treyarch makes a more interesting and balanced multi player game, but it is technologically inconsistent and overall more frustrating.

As far as the lobby systems go for both developers, well let's just say it is pretty embarrassing.  After 8 iterations of CoD you would think someone would come up with a lobby system that keeps the players together before, during, and after a match.

deamonomic

I would vote for Infinity ward in the war between whos better... but my vote for them was being flown in on a care pakage chopper back in MW2 when all the sudden it was blown out of the sky by the AC130 the enemy team now has an infinite supply of over there because they have been care package glitching like pros for the last 4 months! but if they can fine the shattered remains of my vote amongst the ruins and are able to piece it back together, unlikely due to the fact that some parts were vaporized, I would then actually think about letting them keep it.

jokes aside, I find BO games to be more stable and to have LESS annoying and frustrating things. for example face off 3 v 3... yes.... cause everyone enjoys the feeling of enemies spawning inside their colons.  One man army + tubes + danger close... cause why should you have to move when you can just fire tubes non stop?

bkblazer

I personally would just make a list of your fav and most hated CoD's. Treyarch is at the top and bottom of mine. IW has the most groudbreaking and most dissappointing title. I love and hate them both.

In my opinion, Treyarch is better. Infinity Ward has made some good games (Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2), but since MW2 the company has changed. MW3 was just terrible, and it was a huge disappointment when compared to the previous two installments of the Modern Warfare series. Treyarch, on the other hand, did not do anything special with World at War, but I thought that Black Ops and Black Ops II were very good. I especially like Treyarch's innovativeness, a quality that Infinity Ward is lacking in.

r8edtripx

I'm definitely more of a Treyarch fan. I don't like stopping power or the built in stopping power that MW3 has because it makes the Time To Kill too low for my liking.

I like that in Black Ops and Black Ops 2, the more skilled player, generally, will win the gun fight.

Also, I felt like killing someone IRL after a long gaming session of MW3, because you couldn't lower the music separately from the game audio and SFX audio. I hope the COD Ghosts doesn't have that issue.

deamonomic

r8edtripx wrote:

I'm definitely more of a Treyarch fan. I don't like stopping power or the built in stopping power that MW3 has because it makes the Time To Kill too low for my liking.

I like that in Black Ops and Black Ops 2, the more skilled player, generally, will win the gun fight.

Also, I felt like killing someone IRL after a long gaming session of MW3, because you couldn't lower the music separately from the game audio and SFX audio. I hope the COD Ghosts doesn't have that issue.

the time to kill in black ops 2 is a few hundred miliseconds...  you can die in around 300-400 MS and thats nothing too special

bkblazer

deamonomic wrote:

the time to kill in black ops 2 is a few hundred miliseconds...  you can die in around 300-400 MS and thats nothing too special

I truely do believe this may be a cause for lots of wtf moments, frustration and rage. But it does work both ways so the frustration is most likely spread in both directions. But then again, I can still run into eating bullets moments also. Its all over my head.

r8edtripx

deamonomic wrote:

r8edtripx wrote:

I can't relate to time in miliseconds, but when you play Black Ops and then play MW3, the difference in TTK becomes EXTREMELY apparent. Don't you agree?

deamonomic

r8edtripx wrote:

deamonomic wrote:

r8edtripx wrote:

I can't relate to time in miliseconds, but when you play Black Ops and then play MW3, the difference in TTK becomes EXTREMELY apparent. Don't you agree?

I cant as Its been a while and I no longer own the game.

I dont think so though. I think that TTK is mostly dependant on how good your opponent is. most gunfights with players who land all their bullets at the start end in less then 300 Miliseconds (I have been doing alot fo looking into that). what I mean by that is from the moment the first enemy bullet hits you and your screen goes red to the moment you start zooming out from your body is 300 MS in that one incident.

you will have to check out my video when im done XD i got some 80 deahts/kills collected into a 36 second sting XD its only part of the video but one that I find amusing when listening to drowning pools bodies.

I'm definitely more of a treyarch fan. My main reason is that they fully support the esports community, but I also feel like they have less bs in their games.

parnezzi

well since im one the few who actually played CoD before it was cool (cliche i know) and to everybody else who has its very common knowledge that IW has always been better than treyarch, or as i like to say trollarch with a couple things in their game which i know they purposly put in to troll and annoy people.

IW has always been better every since CoD3 came out (thats treyarchs first CoD title)

rsturp

Trearch make the best cods for me. i still don't know a person who liked MW3

AssassinVirus

I personally enjoy Infinity Ward more. I feel both companies put a lot of passion into their work. I found a lot of things in the Treyarch games I didn’t enjoy though. One example being the Target Finder attachment; I know there are ways around it but I felt it was a strong crutch put into the game. On the other hand I will give Treyarch creativity on the addition of the Millimeter Scanner. Perhaps I’m alone in this but I really enjoyed all the Modern Warfare games a lot, including Modern Warfare 3. Hopefully both companies keep up the good work and we get to enjoy more years of great gunplay.

reformedplayer

I offer this to you treyarch haters...

infinityward introduced onemanarmy and tac insertions...

treyarch introduced what is now callofduty elite

sr-71/orbital vsat

although treyarch took a step back with BO2

BO was second best cod since. cod 4...

codboxx

just one quick thing remember ALL the complains when black ops was out?? everybody said "if it wasnt for sr71 this game would be dead" and when mw3 was new "well this game sucks but it cant possibly be worse than crap ops" remember, the first cod with lag problems, blopshot, etc...

one man army is gone, tac inserts are easily destroyed with emp gernades.

vsats arnt too bad, not sure i like not being able to shoot them down, but i dont hate that too much either

call of duty elite is great, treyarch desided not to do ANYTHING with it and made it completly useless as it is now. there is NO incentive at all to do clan ops, NONE. i blame that on treyarch, because in MW3, there were in game unlocks for leveling up your clan, in BO2 all you get is a background on your clan page online....derp

AssassinVirus

Clearly you misunderstood what I was saying; I never said I hated Treyarch. Yes, Infinity Ward may have brought in One Man Army & Tactical Insertion but Treyarch chose to use Tactical Insertion as well so I don’t understand where you’re going with that. Treyarch did not create Call of Duty Elite so would you like to continue down this road of things you clearly don’t know?