44 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 7:13 AM by phxs72 RSS

Fal vs smr

spankhiccup

So I decided to try the fal and omg was it good.....but to my suprise after using the smr, i found it better

I found that the smr gets me more consistant kills over all distances. In my opinion the smr is now better than the fal in all areas apart from its clip size. It also seems that i can fire the smr faster too. On both weapon SF is a wasted attachement.

What does everyone else think?

• Re: Fal vs smr
    mdm123456789

The Fal was my first gold weapon in this game. So I've gotta stick with that one. The only thing I like about the SMR is how sexy it looks with diamond camo.

.....And yes, SF is completely useless.

spankhiccup

It seems the smr is overshadowed by the fal. I dont think people realise just how good it is.

Smr does look good in diamond, just needs a few more diamonds on it lol

ghamorra

The FAL has a higher damage but the SMR has more range. The FAL will win any upclose fight, both are equal at roughly medium range, but the SMR has more stopping power at the med-long ranges. The downside to this is how often do you find yourself needing the SMR's range? I find the FAL is more versitile because of this.

The FAL also is easier to shoot because of lower recoil and seems to have a faster rate of fire than the SMR. I also believe the FAL has bigger mags

kylet345

Actually, the SMR does do more damage per shot. It used to do 50-40 damage over its respectable range, but now it does 59-49. This means I can shoot through cover with it and still get a two shot kill, and I still have the ability to get a two shot kill if I hit someone in the head once at long range.

ghamorra

Mk14>FAL>SMR

azn_chic

Nice Vid Agreed, SF is a waste of an attachment. Love using my FAL with Quickdraw, Adjustable Stock, and Fast Mags. I play mainly hardcore, so it usually doesn't take more than 2 direct hits to take someone out. Used to use this rifle with an optic of some sort, but I grew out of that, I don't waste a slot for optics now that I have completed all the optics challenges

spankhiccup

Nicely done but i think fast mags is a waste too. The reload is fast enough. Maybe take it off for something else. Just my thoughts

BanHaMMer

I think the reload on the SMR is surprisingly fast. I prefer that over the Fal, the SMR is like a shotty up close in CQC from the hip for those WTF!!! moments

azn_chic

yeah! I was thinking the same thing a couple days ago. I just don't know what to replace it with I've been using 3 attachments to get the challenge done, other than that, it's great with just stock and qd

Erijian_Aruseus

When it comes down to it, I think the SMR is overall better than the FAL OSW. The recoil, if anything, reminds me more of the M14 while the FAL OSW's recoil reminds me of the FAL. The SMR has damage of 59-49, while the FAL OSW has damage of 55-40. (Not much of a difference, but the range capablities make a nice difference in the end of it.) Both have amazing wall penetration, FAL OSW reloads faster and has a larger clip, and has 625 RPM compared to the SMR's 535 I think? Most people can hardly use the FAL to the point of 625 RPM, so the SMR is a winner there for me because I can't hit anywhere near that lol. I've seen a lot of people using Select Fire and Silencer on the SMR recently, and to be honest it looks like a fantastic combination of attachments for some players that use it. The range still seems to be pretty strong in the 2-shot zone even with the Silenecer as well. (Looks somewhat further than the FAL OSW's 2-shot range.)

Nonetheless, I'll take the range it has over the FAL OSW anyday. <3

sennalike

SMR all day long. Only play hardcore at the moment, SMR with a suppressor, nothing else. Use the points for perks. Fast mags is a waste as it is a one hit kill and rarely need to reload, and auto fire I never use on semi auto's, it just makes them worse.

HaitianCreation

I personally like the Fal better, the aesthetic appeal is amazing, when you get it diamond, I think it's the best looking gun in the game.You can also shoot it much faster than you can the SMR and it also just feeld better. The main reason I used the SMR was because I thought it had OHK headshot potential but I guess I was mistaken on that. While the SMR may have more damage in the stats, when you factor in the online play, they both amount to be 2 or 3 hit markers to kill.

kylet345

Select Fire isn't a complete waste of an attachment. Look at this way, if you have Select Fire on, you only have to worry about aiming instead of firing and aiming. Still, it's something you should only use as a close range deterent, not an all round god mode for the weapon.

Brutorious

M8A1 for the win!

WiseguyFTL

The SMR is straight AWFUL. You can't shoot that thing nearly fast enough. You can shoot the FAL faster than any SMG except for the skorpion, the SMR will jam at half that speed. I guess the SMR is better if you have a slow trigger finger because of its better range and higher damage, but if you have a fast trigger finger the FAL is by far the best gun in the game.

I think it's kind of unfair to guns like the AN94. The AN is a great gun, but it has recoil and a limited ROF. You can shoot the FAL faster than the AN94 easily, and it would still have less recoil.

You should watch this video if you think the SMR is better, this guy has been using the FAL since the release of the game, and he won 4 championships with it. He knows what he's talking about.

/watch?v=1p8q3wHG79k

PsnEvans020

the SMR is actually very good,use the select fire and suppresor,its very powerful also,i actually think its better than the fal

WiseguyFTL

First of all, any AR is horrible without stock. Using an AR with just select fire and silencer is awful. I hate select fire, it's nooby and takes no skill to use. If you don't use select fire, if you compare the naked FAL to the naked SMR the FAL is 10x better, just because of the fire rate.

PsnEvans020

why is it nooby?

WiseguyFTL

Because you can shoot it faster without select fire. I don't understand why people use it. They probably use it because they have a terrible aim and can't shoot and aim at the same time. I think SF shouldn't even have been an attachment, if you have a terrible trigger finger, either practise or don't use semi auto's.

PsnEvans020

i have a 3 kd nearly with the smr ,and i use select fire , i have an average of 25% accuracy with all weapons except snipers its alot higher, cant see how its nooby if it fires slower then whats the issue

WiseguyFTL

There's no issue, I just don't like it. I think a semi-auto should be a semi-auto. Semi-auto's take skill to use. That skill is to have a fast trigger finger, and to remain accurate while shooting at high speeds. I think SF takes away the skill to use a semi-auto, but that's just my opinion. If you do well with it, use it. I don't see why you should brag about a 3 k/d in pubs anyway, k/d doesn't say a lot about skill..

PsnEvans020

didnt brag just said that i have good stats with the weapon ,also who said i only play pubs ,ive played all sorts over the last 6 years ,playing in GB  is nothing special - played it alot in cod4 mw2 days ,some mlg players are pretty average aswel to be honest.

chances are if you have a good kd good w/L Good spm in "PUBS" Then overall your probably pretty good at cod

mdm123456789

They added select fire to make modded controllers nearly obsolete. Although I use SF, I like the idea.

azn_chic

that's what they added it for? I like the idea, in reality (though I'm not saying it should be "realistic" per se) most rifles have select fire options. Semi - Burst/Full Auto. I really have no problem with people using SF, but as a personal preference I much rather use a Semi as a Semi. I think SF kind of takes the "skill" part out of using the weapon, after all Semi Auto rifles are usually much more powerful because they balance it with the low rate of fire. But when you add the SF option, then you just get a very strong spray and pray weapon. Just my thoughts on it.

BanHaMMer

But, SF on the SMR is very slow.

I don't believe, that being the case it is 'nooby' to use it as someone posted earlier. Unlike some semi-autos where SF also increases the speed of rounds fired per min.

HaitianCreation

Because they don't have skill and can't aim and shoot at the same time, therefore they should be using an automatic weapon.

PsnEvans020

im sorry but i cannot take this comment seriously,if i use SF on my SMR i have no skill is what your saying?

FaNtasY_KiLLer11

Somewhat because you can just hold down the trigger instead of tapping it. I hate when people use select fire it is useless unless you don't have a fast trigger finger.

PsnEvans020

i can fire it faster without select fire,but i prefer using select fire on this particular weapon , still no valid points as to why its nooby then

Err0r_6_Is_Back1_LOL

speed doesnt matter.. notice the next time you shoot the FAL  it will start registering the shot at the 3rd bullet.. you are better off using it semi auto.. plus it has more damage, and has way more accuracy

phxs72

Both the SMR and FAL are better in burst mode but I do use SF on both of them for the obvious advantage that it has.  Granted most of the time, I'm bursting the weapon even though I've got it in full auto mode (yes I know that there is a damage and accuracy decrease for doing this) but when you find yourself in a CQC situation being able to go full auto is a distinct advantage.  Some may say that they are too good to need that advantage but I would say that most of those same folks are well aware that it is the superior setup if you are looking for the easiest way to win a gunfight.  I make no bones about it.  I'm going into the game to get as many kills as I can.  So whatever attachment or perk combo that makes that happen best for me is what I intend to use.  Sure I can do quite well without any of them but I'm not going to limit my choices by what someone else has determined to be beneath them.  It doesn't matter to me if it's noob or pro.  I use what I want when I want and am comfortable doing so.

PS: A lot of folks find the stock attachment a must for ARs.  I understand why they feel this way but I hardly ever have used a stock on any AR.  Nothing against those that do use it but it doesn't help my playstyle enough to warrant it.  I'd imagine that some of those against the SF attachment feel the same way about it as I do about the Stock.  To me it's good that we all have choices that better suit our particular playstyles.

spankhiccup

I am one of those guys. I must have stock on all ar's. I can't use them without it. It's down to preference at the end of the day. I don't think semi autos need SF. Yea people may call it nooby and cheap but what the hell. I have shouted down the mic "noob" when I die by a full auto fal, but it's just a heat of the moment thing.

Err0r_6_Is_Back1_LOL

I understand why you want to use SF.. but i recommend this

use

FAL

silencer/hybrid

use kap40 for close courters.

that way you have the accuracy for mid to long range and when u get into close quarters get that Kap40 out, since it dominates really any smg CQC

phxs72

I get your point but the reason that I like the SF option is because I run an 8 sensitivity.  When I come up against a guy running a speed class that bolts past me, I have very little time to react and not die.  In this situation I have to hipfire and hope that I can turn fast enough to track him while he halo jumps and dropshots me.  Not having to think about timing my shots helps in this situation.  Sure I could use a Kap (which I do btw) but then I have to consider the switch out delay and hope that I don't miss too much as the Kap runs out of ammo very fast.  Not running a 14 sensitivity has one draw back and that is turning when you've been caught off gaurd.  By having SF on I can keep my primary out and kill the enemy with only 2 bullets landed.  Anytime that I know that I'm going into a CQC situation, I alway switch to my KAP first.  The SF option just helps when I don't know that I'm going into a CQC situation.  Again it's not a necessary attachment but it does give me and my playstyle a slight edge on a weapon that really doesn't need an attachment to be good.

Err0r_6_Is_Back1_LOL

yeah, i use to run SF all the time on them, but found running it semi was way better, and i guess i minimize those suprise CQ situations because i always run awareness, so alot of the times i know when to switch before i see the enemy..

Brutorious

Isn't the top sensitivity a 10? or am i missing out on something?

phxs72

In every CoD prior to BO2 the top sensitivity was a 10.  However, for BO2 they redistributed the sensitivities into 14 options.  A 14 in BO2 is equivalent to a 10 in MW3.  So my 8 in BO2 is like a 6 in MW3.