7 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 1:27 PM by owiseguyo RSS

Dividing the core (spread too thin)

stonculd

I got to thinking about why I can't seem to get consistent performance in this game since installing the map packs. For one When only playing the core game with no maps installed I get fairly consistent gameplay. Since installing the maps I get a great connection one game and then absolutely terrible.  I am wondering if this may have to do with having a league play playlist, and a seperate playlist for the newest map pack? Really if you think about it, just the core game there are not many guys doing league play, and no one will be on the dlc only playlist because it's not there, hence a bigger pool of players that the match making has to work with. So when you have the maps installed, there will be the largest group of guys that will be doing league play, and then you have the group that only wants to play the new dlc. This divides the core group into three different pools and matchmaking for each has fewer players, which basically means when going into a match the people you are being matched with will be more geographically spread out, and creates a inconsistent gaming experience.  Granted there are the people who's experience has been consistent,  but I think this must have to do with where they are located ,the population density, and the amount of people playing this game around them (obviously there are other variables, internet connection, console health....). Just a thought, that maybe trying to turn a game into a competitive sport, and having seperate playlists for dlc is not as good idea of an idea as it seems.

• Re: Dividing the core (spread too thin)
    Restore_Hardcore

I have a similar theory. How else can you explain how some have smooth experiences and others choppy.

phxs72

You're probably right as it relates to League Play.  That playlist already has very few people in it and if its broken down into an even smaller segment when trying to match with DLC players then the matchmaking is likely to be pretty rough depending on their geographic location and the proximity of other DLC players to them.

zingaa

Interesting theory, makes sense actually. Im curious to see what the loyalists who say it's "our network or tv settings" will say.

stonculd

I honestly think the people having a consistent,  good experience have an alchemy or sweetspot ( internet, location, setup).  High population density, a large local COD community,  good isp's. I live in a fairly medium sized city, not sure about how many play COD around me, I have Xfinity internet, my node is shared with 500 households in my area, I have a slim Xbox and it's not too old, I keep it clean and well ventilated,  I know how to set everything up so as to get the best performance out of my setup, yet inconsistent performance.  You tell me.

owiseguyo

Best way to have a great connection and experience is to find your own lobby when searching for games. Then instead of getting thrown into someone else's host, the system will be working off of yours matching players that are similar to your host or region. The map packs have something to do with your search availability. From what I have seen, having all the map packs or none of the packs gets you plenty of players to be matched with. The more hardcore COD gamers will have all the maps and you will find much more competition when you have the maps. Most of the players who don't have the maps are either very casual gamers who maybe play once a week for a couple hours. Then there's the players who purposely avoid the new maps to beat up on those casual players to make Thier stats seem better then they are. Youtubers are famous for this and are almost always playing these casual players when you see Thier videos on YouTube of them dropping 100+ kills.

One more thing to add, if you have one of the two map packs at this point( especially revolution only) you can expect very bad connections and difficulty finding games since the search is narrowed down to players who just have one or the other map pack.

stonculd

Oh yeah. I am very aware of these factors. I know my skill, I would consider myself average. I only play TDM and in most COD games I average around a 1.50 K/D (and that's an honest number I don't dashboard, or try to pad my stats in anyway). I usually start with around a 1.0 till I get the maps down then it climbs to around where I said, and it was doing that till I installed these maps which I learned pretty fast because it's only 4 at a time. Now however my k/d which I had at 1.13 has steadily been dropping.  I actually just uninstalled the map packs and I see a considerable difference in game performance. As a side note I never had this problem with the first Black Ops.