1 33 34 35 36 37 Previous Next 382 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2013 5:41 AM by frtthunderpants Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
  • 340. Re: The Lag!!!!
    biron_w

I've said this numerous times(maybe even in this thread) - the problem with lag in this game is how matchmaking works.

Treyarch put out a statement saying it goes proximity>skill>connection when really it should be connection>proximinity>skill.

Until Treyarch change this then the problems will continue to exist.

Connection - and possibly host selection as well -  should always be the number 1 priority when searching for games.

• 341. Re: The Lag!!!!
    maccabi

biron_w wrote:

I've said this numerous times(maybe even in this thread) - the problem with lag in this game is how matchmaking works.

Treyarch put out a statement saying it goes proximity>skill>connection when really it should be connection>proximinity>skill.

Until Treyarch change this then the problems will continue to exist.

Connection - and possibly host selection as well -  should always be the number 1 priority when searching for games.

I already answered this a few posts up.

But you know it doesnt actually matter what way round you list the search parameters they will still return the same results as each one is wieghted.

search for a game with a ping within x range but a max of x , with a skill of average in europe

is the same as saying search for a game in europe where the skill is average and the pings fit x ranges.

Matchmaking doesnt work by a search for this THEN this THEN this it searches for everything at once.

Again said earlier, dont pay too much heed to the order somethings written or was written as each element is wieghted so it makes no difference at all

• 342. Re: The Lag!!!!

sorry im going to have to disagree with you, order does matter, when it comes to networking, you will get different results depending on priority..

it should be connection first prox, then skill..

• 343. Re: The Lag!!!!
    deamonomic

maccabi wrote:

ge0rdiemark wrote

ITS SKILL BASED MATCH MAKING ELEMENT AND LEAGUE PLAY that is putting me in lobbies with people 1000 miles away in south europe from London.

skill based matchmaking has been an element of all cods, i dont know why people assume its a new thing, I can only guess its because of that article 1os wrote listing the matchmaking parameters and skill was the first one, (as i explained back at the time thats because the list was basiclly copied as it is in the game , each parameter of matchmaking is weighted. Yes skill does play a part but no skill is not  the over riding factor. Leagueplay is slightly different though and it suffers horribad matchmaking issues because its such a low population gamemode and players are ranked unlike normal pub play. (which is why sometimes you get matched into sessions outside your rank)

The other issue is geolocation is used in matchmaking. Just because you are in the uk doesnt mean the system accepts you are or actually places you in the correct area. Geolocation works off a few factors unfortunately it suffers one major flaw which is isps' use of block ip addresses. to give you an idea what i mean here many uk isps buy blocks of ip addresses sometimes these come from other isps sometimes they aquire them when they take over another isp or merge.

These ip addresses are registered on the net already and get assigned to you on a lease (dynamic) meaning you either have that ip address for a set amount of time or issued with one when you connect to the net. (they differ from static ips which is an ip address you are given permanently). So for example BT have a wholoe block of ips they got from a european isp as a result geolocation will assume you are where those ip addresses are register too in the case of bt thats usually there head office in london.

Back in mw3 i demonstrated how geolocation works and the flaws by showing how i could influence matchmaking based on what one of my connections i used. At the time i had a bog standard adsl connection with a dynamic ip and a leased line with a static ip address.

the dynamic one always matched me further afield and in mainland europe whereas my static ip which was registered to my actual location gave me usually very local sessions.

The system xbl uses is supposed to get more accurate over time, as it uses dns to double check results (not even going to open the whole dns can of worms again) but unfortunately when you deal with the fact most isps give dynamic ip addresses these obviously continually change. its something ive been quite vocal about for a long time.

Althoug distance does play a factor the fact is just because you get matched with say a french session  doesnt mean you would've gotten a better session if you got matched with a uk session. It all comes down to ping and what sessions were open at the time the search to matchmake was carried out.

ge0rdiemark wrote:

Once he was host (OUR Router, distance 1 m ping 0) and he had a half lobby, I did a search game best and it did not find his game because all players in that game were low KD noobs.

from a matchmaking point of view your data doesn't travel locally, it would go to the matchmaking server then back to your sons console. The round trip of that meant there was better sessions for you, whatever peoples feelings are about matchmaking its main aim is to place you in the best session it can find.

In my own experience in League play I face more masters then anything else. which is what I want to see

• 344. Re: The Lag!!!!
    biron_w

Maybe that's the whole problem then.

Each bit such be weighted differently. With connection taking priority.

Whatever way it's done I still think matchmaking is broken in this game and that's the main reason why people have problems.

For instance I live in the UK and when I play other shooters, even other COD games, I will be put into lobbies with mainly UK players. In this game I can sometimes be put into lobbies with NO UK players. Even at peak times. I refuse to believe that a lobby with players from 8 different EU countries will have a better connection than a lobby with mainly UK players in it.

• 345. Re: The Lag!!!!
    raredesign

I am assuming that there was an update made within the past two weeks. I have tried all hours, and it does not make a difference. I can't even see the opposing teammates anymore, and many of my teammates skip around from data loss or something. My internet connection is fine though, and I am made host probably 70% of games I have played.

I don't understand what they did recently, but it is unplayable, and I will just move on to the new Injustice game until it's fixed.

• 346. Re: The Lag!!!!
    ge0rdiemark

Nail head hit. Especially when the lobby with italian players has guys with 2 bars in it.

Also look at all the 200 + you tubers who abuse SNMM, a bit of reverse boosting, get a friend with 0.2 KD and search for games - get lobbies with 8 year old kids who dont aim and bingo...a you tube vid of the beast

Reverse boosting would not happen if connection was weighted as heavily as it should be...

And in London with optical fibre playing solo with 15 ms ping to most servers in southern UK EVERYBODY should have 4 bars in my lobby of bog standard TDM.

At peak times there should be 100's of games all with 4 bar, but no, you are too good a player, have some 2 bars from Italy...

• 347. Re: The Lag!!!!
    SeraphOne

Agree with you, also in london and looking at the lobby in game, there are constant fluctuations in bars. Previous cods had lag, but nothing like this

• 348. Re: The Lag!!!!
    N00bsHateMe

if you freeze then die, you've been lag switched. nothing they can do about someone owning illegal software that isn't part of their game.

• 349. Re: The Lag!!!!
    Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I'm not well versed in lag switching but isn't most methods of lag switching uses homebrew hardware rather than a software? 

1 33 34 35 36 37 Previous Next