45 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2013 9:34 AM by Izjar11 RSS

The Quitter!

Izjar11

COD

 

Picture this. 

 

Your team has taken the lead, your powering down the home stretch, and microseconds from the finish, DING! Disconnected! Your opponent would rather switch off their system than let anyone else win. You know that victory is yours, but a big part of gaming is how your brains pleasure center can be remote controlled by a four-cent sound chip. Not finishing isn't just frustrating, its long distance blue balling.

 

Winning doesn't mean anything if its not possible to lose, but "not meaning anything" is these a---holes entire life strategy. They're trying to create a positive experience for themselves at the expense of others.

 

The problem is so endemic that every online game is now defined by whether it punishes disconnecters. If it doesn't, it sucks, because its impossible to win. Which means modern games have to work out how to be fun, administer millions of simultaneous connections, and engineer a way to punish snowflakes so bubble wrapped that they cant even handle losing at make-believe!

  • Re: The Quitter!
    mymorningkill

    Izjar11 wrote:

     

    snowflakes so bubble wrapped that they cant even handle losing at make-believe!

    Rofl!

     

    Yup. This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy "just for playing" in youth atheletic leagues.

     

    Thanks, modern society. You're the best...

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      mymorningkill wrote:

       

      Izjar11 wrote:

       

      snowflakes so bubble wrapped that they cant even handle losing at make-believe!

      Rofl!

       

      Yup. This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy "just for playing" in youth atheletic leagues.

       

      Thanks, modern society. You're the best...

      The truth will set us free

    • Re: The Quitter!
      zvers

      So true and sad at the same time....

    • Re: The Quitter!
      azn_chic

      mymorningkill wrote:

       

      Yup. This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy "just for playing" in youth atheletic leagues.

       

      Thanks, modern society. You're the best...

       

      Even the fat kid that sits on the bench the whole game?!? SMH

  • Re: The Quitter!
    TheBeastlyDude

    It's not really that they can't handle losing, it's that they don't know how. The failed experiment that is political correctness worries so much about how people feel in certain situations that they do not take into account that the adverse effects of feelings in certain situations is what actually makes us human.

     

    Take into account this game. Everyone loves winning. It's a good feeling. Our society believes everyone should be able to experience this and rightfully, they should. However, what they forget to teach this new generation is that winning comes from hard work and not participation, as mymorningkill points out. Even COD gives participation experience if you stay in a losing game. The conclusion of a game of Call of Duty, though,  there are only two outcomes, winning and losing. Since these snowflakes haven't really ever loss before, they don't know how to be good losers. This is where the trolls come from. If they can't win the game, then they can try to win the "Who can be an annoying troll" game.

     

    Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do nor is there anything that COD can do. They can make probation stricter but those whiny, little brats will just come here and complain about how their parents spent their hard earned money to buy them a game that will babysit them and not to have their bundles of brathood sit on probation for 5 minutes. Seriously, these parents aren't willing to ground Little Johnny from the PS3 for the dirty mouth that they have so who is Treyarch to stick these brats on probation?

     

    Ok, I am done here. In the end, these kids all need to be smacked around, bullied and need to climb a tree and fall out of it and get banged up. Most of us adults did it and we turned out fine.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      TheBeastlyDude wrote:

       

      This is where the trolls come from. If they can't win the game, then they can try to win the "Who can be an annoying troll" game.

       

      Ok, I am done here. In the end, these kids all need to be smacked around, bullied and need to climb a tree and fall out of it and get banged up. Most of us adults did it and we turned out fine.

      Your response is great TBD thanks. These two ideas caught my attention, the fact that not everyone can win is normal, but they do exactly as you described become trolls. Its strange, after many hours of gaming (offline) losing and winning has taught me to take it as it is, no one can show you how to lose, you teach yourself that.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      zvers

      "Most of us adults did it and we turned out fine. "

       

      Exactly. <left eye twitch>

    • Re: The Quitter!
      akilleez86

      TheBeastlyDude wrote:

       

      these kids...need to climb a tree and fall out of it and get banged up.

       

      Montage video, please.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    ProfessionalPoster

    I'm so used to the entire enemy team quitting on me that when it doesn't happen I'm pleasantly surprised.

     

    The people that run their mouths before the match and then back out while their getting smacked bother me. Other than that its just become part of the game

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      ProfessionalPoster wrote:

       

      I'm so used to the entire enemy team quitting on me that when it doesn't happen I'm pleasantly surprised.

       

      The people that run their mouths before the match and then back out while their getting smacked bother me. Other than that its just become part of the game

      So quitting has become synonymous of winning? haha I guess thats true,.

      • Re: The Quitter!
        ProfessionalPoster

        If you honestly look at it, it pretty much has. When I'm having a really good game rarely does it happen against the same 6 that started the game. I posted a video on my channel a while ago where I went like 65-2 or something like that agaisnt 3 different teams in the same game. First team quit after I called in my first swarm, a whole new team joined and left after they saw I had a Swarm and then a 3rd team came in that I got another set of Lodestar/K9/Swarm against.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    dmac2929

    may I just say it is refreshing to read a forum post of maturity, complete thought process, respectful replies, and overall intelligence. Thank you, as I read this I was reminded of the days B.C4 ( Before COD4)

  • Re: The Quitter!
    MrZombieClowns

    There are a select few people still out there that know not what they do. For the longest time a buddy of mine would just hit the power button on the ps3 when he was finished. It didn't matter if he was doing well and his wife yelled, "Dinner!" or if he was doing poorly and was simply done. At least he is aware not to do that anymore.

     

    I may be in the minority here, but I often welcome quitters. Most matches I'm involved in will contain at least one host migration. Whether my team is winning or losing, chances are the match will be different; for better or worse. I often will blame "connection" to one another on who wins and loses. When the connection is reset, so is the game in my opinion.

     

    If I am playing TDM and there is one or more people that are 5-30 k/d for example, QUIT! Just don't ruin it for everyone else by dashboarding.

     

    I've quit a few games, about half of them did a host migration before letting me leave.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    saxon_

    rof

  • Re: The Quitter!
    iHuntU

    Sometimes quitting isn't because of rage. Sometimes, life interrupts. I've quite games that I desperately wanted to finish because I was needed elsewhere right away. I have other responsibilities at home that demand immediate attention and cannot wait. It happens.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      iHuntU wrote:

       

      Sometimes quitting isn't because of rage. Sometimes, life interrupts. I've quite games that I desperately wanted to finish because I was needed elsewhere right away. I have other responsibilities at home that demand immediate attention and cannot wait. It happens.

      There is quitting (on select few occasions) then there are QUITTERS (those who quit because they prefer to do it, and allot).

       

      I am not asking for anyone's explanation if they do it or not, this is my opinion on the subject matter.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    ae_gs

    The worst part is that it gives you a loss while you are winning and it ends your win streak.  This is another reason why I do not like this game.  I have only gotten to an 88 win streak in hardpoint because someone quit and ended the game.  Back in the older games if the host left and if you were winning you got a win.  The same logic needs to be brought back.  In MW3 I was always on a several hundred win streak because I rarely lost.  I had over 9,000 wins and for one of the monthly leaderboards I had over an 800 wlr.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    onlyzeone

    I have quit about 95% of games in the last two days. I will also continue to do it.

     

    The game has been unplayable for me the last two days. I have been on to my service provider, re-connected all leads, changed settings on router(and changed them back). It is still the exact same.

     

    I have complained about connection before but it has been nothing in comparison to what it is like at the moment. I will xmb out of all crappy connection games.

     

    I will continue to do this. There are many reasons for quitting, lots of them have nothing to do with being beaten by other players.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      onlyzeone wrote:

       

      I have quit about 95% of games in the last two days. I will also continue to do it.

       

      The game has been unplayable for me the last two days. I have been on to my service provider, re-connected all leads, changed settings on router(and changed them back). It is still the exact same.

       

      I have complained about connection before but it has been nothing in comparison to what it is like at the moment. I will xmb out of all crappy connection games.

       

      I will continue to do this. There are many reasons for quitting, lots of them have nothing to do with being beaten by other players.

      nothing personal vs you but I hope the system bans you for longer periods.

      • Re: The Quitter!
        onlyzeone

        Nope, all I do is reset timer, fiddle with router, try something new, then switch to a league game. When that connection is still pathetic I'll quit that. Probation is now up on ordinary games, so I'll try that again. If connection crap, I'll quit that, probation, back to league.

         

        I will not sit out a game or keep playing a game where everything freezes and judders along at different rates continuously. As I said, it has been like this for the last two days, before that I was enjoying myself.

        • Re: The Quitter!
          onlyzeone

          One thing different I have noticed is that I used to be in games where 11/12 players were on 4 bars.

           

          Now only one third of the players have 4 bars in the lobbies I play. The rest vary between shite and pure shite

        • Re: The Quitter!
          Izjar11

          onlyzeone wrote:

           

          Nope, all I do is reset timer, fiddle with router, try something new, then switch to a league game. When that connection is still pathetic I'll quit that. Probation is now up on ordinary games, so I'll try that again. If connection crap, I'll quit that, probation, back to league.

           

          I will not sit out a game or keep playing a game where everything freezes and judders along at different rates continuously. As I said, it has been like this for the last two days, before that I was enjoying myself.

          Again, nothing vs you at all you seem to be a stand up guy. But I have 0 tolerance for quitters, its only a video game, nothing is real nor valued. Staying in the match, (even when things aren't as you want) is and should be normal!

           

          Put it this way, we all deal with something, anything not all of us QUIT out of a mood.

          • Re: The Quitter!
            onlyzeone

            I am trying to fix whatever is to blame for this.

             

            I would not say I quit out of a mood, if the connection is bad enough I will quit, whether I am winning or losing.

             

            I know what you are saying but I don't agree with you on this.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      MrZombieClowns

      95%?

       

      That's a high percentage. I hope that's only for an hours worth of attempted game play. If it's for multiple hours on any given day, might I suggest some MW3.

       

      When I play BO2 for a bit, say 10 matches tops, and I can't get in a good match to save my life; I switch to MW3 and enjoy the pace and generally do well. I find some 2v2 or 3v3 a welcomed change of pace from the constant explosions and gunfire etc.

      • Re: The Quitter!
        onlyzeone

        That would be the logical thing to do, I'm just a dog with a bone when things go bad.

         

        I have had bad connection before, every time I play there are going to be some games in which the connection is awful but this continuos issue is leading me to believe the problem is on my side and I am trying everything available to try and solve it, to no avail so far.

        • Re: The Quitter!
          MrZombieClowns

          I used to believe the problem could be on my side as well. I discovered a bit of line noise in one of my cable lines years ago. I went out and replaced everything (cable and Internet related) in my home. New coaxial cabling, amplifier, splitter, modem, router, cat5 cabling, Filters etc. Dedicated one line (un-amplified) strictly for the modem. Of course, I also optimized all the router settings every which way.

           

          I spent a decent chunk of change. I believed I would have awesome Internet after all these changes.

           

          I didn't.

           

          Another tidbit to remember. This whole online gaming thing is still in its infancy. It will get better.

          • Re: The Quitter!
            onlyzeone

            Lol, yeah, you sound like me now.

             

            Online gaming will get better?..... mmmm.... hopefully is all I can say. My biggest problem with that statement(not you), is that it used to be better.

            • Re: The Quitter!
              MrZombieClowns

              Some online gaming has gotten better.

               

              MW3 for example. There are less and less people playing it, therefore less and less people obsessively making their connection better or worse.

               

              Once GHOSTS is released, BO2 will play better.

              • Re: The Quitter!
                onlyzeone

                What you are saying is probably true but I would like to know the technological logic behind that. I thought with more people playing, a person is more likely to have competitors from an area close to you making a more stable connection. For instance the connection in Arms Race was way worse than TDM core, I put this down to less players, probably wrong though.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    WolfRidge

    Same principle as kids who take their football home when they're getting beat,Younger gamers by nature are notorious bad loosers, but life teaches us about win/loss.

     

    If they are depriving themselves of learning the lesson now then that's their problem, but they will learn it eventually.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      WolfRidge wrote:

       

      Same principle as kids who take their football home when they're getting beat,Younger gamers by nature are notorious bad loosers, but life teaches us about win/loss.

       

      If they are depriving themselves of learning the lesson now then that's their problem, but they will learn it eventually.

      Same principle indeed wolf.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    ImTheCaTaLysT-

    I'm never host because my NAT is strict, but if I ever have a game where my team is going 0-20, 1-42 (seriously, yesterday a guy on dom hijacked went 1-42) 4-19, and 9-28, im going to tip a big middle finger to my team and leave. It's almost never that i dont like what the other team is doing, after all, they are only getting kills, but if im 42-5 and my team has less kills than I have deaths, I know something is wrong. I'm not having fun by trying to win and having my team (sometimes purposefully) lose. If i'm not having fun, I quit. and If i ever was host, then sorry to the other team. But i will not stand for 11 year olds who think it is funny to let the other team get a swarm in the first 90 seconds.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

    Another tidbit to remember. This whole online gaming thing is still in its infancy. It will get better.

    I disagree.  The technology is there.  The issue is not enough resources are williingly comitted to solve the problem.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    RemoteViewer187

    I agree that it's not ideal to have enemy players quit when they are losing, but it's part of the game.

     

    You know that it's a possibility, and you must accept that when you decide to play.

     

    So what of they are brats who don't like to lose? Get over it, the enemy backed out and you didn't get to finish a match...

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      RemoteViewer187 wrote:

       

      I agree that it's not ideal to have enemy players quit when they are losing, but it's part of the game.

       

      You know that it's a possibility, and you must accept that when you decide to play.

       

      So what of they are brats who don't like to lose? Get over it, the enemy backed out and you didn't get to finish a match...

      I would agree its normal, but its not. There is something about BO2 and this group of players that have created a bigger issue. Been playing since COD4 and I have never, never seen so much quitting before. Theres a reason, im just not sure its entirely the games fault but the community who play.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    Thembones

    Games unplayable now. Not sure why but today I got put into a lobby with French peeps. Was playing TLOU earlier with Frenchies too no lag. Tried playing BO2 was horrible. Had to just eject my game it was pointless to continue.

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Izjar11

      Thembones wrote:

       

      Games unplayable now. Not sure why but today I got put into a lobby with French peeps. Was playing TLOU earlier with Frenchies too no lag. Tried playing BO2 was horrible. Had to just eject my game it was pointless to continue.

      If any game is unplayable then discontinue playing. If your frustrated stop! Play something else, or just take a break from it.

      • Re: The Quitter!
        Thembones

        I hadn't played BO2 since I got TLOU. And before I stoped playing I had to finish up LSAT camo challanges. So it kept bugging me that I could just finish them like nothing. But tried playing and it was down right bad.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    InstantOG

    Happens during the best games too.

  • Re: The Quitter!
    Izjar11

    COD

     

    I have seen a decrease in quitting with less players online (great thing). I am glad that less and less people are doing so.

     

    I wanted to bring about a game I played in DOM, in a nutshell our team (random's) were winning the first round by about less than 40 points. Second round starts the enemy begin mounting a glorious comeback, taking flags, streaks, you name. And the inevitable happens, you lose control.

     

    To my surprise and enjoyment, no one in my TEAM quit. We played, we took back one flag then the B flag, few streaks here and there and we pulled the win!

     

    Despite the fact the enemy had two vsats and a loadstar and spawn killing us, we stuck around and WON. The game was great, the enemy congratulated us, saying good game guys.

     

    Point in mention DO NOT QUIT, stay lose and or FIGHT to the win. FIGHT COD gamer FIGHT!

    • Re: The Quitter!
      Else_Andrew

      I love it when the team at the end says "Good job" and people on your team return the compliment, it happens a lot in League,  when all of your team quits and you're the only one left, but they say good job anyway and thanks for sticking around and so on.

       

      Good feeling I like these COD Players it's such a shame most of the community have the mentality of a goldfish.

      • Re: The Quitter!
        Izjar11

        Else_Andrew wrote:

         

        I love it when the team at the end says "Good job" and people on your team return the compliment, it happens a lot in League,  when all of your team quits and you're the only one left, but they say good job anyway and thanks for sticking around and so on.

         

        Good feeling I like these COD Players it's such a shame most of the community have the mentality of a goldfish.

        Im starting to believe the game really is not meant for all those players, they have been weeding out the quitters, the ones who can't deal with losing, the ones who cannot adapt. This game will go down as a good game, the problem is that it takes time to understand its mechanics (with or without bad connection)