11 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 11:05 AM by RunAndGun1 RSS

Stop making me the Host

RunAndGun1

Until the developers figure out they need to run COD on dedicated servers, I will forever get screwed out of decent gameplay whenever I am made the host of a match. There is enough lag as is by simply being an online multiplayer game. My gameplay suffers immensely when I am made the host. It just doesn't make sense to keep playing. I can tell almost immediately when I'm the host. People seem to be able to magically out run my bullets. And there's a clear lag between pulling the trigger and actually seeing my weapon respond.

But what would REALLY help aside from all that, is removing prone and knife from the sticks. Let ME decide which button to put knife or prone on. I would consider getting involved with the championship games if I could play knowing I can choose to have or not have prone or knife. It's too frustrating for words. Only expletives come to mind when prone and knife interferes with my game. Which is ALL the time.

• Re: Stop making me the Host
    bkblazer

Yeah, host blows for me as well. It enrages me sometimes. Thing that gets me is some players say they still have a clear advantage as host. I guess it just comes down to the other players connections in the game at the time.

RunAndGun1

I think those people work for the game developer. I've never ever had a decent game in any version of COD when I've been the host.

Today, as host, I shot a player nearly point blank with the 870 Shotgun equipped with Long Barrel. And he not only survived the shot but killed me. I'm sorry, but that is total nonsense.

Although, knowing that COD: Ghosts will be played on the next gen consoles, I have high hopes for that version of the game. However, I'm not getting in line for the next Treyarch version of COD. After BO1 and BO2, I have no more faith in Treyarch. I don't think they have a clue of what they're doing. With the experiences I'm having with BO2 I plan on taking a break from playing it. It's just not fun anymore.

bkblazer

I also have high hopes for the new CoD's on the next gen consoles. Pretty sure its gonna be on a new CoD engine. That could make all the difference.

Even though Bo and BO2 are my least favorite CoD's, there are three things that will keep me buying Treyarchs games. WaW is my favorite, their campaigns, and zombies.

RunAndGun1

Yea, I loved the W@W maps. Which is why I've been annoyed by the shrinking of the maps by Treyarch since W@W. I had a few matches with over 50 kills on W@W. Whereas now, I'm lucky if I get close to 20 kills in a match. Yea, I'm your average player. But it's no coincidence that my KDR has tanked since then. Given that my connection has improved several fold since W@W, I know my connection is not the issue, contrary to what some have suggested was the reason for my fading KDR. Also given the fact that I'm made Host on a lot of matches. And they only make you host if your connection is superior to the other players in the lobby.

I'm hoping they'll use the higher technology of the next gen consoles to make bigger maps. The spawning will just be another part of the game. Unlike now, where the spawning is so bad that the game is more about surviving after spawning then approaching a match from a strategic standpoint. Which is what made COD fun for me.

trialstardragon

Having host can be advantageous and no those who claim it do not work for 3arc and are not shills here on the forums. If I have host and most of the lobby is local.. I am a god and kill before even being seen. If the lobby is full of people from further away, I am screwed and barely can get a kill sometimes.

IndyOldGuy

getting the drop on someone, firing first, then instantly dying, watching the killcam only to see you didnt even fire at all, instead just stood there like a dork, irritates me more than death streaks...lol

ge0rdiemark

Yep, another host dis advantage discussion, I have same experience.

Host enemies are 5 ft closer to me than I see and have lots of time to aim, muck around and shoot, I see it as they have super human reactions and can barely pull the trigger.

Some say being host gives an advantage in BO2 - simple question then, why so many host migrations and half completed games.

Its bacause the host gives up, they leave as they feel they have no fair chance in gun fights.

In BO1 host was god mode, funnily enough every BO1 game seemed to finish, and best player always had 4 bars. Strange eh ?

3arc, give host an equal playing field, you never know, we mayb have games without the usual 3-4 host migrations.... =

sniperx79

As a player you should have more influence if you want to be the host or not. I have played CoD BO 2 over 200 hours now online and it seems cute determibal if there will be host migration or if the match will end because of no reasonable hosts.

Why shouldn't you add a 'request' button for host migration and why can it take so long before you can get back to the lobby; because you're sometimes stuck in a loading screen whilst there are no good hosts available. The call of duty developers SHOULD add more options for advanced Call of Duty players in terms of connections (for example only look for matches if the ping is lower than 35 m/s).

However this goal hasn't been achieved so far and again with this the CoD developers should communicate more with us in order to make the game better.

Why shouldn't you add polls as a developer on the main call of duty site in order to make the game better?  If you decrease the distance between the developer and the player than the player might find the game more rewarding and he will be willing to pay more 4 the game and it might increase the status of the CoD developers in general.

reallegit69

The other players basically feed off the hosts' connection.

RunAndGun1

"The other players basically feed off the hosts' connection."

This has been admitted to me in a support chat a few weeks ago. That's why I laugh when people try to pretend that hosts don't experience a compromised match because they're host.

The host is chosen based on who has the best connection. So when people tell me my gaming experience is due to my connection quality I know they're nuts. I'm made the host a majority of the time. Hence, my connection is clearly better then most.

I could get higher scores if I was in a match from the beginning. But I mostly prefer to join a match AFTER it's started because I know I won't be the host, and I'll have a better experience. Whenever there's a host migration during a match, I think about whether or not I want to stay in the match or not. Because I know there's a good chance I'll be made the host, hence my gameplay will suffer.