Flak Jacket is OP

TreezNSteez

It needs a nerf, badly.

Flak Jacket should protect you from the following:

Claymore

Grenades

Rocket Launchers

Thats it.

How does a jacket protect you if you are standing right next to a car that is blown up with c4?

How does a jacket protect you from a hellstorm thats right on top of you?

How does a jacket protect you from an rpg that hits you straight in the face? Does flak jacket come with a flak helmet too?

It should only protect from minor explosions, not massive ones like scorestreaks or blown up vehicles. Can we please be realistic for once?

Anyone else agree?

• Re: Flak Jacket is OP
    XxDrDeatxX

Totally agree but nothing will be done!

COOOORY12345678

I have been killed by blown up cars and RPGs at my feet with flak jacket, so i think its kind of inconsistant

NotablePie

try hardcore

i get blown out of my boots by even normal grenades that aren't even that close it seems

Noob_Lyncher

Flak Jacket is only OP for people with no gun skill. Just learn how to shoot your gun and you'll be fine.

nicedrewishfela

So... a perk doing what it is supposed to do makes it OP?

It costs a point to use, and you have to sacrifice something else in order to use it. So there is no issue.

KoRny1

^no logic

Yes, Flack Jacket is supposed to reduced the damage from explosions, but the argument is that it seems to do its job too well, or better than intended.

Your comment suggests a trait of infalibility on Treyarch's part, as if they are above accidently making a perk unbalanced.

It costs a point to use, sure, but it's like you're really getting 2-3 points for the price of one by picking it.

Flack Jacket should protect against Claymore, Frags, and C4...but when it also protects from killstreaks like Predator Missles, Lodestars, Killer Drones, and Lightning Strikes...then one perk starts stealing thunder from other perks like Blind Eye and Cold Blooded.

I myself don't think Flack Jacket is all that special seeing as how the things it protects you from seem to be random (sometimes claymore blowing up in your face will STILL kill you, but sometimes it won't) but the fact that you can't see the point of the Original Poster's argument is not good.

nicedrewishfela

How is there no logic?

"Take less explosive damage."

— Create-A-Class Description.

Flak Jacket returns as a Tier 1 perk in Call of Duty: Black Ops II and can be found by using the Access Kit on certain levels in the campaign such as "Pyrrhic Victory" and "Suffer with Me". The effects of Flak Jacket are identical to its Black Ops counterpart, which makes explosives do less damage to the player. All explosives do 35% of their original damage to people with the Flak Jacket perk (20% in Hardcore)[1], though it does not help against the user's own explosives, including cars triggered to explode.

Source- http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Flak_Jacket

The point of the perk is to lessen Explosive Damage, it doesn't specify what the explosions are from. My only point was, the perk does it's job. Nowhere did I say Treyarch was infallible. YOU decided to insert that to twist my opinion.

From my experience, Flak Jacket isn't OP. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and that is to protect the user from explosive damage. It is a counter to those who rely heavily on explosives for kills.

What people don't consider is the range and strength of the explosive. The Flak user may be far enough away from the epicenter of the blast to survive because of the protection. I know EVERYONE thinks they are 100% percent accurate... but perhaps that wasn't the case. Perhaps the projectile landed far enough away and the user didn't get the full blast of the damage. The Damage modifier of  Flak Jacket may save that user's life in that scenario. Or they may be far enough away from the explosion of a vehicle for it not to be fatal, or at the edge of a Lightning Strike where they may not take enough damage to die.

My only point was the perk does what it is supposed to. In my experience, it is a non-issue. If the explosives don't work, just beat them in a gun battle, if they took damage from the explosive, they are all that much easier to take out.  If your opponent is running this perk, avoid using explosives against them as it will not be as effective.

Just like every other perk or weapon, it has it's ups and downs and is up to the user to decide what works for them.

Don't use my reply to twist my words to further your agenda.

KoRny1

It's almost like you have no reading comprehension skills.

After two posts by you, (one of them being a short essay) you have still somehow managed to completely miss the OP's point(and mine).

Some of your comments make me think you didn't even read parts of my post.

nicedrewishfela

What the heck are you talking about? It doesn't differentiate between lethal equipment or Scorestreaks, IT PROTECTS YOU FROM EXPLOSIONS.

I am not sure what you aren't getting here. I can read your complaints just fine, but the argument doesn't make any sense to me.

An explosion.. is an explosion... is an explosion. It gives you a 35% damage modifier. How am I missing the point of anything? I am stating facts.I haven't experienced an issue with Flak Jacket.

I don't think you are actually reading what I am saying, and you are just trying (and failing miserably) to insult me for some ungodly reason. Heck the guy below me called the OP a Mongoloid and you are on my case for stating facts. Sheesh.

KoRny1

we all understand that the perk is Supposed to reduce explosive damage by 35%(thanks for the specifics) the Point I'm trying to convey here is that in actual gameplay, that doesn't seem to be the case. It feels very inconsistant.

If a claymore's max damage is 135%+ of a players total health, it should kill them every time, whether they have FJ or not, but if its max damage is less than 135% of total health, than the player should always survive if using FJ with no current damage lost.

That said, why does a claymore blowing up in my face kill me sometimes, but not always?

Why does a grenade with the throw back symbol up, kill me sometimes, but not always?

my point is that the perk is glitchy.

The OP's point is that however much damage certain explosives do, if Flack Jacket reduces it enough to be able to survive a direct hit from a rocket or missile, then it needs to be rebalanced/reworked.

pfcsmooth

Hello!!! It also cost me a point to have RPG's. It costs a point to have Claymore's/Bettie's. Why should your one point Perk allow you to walk through a mine (1 point) and an RPG (1point) and kill me? Is your 1 point worth more thna my 2 points? I think not.

LuisHammett

Here's the thing: Please explain me how hard it is to kill someone with a Claymore? Or a Bettie? You just drop it and pray for someone without flak jacket to walk straight to your equipment. The RPG takes effort, and, if you shoot to the ground, you WILL kill anybody with Flak.

amathyx

stop being a mongoloid that relies on explosives

NoLifeKing29

I would like to see it buffed so it can survive one explosive consistently in HC. As of now its really not worth using in HC.

gallp13

Don't use it. 

Kill those that do.

Dont care

JKG1989TFK

No its not it does what it says it will perfectly protect against explosives.

A straight RPG or grenade launcher will kill any flak user no matter what .

Its perfect for an objective player like me cant cap whit out a few grenades coming my way.

Joco3000

Flak Jacket users can be killed by the following:

Any and all explosive killstreaks if they are close enough (RCXD has to touch I believe)

Direct Impact RPGs/SMAWs

Multiple Exlposives at once

Possibly also a C4 direct hit, I'm not sure.

Anyway, the perk is fine. I get killed with it on by explosives fairly often.

(Lol, realism in  CoD)

vims1990

TreezNSteez wrote:

How does a jacket protect you from an rpg that hits you straight in the face? Does flak jacket come with a flak helmet too?

Both of these are not true.

If a hellstorm missle aims right on top of you, you're dead regardless of whether you use FJ or not.

Direct hits by RPG's and SMAWs kills a player with FJ instantly.

I wouldn't mind seeing some footage of what you stated above though.

JKG1989TFK

I shot a flak user while he had a riot shield directly whit an rpg an it was an instant kill.

Think about that 2 layers of protection an it still killed if anything the riot shield needs a buff an flak needs more consistency.

KoRny1

Flack Jacket saves people from explosive killstreaks...but sometimes it doesn't

It also saves people from regular explosive equipment...but sometimes it doesn't

before anyone makes a solid argument about how balanced the perk is, they first need to fix it so that it at least works properly.

Right now Flack Jacket is too much of a gamble to justify using it. Even while using it I still end up playing as if I don't have it, just because I can't trust it to work all the time.

Kylaeris

You just have no idea how explosives work.  Each explosive has a blast radius, i.e. a circle that the explosive will do damage in.  The different "rings" of each blast radius do different damage.  If you're standing on top of a grenade that goes off, it does more damage than if you're on the very edge of the blast radius.

Flak Jacket isn't broken at all.  You just don't understand the game mechanics.

ItzOnlyBubbles

This flak has been nerfed compared to the flak in bo1

blb128

If you want a game with no protection from explosives then go play MW2. That was one of that games many flaws. Thank god the developers have learned since then.

Flak jacket is fine. It does not protect you from killstreaks like you claim. I die from hunter killers all the time. If I survive a hellstorm missle or something its because im smart enough to hug a wall or building not because I run flak jacket.

iivrruummii

Flak Jacket needs to be buffed because I die by one claymore in HC when I haven't taken any damage previously.

CR4IG

I keep dying from RPG's in Core search even if they are two feet to the side, still run it all the time mind you but when I do die from a single blast it does my head right in, imo it should really be able to protect you from a single blast of any non scorestreak explosion.

iivrruummii

I hate how OP Flak Jacket was in BO1, but at this point I would rather have BO1's FJ to save me from all explosives, LOL.  Not to my knowledge, they haven't change any perks except for Hardwired.  It is about time they start balancing out some of the other perks.

parnezzi

if you learned how to shoot then you wouldn't notice flak jacket, i know i don't

darkrangeresp

Flak Jacket isn't overpowerd,  however, it sometimes seems that way do to the way the game calculates explosive damage.  First of all, as some of the other poster put it, flak jacket reduces explosive damage by 65%. or 2/3rds.  This means for an explosive to kill somebody with flak jacket it has to do 300+ damage to kill them at full health.  Most of the hand explosives, c4, bettis, claymore, grendades do around 250 to 275 at their center which means the user survives, which is the point of the perk.  Now, as you get away from the center the damage drops to 2/3s about 1/3rd of the way out from the center and 1/3rd at about 2/3rds away from the center.

For example let's say a grenade does 225 damage at it's center with a 6 meter blast raidus.  This means that if I am within 2 meters of the grenade I take 225 damage. If I am between 2 meters and 4 meteres I take 150 and if I am 4 to 6 meters I takes 75.  Beyond that I am out of the radius and take nothing.  Most hand ordinace explosives have a blast radius around 4 to 8 meters.  Most score streaks have a blast radius of 10 to 12 meteres and usually deal 300 to 500 damage at center to ensure a kill against flak jacket with a direct hit.   The problem you have is a lag compensation one not the perk being overpowered. Let me explain.

Have you ever had one of those instances where you shoot another player 3 to 4 times with a 3 to 4 hit kill weapon and they don't die.  Instead they shoot you once and you die instantly?  Wel, what actually happened there was on their system, they killed you before you fired your first shot. However, since your system is a half a second behind them, the host mashes what you both did together, it kills you and wounds them.  It sucks somewhat, but that is the fairest way to deal with the lag between players in the game. Drifter actually did a pretty good video explaining all this.   Treyarche actually did a pretty good job with it in this game compared to some of their earlier titles.

Now explosives work a little differently. Since explosives cover an area it would be a complicated mess to mash realities between up to 12 people.  So, instead Treyarche simply decided that if you get blown up, your reality decides where you are relative to the explosive and determins if you live or die.  Since it's not precise damage like bullets, lag comp isn't as important.  However, just like with the lag issue above, if you are half a second behind somebody else, that is enough time for them to be 4 or 5 steps away from where they appear on your screen.  This is enough of a difference that while they appear to be dead center on your screen, they are actually far enough away to take the minimun outer ring damage on theirs. 

Now, if as you suggest we nerf flak jacket to fix this, you would have to cut it's base protection from 65% down to about 50% in reduction. However, since the claymore and betties deal over 200 damage at their center, they would kill flak jacket users in one hit.  The main purpose of the perk is to allow the players to survive the mines at full health and attack somebody camping behind them.  If you weaken flak jacket that much it would make several of the explosives over powered.  To counter this, you could nerf the base damage on some of the explosives to keep flak jacket users alive at 50% reduction.  However, then some players without flak jacket would also survive them, which would cost you more explosive kills in the long run.

I think your complaint does have some merit, however the point to this post of mine is to explain that nerfing flak jacket would cause more problems than it would solve.  As you originally said there are certain explosives it should allow you to survive.  Your issue seems to be that players are surviving score streaks when they shouldn't.  Your argument should be that those streaks need a damage buff, not that the perk needs a nerf.  Adding 100 damage to the base of any of them would likely do the trick.  However, developers are more often better off leaving well enough alone.

Bottom line, if your opponent is using flak jacket, you need to kill them with bullets instead of bombs.

strablind

Flak is not OP, but using C4 without using the detonator is. If Flak and Trophy system was in MW2 the game would be so much more balanced.

Hamster123

This is something I don't understand, shock charges are now pretty much useless because when one goes off you turn and fire at an enemy covering his eyes. He shoots at the ground still with 1 hand covering his eyes and gets a kill, almost every time but looking at the killcam he is never covering his eyes he is always firing with both hands on the gun straight at you. Now I can understand lag when you are running and your box may be behind you so you don't get around a corner but how is this happening with shock charges?

740UKills

Realistic? Hmm, last I checked, this was a game, so no.

Flak Jacket is fine the way it is. Try using your gun next time.

SitRepPro

TreezNSteez wrote:

It needs a nerf, badly.

Flak Jacket should protect you from the following:

Claymore

Grenades

Rocket Launchers

Thats it.

How does a jacket protect you if you are standing right next to a car that is blown up with c4?

It should only protect from minor explosions, not massive ones like scorestreaks or blown up vehicles. Can we please be realistic for once?

Anyone else agree?

No.  As for realism, every sniper rifle, bolt action or semi-automatic, would be a 1HK to any area of the body, suppressed or not, and possibly have a faster ADS time too.  Are you sure you want realism?  Oh and my KSG will pick off people over 100m away.  C4s aren't tossed and they cannot be denotated by gunfire but I'm sure a lot of C4 users would hate to treat this munition like it is in real life as supposed to a glorified frag grenade, which is what we have.

Flak Jacket is given some protection against explosive damage because Scavenger resupplies and a lot of people are terribly inefficient when using lethals and have like 10 uses to 1 kill ratios and the such.  If people were more conservative about explosive usage and were better with them then some people wouldn't mind so much.

Adam1234567893

I agree on everything except the rockets and realism lol it's seriously overpowered though because it makes garbage campers invincible they either need to nerf flak jacket or slow down the health regeneration time. And no I am not saying that campers are garbage I am talking about garbage campers the players that keep getting their way and ruining call of duty games and they keep complaining and exploiting everything including the spawn system.

Steve2589

Flak Jacket is not OP at all. The speed in which you can deploy C4 is OP

osuistheshiz

Flak isnt overpowered in the least bit.

I still die from rockets to the feet or body.

I still die from lightning strikes and hellstorms.

The only time you dont die from those killstreaks is if they hit a decent distance from you.

Dying by cars blowing up seems to be hit or miss but it does happen.

zombies4lyfe

Please stop complaining about perk balance... it gets old and annoying hearing every sentence state that something is wrong with perks. I actually use flak jacket in this game because it does what its suppose to do. Remember grenades from mw3? how week they were with out blast shield? Then when you put blast shield on it seemed to do nothing? Thats poor balancing and treyarch got it right in this game. I survive 2 grenades and i like that because it allows me to be a more objective player....

But if you wana over come flak jacket users with your Super op mw2 explosives.... then just use a c4... i die every time from those even with flak jacket.