16 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 11:00 AM by iivrruummii RSS

Why is BO2 so laggy, compared to other COD games?

JackFrost1

Why is BO2 so unplayable laggy, compared to other COD games?.

BO1 had a bad netcoding (But was saved by big maps and slow run speed)

But BO2 is just totall crazy laggy. I'm so out of synch, even though I am the host 90% of the time (50 down, 20 up).

The netcoding in this game is pure garbage.

That is the reason why it's only around 40% of the amout of players online, at any given time, as oppose to MW3 last year, at the same time.

This game barely manages to get 350-400k people online, at the release of new map packs (MW3 had close to 800k). Heck, MW3 had almost a milion people online, last August.

This game is gonna is probably gonna be down to 200k in August.

The generals census about this game, no matter where you go (Official forum, youtube, metacritic and other game forums is one thing : LAG LAG LAG).

• Re: Why is BO2 so laggy, compared to other COD games?
    BallSlapper

You do realise that the host gets "punished" essentially when it comes to lag compensation?

I got absolutely destroyed tonight when I was hosting, getting shot before the other players had even appeared on my screen....

SitRepPro

I've had that a few times but I doubt it's exclusive to being host though.  It's how artifical ping is administered to every player.  But there are other issues with lag, which is why I don't go on during certain times, e.g. 4pm to 7pm weekdays.  Saturdays can be iffy too.  Guess it's players using shared connections and not having the best quality line that compound it.  Not many people are going to use a dedicated line for gaming although I do myself since I pay for it and the only user of it.

vims1990

Why is BO1 laggier than MW2?

Why is MW3 laggier than BO1?

Why is BO2 laggier than MW3?

See where I'm getting at it?

This cycle has been going on for years now. There's been lag issues in the recent COD titles. Before you say, "Oh but I didn't have lag issues in MW3"...think again.

I'm sure you can do a YouTube/Twitter/Google/COD forum search on lag with the other COD titles as well.

By next year, you'll be asking why COD Ghosts lags more than BO2.

JackFrost1

Not at all. Firstly, ALL COD games are laggier then MW2. MW2 had a GOOD netcoding. However, BO2 is something special. Yes, MW3 had some serious issues. Insane delay and getting instant killed. However, BO2 takes that miles a head. In BO2 you get killed by an enemy behind you, while you shoot at him at front.

People pop out of nowhere, instant killing you (Even if you have Orbital VSAT in the sky). MW3 was annoying (And the worst COD game in the modern series). BO2 is my second favourite COD game (After COD4), however, BO2 is also the most laggy COD game out there. The amount of laggy bullshit surpases ANY other COD game out there, combined.

Only in BO2, can you get instant killed, while pre-firing at a corner with a VSAT in the sky. (Mainly because of the ridiculous high running/strafing speed, piss poor netcoding and funky camera angle).

Will Ghosts be laggy? Probably. Unless IW manages to pull a magic bunny out of the hat, with their next gen engine. Will Ghosts be more laggy then BO2? Doubt it.

As of now, MW2 will be remembered as the best connectivity COD game (As well as the worst gameplay mechanic COD - Danger close, Noob tubes and Commando), and BO2 will be remembered as the most laggy COD game.

SitRepPro

JackFrost1 wrote:

Not at all. Firstly, ALL COD games are laggier then MW2. MW2 had a GOOD netcoding.

Probably a combination of localised matchmaking and Stopping Power.  When I play MW2 I can get nearly everyone from the UK a lot of the times but BO2 I'm usually in a mixed European lobby.

Commando wasn't all that tbh.  Both SitRep and Ninja were better but you're forgetting One Man Army.

vims1990

Well that's my point. No recent COD game has implemented a decent connectivity system as MW2

I can't technically explain why as I don't understand the mechanics that goes into designing a connectivity system but it could do with matchmaking, poor host selection or the engine itself.

An even playing field will never happen depending on where you're pinging to the host. You're either going to be ahead or behind the action.

I have the same issues as you but to be honest, it's never going to be perfect. I've stopped expecting all my games to go my way and try to deal with it.

This video may give you a better idea about BO2's connectivty.

malditor

For me, lag problems come in cycles. I'll have a few days where the game seems unplayable but then it settles down and gets better. This is usually right after a patch or update to the game. Not sure what is going on behind the scenes. The most recent patch, for example, the first day arms race came out the game ran great, yesterday I get on and start having a lot of issues with lag. Just happened to notice that the version number changed from what it was on release of the patch. No idea what they tweaked if anything to do with matchmaking or anything, but there was a significant difference in playability for me. So I'll give it another day or so to get straighted back out and start playing again.

Izjar11

JackFrost1 wrote:

Why is BO2 so unplayable laggy, compared to other COD games?.

Same thing was said since MW2. Each newer version of the game has its issues with latency and balancing it.

I firmly believe its because the majority of users are playing it making it so unstable. When you go back to the other games there are less users, less erratic connections trying to play.

stonculd

My online play for every COD can be described as inconsistent.  Some I get better connections more of the time than not, some the other way around. Obviously this depends on where the host is and if I am hosting or not. Hosting just about guarantees a laggy match. The only COD that I couldn't get at least 50% good matches on was MW3. I bought that game multiple times on Xbox, and Ps3 hoping for it getting fixed, but it never happened.  I like the maps and gameplay, but the lag was just a dealbreaker for me. Black Ops on the other side of things has been the best connection wise, with W@W being pretty good too.  I think the solution may be to start a regional game league where you play only against people who are in your city, or within a certain distance to avoid this problem, because it seems no matter what fix is introduced someone will not be happy. If you have a slow internet connection,  or live in the country just get used to the fact that online shooters are not going to work as well as for people with good internet connections that live in more populaced areas. This is how lag comp should be set up, the better the connection,  the better the ping the better the gameplay period. These games should not work good for someone tethering through their 4G connection,  or your crappy wireless internet service. This in my opinion is why people with really good pings and bandwidth are suffering, because the devs are trying to make the game work for people with bad pings, and low bandwidth so everyone is on a level playing field, but it will just never work. I also believe matchmaking also plays into this as well. I should never be dumped into a game against a bunch of guys in Georgia when I am in Portland Oregon,  but it happens all the time. This is why I brought up the idea of regional leagues,  maybe this could be a community made solution to a problem the devs cannot or will not ever be able to fix.

zingaa

BO2 is the only title I always have lag, very rarely had the problem in previous titles.

iivrruummii

The lag seems the same as it did in BO1.

jeepchick

There are multiple active threads on this topic. Do a search and contribute your thoughts to existing threads instead of making a new one on the same topic.

Claire JeepChick | Forum Moderator: Black Ops II
    Questions/Concerns/Quibbles/Comments? Send me a PM