1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 11:50 PM by biron_w Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    Foxhound-Pro

adw1983 wrote:

Display ping real time.

Warn players with packet loss.

Apply extra efforts to smooth laggers (server interpolation of laggers) -- not everyone in the lobby.

Problem freaking solved.

My thoughts are...

1. Would only serve to confuse people more and result in more disconnects. (If this happened we might as well just switch to dedicated servers and that is a terrible idea IMO.)
    2. Warning people that they have packet loss would be awesome.
    3. Laggers are going to lag. They do attempt to smooth MP for everyone though.
    4. Problem masked at best. There will still be lag. There will still be anti-lag.
  • 61. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    zingaa

i just hope next game I will have the connection I had in MW3, smooooooth

• 62. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    maccabi

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

adw1983 wrote:

Display ping real time.

Apply extra efforts to smooth laggers (server interpolation of laggers) -- not everyone in the lobby.

Problem freaking solved.

My thoughts are...

1. Would only serve to confuse people more and result in more disconnects. (If this happened we might as well just switch to dedicated servers and that is a terrible idea IMO.)
    4. Problem masked at best. There will still be lag. There will still be anti-lag.

The problem with warning people they have packet loss is ..its next to impossible to do that , as UDP (the protocol used to send updates) isn't really designed to give acks . The game is designed to cover a percentage of lost packets and to many would cause you to CI anyways.

I am also firmly in the bars not numbers camp, more people understand bars than numbers.

• 63. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    malditor

This is only marginally correct. Two people on a 4 bar are not on equal footing as many would think, whereas being able to see that I have 50 ping and the other guy has 30 ping would let me know that he will have a slight edge one me. The only thing people would need to learn is lower number = better as opposed to more bars = better connection wise.

• 64. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    maccabi

malditor wrote:

This is only marginally correct. Two people on a 4 bar are not on equal footing as many would think, whereas being able to see that I have 50 ping and the other guy has 30 ping would let me know that he will have a slight edge one me. The only thing people would need to learn is lower number = better as opposed to more bars = better connection wise.

yes but on a macro level which is how the devs how to plan, more people understand bars.

Secondly showing numbers would have a really adverse affect on players mentality.. given the amount of bad information and actualy understanding of game networking by the majority of people, even something as simple as lower ping equals better would result in people entering a lobby seeing they are on x ms and leaving assuming they could get better.

Also to use your example, that difference is so tiny you wouoldnt even actually notice it in game in a live online enviroment, theres a built in level of range in ping in an online game where its a given that the difference isnt perceptible to the player.

• 65. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    biron_w

This game lags because the match making process is completely backwards.

The devs put up some info of how it worked and it goes skill>location>ping/connection.

That to me is totally wrong. It should be ping/connection>location>skill.

Players ping/connection should be THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY when match making for an online shooter.

Skill is pretty irrelevant anyway as how well you play is totally dependant on your connection to the host.

• 66. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    malditor

Granted what I gave for numbers are rather low, but at the same tihme if the bars represent 0-100 ms then 4 bar puts a 30 and 100 on the same level. Which you can noticed 70 ms difference but to someone who sees both 4 bar will think they are even. I grant you there will be people who leave if they see they have x ms ping, but at the same time people do that if they are on a 3 bar now instead of 4 bar. I know it would be too much work to code into the game the ability to limit your available games to a max ping, but that would be ideal. I'm sure you could go into some long drawn out explaination about how that's a bad idea and people wouldn't be able to get into a game, whatever. However, if I chose to limit my game pool to games where I have 50 ms ping or less to the hose then it's my fault that if I can't find a game or it takes awhile to find one.

Again, I know that this is one of those things that won't happen, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd love for it to be an option.

• 67. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    Foxhound-Pro

maccabi wrote:

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

adw1983 wrote:

Display ping real time.

Problem freaking solved.

My thoughts are...

The problem with warning people they have packet loss is ..its next to impossible to do that , as UDP (the protocol used to send updates) isn't really designed to give acks . The game is designed to cover a percentage of lost packets and to many would cause you to CI anyways.

I am also firmly in the bars not numbers camp, more people understand bars than numbers.

Yes. I figured this because of the nature of UDP. Though I think it would be awesome IF it were possible.

• 68. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    maccabi

malditor wrote:

I'm sure you could go into some long drawn out explaination about how that's a bad idea and people wouldn't be able to get into a game,

Actually short answer the game already does this.

Granted the range might not be to everyones ideas but it does, thats why some people on asome settings wont find a session based on their location and or game mode of choice

• 69. Re: Why there is lag in Black Ops 2
    malditor

While you say the game does this, I don't agree. I said you should be able to put your own limit on ping while the game has it's own limit on ping based on your search preference. Of course if you chose a ping that is too low then you'll never find a game, but that would be your fault. At that point you increase the max ping until you start finding a game.

I know in previous CoDs the lobby would show "searching for games of x ping" or something similar and as it didn't find games it would increase the ping. Probably this is similar to what happens now except without it showing what ping range it's searching for.

I don't know what the cap is for ping range on best setting, maybe they could just lower that and I'd be happy knowing that I'm not getting put in a game where my ping to host is above 65 ms or whatnot.

1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next