19 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 12:10 PM by StualuLadykilla RSS

Dedicated servers are for adults

RunAndGun1

...but not for COD apparently.

With dedicated servers:

1. If I experience lag, it won't be because there's a crappy host for the match. It will be MY problem.

2. It won't matter how many players are online and have the same map pack that determines how much lag I experience.

3. It shows that the game developers actually RESPECT their customers.

I get it. They want to pump out a new COD iteration every year. It brings in millions and millions of dollars. And I'm betting the best way to meet that schedule is to make smaller maps that don't require a lot of attention and beta testing before being released.

But, I'm losing my respect for the developers of COD as the maps get smaller, the lag gets worse, and I keep hearing people blame ME for my laggy experiences playing COD.

Lag is the responsibility of the game developer. Lag Compensation is a cop-out replacement for dedicated servers. Bring back World At War sized maps, and design the game for dedicated servers, and I'll continue to show up in line when the next COD title comes out. If not? Goodbye. I know you won't miss little ole me. I'm just one player out of thousands who will drink the KoolAid anyway.

• Re: Dedicated servers are for adults
    maccabi

RunAndGun1 wrote:

Lag is the responsibility of the game developer. Lag Compensation is a cop-out replacement for dedicated servers.

How are game developers supposed to be responsbile for latency caused by playing over the internet exactly?

as for "lag comp" you know dedis have it too right?

This has been discussed numerous times nutshell answer the ONLY thing dedis would remove is host dashboarding, anything else you think they would solve is just because you dont actually understand how online games over the internet work basically.

trialstardragon

I love it when players like the OP think dedies are the magic bullet that will fix everything when really they are not. Just shows how little OP really knows about the game and how it runs.

Probably another one of the entitlement minded people who think that just because they pay xyq$ for a isp and for a abc bandwdith that their game should be better than someone else when playing ona  console never uses their full bandwidth in the first place.

03SuicideNooch51

We dont want better, we want fair and balanced. It's fine though really, if CoD wants to hand out welfare to the less fortunate I can deal with that. I'm actually looking into getting a secondary section 8 ghetto wifi setup just for CoD. I accepted the fact that activision can't provide what nearly every other modern FPS can.

Webmaster4531

Dedicated servers alone wouldn't fix everything but they would be a start. Stricter ping limits would be great and more feasible with dedicated servers. What also needs to be done is a game engine that doesn't have physics and game mechanics based on FPS. This is especially awful on the ps3.

trialstardragon

They will not ever do ping restricts in this game. They are not ever going to force players to have to have a certain type of connection to play just to make those who want it happy.

Webmaster4531

That's absurd limp fisted baby talk. People with awful ping is the main reason why the current hosting struction isn't working. People using 4g LTE or Satellite are the minority and should be put into their own games together. They're going to have an awful time no matter what so why bring down the rest of us?

RunAndGun1

I play games on dedicated servers, like Battlefield, and the difference is HUGE. So, don't tell me I don't understand how online games work. I don't have to understand anything. My experience is what I'm basing my opinion on. And experience trumps your defense of Lag Comp and other console-hosting games. Honestly, I don't play many console games except Battlefield and COD. And Battlefield by far gives me the experience I expect based on my own internet connection. Whereas, COD clearly takes away from my experience, probably due to Lag Comp. That's all I need to "know" about online gaming. At least between COD and BF.

trialstardragon

Does not matter what you think they will not ever do ping restricted matches in the game because of the PR problems it would cause for them by those what would complain about it to them and then to Activison and maybe even the console devs. So no matter how much you want it, it will not ever happen in console games becaue pin is variable and can change to easily during a match. And it would not be fair to punish those that for what ever reason their ping went over the limit by kicking them.

They are not ever going to make ti where you have to have one set connection type to play the game because it would negatively affect sales on a level to large for them to risk doing so just to make a few players like you happy about it.

RunAndGun1

Whatever they do, trialstardragon, I just wish they would make bigger maps for future COD games. Uprising has small maps, period. The spawning is only worse because of the small maps Treyarch has been making for BO2.

On Nuketown, you can snipe from the doorway of your building to the spawn spot of the other team. There's actually a direct line of fire to that spot. That's bad map design in my opinion.

trialstardragon

That I agree with, small maps are worse for this game because it causes players to spawn too close to each other and can be killed quicker. It needs maps the size of WaW maps. where it took time to cross from one side to the other and not just 30 seconds or less, like on some of maps in the game now.

Battlefield 3 has dedicated severs and is far superior to BO2 because of it. I even put down COD to go to Battlefield cause it has no stupid bullet lag or lag compensation. This way when I shoot the noob he actually dies and doesn't run through an entire clip of bullets dead on and not get a single hit marker on him. Trust me dedicated servers would fix all problems with COD online play.

BF3 does have lag, and a lot of it at times.  Feel free to go check out their forums (beware of the bronies).

RunAndGun1

You're absolutely right, YoureDoinItWrong. The difference is, when one has lag, everyone has pretty much the same lag experience. There's no bogus Lag Comp to steal speed from one player to help out another player with a cheaper connection.

I don't know what the last patch was for, but ever since then the spawning has gotten even WORSE. I didn't think that was possible. Today, I was on Standoff and I spawned next to the tank on the south side of the map. The enemy was on the other side of the same tank. So it wasn't long before I was on the ground twitching that wonderful COD twitch we do when we go down.

I'm sorry, but this is by far the worst COD since Black Ops 1. I didn't like that one either. And like BO1, I can't stand the maps Treyarch has come up with. I think 80% of the suck.

If COD had dedicated servers there would be benefits for everyone.

1. I would play based on my own connection. If there's lag, I would wait for a patch from Trey/IW to fix the lag, as they do on BF3. And if there's any remaining lag, I know that would be on my side.

2. Players could pick a teammate to spawn near, opening the door to bigger maps, hence LESS camping.

3. With bigger maps, snipers would be just as happy as every other player type.

trialstardragon

The game does not steal speed from one player. You obviously have no idea what lag comp is or how it works in the game.

They cannot ever completely remove lag from the game ever, there is always lag on online games all games online have lag and always will.

Dedicated servers do not remove lag, they only fix host dashboarding. BF3 has just as much lag as CoD does at times and worse sometimes too depending upon the server that is available to play on.

Adam1234567893

Treyarch will never spend money on their customers let alone fix the issue they are like bad teachers who never want to admit somethings wrong or they did something wrong. This lag is because of Lag Compensation because these issues didn't exist until Black Ops 1. Halo is also Peer to Peer servers as well and they run way better hell Halo even runs better then Battlefield 3 so a dedicated server is not needed what they need to do is ask Bungie for help with their network since Bungie works for Activision now anyways. Bungie and 343 actually know how set up peer to peer servers correctly so that lag switching and lag issues don't even exist so yea. I am not a fanboy either I just notice there is a difference between Halo and other First person shooters. Halo 1 through Halo 4 is how you set up a network. Call of Duty's network is so bad that there is no such thing as killing each other at the same time with bullets. They need to wipe their network clean of any tweaks or lag compensation and start from scratch.

Adam1234567893

Also to anyone who keeps saying that the OP is just some garbage player thinking he should be a god just because he has the better connection that is not the case all he is just like me. We do not think that we should be faster we just think that laggy players shouldn't have an advantage over someone with an average or above average connection it's annoying when someone who has 3 bars or less and they are untouchable because the network is overcompensating for them. They need to fix the tweak they did so the game is actually playable again.

Restore_Hardcore

You can buy an internet pump and hook it up to your modem so you can pump lag out of your lobby. The Manuel pump is cheap but requires a buddy to help you out but the electric one is phenomenal!

I couldn't agree more, i hate playing when all i here is 8 year old boys swearing and whinning