11 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 10:13 AM by RunAndGun1 RSS

Collecting stamps...

RunAndGun1

I guess Treyarch thinks I'm into collecting stamps since they keep coming out with these maps the size of postage stamps. Seriously, I'm missing the earlier days when COD maps where much bigger and required more thinking then running and gunning to play.

The problem with tiny maps is that they MAKE the spawning worse. Because the maps are so small, by the time you respawn some enemy guy is already coming around the corner. And before you know it, you're gunned down. It's really inexcusable in my book. I think it's cheap and lazy of game developers for COD to keep making maps smaller and smaller. Make the maps bigger, and spawning will improve 10-fold. And I'll actually be able to enjoy the game again since I won't be getting owned two seconds after I spawn.

I'll gladly move onto TERA Online, if it means getting entertaining gameplay. I just can't keep coughing up money to game developers who continue to find ways to lessen their workload while charging the same for an ever-shrinking game.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. Email notifications still isn't working. So where's the incentive to participate?

• Re: Collecting stamps...
    McZOMBI

Uprising was a good mix IMO. Studio is small, Vertigo is small to medium and Magma and Encore both seem pretty big to me. There's quite a few larger maps in BO2, problem is people don't vote for them.

RunAndGun1

I don't find any of the Uprising maps qualify as "big". Vertigo and Magma aren't big by any stretch of the imagination. I personally am annoyed by the continual shrinking of COD maps.

World At War had maps that opened up the COD experience to every taste. The maps were big enough for snipers to enjoy from almost any part of the maps. As well as lots of areas where teams could lock down during Domination matches.

I found it disturbing that the video advertising Uprising actually suggested camping as a means of getting the best out of the map. For instance, Studio, they suggested that players should focus on the tower and the saloon to control the game. Hence, camping was the key, apparently.

Secondly, for Encore, it was suggested that by dominating the stage - hence, camping there - you would control the match and map.

This is exactly why I am losing interest in COD as the days go by. COD is starting to resemble games I'd expect to find in a shopping mall with a quarter slot. Tiny maps, little effort going into actual choices for players. Basically, a dumbing-down of the Call Of Duty brand.

As someone who has played COD since Call of Duty 2, I find this trend insulting and disturbing. I have definitely lost all trust and faith in Treyarch. They put out the laggiest versions of COD every time. Some may disagree, but this has been my experience.

PerEverto13

While i like the map pack. I have to disagree. None qualify as large or open in my book. No map since the original BO has had "long sight lines. None...

CR4IG

Gotta disagree with you there, a lot of maps on this do have long lines of sight, the only problem is that the focal points of the map are nowhere near them, like when you play DOM all the sightlines are nowhere near the B flag so if you want to get these long sight lines nobody goes there which kind of makes them pointless.

PerEverto13

I agree but i disagree in the same breath. While some maps are close to a "large" scale, they are entirely over  cluttered. So no long sight lines are able to be used. Think back to CoD4 and prior ( if you played them) , there has been with out a doubt a drastic change in map as well as game design.

I do agree how ever alot of the reason the "long" sight lines dont feel that way is because of clutter and a completly use less vantage points. It is never over a high priority point (B flag) or an important control point such as a choke point into your side of the map. This all come down to design how ever. And is squarely on the devs shoulders...

wtcwarrior

Uprising is far from "Medium" sized maps. lol Studio is like firing range, it seems bigger because you have so many movie theme'd craps all over the map so you kinda get lost. Vertigo encore and magma are just giant circles....

starbuckfrack

At first i though this thread would say "Collecting Stamps is more fum than this game".

Nice post

RunAndGun1

You're not far from the truth, starbuckfrack.

I know I'm not alone because I'm seeing "Migrating Host" a lot more often lately. Some players tell me my issue is my connection. But that's not true because I'm made the host a lot in BO2. And they only make you the host if you have the better connection of those in the roster. I'll bet that more people are bailing because of the lag in BO2. Lag that's not our fault.

Some poopoo the idea of dedicated servers, but all other games I play online are played over dedicated servers. And I've never rage quit from those games because of lag. But the developers are avoiding dedicated servers not because it wouldn't improve gameplay, but because its an added expense and requires daily maintenance. You can't tell me that's not a factor in their decision to bypass dedicated servers. You know it is.

bkblazer

I'm just tired of the concrete. Turbine is not one of my favorite maps by far at least there is a more rural setting. Downhill also has the rural feel. Thats what was soo great about WaW, WW2 is just a great setting for combat. Urban warfare on medium to small maps gets old fast.

Noob_Lyncher

I like small maps, because it's easier to hunt down campers, and action is always close by. But with that being said, I miss the long sightlines that CoD4 had. I miss Backlot, Bog. District, and a few others.

RunAndGun1

That's just it, Noob. The bigger maps discourage campers because they end up just sitting there waiting for people to run by. When the map is large, as in W@W large, people are less likely to camp because waiting for players to just happen to go by takes forever.

COD developers could improve matters by giving players the power to spawn near a teammate or at the normal spawn point, like you can in Battlefield. But that would probably require dedicated servers. Which only supports the idea of implementing dedicated servers even more. That way we all could enjoy COD more because we won't have to worry about getting spawn killed so often.

Even without these changes, spawning could be improved more by simply spawning players inside structures, or around a corner, instead of out in the open where you're in the line of fire all the time.