34 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 8:02 PM by ghamorra RSS

How Perks Should Be Done

ghamorra

Some of you may have heard me say it, but I think perks are either too important or completely useless. Also, the structure or how perks are aligned also make it hard to build a class that protects you. For instance when you go up against a team that likes to spam low Streaks and equipment forcing you to choose two tier 1 perks.

So I propose a new way of business. No more tiers, you can pick any two peks you want and equip them for 1 point each. Assuming Wildcard sticks around you can choose and extra perk if you so choose, up to two extra perks.

But wait, there's more. I also propose a combining of perks while nerfing some effects. This way we're making some attributes more sought after while balancing those perks that seem like a must. So instead of Flak Jacket and Tac-Mask offering great protection they will combine but will only offer moderate immunity. Its like a nerf and a buff at the same time.

Notice below I have the perk adjustments listed but there's no Ghost effect. This is because I'd like to see the UAV removed from the game. To keep the infestation of camping extremist down I'd like to see creative ways of people identifying enemy players. Whether its by including Recon effects in the game, better map co-ordinates, or simply by opening the maps more.

Perk Changes:

Blind-Eye and Cold-Blooded

These two go together and the you could stick with the name Blind-Eye as it fits the best. Any optic enhancement is countered by this perk for both AI and user controlled equipment

Flak Jacket and Tac-Mask (including EMP grenade resistance)

All projectile equipment is moderately reduced. This is the simplest combination in my opinion except for a name, not sure what to call it

Dead Silence, Awareness, and Hardwired (minus the EMP grenade resistance)

I like the name Ninja for this combination, you basically take the three most notorisously weak perks and make it a valid contender. Player will not make any noise and no actions will be alerted to the enemy. Enemy sounds are increased and you're not effected by CUAV or any other jammer

Lightwieght and Marathon

Extreme Conditioning works as a good name replacement and anyone who can't see why these two are together is clueless to me. I can see these two being incredibly OP but in the grand scheme of things I feel that these effects are still greatly challenged by the other perks

Scavenger and Hardline

Call this perk Resourcefulness. I know its a mouthful but it makes sense. Pick up ammo except from anyone who didn't die in an explosion and you get a 10% reduction in Streaks

Fast Hands and Dexterity

Reflexes is a good name for this, I debated adding Toughness but after using that perk and seeing how strong it is I'm affraid adding it to any catagory would make it OP. Anyways except for snipers all gun and equipment motions are faster

Engineering and Hacker

Engineering would still work for this. I like Hacker to include fast Lock-On for launchers and also giving you the ability to hack equipment like in the orginal Black Ops

• Re: How Perks Should Be Done
    HaitianCreation

I miss the pro from MW3.

screamin_4orks

I'll agree with this 110%.

SandSeven

I have to say I was skeptical reading the title. Then I was intrigued by your first sentence. Finally after reading all of it, it's pretty solid. You couldn't be more right about perks either being too important or useless. I have 100 classes set up, and 4 perks are not in any of the 100. 1 perk rules them all (toughness) and is in all my classes. 2 perks show up in about 75 classes. I spent the last 2 days setting up all these classes, but the perk options don't vary much from each class set.

illstplaya2live

I don't like how treyarch decided to implement this pick 10 system. In my opinion it was a bad idea and I hope the next COD goes back to the way it was. I think the pick 10 system just limits what can be done in the game. It forces you to have classes that might not be suited for every situation.

This means I have to waste another class just to solve my problem. Example: the enemy has a lodestar. But my current class has hardline. Now I can either create a class that has hardline and blind eye and which takes up 3 spots and limits how i can customize my class or I can create 2 separate classes, one for hardline and one for blind eye which then takes away an extra class that I could use for something else.

In my opinion the current pick 10 system limits variety and makes the game a little less enjoyable because I am being penalized for wanting to have 2 perks or 2 attachments or 2 tactical grenades.

This might not be a good example but you get where I'm going with this. I also think you have good ideas. But I just wish it was different.

InstantOG

I disagree with this, the way perks work now you have to sacrifice somethings to get others, with these perks you don't really have to sacrifice anything to be immune to most of the things in the game and the Resourcefulness doesn't really work if you have 10% increase because 10 and 5 points doesn't really help per kill, the original 25% is better and the two perks don't really go with each other.

ghamorra

Hardline is a 10% off the needed points for a Streak. For instance if a Streak is costs 1000pts with Resourcefulness you can earn it at 900pts.

I feel that too many sacrifices are made in this game. Every perk has such a strong advantage you're constantly having to debate what to give up. I don't think perks should have to be debated like this, they're perks. I want them to be small, very small advantages that don't change the outcome of a match

TRU11

they had perks like this before but it would force the developers to add more perks to the game

2 perks per tier would be awefull.

i guess if they go back to this then perks like danger close and commando might come back.

altough id love this you would get some serious OP, nerf or boost threads as the varierity in game play would be limited since so much will be counter by so little while now little is coverd by little.

Izjar11

G'

I get what your saying, but I for one prefer the way they separated perks and removed the pro version in this game.

The convenience factor from MW3 is nice, but this new pick the set up that best suits you is king to me. What I truly like is that no matter the version you use, someone's setup will best yours.

I've also found out that the less you depend on perks the better you do. I tend to run allot with primary gunfighter, and I remove my first tier perk to accommodate. And I do fine.

ghamorra

I get what you're saying and I actually included this though in my set-up. I might not have made it very clear, but I want the perks to be perk, not a need. Flak Jacket won't be as strong, Lightweight won't make you move as fast, and Fast Hands isn't as quick.

Ever notice that in every lobby there's someone without a primary, secondary, or they're not using any equipment, but everyone is using Perks. Why is that? Its because they're needed, and I hate that. They're so strong, honestly the most OP part of the game that no sees because they can't mentally wrap their minds around a world without them.

My system does a few things:

1) Groups perks together in a way that protects you widely while nerfing the effects of perks so you're not completely immune

2) Removes the dependency of using a perk by this nerf

3) Only allows a max of 2 perks without Wildcard and 4 with Wildcard so no one is unbeatable

It's important to remember that these aren't the same perks they are in Black Ops II or MW3. These are barely even half of what we're use too. I can't stress that enough

Izjar11

I've tried the no gun option running six perks, and it is probably one of the best kept secrets of this game.

ghamorra

Perks really make a player. I did that for a while using just my combat knife and all perks. With Lightweigh and Extreme Conditioning I would be right on the enemy the whole game and the couldn't see me coming. You can really make people rage

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

Perks really make a player. I did that for a while using just my combat knife and all perks. With Lightweigh and Extreme Conditioning I would be right on the enemy the whole game and the couldn't see me coming. You can really make people rage

Switch up what perks you add to an all perk loadout. Try this: Ghost, hardline+ flak then scavenger + toughness, then engineer+extreme

You will own with that set up.

JensonJet

ghamorra,

Sure, it would be excellent if we could pick any number of Perks that suit us. Equally it would be nice to be able to equip more. Better yet, allow us to unlock the use of an extra Perk with every Prestige. But that's not the game we've purchased. Treyarch and Infinity Ward decide how they want to adjust the Perk system.

I find it as frustrating as you that I can't equip every Perk I want. But I also think the Perk system is perfect in that none of us can get our perfect set-up either. There's always a trade off and it's a case of trying to get the best out of what's available.

I also believe the use of the Perk system in Black Ops 2 is the best in the franchise to date. I love that it's now possible to equip three attachments to guns. And perhaps if I adopted your attitude I'd love to be able to equip four!

I wish Chess allowed us to replace pawns with queens, and the king had the ability to go invisible, but that would be a different game, and I neither have the finance, the know-how, or (if I'm honest) the energy to bother to try and create my own version of an existing game.

If you're really that bothered, and you really care enough, get into modding games and create your perfect military shooter. Alternatively work your way into the video game industry, get a job at Treyarch or Infinity Ward, work your way through the ranks until you have the opportunity to make the changes you wish for in the game. Alternatively be happy that you've got a game to play that (I assume) you love.

SuspectOnFootPS3

I think perks are an unfortunate name for what they are. No matter how weak a perk is, it will always provide an advantage to you over someone who isn't using it.

Sure there is no class that can counter EVERYTHING, but everyone else is in the same boat...

If you don't like being chased down by lightweight/ex conditioning users, then use those perks too. It's up to you to decide if the two slots are worth it.

ghamorra

SuspectOnFootPS3 wrote:

If you don't like being chased down by lightweight/ex conditioning users, then use those perks too. It's up to you to decide if the two slots are worth it.

Its not that perks are unbeatable or that they can do what they do, its more about how you can beat someone not because of your individual skill but rather you're wearing Toughness and they're not.

These perks have a huge impact on a game and it shouldn't be that way

SuspectOnFootPS3

Well if it's that big of a deal, then get better at aiming or use toughness yourself.

ghamorra

You're completely missing the point

SuspectOnFootPS3

No I get it, but just about every perk gives you an advantage that can save you/help you kill even though you have less skill than someone who's not using that perk.

ghamorra

SuspectOnFootPS3 wrote:

just about every perk gives you an advantage that can save you/help you kill even though you have less skill than someone who's not using that perk.

It shouldn't be that way. Perks should not dictate who wins and who loses, they have too much influence on the game removing the need for skill. I understand the purpose of each perk, but much rides on successfully picking out the right perk combo and less about how well you can aim or strategize an attack

NEV1LLE_BART0S

Like the simplifying of the perk list. Puts everyone on a more level playing field perk wise and leaves the big work for weapons attachments and skill of player. I might be biased as im very new to cod so simplifying takes options away from veterans which can only benefit the likes of me ie: those who stink like a turd covered in burnt hair.

Tick7

NEV1LLE_BART0S wrote:

Like the simplifying of the perk list. Puts everyone on a more level playing field perk wise and leaves the big work for weapons attachments and skill of player. I might be biased as im very new to cod so simplifying takes options away from veterans which can only benefit the likes of me ie: those who stink like a turd covered in burnt hair.

How are we not on the same playing level now?

We all have access to the same perks, don't we?

I didn't realize you guys had access to perks that I didn't.

Simplifying the game doesn't make it easier for new players, but harder. Because now the exclusive difference between players is skill; something that veteran players will more than likely have over new players.

Think you've contradicted yourself

NEV1LLE_BART0S

I mean i suck at the minute so im really greedy for perks to help me get kills as vets are a lot better at staying unseen and i definitely seem to have a big bird outfit or something on.

Tick7

It comes down to gun skill, and that's it.

Perks are nice, and obviously help, but it all comes down to gun skill.

That's why vets are beating you, not because you stick out like a sore thumb (although map navigation is an important thing to learn for any new Call of Duty player).

NEV1LLE_BART0S

Map navigation. Hits the nail on the head mate. To be honest i think because im new im really bad at using the mini map, i hope its a skill that comes naturally through time but in the meantime im at a disadvantage to seasoned players.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

good thread. i like it.

as for the point system, i love it. i get to set up a class EXACTLY as i like. i find it more useful to have extra equipment or a perk than two weapons.

or..i can set up a class opposite. all depending on my mood. i think it's genious.

Tick7

When I read that new perk list, I can't help but feel that the OP wants the game to be just super easy and super basic for him/her.

Let's remember for a second, just why many perks that obviously belong combined have been split up:

Overpowered classes

Anyone remember ghost from Black Ops? That's why Blind Eye, Cold Blooded, and Ghost have been separated now. The same can be said of Sleight of Hand (Quickdraw + Fast Mag attachment).

The reason why you have so much diversity in the perks, is because having perks do more than one single isolated thing, makes them too darn strong.