20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 5:04 PM by starbuckfrack RSS

C4 - THROWABLE OR PLANT-ONLY?

MATTHEWCIRULNICK

I am a big fan of this game, however after several thousand matches, I wonder if C4 is being abused.

Shouldn't C4 have to be planted, not thrown like a Joe Montana pass? 

When players are losing a gunfight, it seems they can simply resort to tossing C4 and get an instant kill. It feels a little like a cop out when used in this manner.

Thanks to the responses below, my understanding is now that both trophy and flak jacket can counter this-- but we all know deploying a trophy system in the midst of a gun battle is not really feasible. Perhaps an inability to deploy C4 while injured would help balance that scenario.

• Re: C4 - CAN ITS ABUSE BE CURTAILED VIA PATCH?
    starbuckfrack

They made it work while being throwable, they kept it that way and will stay that way until at least the next game.

phxs72

For the particular situation that you are describing the Trophy System is the counter.  It also works on Flashes, Concussions, Semtexs, Frags, EMPs and Rockets.

PS: Flak Jacket doesn't prevent any of the other explosives from killing you if they are a direct hit either.

MATTHEWCIRULNICK

I agree Trophy can be helpful...but Trophy cannot be used in the midst of a gunfight-- at least not with the ease that C4 can be hurled.

In a gunfight situation when you get multiple bullets on a guy and he whips out the C4, you are dead. I believe the time to deploy the trophy would all but ensure losing the encounter. Were it plant-only, this would be addressed.

Perhaps not allowing one to throw c4 when injured might help. As is, it seems to not reward the person winning the gunfight.

I could be wrong but it feels like Flak Jacket does nothing against C4, whereas you can withstand a grenade or semtex blast.

xmrythem

flack jacket

problem solved

JBurn244

I use C4 exclusively, and have tossed over 5000 of them in 170 hours played. I have 1600 kills, pretty good ratio, I'll admit.

But I've only been killed by them 59 times.

Unless you've taken damage you can survive a C4 blast from right at your feet with Flak Jacket. Flak Jacket + Trophy system, really nothing to complain about.

MATTHEWCIRULNICK wrote:

If people want to clear a flag, they should have to fight to do so, not simply press a button and get automatic kills.

Guess they should patch those cross-map, random grenade kills too, huh? Since, you know, they didn't 'fight for it' they just pressed a button and got an automatic kill. C'mon now, this thread is silly.

• Re: C4 - THROWABLE OR PLANT-ONLY?
    Noctis Everto

It sucks to get killed by a lobbed c4 but it also sucks to get blown up by a planted one.

Heck, I use a double c4 class, one to plant, then another to throw if need be.

jeffcarlb

Is anyone old enough to remember golden eye. Chuckin C4 is a classic and if your sick of it run a class with flak jacket it works 99% of the time.  Please lets not nerf all the fun out of the game. In all honesty, and im not trying to be a jerk, you probally need to get better at the game if you have taken damage, regen , or use a better gun for cqc.

wtcwarrior

Just shoot the C4 as its in the air. I've gotta a few kills by actually destroying the C4 and then shooting the guy in the process.. Yes rare but possible lol

MoonUnit

I hate the idea that something can be OP as long as there is a counter to it. Great, so I'm forced to always use flak jacket whenever someone is chucking C4, which is quite often. It's like Stopping Power from previous CoD's. Sure you don't have to use it but who wouldn't.

C4 should just have a detonation timer. Can't blow it up within the first 3 seconds of throwing. Problem solved.

Guess they should patch those cross-map, random grenade kills too, huh? Since, you know, they didn't 'fight for it' they just pressed a button and got an automatic kill. C'mon now, this thread is silly."

Yea man but that's luck, not a game mechanic. Throwing plastic explosives around like it's a football is what's silly. Right now I'm running Tactician to get my last couple tactical challenges completed, but once I'm done I'll never touch frags or semtex because they're simply inferior to C4. C4's blast radius is much bigger and you can throw it just like frags and semtex. Silliness, silliness, silliness. It's in the game to be a planted explosive. If they keep C4 the way it is they might as well remove frags and semtex next iteration.

SheSaidNo

My only problem with C4 is you shouldn't be able to throw and detonate that faster than you can throw a grenade.  There's a reason why grenades are small and accessable.  To arm C4, throw it and then switch to a detonator should take 3 to 4 times as long.

blb128

I use C-4 like this all the time. Instead of reloading I chuck the C-4. Its no different then someone switching to their secondary. I choose C-4 and no secondary. There is the balance in the pick 10 system. Dont complain because someone was more resourceful and faster than you in a gun battle. If I cant throw C-4 at you I will dropshot you which you no doubt will complain about too. 

trialstardragon

I too think it should be planted before it can be detonated; but then all the fanbois of the current way it works would come and rage about it being changed, that 3arc nerfed a skill/tactic and that they should not have done so, that it ruined their game by them doing it. So I doubt 3arc will ever make the change.