44 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 8:28 AM by Restore_Hardcore RSS

Score per minute, should be removed....

Glynzx6r

From overall leader board stats.

Now I'm an average player, but like to basically play across three modes Domination, TDM, KC, generally in that order.

Domination SPM- 243

KC SPM- 260

TDM SPM - 178

Overall SPM - 237

Now many of  my clan buddies just play KC, with KDs hovering just below 1, but will always rank higher than me because the majority of my gameplay has been Dom. My KD generally is 1.2-1.3 across all modes.

On the other hand if you stuck with TDM, SPM is a useless stat with KD being king.

Kill confirmed sucks in my opinion, I don't camp tags, but find my team mates taking them, and because the scoring system in KC is flawed, it promotes this bad gamesmanship, yes if you are killing from distances and making no effort to collect tags, well the team are fully entitled to hover up those points, but to race in to get your tags whilst you are also dodging fire to claim your own, frankly grips my sh!t. Hence after getting the KC Master challenge I rarely play it.

Your views...

• Re: Score per minute, should be removed....
    ab36

It's just a stat, it's just a leaderboard, you're video game isn't going to stop working if you aren't ranked high enough on the leaderboard. And if you say you're an average player then why does it matter to you so much where you are on a leaderboard anyway? Score per minute shows who puts up a lot of points, and who does it frequently, which more than likely means that they're helping the team more than those that aren't. Just because you're not placing well with the ranking system, you want it removed?

1) Stop caring too much about a leaderboard and some stats

and/or

2) Score more points and help your team.

TryHard187
      And if you say you're an average player then why does it matter to you so much where you are on a leaderboard anyway?

LOL!

Score per minute doesn't say too much unless you're very high ranked!

I I found myself playing domination, I went 26 kills, 25 deaths, 7 captures, 8 defends. So what does that tell you? I ended up nr. 1 with a score of 4550.

Why so many deaths? Am I a noob? Do I try to take flags too many times? You can tell by the score that I try hard of course but still.

BO1 I was top 100 if not top 50 each week, only because of blackbird, chopper and dogs. Yeah I did captured flags but never more than in BO2. If it wasn't for  the score system I would continue to try 100+ games without capturing flags or just as little as possible.

BO2 has too many ways to gather points. Which ones determ skills, the points won't help you figure it out.

gallp13

No issues leave it.

myevo8you

Glynzx6r wrote:

From overall leader board stats.

Now I'm an average player, but like to basically play across three modes Domination, TDM, KC, generally in that order.

Domination SPM- 243

KC SPM- 260

TDM SPM - 178

Overall SPM - 237

Now many of  my clan buddies just play KC, with KDs hovering just below 1, but will always rank higher than me because the majority of my gameplay has been Dom. My KD generally is 1.2-1.3 across all modes.

On the other hand if you stuck with TDM, SPM is a useless stat with KD being king.

Kill confirmed sucks in my opinion, I don't camp tags, but find my team mates taking them, and because the scoring system in KC is flawed, it promotes this bad gamesmanship, yes if you are killing from distances and making no effort to collect tags, well the team are fully entitled to hover up those points, but to race in to get your tags whilst you are also dodging fire to claim your own, frankly grips my sh!t. Hence after getting the KC Master challenge I rarely play it.

Your views...

Here is the problem with your logic. All these modes are TEAM based games. Stop worrying about an individual stat and worry about doing YOUR part to WIN the game. Honestly who cares if a teammate is closer to a tag than you are and they grab it? Let them take the risk and get shot by the 3 other enemies that were zooming in on the tag, then take those 3 out and get 3 tags for yourself.

Too many people put too much stock in the K/D stat and not the combination of what is relavent to the mode you are playing. TDM is a PERFECT example of this. I play 99% HCTDM and my SPM is between 300-350 EVERY WEEK and my K/D hovers around the 3 mark. I am not kidding that I have seen players with 2-3 K/D's but their SPM is UNDER 100. These are the players that go into a game and plop themselves down like a beach towel and get 4-6 kills PER GAME and die 1-2 times. I'm sorry but even though their K/D is decent, their SPM is awful and the combination of them shows they are a HORRIBLE player.

I just started playing Domination again as they added it to HC modes and my SPM in that is around 450-500 and my K/D is around a 1.8-2.0. Yes my K/D takes a hit when I play as I play to WIN by capping flags and staying in higher traffic areas. I gladly sacrifice a few deaths to help keep/take a flag.

I want you to ask yourself a question about TDM. Which player would you rather have on your team, a player with a K/D of 1.00 that gets 25 kills per game and about 15 deaths, or a player that gets 2 kills per game and 1 death?

Phamien

My stats are very similar to yours in hctdm. Honestly, I would rather have the 2-1 guy on my team as he is not feeding the other team score streaks with his 15 deaths.

I also rarely see players with a 1.0 ratio even getting close to 25 kills.  The idea is to kill and not be killed, giving 15 kills too the other team is unacceptable and means you are running around too much.

Also, having a low SPM does not mean you are a horrible player if you are going positive.

Merry Christmas !

SitRepPro

It all depends on the situation really.  A guy could go 10-15 and he/she may have buzzkilled a few enemies off a decent streak and win the match by a slim margin, say 75-73.  I used to prioritise buzzkilling people close to a Reaper etc in MW3 but the only streak I guess I can try and do it in here is the VSAT.

iivrruummii

If I only played SND my SPM would be around the 100 mark.  That is like 1 kill a minute.  I have some games where I don't even get a kill because my team completely destroys them.

EODBombSquad

Spm in Tdm is important it rules out who camps in tdm & who doesn't.

vims1990

I would disagree with SPM being useless in TDM.

High SPM players in TDM tend to play aggressive whilst the lower SPM players play defensively. It helps with adjusting your playstyle in a match. I know not to constantly rush at an player who has a low SPM as they'll be most likely waiting for me to make the first move.

Neither playstyles are wrong but it's how you adapt to each playstyle.

trialstardragon

Sound and clear logic and very true. Neither is better than the other. No stat reigns supreme in this game anymore and leaderboards mean nothing really. It does not really matter what spot someone is on the leaderboards that does not exemplify what sort of player they really are.

I have seen high leaderboard ranked players loose matches against those who had some of the lowest scores.

Stats will never be a 100% all inclusive way to meaure how good a player is, nor will leaderboards ever.

blb128

Treyarchs leaderboards and SPM are way better than than IWs crappy leaderbaords which have the players that have the most time played at the top. A high SPM means you play aggressive. Low SPM means you play passive with a lot of sitting and waiting for the action to come to you.

The best players have a high SPM and higher K/D. I have a 1.75 K/D  with a higher SPM but most times when there are players with higher K/Ds than mine usually over 2.0 they are below me on the lobby leaderboard. I dont worry about these players because they play like cowards and are afraid to jump on a flag or base. Dont let them camp for kills and they soon dashboard out of the match. The guys that worry me are the ones with a higher SPM and K/D than me. These guys will play aggressive and try like hell to win. They are good at playing the objective and killing without hiding somewhere. I like these battles cause thats the way I play.

OP if you want to boost your SPM run UAV, CUAV, and VSAT. These killstreaks give you constant points as your teamates kill people with them up. 

vsimco

To be honest I like SPM I think it should stay but I would like to see specfic gametype leaderboards for kills, defends w/e... Personally I would like to know how I rank in terms of # of kills with people who play FFA I have around 45-50k in the gamemode, but Black Ops 2 doesn't give the option and there is no real way of finding out. I would like the option to see more types of global leaderboards.

SPM for example in FFA is a mixed bag it only really matters for people with more than 1000 kills, and the leaderboards are stupid since its filled with a lot of people who played the gamemode once on nuketown.

MaxKirgan

I feel like SPM is more important in some game modes than others. I think it has it's place in objective modes. In team deathmatch, I feel like it just encourages mindless running and gunning. Let's face it, its just another aspect of the game that encourages it. Small maps, with tight routes, most people run around mindlessly with an SMG, prefiring every corner. Can you have a high SPM and have a high K/D? Of course a decent player can. However, you have average players running around constatnly flipping spawns. While they might go something lke 18-17, I'd rather have someone that goes 10-1 or 10-2 and not flipping spawns. The guy that's constantly flipping spawns is only out for himself. He doesn't realize that he's screwing his teammates as he's causing the enemy to spawn behind his teammates and they get shot in the back. Most of the time these people don't go positive and are really teammate #7 for the other team.

doughxDude87

I like SPM it tells me how well I am doing in ranking up.  i have over a 400 SPM which is pretty good I think.  If I see anyone in the 200 SPM I think either they suck, camp/play extremly defensivley or play slower game modes like search.

nuttin2say

No stat is itself king. You consider KD being king in TDM but I've seen a lot of 3:1 and 4:1 KD guys in TDM that never get more than 10 kills. Now, if you wanted to take KD and measure it against the number of matches played, then you would almost have an argument. The problem, though, would be that you would have to have another stat to use with the KDR stat. So, point made.

SPM is not a perfect measure, true. Someone can run up a tasty SPM by taking out enemy equipment and scorestreaks and not really contributing much toward kills.

But the point is that SPM is an overall measure.

What you need to do is stop looking for a silver bullet stat that measures whether or not a player is "good." It isn't others with high SPMs or KDRs or WLRs that you're complaining about. What you are complaining about is that you don't have high numbers in all of those areas.

As numerous other long-time players on this thread have pointed out, you have to spend some time studying player stats. Once you do, you'll start to recognize patterns. For example, a player with a 400 overall SPM that exclusively or almost exclusively plays in a party with familiar friends probably will not perform to his highest potential when he runs lone wolf.

What you should do if you are disgruntled by stats is open up a blank spreadsheet on your laptop there and spend a few hours looking and comparing stats of players from matches in which you have played.

It is time consuming, true. But if you spend some time doing it, you will start to see patterns and predictability factors.

Before you know it, you'll be just like the rest of us on here that tirelessly tell you guys that "no one stat indicates a good player."

InstantOG

I think SPM is an indicator of a players overall ability. I've seen people with 2.00 K/D with 300 SPM showing they camp and people with 1.59 K/D with 450 SPM. If your K/D and SPM are high it shows that you are an objective player ( or Support streak spammer) and you can get kills at the same time.

ghamorra

You can camp on Nuketown easy and get an SPM of 600+

You can play GW and camp all day and still have an SPM 600+

You can play to have fun and have an SPM around 200

You can play on a good team in TDM or KC and have a SPM around 200

ge0rdiemark

Exactly - SPM = which maps and guns you use + which game mode + how agressive

I only play TDM so I have SPM around 300, but always get 20-30 kills and KD > 2.

If I wanted a higher SPM then would play domination or Kill confirmed, but domination is very team orientated and I mainly play solo.

So It means nothing, lots of people I play against have higher SPM but in TDM I wil generally score higher with better KD - its just they probably play KC or DOM or hardpoint.

If they did a SPM based on game mode, then it would be relevent.

END

phxs72

The SPM as far as the lobby leaderboard is concerned is gamemode specific.  So it does have some relevence but as has been previously discussed it can be easily manipulated just like every other stat in the game.  I think what people have to remember is when you are looking at stats to judge a player, you are presuming that they play like you do.  This can easily be a false presumption but it's all you really have to go on.  Generally speaking, however, stats alone will never tell the tale of a players worth. 

For instance, my stats are not impressive.  I play for fun.  I use guns that aren't always the best for certain situations just to level them up.  But I know how to play very well.  I found myself in a lobby with a couple of players with far superior stats to mine and they mentioned that they gotten the bad PM when I ended up on their team.  I played 3 matches on their team and came in 3rd each time but was only 1 or 2 kills behind the top player and roughly the same deaths.  So in other words, for all their glorious stats, they weren't really any better at the game than me.  What it boils down to is some people play for stats and others don't.

sin7

I agree that it shouldn't be used in the ranking system for overall stats. I play HCTDM and HCSnD. Both those game modes give you a low SPM. I just ignore the SPM stat. I am a good player with a 2.20 KD and 83% win. But my SPM is only 184. I play to win and screw my SPM.

su9arat

Stats mean diddly squat.. they can be interpreted and manipulated any which way you want. personally i would rather play with/against people intent on building their score than the kdr whores who infest most objective based game modes.

owiseguyo

The only issue I have with the leaderboards is that you dont need to qualify like in BO1. You used to need 50 games in a specific gamemode to get on to the all time leaderboards. You needed 25 for monthly and 5 for weekly. What happened to that?

rankismet

IMO... SPM is no more telling about someone's skill in this game than just pure KDR. COD needs an algorithm which measures player effectiveness.

I know this... if you have a SPM over 500 in HC KC...

... you either cheat...

... or are so damn laggy I have no hope of ever shooting you.

owiseguyo

So your mentality is that if someone has a stat that you can't fathom to obtain, that they either cheat for it or are always lagging? Maybe they are just very good. But I will say this, high SPM are usually an indication of a stat reset which in my eyes aren't your true stats.

rankismet

Career SPM over 500 in HC KC...? Yep...

... you are either cheating or cannot be shot.

It's that simple.

vsimco

I have a 478 SPM in HC KC and the party I used to play with had people with 490, and weekly of 500+ SPM. The only reason my overall is so "low" is because I did the diamond snipers in HC KC which destroyed my SPM from 590 SPM all the way down to its current level.

Our games go by quick and hardcore is easy.

rankismet

vsimco wrote:

I have a 478 SPM in HC KC and the party I used to play with had people with 490, and weekly of 500+ SPM. The only reason my overall is so "low" is because I did the diamond snipers in HC KC which destroyed my SPM from 590 SPM all the way down to its current level.

Our games go by quick and hardcore is easy.

A team over 500 in HC KC? Then it must be real hard to shoot you. That's been my experience

Someday, I'll have to do a breakdown of why I find it suspect when SPM goes over certain thresholds. I know when peeps exceed 400 SPM I will find it hard to shoot them 9 times out of 10. Over 500... nearly impossible. Over 600?

Fuhgetaboutit.

BO2 has too crappy of host selection and matchmaking.

warzh311ion

Leader Boards are screwed up anyways. The top spot in HQ :

by Azteck   SPM 3,463.80    Kills 48   Deaths186   Caps1   Defends

Top KC:

Fall VainEr  Score 41,325  SPM 2,944.77 KD   0.03 Kills  2 Confirms  2 Denies  59  Matches  3

TDM:

PointyNose31 SPM 1,917.91 Kills  114 Deaths 0   KD  0.00 Assists  38

S&D:

PlayboyPuffin  SPM 2,612.50  Kills 51 Deaths 76 Plants 0 Defuses 0

As you can see, they are all messed up. Leader Boards mean nothing in this game just like all of the rest. Hell, number 100 on S&D has 1 kill 10 deaths 0 plants 0 defuses.. His spm is over 800! How?

Sora_v21

Because those HQ top guys all boosted, as most of the top do. However sometimes people get lucky, I for one am ranked #7 all time in demoliton because first ever game i played I got both bomb plants off and detonated in under 2 min giving me a 1177 spm for the first round so i just left and I have been ranked in the top 10 since with only boosters getting above me and then later getting removed etc.

warzh311ion

Leaving the game because you "got Lucky" makes you just as bad in my eyes as the boosters. I get thost plants and detonations like that all the time, but I don't leave the game to have a good SPM. You are just a different type of booster if you ask me.

I don't think you should even be on the leader boards untill you hit a certain amount of games. Like it use to be.

owiseguyo

The main reason is because of what I posted. There is no qualification games to get on the leaderboards. BO1 leaderboards were very accurate because you needed 50 games to get onto them. And if someone boosted for 50 games, you more then likely got banned and taken off the leaderboards anyway.

codchamp

I have never been a spm player and tend to like the leaderboards from MW. Kills, Wins, Score. SPM can to easily be manipulated just as the post by sora v21 has shown.

owiseguyo

I like the boards to be more skill based instead of time played based. Maybe SPM isnt the perfect way to go about it but its good enough for now. Unless they create some kind of true skill leaderboard that takes all stats into consideration, I dont see what would be better then SPM.

codchamp

Playing with you is the perfect example on why SPM sucks. Even lastnight one of your buddies was crying that it keeps falling.

When you play with a full good team it is hard to beast the SPM because of good talent you have to compete with game after game.

If you have a lone wolf guy going ham game after game, then it is a different story. But that same guy may be beating down much less skilled players.

This is why SPM does not matter. I would have rather seen Kills, wins and score. Until there is a REAL true skill rank system for public matchmaking then spm does nto mean jack.

stonculd

Who even looks at spm? Who cares? Waste of space on the forum.

Restore_Hardcore

Spm encourages mindless zombie rushers and the fact is only a small % can rush the right way unless you're playing objective games where kills fall in your lap.