41 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 5:45 PM by jeepchick Branched to a new discussion. RSS

four days and counting...???

ElessarStr

Each new day it persists is notable!  (what excuse will they use for censorship this time while failing to censor the filth? Spam, blocking, locking, directing to the twit site, quashing, stifling descent?)  I can't continue my previous discussion though; they locked it after allowing a few unanswerable, informal-fallacy-ridden remarks. The filth remains. Who's approving this?

Four days since I reported offensive (obscene actually) emblems (this current instance) and nothing.  They persist: an obscene symbol and a skinhead promotion.  TreyArch doesn't care.  Four days. 

Maybe the developers intend that people deal with that objection by targeting the offensive content generators in the game?  What develops in the minds of those imposing those emblems as they target others (including those who may voice objection) in a game?

It seems quite scandalous to me.  Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

When I bought this game it wasn't marketed with this. I even turn off the graphic content. Thank you for that option.

I know you disclaim, "...[not responsible for user generated content]...," but when you can turn it off and don't, you are indeed irresponsible.

I don't tweet.  I'm not a twitterer...er.  I will not open an account there.  Their in-game reporting link seems ineffective.  What other hoops?  Just move on it!

If I were to play often, I might not even notice that they don't shut these down because they scroll off the list (only to be replaced by the new ones). Are they just liars hoping no one will notice?

They allow ad hominem attacks, and prevent me from responding to the unreasonableness by locking the discussion.

A response called me a hypocrite for my buying of an M-rated game and then my objection to obscenity and bigotry. OUTRAGEOUS behavior and moderating!!

This does really go beyond the game too. What attitudes toward people of various classes are being blended with violent portrayals.

Have you too noticed no effect after reporting offensive content? How long have you seen them persist?  If you don't report emblems and are responding here, you are off-topic: start your own discussion!

(I keep offline copies to provide whatever may be censored elsewhere)

Why provide tags if I can't discuss my topic and it's myriad unique intricacies under its own heading.

I'm not as persistent as I should be, as these emblems are.

• Re: four days and counting...???
    TheBeastlyDude

Just report and move on, play the game and have fun.

ElessarStr

Exactly.  Have fun.  I do play to have fun.  I want to share the fun, the clever tactics, the close calls, the action, the lucky shots with family and friends.  Theater mode is great!

That's neat.  Cool.  Whoa!   Check this one out.  What was that!  Sorry.  I'll turn it off.

Awww.  That guy got ya.  Who did that?  What was he using.  Gotta see that again.  What's his record?  Ohhhh!   What the hell.  Sorry.  I'll turn it off.

The women I know would wonder why a guy would play a game with that in it.  Pimp/low-life/sleaze/thug/gangsta culture doesn't cut it in my social circles.  I don't want that in it myself.  Many don't want the filth.  Guess I'll just put up with. 

'move on' is a political movement I think some are trying to promote against forum rules.

You miss the point the reporting isn't working.   But you made your point, so now you can move on.

Four days...

BTW are you answering the question posed anytime or just trying to short-circuit the discussion.  I'm interested in responses to the question.

gotsomestars

Don't look at them? No one is forcing you to scroll through the list .

ProfessionalPoster

An M rated game means you can potentially be exposed to these images, and they may or may not be removed at 3arcs discretion.

If you are sensitive, don't play the game. It's a very simple fix. Instead of wasting your time on a broken reporting system and a forum not visited by devs, stop getting worked up and don't play

Izjar11

ach new day it persists is notable!  (what excuse will they use for censorship this time while failing to censor the filth? Spam, blocking, locking, directing to the twit site, quashing, stifling descent?)  I can't continue my previous discussion though; they locked it after allowing a few unanswerable, informal-fallacy-ridden remarks. The filth remains. Who's approving this?

What is the issue?

Four days since I reported offensive (obscene actually) emblems (this current instance) and nothing.  They persist: an obscene symbol and a skinhead promotion.  TreyArch doesn't care.  Four days.

Well, reporting them is one thing expecting them to be banned when reported unreal.

Maybe the developers intend that people deal with that objection by targeting the offensive content generators in the game?  What develops in the minds of those imposing those emblems as they target others (including those who may voice objection) in a game?

Huh

It seems quite scandalous to me.  Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

This thread is scandalous! EviL is not EVil until you start using a TARGetFInder on the LSAT. Sorry it be true.

This does really go beyond the game too. What attitudes toward people of various classes are being blended with violent portrayals.

Have you too have noticed no effect after reporting offensive content? How long have you seen them persist?  If you don't report emblems and are responding here, you are off-topic: start your own discussion!

(I keep offline copies to provide whatever may be censored elsewhere)

Why provide tags if I can't discuss my topic and it's myriad unique intricacies under its own heading.

I'm not as persistent as I should be, as these emblems are.

You speak with a moral tongue, yet play a game of death and destruction of fellow man, that is being a hypocrite. Chill. If killing, blowing someone up is no issue for you, then some child's poor excuse to get his willies of should be brushed aside like stepping on a roach. Be a man, report, and move on with life.

ElessarStr

I turn off graphic content.  Why do they provide that option?

I don't kill and destroy fellow men.  I play an otherwise fun fictional action video game of tactics and reflex.  You are employing the informal fallacy of argumentum ad hominem of the circumstantial type.  Try Phil001(Logic) you may avoid some of the many informal fallacies and avoid absurd conclusions and aspersions.  I'm not as practiced as I should be myself.  I play an action video game.  Killing people and blowing people up is wrong to me.  This GAME is not THAT.  This GAME is also not about projecting obscene, bigoted, misogynysitc messages (those projected messages are REAL messages).

Stand for something.  Evil prevails when good people do nothing.  Read my OP again.

"huh"  Yes, i understand that you do not understand.  Maybe you can try apeeal to force or authority next.

"Be a man"  Argumentum ad Populum as inadequacey and ad hominem of the abusive type.

not a helpful answer

Izjar11

turn off graphic content.  Why do they provide that option?

For the younger or more sensitive crowd, what other reason?

I don't kill and destroy fellow men.  I play an otherwise fun fictional action video game of tactics and reflex.  You are employing the informal fallacy of argumentum ad hominem of the circumstantial type.  Try Phil001(Logic) you may avoid some of the many informal fallacies and avoid absurd conclusions and aspersions.  I'm not as practiced as I should be myself.  I play an action video game.  Killing people and blowing people up is wrong to me.  This GAME is not THAT.  This GAME is also not about projecting obscene, bigoted, misogynysitc messages (those projected messages are REAL messages).

Very wrong, your post speaks of "morality" you mention how insulted, how degrading it is to view obscenity in the game, which in a way is very true, I do not enjoy what others do via emblems and report those whom I feel should be reported. But you sound or make yourself sound as of someone without sin playing a violent game, its what you otherwise wrote in judging and condoning what others do publicly.

You play a WAR game, its logic is to inflict make believe damage upon men, if that idea if the notion that you are simulating the action that otherwise more "moral" men wouldn't commit to then, chill. I need no lesson in morals, or instructions from someone judgmental as you are. Thank you.

"Be a man"  Argumentum ad Populum as inadequacey and ad hominem of the abusive type

What ever you want to side step, its quiet simple.

not a helpful answer

From someone who uses some logic because you write like you care, why the hell would you explain yourself to this forum? Did you want the perfect answer, are those (including) myself who respond to your thread not addressing how we all feel?

Brushing each persons posts because it does not "fit" your expectation is both moronic and tasteless.

I'll quote someone very simple "respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners"

ElessarStr

not helpful

If it were, I would select the Helpful Answer link.

"for the younger...sensitive"  Thanks.  Then remove the user generated filth too.  What's your objection.

You're the pot that calls the silverware black, Mr Manners.

I don't confuse forceful declarations with facts either.

Hells_Hawk

For the guy who thinks everyone is trying to put his topic off topic you are really not helping. His post was in all area's correct as that is what he see's and is his opinion. Here is a news flash. You are NEVER going to find someone who agrees with you 100% on everything. Take some feed back even if you don't like it and move on. There are bigger problems with this game and with other things, than what you are pointing out.

Izjar11

ElessarStr wrote:

not helpful

Ok, sir

What purpose was it that compled you to write something that otherwise no one can help you?

Hells_Hawk

The easy answers to all of this are:

1) don't look at it

2) report and move on (because everyone,but you understands nothing will happen)

3) don't play a game that is based around violence if you can't take some immature images.

Yes this game is rated M for mature, but just as you can tell some people are not old enough to play this game, by their age, some are also not mature enough to play it as shown in some images. This is the world we live in and the sooner you accept that the better you will be. Don't care what other people do on a game.

ElessarStr

Repetitive (nothing new), dismissive.  At the risk of repetition (see OP) using a fictional video game with violent content doesn't grant license to messages that are provocative, obscene, hateful, etc.  They  say they remove them, but I see no evidence.  This affects society beyond those who play the game.  It infringes on those who don't want.  I'm not the only one.

Are you just trying to help dissuade others from answering my Qs posed in OP?  You're not here to answer the questions, so what's your agenda?   Do you really mind that someone wants this addressed?

not a helpful answer

Hells_Hawk

You do know that that math for the images you are talking about are most likely for every one you see there are like 100 for it... they have banned people from using the emblem editor as I know one that has been banned from it. Just because you don;t see it does not mean anything. And with you spamming the same thread for four days what ever support you had and credibility you once had is not gone.

Move on if you don't like something fix it your self and there is a easy way to do so.

ElessarStr

I'm not arguing anything based on what I don't see.  I see persistent emblems that obviously many find offensive (I hope this word's significance isn't becoming diminished, it's serious).  The spam is from the likes of you.  It's the same objection repeated.  People exclude or ignore some points in the OP when making their counterpoints so I have to readdress them.  That's not my fault.  Their repetitive dismissiveness (Activision you need to fix your spell checker) is not my fault.  They should move on themselves.  

Anyone want to comment on their observed prevalence and persistence of obscene, bigoted, hateful, misogynistic messages?   That's the standing question in this discussion.  Many seem to be trying to bury it with spam, piling on repetitively

I thank you for helping me make my point, Hawk.  Because you and some others demonstrate an irritation with even a benign (though important) message that persists, you must be able to imagine the effect persistent obscene, degrading, hateful messages have on many.  Are you that oddly (to me) selective in your annoyance? Are you really supportive of the filth and just helping to quash valid outrage?

Hells_Hawk

I've said on one of your other threads on this topic I do not agree with the immature images that people put on this game, but I also understand that how many people play this game compared to how many people work to just find images that will/may offend people. The bigger a game is the more chances people will do something on it to offend someone, that is just human nature and the world we live in. Don't you think it's more important to fix the world we live in rather then just fighting a losing battle against immature people and Activision on something so small to the rest of the world?

inimicalNinja

Lol I doubt they care, there are so many cheaters and other things to worry about who wants to spend time banning emblems.The sooner you realize nothing is going to be done the better off you will be.

Mojo33

Personally, I am not necessarily "offended", per se, by the emblems that people chose to make. I would say more disappointed that, given the freedom to express themselves, the best that certain individuals can come up with is a childish attempt at getting under someone elses skin.

By obsessing over these obvious attempts to get a rise out of people, such as yourself, you only serve to empower them. You are giving them exactly what they are seeking by making these emblems: attention.

If you really feel that you must do something, though, your only real course of action is to use the in-game report function and move on. While the process might not be as expedient as you'd like, I can tell you that the number of offensive emblems that I encounter now is significantly less than in the past, so it would seem that action is, in fact being taken. You must understand, though that they get probably thousands of reports for a wide variety of infractions every day, some are legit, but many are not. However, all of them must be investigated before action can be taken, and this takes time.

Obsessing over it, "keeping tabs" on individuals whom you've encountered, or coming on the forums and jumping on your morale high-horse will do absolutely nothing to expedite the process.

GALACT1C0s117

Agree, to me it shows how immature people are, and what I find surprising is that not only is the younger crowd doing this but also the older players are doing it also. Also we have to keep in mind that they receive thousands of reports, not only from emblems, but also for boosters and cheaters, which is might me more important to deal with first. If you don't like just find another lobby.

ElessarStr

Morale high-horse?  Another aspersion cast.  Do you even know what that means?  Wow.  I think you are confusing a principled contention with judgementalism or intolerance.  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else.  No matter how melodic it may sound, it is just impish name calling.  I don't produce offensive content.  I object to it.  Again!  I'm asking others about its prevalence and persistence.  That has you labeling me as on a moral high horse?  Defending against flawed arguments, standing for what most agree with has you labeling me as on a moral high horse?  Those who find it inconvenient to formulate or discern a morality might label others that way.  There shouldn't be a tolerance of the garbage that is intended to offend others.  It's offensive because it's intended to be offensive on its face. I can't be sincere about it?  That it affects the community adversely isn't an honest concern?  Maybe my ideals drive me to a greater verbal eloquence.  That's not a moral high horse either. 

Those who want to permit it can wallow in it.  I can leave it behind.  But I shouldn't.   It does affect those who don't even know about or play the game in the attitudes it engenders.  I'm worried now that I may I have stumbled upon a congregation of obsessively oppositional disordered types vying for the last word rather than the correct ones.  Well, I'm not compelled to have have the last word.  It would be nice if some were willing to share the information I asked about in the OP.  But, I can understand how they might be flame-shy at this point.   I've seen this piling-on buffoonery towards others also.  People playing fools usually actually are. 

Mojo33

Yes, moral high-horse. I provided you with all the information you need to deal with in-game offences in my post: use the "report" function. That is what it is for and, like it or not, that is your ONLY option.

While you might not come out on say that you think you're better than everyone else, your long winded, big-worded rants, combined with the fact that your outright dismissal of anyone who doesn't share your righteous indignation, places you square atop your very own high-horse.

You've asked MANY questions in you original post and subsequent responses, but you've buried and scattered them throughout your rants, which makes it difficult for anyone to give you the specific answer you seem to be looking for, despite the best attempts by several people in this thread and your previous one. Unfortunately, nobody apparently has provided you with the exact response you have been hoping for, but that does not make their responses or opinions any less valid.

Maybe if you calmed down, and asked your question in a clear, direct, and simple manner, rather than posing it as a half-page rant, somebody might actually be able to provide the specific response you are looking for.

Personally, though, I don't believe you were ever expecting an answer, as much as you were hoping that the community would all band together behind you in your crusade to eradicate that which you personally find offensive.

As I said, if an emblem offends you, report it in-game and find another lobby so you don't have to look at it. Neither the mods nor the forum community have any power to expedite the process. Sooner or later, action will be taken. In the mean time, there are hundreds of thousands of people plaing this game at any given time, and the vast majority of them do not have offensive emblems. The chances of running across the player again in normal course of play is pretty slim. Unless, of course you go looking for them, in which case that is your choice to subject yourself to that which you find offensive, and nobody's problem but your own.

ElessarStr

Does it matter to you that others, excluding me, are offended?  I can handle it, but I shouldn't have to.  Others shouldn't be subject to it or its social effects.

Mojo33

Obviously you must be offended, whether you are willing to admit it or not. Why else would you be devoting so much of your time and energy to keeping tabs on these players with offensive emblems, making these lengthy posts, and then continuously debating those who don't share your obvious disgust?

While I do sympathise with you and others who find offense with these emblems, and I agree that nobody should be subjected to them (which is why I DO report them when I see them), the harsh reality of this planet that we live on is that there are people out there who seek to be offensive, and we will encounter them from time to time.

Thankfully, though, these individuals represent the minority, and the best thing we can do is to simply ignore them. Ultimately, what they seek is attention and, as I posted previously, drawing attention to them only serves to empower them, and reinforces their efforts as successful.

They strive to be offensive, you are offended, they see that their behaviour garnered success, and thus they will repeat said behaviour. In essence, by lashing out you are only fueling their offensive behaviour.

Do not give them the satisfaction of knowing that their efforts were successful. Do not react or confront them, simply report them, move on, and trust (or at least hope) that eventually the system will deal with them accordingly.

Every minute of your life that you waste worrying about someone offensive is a minute that that person has taken away from you. Life's to short to waste on these childish people, and they just aren't worth it, IMO.

amathyx

i'd try to bother coming up with an answer that you could comprehend but you'd probably just go 'LOL THAT'S DISMISSIVE AND RUDE AND I'M JUST GOING TO COMPLETELY IGNORE EVERY ANSWER BECAUSE IT'S NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR'

rlbl

I know for a fact that reporting for emblems can get you a warning or banned.

One issue you are experiencing is that they are obviously overwhelmed with reports, and they do have to go through them all.

Give it time

jeepchick

You have already posted this type of discussion and our Chief Forum Moderator addressed you in that other post. Do not start new threads on topics that already exist, and you should probably review the Community Posting Guidelines and Code of Conduct before posting again.

Claire JeepChick