28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 2:47 PM by ChestSplittah RSS

Will we ever see a return to WW2?

Im_not_BukLau

I love the WW2 setting but the main reason I'd like to see a return to the WW2 setting is that it would force a 'back to basics' approach on the devs. Think about it, there would be alot less equipment, streaks and attatchments and I feel that it would be more about gunskill because you would have less 'futuristic/modern' technology so no target finders, no portable radars/motion sensors, no shock charges etc. Of course we would never see a return to 3 5 and 7 killstreaks but I can't help but think there would be a lot less streaks.

• Re: Will we ever see a return to WW2?
    WhyNoName

How about a Modern Warfare where something similar to the TV Series "Revolution" happens.  I.E. all electricity has gone out, but we are still in Modern Warfare.  There could be perks that would allow things to run with certain powerups/etc like helicopters, planes, etc, but they would have to be earned and have to be in your very close vicinity and also very short lived.  That way, the game could still offer some higher powered game play, but also force people back into gun skills/gun fighting/team oriented game play, and a more pure game versus fighting A.I. the majority of each match.

IndyOldGuy

I would enjoy that, theres just too many 'gadjets'  in the game nowadays

garryowen107

We all would but were just grasping at straws and praying that the same minds that created our favorite cod games come back. The years and the men are gone from the franchise, put bluntly, even if Treyarch was to some how try to reinvent the wheel by creating a new World at War it would still play like black ops 2 than a sequel to W@W. They threw away the old working formula for Cod back in black ops1. They can't even keep the core mechanics of the game simple which is competitive perks and killing potential, what with stealth perks replacing all of the possible heavy hitters that would compete with them, stopping power and juggernaut. A core formula for the game is gone so now they are trying something new and the veteran core like us are starting to dislike the franchise more and more after each passing game.

Im_not_BukLau

You make some good points and although I wish we could have a game like W@W (but without the hackers) I know that the old Call of Duty formula is gone forever. The community (and by that I mean all of the community including longtime CoD fans, YTers, MLG pros, noobs and casuals) are the cause of this. Sure the devs often try too hard to innovate leading to unnecessary things but these games are to some degree just a reflection of what the community wants. Black Ops 2 is a perfect example (I know many would disagree) of a game that reflects what the community wants but I get the feeling that in their attempt to please everybody that Treyarch has ended up pleasing nobody. 

Mojo33

It's the "evolution" of a video game franchise. Unfortunately, gamers are a fickle bunch.

COD started out simple enough and it didn't become what it is overnight, it was a gradual process. With each new title, the community naturally expected bigger and better, and the devs strived to deliver.

Over the years, the franchise gradually evolved into what it is today, based upon OUR wants, needs, and observation of our playing habits and tendencies.

Personally, though, I think the whole "WWII" theme has been done to death in FPSs. I've been playing WWII games for the past 40 years, and I think it's past time we let it go and move on. That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate a "simpler" FPS, if done well, but I don't think you'll see it in a COD title. That ship has sailed, I'm afraid.

Im_not_BukLau

Mojo33 wrote:

Personally, though, I think the whole "WWII" theme has been done to death in FPSs. I've been playing WWII games for the past 40 years, and I think it's past time we let it go and move on. That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate a "simpler" FPS, if done well, but I don't think you'll see it in a COD title. That ship has sailed, I'm afraid.

The reason I say WW2 is because I think it would force simplicity on the devs because there wouldn't be the technological options available. I know that in relation to Call of Dut the "less is more" approach is pretty much dead but it doesn't hurt to be hopeful that we might see a Call of Duty game that is at least somewhat similar to COD4 or W@W.

TRU11

Im_not_BukLau wrote:

Mojo33 wrote:

The reason I say WW2 is because I think it would force simplicity on the devs because there wouldn't be the technological options available. I know that in relation to Call of Dut the "less is more" approach is pretty much dead but it doesn't hurt to be hopeful that we might see a Call of Duty game that is at least somewhat similar to COD4 or W@W.

at least they knew how to train dogs back then

garryowen107

I sadly do agree with you 100 percent on the fact that the game is just a reflection of the demands from the community in a bad way. We have hampered the creative minds/process of a game franchise that we all love and adore. I havn't seen these many complaints since mw2 and the complaining started there and ruined the rest of the games in the process. Most of my fight on these forums is to stop or at least combat complaints that eventually make the game boring and dull. My sole purpose is that hopefully a dev will read my comments or my words will reach more people to show them that what your asking for has created something aweful. Since you mentioned youtubers, Onlyusemeblade was asked during the black ops1 days why doesn't he play barebone? He simply stated that it was too boring for him to play because more people camped and the general flow was slow. The people who screamed that mw2 with stopping power, its fast killing guns, and powerful killstreaks was too much so we end up with a game where stealth perks reign supreme, guns are slow killing to absurd levels, and you have to get 5 kills now to get just a uav. I can personally say that alot of people dealt with Black ops coming from mw2 and the way it handled because there was still peices left over of the old style cod in it. People moaned that why should people with good internet connections get good games, so now everyone suffers with mediocre connections regardless of internet. The community has gotten what they asked for and now the franchise is garbage and were left with a shell of a formerly great game. We must as a community combat these people and thise movement to take back our game to what it once was and still can be.

Im_not_BukLau

I think that we the community are just as much to blame (arguably even more so) than the devs for the gradual destruction of this great franchise. Once again when I say "community" I don't mean this forum or YT or MLG or one of the 'sub communities' (e.g. the quickscoping community), I mean it as a collective term for all Call of Duty players.

ChestSplittah

No... the game is now garbage because the people that created it and all those that started it advance were fired and left over the firings.

garryowen107

Yes and thats another factor I addressed and said the years and men are gone that were the brain childs of these popular franchise. I just hope Im not the only Isaiah crying out from the wilderness saying go back and try to replicate the old formula that at least treyarch had in W@W let alone cod4 and mw2. By this point there should be better ways to code than what they did in mw2 and improve on it. These guys who created cod4 and mw2 were not these other wordly beings who came from a vacum, they just knew how to write cod and worked with a very simple formula. All I'm saying is that were not alone on this view and we should speak up since we have stuck with this franchise. We need to be vocal and police up people who demand horrible things in game that will further make it dull and boring. It's on us by this point because without our imput this franchise won't last long.

Mojo33

Let's see:

COD3 (by Treyarch on the PS2) was set in WWII;

Next came Modern Warfare (by IW on the PS3), which was set in modern times (NOT WWII), and introduced both Perks and Killstreaks (3-5-7);

Next was World at War (Treyarch), set in WWII again, which continued with similar Perks, and retained the 3-5-7 Killstreaks from MW;

MW2 (IW), NOT WWII, introdued "Pro" Perks, introduced customizeable Killstreaks (including the Tactical Nuke), and even added Deathstreaks;

Black Ops (Trey), set in Vietnam, followed again with a similar system, but removed the Nuke and Deathstreaks, and added expanded character customization (face paint, etc);

MW3 (IW) brought back Deathstreaks, and added even more Killstreaks to chose from.

And now we have BO2, which I'm sure everyone here is familiar with.

While I might be slightly off on a couple of points, it would seem that (performance issues aside) it has generally been IW who were responsible for adding most of the "complications" and extraneous features that the OP is complaining about, but it is clear that we've been gradually heading down this road ever since the franchise hit the PS3, regardless of who has been at the wheel (and LONG before your buddies were fired and/or left).

ChestSplittah

I don't give a damn about visual bs. So much more than how the visual crap functions online... which has been a disaster since the originators were fired. Adding most of the complications?  Theater... nope, Split Screeners. ..nope.. and a host of unnecessary jank...nope.

WHY even bring up CoD3?!?! That by far has to be the worst ( maybe tied with MW3.. or still in the lead) CoD ever made. Big Red One and Spiderman is the best they could and will ever do.

FACE Paint...??? There goes that awesome innovation. . "Hey!! I'm going to lay my gun... you do the same... I want to see if you're a Revlon girl... I prefer Clairol meself..".

Mojo33

Dude, who peed in your Cornflakes? Did you even bother to READ the OP?

"Im_not_BukLau wrote:

I love the WW2 setting but the main reason I'd like to see a return to the WW2 setting is that it would force a 'back to basics' approach on the devs. Think about it, there would be alot less equipment, streaks and attatchments and I feel that it would be more about gunskill because you would have less 'futuristic/modern' technology so no target finders, no portable radars/motion sensors, no shock charges etc. Of course we would never see a return to 3 5 and 7 killstreaks but I can't help but think there would be a lot less streaks."

I was simply pointing out the evolution of the franchise, from it's "simpler" roots to where it is now, and how none of this has anything whatsoever to do with certain people on the dev team being fired or leaving, since these "complexities" were already being added - by those very same devs - long before they ever left.

(FYI, I prefer "Nice 'N Easy", like my women)

azn_chic

I would love to get back to the WWII setting. I need my Garand back!! Also bring back the gore and blood!

PrimeTime1500

I heard a waw 2 is in progress by treyarch